ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State 700M stadium renovation

Why should the college viewing experience be any les than the pro one? I’d there Is a demand for boxes and suites then Build and sell them. Thea reticle posted said not 1 dollar is coming from the academic side or student costs. PSU has a 4.6 billion dollar endowment, if they cared about lowering costs they could use that. They don’t care because the demand to go through. Is through the roof. I know multiple NJ families whose kids were only admitted there is they did a summer session before their freshman year. They all gladly paid the bill.
Oh, and don’t get me wrong I hate Penn state but this is just smart business
Then spend $100 million to build suites and up the required donation.

I seem to remember reading years ago about the PSU athletic dept contributing or donating for an academic project. It might have been a new library or something similar funded that way. IF, IF, true then perhaps they actually have done so before. Would they do it again? Who knows.
In a very very very ironic twist of fate I remember vividly during the the whole Sandusky scandal the media talking about the Paterno Library and in one of the saddest yet most amusing ironies in the history of the universe the Paterno Catholic Church (I'm not kidding, wish I was)

Then spend $100 million to build suites and up the required donation.
Why spend 100 can you can afford 700?
Did you buy a cheaper house just because or what you could afford?

Those average salaries for Rutgers students 10 years after graduation are horrible. Not sure what the majors were, but $65 G is horrible. Guess some of those majors aren't worth the cost.

Rutgers 10 years after grad salary is $133,500. Penn State is $119,500.

An enrollment management strategy being used at the University Park/main campus. Probably to attract even more out of state students paying at a higher clip.
Over 40% of the student are out of state charging over $45k per student. I guess they don't care how many Pennsylvania students get in unlike NJ residents that cry that Rutgers is for in state students.

Over 40% of the student are out of state charging over $45k per student. I guess they don't care how many Pennsylvania students get in unlike NJ residents that cry that Rutgers is for in state students.
Despite keeping their purse strings in check for PSU (and Pitt & Temple), Harrisburg may not be nearly as adversarial towards its public flagship as Trenton. The latter actually levied an OOS penalty on Rutgers for years that was harmful to the university in more ways than one. Thankfully it was eliminated at some point several years back.

I don’t get the angst against state penn spending $3/4B…if you can swing it…do it…the arms races in college fb didn’t end because of nil…you still need prettier and shinier toys

Your argument is dumb. If you are gonna serve beer then why not have decent beer? And yes, when I go to NFL games, I prefer to sit in a box our lounge type environment. Partly for convenience,
Partly for better food and drink, but mostly to try and avoid shit bags. Seems like NFL can’t go a week without a video of some dude getting knocked unconscious in the stands. You like being surrounded by white trash drunk a-holes?

I think if you re-arrange a couple of the words in your last sentence you'd hit the nail on the head. LOL

I don’t get the angst against state penn spending $3/4B…if you can swing it…do it…the arms races in college fb didn’t end because of nil…you still need prettier and shinier toys
Exactly, what business is it of NJ taxpayers whether the Commonwealth of PA wants to spend money on their state university athletic program? What, is Harrisburg supposed to give that money to Trenton for Rutgers? Sounds like we have some fans that are very jealous of the fact that the PA taxpayers are willing to spend that type of money on their state U and we have to beg Trenton for every measly dime and then we still have residents endlessly complaining when do get some funding.

An enrollment management strategy being used at the University Park/main campus. Probably to attract even more out of state students paying at a higher clip.
Whereas no high school student on earth would want to spend a summer in New Brunswick. Need to change everything and make it a destination.

Rutgers shouldn’t be just for in state students - it should be a flagship that students from all over should want to come to. Plenty of other nj schools for the mediocre nj students. Make Camden southern NJ U and Newark northern NJ U. Let them each have their own law schools and business schools and have one Rutgers Law School and business school in NB. To have to go to business school in Newark or law school in Camden or Newark is ridiculous. Broken cities close to successful cities where there are true business opportunities and real money making law opportunities.

Rutgers 10 years after grad salary is $133,500. Penn State is $119,500.
It’s about wealth not income. What is wealth of Rutgers students vs penn state students?

Penn St is consistently at the top of college costs with the lowest return on investment. It’s also a good, but not great, academic school. Outside of its alumni few in the professional world think much of a Penn St degree. But, there’s no denying for 6-7 Saturdays they win the day.

Football is all they have. It drives donations and creates a strong alumni base. If you live in Pennsylvania I can understand why you want to go to your state school. If you’re from NJ, I guess 6-7 home football games are a top priority for you. Everyone is free to make whatever decisions they want to.

Exactly, what business is it of NJ taxpayers whether the Commonwealth of PA wants to spend money on their state university athletic program? What, is Harrisburg supposed to give that money to Trenton for Rutgers? Sounds like we have some fans that are very jealous of the fact that the PA taxpayers are willing to spend that type of money on their state U and we have to beg Trenton for every measly dime and then we still have residents endlessly complaining when do get some funding.
Nobody jealous, we shouldn’t have these type of threads about Penn State at all. Who cares how much they spend? Have a winning program for a couple of decades and maybe we can spend more on sports. I don’t think we should waste our money on any more stadium updates.

The Op, living in Tennessee hating on Rutgers, only posted the thread to get stupid people angry. I was only explaining the difference in how Penn State and Rutgers are treated by their own state and residences.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Penn St is consistently at the top of college costs with the lowest return on investment. It’s also a good, but not great, academic school. Outside of its alumni few in the professional world think much of a Penn St degree. But, there’s no denying for 6-7 Saturdays they win the day.

Football is all they have. It drives donations and creates a strong alumni base. If you live in Pennsylvania I can understand why you want to go to your state school. If you’re from NJ, I guess 6-7 home football games are a top priority for you. Everyone is free to make whatever decisions they want to.
Seriously? So are you speaking with knowledge of all 275 majors offered at University Park, including their top ten programs in supply chain management and materials, industrial and biological/agricultural engineering? You also obviously have never hired in PA, WV, and Maryland, University Park degrees out of their business school are highly valued. I hate PSU as much as the next guy, but this little brother syndrome gets to be over the top sometimes.

Reactions: 4382
Seriously? So are you speaking with knowledge of all 275 majors offered at University Park, including their top ten programs in supply chain management and materials, industrial and biological/agricultural engineering? You also obviously have never hired in PA, WV, and Maryland, University Park degrees out of their business school are highly valued. I hate PSU as much as the next guy, but this little brother syndrome gets to be over the top sometimes.

Got it — you reference 275 majors and point to 4? And if you want to drill down on rankings make sure you’re consistent. In Forbes, PSU comes in at #408. In USWR it is #60. Only an uninformed person would feel like a little brother when comparing their Rutgers degree to a PSU degree. I love Rutgers as much as next guy, but this mistaking a great football program for a great school gets to be over the top sometimes.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
Not sure I buy into that. It makes sense but in the traditional sense, all school costs are covered by incoming funds (tuition and whatever the state provides as a subsidy). Fees should just be part of tuition in my opinion and not a separate funding. Also, if a subset of students shouldn’t have to pay for a particular school cost in their tuition & other fees then all costs should be broken out and optional. Some might not want to subsidize other school funded decisions with their fees. This could apply to anything monies are spent on by the university, construction on a specific campus or for a specific purpose, arts, athletics, organizations, clubs, etc.
I would assume the student tickets may be a hit on the bottom line if can sell to general public but RU does sell student season tickets for Football and Basketball (Combo pack is $129.00). This allows students the to have all tickets in their account....rather than wait on-line per game. Students can also buy guest season tix for friends ($50.00) to sit in Student section.

In addition, kids do buy food and beer (if 21) at stadium.

Got it — you reference 275 majors and point to 4? And if you want to drill down on rankings make sure you’re consistent. In Forbes, PSU comes in at #408. In USWR it is #60. Only an uninformed person would feel like a little brother when comparing their Rutgers degree to a PSU degree. I love Rutgers as much as next guy, but this mistaking a great football program for a great school gets to be over the top sometimes.
Again, spoken from a person who has never hired professionals within PA, WV, or Maryland. Ignorance is bliss I guess, go for it!

What always gets me with these PSU threads is our fans who bring up academics on a sports board. The argument usually goes, well, yes, they are better at football and spend more, but we are better academically. We are better academically, but this is not an academic board, it is a sports board, the discussion should be how do we catch up and surpass PSU on the playing field, that is why we all come to a Rutgers sports board.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
What always gets me with these PSU threads is our fans who bring up academics on a sports board. The argument usually goes, well, yes, they are better at football and spend more, but we are better academically. We are better academically, but this is not an academic board, it is a sports board, the discussion should be how do we catch up and surpass PSU on the playing field, that is why we all come to a Rutgers sports board.

Goal Target GIF by Drawify

How about we don’t post about how much Penn State is spending? Not really a good comparison between the programs. The op knew there would be fighting.

Again, spoken from a person who has never hired professionals within PA, WV, or Maryland. Ignorance is bliss I guess, go for it!
You're partially correct - I have worked in the NY/NJ market for 25+ years, although I have hired Philly. If you're hanging your hat on WV and Maryland, I'll concede you've got me.

You're partially correct - I have worked in the NY/NJ market for 25+ years, although I have hired Philly. If you're hanging your hat on WV and Maryland, I'll concede you've got me.
I readily and happily concede that Rutgers is a better academic institution across the board, but having hired for businesses in PA, WV and Maryland, I can personally tell you that a University Park degree is valued. Now, nationally, another story, I think for business, which is what I know, you would definitely want a Rutgers degree. That is all I am saying, peace be with you.

Reactions: bitnez
I readily and happily concede that Rutgers is a better academic institution across the board, but having hired for businesses in PA, WV and Maryland, I can personally tell you that a University Park degree is valued. Now, nationally, another story, I think for business, which is what I know, you would definitely want a Rutgers degree. That is all I am saying, peace be with you.

There is an academics thread that those nerds can converse in

All good.

45k shouldn’t be too much to expect if there are around 700k living alums in the area , plus students plus the general public that roots for the team.
Kids choose to go to sports factories because of the sports. That is not why they choose Rutgers nor has it ever been so... at least not for the vast majority. If they are that interested, say, in football, they might choose to go elsewhere.

All programs are different.

Can you imagine the majority of families in New Jersey not scheduling a family event, wedding, birthday party, etc.. to coincide with a Rutgers game? That actually happens at teh sports factory schools... unless, of course, the wedding will take place at the tailgate.

None of them sell out their Spring games...

Here's Florida in 2018 before playing Colorado State

Nick de la Torre
@delatorre
Kickoff in 17 minutes

3:44 PM · Sep 15, 2018

Last edited:
Kids choose to go to sports factories because of the sports. That is not why they choose Rutgers nor has it ever been so... at least not for the vast majority. If they are that interested, say, in football, they might choose to go elsewhere.

All programs are different.

Can you imagine the majority of families in New Jersey not scheduling a family event, wedding, birthday party, etc.. to coincide with a Rutgers game? That actually happens at teh sports factory schools... unless, of course, the wedding will take place at the tailgate.

None of them sell out their Spring games...

Here's Florida in 2018 before playing Colorado State

Nick de la Torre
@delatorre
Kickoff in 17 minutes

3:44 PM · Sep 15, 2018
1 example of a late arriving crowd?

Rutgers should get 45k actual attendance in nice weather this week considering all of the factors I listed and being a Big Ten program that competes for players vs Pen St.

Reactions: Melissa71

Rutgers should get 45k actual attendance in nice weather this week considering all of the factors I listed and being a Big Ten program that competes for players vs Pen St.
Except unlike RU (for the most part) this was against freakin CSU and I’m willing to bet the stadium was packed when it was all said and done. This wasn’t bama or Tennessee they were playing. UF playing csu has about as much appeal as RU playing freakin Hampton…as in none!

Do we actually compete for players against PSU or is that lip service for the benefit of the fan base? Are there any players on the roster who PSU vigorously recruited that decided to go to Rutgers over PSU?

I was just at the Penn State game this weekend only because my son is a freshman. He’s a kid who grew up at Rutgers and was going to Rutgers all along but at the last minute changed to Penn State. Unfortunately, for football Penn State is everything we want to be (except for a child molester roaming the campus for 39 years), but they have a bunch of advantages:
1) winning tradition
2) the place is in the middle of nowhere so the game is the main event
3) They have nothing but land so all of the tailgating is right near the stadium. Our tailgates are just as good although we’re not all in one place.
4) All the students and people staying in State College walk to the game because the campus, town and stadium are in one place.

However, their stadium is terrible. You are packed in (your knees are up against the row in front of you), there aren’t enough, bathrooms, the aisles are too narrow and you can’t move, concessions are bad and their a hassle to get to, etc

Having said that, the atmosphere is incredible. The students start going in 2 hours before the game, the pregame is great with the Lion at midfield alone getting the crowd going, the band puts on a great show, and the PA is at a good level. The whole stadium sings along to the songs and the students have a lot of traditions and are well coordinated. Almost the whole crowd is there for pregame shows.

Rutgers game day management should go there to see how it’s run. They get you into the stadium right away too. Rutgers has to learn how to get people through the turnstiles quicker - then maybe we could have a good pregame show.

Rutgers will never have a stadium of 100,000+ but we should be able to pack our current place if we win and have a great game day atmosphere. It’s already good but it can be a lot better (turn down the PA, let the band play more, get rid of the horn, be more consistent pregame to mention a few).

We do have a great student section, just wish they would stay longer. If we win, maybe they will will. Penn State’s students and crowd stayed the whole game in the rain. The students want to stay for the alma mater.

Having said all this, I try to support my son and pull for them but I just can’t. I found myself rooting for Iowa. Their fans are pompous. Someday we’ll be better - we’re on our way.

Do we actually compete for players against PSU or is that lip service for the benefit of the fan base? Are there any players on the roster who PSU vigorously recruited that decided to go to Rutgers over PSU?
they introduce them before the game. Most seemed like they’re from Maryland, then PA and OH. Others Scattered around the country and only a few from NJ.

I was just at the Penn State game this weekend only because my son is a freshman. He’s a kid who grew up at Rutgers and was going to Rutgers all along but at the last minute changed to Penn State. Unfortunately, for football Penn State is everything we want to be (except for a child molester roaming the campus for 39 years), but they have a bunch of advantages:
1) winning tradition
2) the place is in the middle of nowhere so the game is the main event
3) They have nothing but land so all of the tailgating is right near the stadium. Our tailgates are just as good although we’re not all in one place.
4) All the students and people staying in State College walk to the game because the campus, town and stadium are in one place.

However, their stadium is terrible. You are packed in (your knees are up against the row in front of you), there aren’t enough, bathrooms, the aisles are too narrow and you can’t move, concessions are bad and their a hassle to get to, etc

Having said that, the atmosphere is incredible. The students start going in 2 hours before the game, the pregame is great with the Lion at midfield alone getting the crowd going, the band puts on a great show, and the PA is at a good level. The whole stadium sings along to the songs and the students have a lot of traditions and are well coordinated. Almost the whole crowd is there for pregame shows.

Rutgers game day management should go there to see how it’s run. They get you into the stadium right away too. Rutgers has to learn how to get people through the turnstiles quicker - then maybe we could have a good pregame show.

Rutgers will never have a stadium of 100,000+ but we should be able to pack our current place if we win and have a great game day atmosphere. It’s already good but it can be a lot better (turn down the PA, let the band play more, get rid of the horn, be more consistent pregame to mention a few).

We do have a great student section, just wish they would stay longer. If we win, maybe they will will. Penn State’s students and crowd stayed the whole game in the rain. The students want to stay for the alma mater.

Having said all this, I try to support my son and pull for them but I just can’t. I found myself rooting for Iowa. Their fans are pompous. Someday we’ll be better - we’re on our way.
They get 100,000 in the stands and another 10-15k that never make it into the games that travel to State College just for the tailgating. If you have ever visited or lived in that area you know the traffic begins to back up coming from Harrisburg thru Lewistown and up over the mountain to State College beginning on Friday. It is an awful place for a Rutgers fan, but the love they have for that football program is something to behold.

Yes.. that photo means that was the on;y case ever instead of teh easiest to find in a google search. I am sure it has never happened before or since to ANY "big time" program.

Geeze, dude.. you're a dog with a bone on this one.

You have set the mark, 45K actually in the seats for a Wagner game or you can shout here that Rutgers is not "big time".. which is something we all already know. But that is what we want to be. And your incessant need to insult Rutgers fans is just pathetic. Look in the mirror and wave hello to a real jackhole.

They get 100,000 in the stands and another 10-15k that never make it into the games that travel to State College just for the tailgating. If you have ever visited or lived in that area you know the traffic begins to back up coming from Harrisburg thru Lewistown and up over the mountain to State College beginning on Friday. It is an awful place for a Rutgers fan, but the love they have for that football program is something to behold.
They also have the advantage of more demand than seats. When many of the 100K who show up for a whiteout against a good team doesn't want to show up for some cupcake team at noon, they have many people to sell their tickets too who will be happy to attend that cupcake game because it is the only game they will go to that year. Rutgers is nowhere near that level yet and should not be compared to such programs for such measurements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT