ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Remember Tommy Devito, QB, Don Bosco? - Video

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
As I recall didn’t we pass on him? Check out this throw vs UNC today at the Carrier Dome. I should step away from the keyboard for the rest of the evening, ha!

Won 40-37 in double OT.
Year 3 of Babers (hired after Ash turned down SU???)
5-2 record.
Scoring like 40ppg.

But nope, some our fans criticize him for playing "Big 12" football and wouldn't want him here.
No. Only would've been criticized because hes not Schiano.

Reactions: DaveSNJ
https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...acuse_sf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DeVito's throwing ability is perhaps as outstanding as the program has seen in its history. Against the Tar Heels, he showcased that on a 50-yard fly to redshirt senior Jamal Custis -- DeVito's first play of the game after being subbed in with 5:07 left in regulation -- and again on a back-shoulder touchdown in overtime that he released with Custis at about the 14-yard line.

"He's as talented a thrower as I've ever seen," said Mike Teel, a former Rutgers quarterback who played three seasons in the NFL and coached DeVito at Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, N.J. "He's up there with as good as the NFL guys I've seen."

While it's unclear how SU head coach Dino Babers will utilize DeVito and senior Eric Dungey against No. 22 North Carolina State on Saturday at 7 p.m., DeVito's ability to make all the throws in the Orange's system -- and more -- has become publicly apparent.

Teel, who was hired at Don Bosco the summer between DeVito's sophomore and junior seasons, inherited a quarterback whose mechanics needed little tweaking. Aside from teaching DeVito to hitch up in the pocket so to close down the angles for opposing defensive ends, the two spoke almost exclusively about installing the system and game-planning.

Teel put together a pro-style playbook for DeVito, composed primarily of packages he ran at Rutgers and in the NFL.

"I wasn't sure how much I was going to be able to use of it because I'd never coached high school before," Teel said. "... By Week 3, it was, 'Let's give this kid as much as we can come up with.'"

DeVito led Don Bosco to a Non-Public, Group 4 state championship that season, going against the nation's toughest schedule, according to MaxPreps.com. The next year, Teel adjusted the offense to give DeVito more freedom at the line of scrimmage; instead of being able to check from one run play to another, he could check run-pass or pass-pass.

---
So did Devito pass on Rutgers and choose Syracuse, or did Rutgers cool off on him?
Would be nice to have Mike Teel back on the banks to coach up our QBs.

Reactions: IBleedScarlet
Kenny Pickett (Ocean Twp HS) starting at Pitt
Anthony Brown, St John Vianney, starting at Boston College
Jarrett Guarantano , Bergen C, starting at Tennessee
Flacco starting at Towson.
Devin Leary a frosh QB at NC St, might play next year.

I might be missing one or 2.

DeVito was a Finalist at that big combine in Eugene , Oregon,(The Opening?)

PS- DeVito from Cedar Grove, the birth place of great, small Italian players, lol (Bob Diaco, David Sinisi, Drew Evangelista, Mike Risimini, and David Njoku, lol)

We did but at that time we were somewhere in between running a spread, maybe thinking about running a spread, thinking we maybe ought to run a spread, and then F it let’s go pro style.

People will disagree but my feeling is, if you've got a backyard guy who has mad skills, being coached by an RU standout alum (and potential staff addition) then you offer him and tweak the offense around his skill set.

But then, nobody's paying me $2+ million a year to suck at my job.

Year 3 is when you should see competitive football games (not saying wins) with recruiting better than the first two years.

I'd like to see successful builds that didn't share these traits.

Reactions: NickRU714
I remember Devito visiting RU but recall that our staff was not high on him, maybe due to the spread offense we thought we were installing?

Is he a RS Freshman or true freshman? Didn’t we offer the kid from Temple who decommitted from RU instead of Devito? Don’t have total recall on this since I don’t follow recruiting as much as others.

And, he was constantly talking with Biebers when he was on the sidelines. Didn't know the QB could actually talk with the HC during a game. This knowledge is based on what I have seen this year watching RU.
I think that QB's are restricted from talking to HC's unless there is some learning to take place.

As VKJ said, I saw him play alll the big boys up in Bergen County. You had to be real bad at your job to know he was not gonna be a real good player. When he announced for Cuse, I knew they had a winner.

He is a winner like Mc Sorley. I love those gamer QB’s.

We did but at that time we were somewhere in between running a spread, maybe thinking about running a spread, thinking we maybe ought to run a spread, and then F it let’s go pro style.

Then make the QB we recruited a TE. It would've been a lot better to have any of those above mentioned QB's right now instead of a true freshman learning on the job who's not ready and has serious flaws right now.

This guy?

Naked-Couch.gif

...some our fans criticize him for playing "Big 12" football and wouldn't want him here.
He has a dome.. and plays mainly in the good weather states... outdoors in the big ten.. half the season will be in difficult weather for a run and shoot kind of thing you see in the Big XII.. even there the West Coast is better for that kind of thing. November in no joke in some of those plains locations.

Won 40-37 in double OT.
Year 3 of Babers (hired after Ash turned down SU???)
5-2 record.
Scoring like 40ppg.

But nope, some our fans criticize him for playing "Big 12" football and wouldn't want him here.

I want Babers. Hell, yes. Imagine if we poached him from the frozen Fruit Tundra.

He has a dome.. and plays mainly in the good weather states... outdoors in the big ten.. half the season will be in difficult weather for a run and shoot kind of thing you see in the Big XII.. even there the West Coast is better for that kind of thing. November in no joke in some of those plains locations.
Lot of the MAC teams use it and they're playing in the same weather. I think Montana uses/used it too during their nice runs in the FCS or how about New Hampshire during Chip Kelly's run. Just because you're in lousy weather doesn't mean you can't throw the ball with some efficiency and like I've said it's not as if some of these teams don't run the ball at all. Mike Leach is an extreme but there are variations to that.

Lot of the MAC teams use it and they're playing in the same weather. I think Montana uses/used it too during their nice runs in the FCS or how about New Hampshire during Chip Kelly's run. Just because you're in lousy weather doesn't mean you can't throw the ball with some efficiency and like I've said it's not as if some of these teams don't run the ball at all. Mike Leach is an extreme but there are variations to that.
Maybe MAC level and below DBs cannot punish teams that throw in wind like P5 DBs can. Maybe lower levels can protect QBs a bit more as well as DL are smaller and/or slower.

What I am suggesting is you need OSU level talent to play a spread O in the Big Ten... even then you may not win the conference every season with it.

If Appy State played that Michigan team up there in November.. do they win? I don't think so.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...acuse_sf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DeVito's throwing ability is perhaps as outstanding as the program has seen in its history. Against the Tar Heels, he showcased that on a 50-yard fly to redshirt senior Jamal Custis -- DeVito's first play of the game after being subbed in with 5:07 left in regulation -- and again on a back-shoulder touchdown in overtime that he released with Custis at about the 14-yard line.

"He's as talented a thrower as I've ever seen," said Mike Teel, a former Rutgers quarterback who played three seasons in the NFL and coached DeVito at Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, N.J. "He's up there with as good as the NFL guys I've seen."

While it's unclear how SU head coach Dino Babers will utilize DeVito and senior Eric Dungey against No. 22 North Carolina State on Saturday at 7 p.m., DeVito's ability to make all the throws in the Orange's system -- and more -- has become publicly apparent.

Teel, who was hired at Don Bosco the summer between DeVito's sophomore and junior seasons, inherited a quarterback whose mechanics needed little tweaking. Aside from teaching DeVito to hitch up in the pocket so to close down the angles for opposing defensive ends, the two spoke almost exclusively about installing the system and game-planning.

Teel put together a pro-style playbook for DeVito, composed primarily of packages he ran at Rutgers and in the NFL.

"I wasn't sure how much I was going to be able to use of it because I'd never coached high school before," Teel said. "... By Week 3, it was, 'Let's give this kid as much as we can come up with.'"

DeVito led Don Bosco to a Non-Public, Group 4 state championship that season, going against the nation's toughest schedule, according to MaxPreps.com. The next year, Teel adjusted the offense to give DeVito more freedom at the line of scrimmage; instead of being able to check from one run play to another, he could check run-pass or pass-pass.

---
So did Devito pass on Rutgers and choose Syracuse, or did Rutgers cool off on him?
Would be nice to have Mike Teel back on the banks to coach up our QBs.
That's why I'm always looking at KK and guys similar who can identify and develop these types and do well. Devito was put in that game due to ineffectiveness of Dungey too not because of injury or anything. Have seen a bit of that kind of substitution the last few weeks.

I don't know how good the qbs often mentioned here by you and others are....even AS with the flack he gets....but I'd have a lot more faith in the judgment and development with coaches like I mention vs the ones we've had.

Maybe MAC level and below DBs cannot punish teams that throw in wind like P5 DBs can. Maybe lower levels can protect QBs a bit more as well as DL are smaller and/or slower.

What I am suggesting is you need OSU level talent to play a spread O in the Big Ten... even then you may not win the conference every season with it.

If Appy State played that Michigan team up there in November.. do they win? I don't think so.
Kevin Wilson's IU teams were able to throw the ball...and he got them on the verge of respectable around 6 win area...it was his lousy defense rather than ineffective offense in cold weather that prevented him from doing better. If he had stuck around with Allen as DC he may have been able to keep them around there vs. the step back they took.

PS- DeVito from Cedar Grove, the birth place of great, small Italian players, lol (Bob Diaco, David Sinisi, Drew Evangelista, Mike Risimini, and David Njoku, lol)

I know we didn't have a chance at Leary or Guarantano, but we apparently passed on DeVito and Brown for Lewis. That is a firable offense alone. Aside from quarterback, it's sickening to see the kids that either decommitted or that we passed on starting for other P-5 schools. The amount is almost too many to keep track of. Recruiting throughout Ash's tenure and at the end of Flood's was truly horrific and it continues to be

Reactions: madchuck
Lewis was considered to be a 4 year starter and star, so Rutgers had no time for Devito and some other QB prospects

The fact that he switched the offense and made Lewis a tight end is on Ash and Ash alone.

Dome or not Dome but our starting QB this year has not completed a single pass over 29 yards. Not one. And every game we've played this year has been good weather. And the poor B1G weather didn't stop Gary Nova from throwing for 3000 yards. And it sure as shit doesn't stop Dwayne Haskins from leading the nation in yards. Stop making excuses.

But hasn't it been stated on this board numerous times to stop recruiting Jersey QB's because they are over rated?:cry:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT