ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Songs that you have to listen to the bitter end if they come on.

This one, which is a bit NSFW, has to be listened to until the end because while most of the song is good, it’s not great until the end when it suddenly becomes fvcking awesome. I like to think of this song as the official CE board song, but again, that only makes sense when listened to until the end.

this performance was particularly awesome...i'll listen to the song all the way thru no matter what medium...but this show...hell yes.

Reactions: mildone
I saw the original Lynyrd Skynyrd several weeks after this Freebird video was recorded. It was July of 1977 and I saw them at Convention Hall in Asbury Park. This was several months before their tragic plane crash in Oct 1977. A very good rock band . A very loud concert. It was the same night as the famous NYC blackout that summer. I never was into the rebel flag nonsense but wanted to see them; I was a very big fan of The Allman Brothers Band and was curious. The Allman’s were very different from a musical and cultural perspective, more wide ranging.

Reactions: Kbee3
That song brings back memories. Walking out of a Dead show at RFK parked by the Potomac at night on some mind altering drug. I came across this van with two burn barrels with fires roaring, side doors wide open with huge speakers blasting “Whole Lotta Love”. I was in awe till the song ended.
It's still the gold standard for hard rock. Imagine being at this concert back then. It's like "wtf just ran me over" lol...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
this performance was particularly awesome...i'll listen to the song all the way thru no matter what medium...but this show...hell yes.

The lightning from the keyboardist’s fingers... 👍. The song itself is ridiculously simple but the presentation, the “show”, and the fan participation was awesome. The fans would‘ve had a great time.

Reactions: okieKnight908
I am always a fan of the music posts on here and decided to start one based on a recent discussion with a friend. To me there are just certain songs that if you hear in the car but get to your destination you just have to sit and listen to all the way to the end. A few that immidiately come to mind for me are:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Layla - Derek and the Dominos
Jungleland- Bruce
Jesus of Suburbia- Greenday

What else ya got?
I think the OP’s first three have to be on every list....

Roundabout by Yes definitely fits the criteria for me. Kind of a lot of music is like that for me. My kids would often moan as I'd drive past the house and keep driving till a song would end.

This song, however, produced a really great parent memory. Their first time hearing this song, they were like 3, 5, and 7. We were in the Suburban at night, on the way home from somewhere.

They got utterly captivated by the quiet guitar harmonics during the intro and then, when the intense bass line kicked in, all three were violently bobbing their heads in perfect time with the song and each other, like little hardcore heavy metal rockers. Was equal parts hilarious and heartwarming.

I always listen to the end of Nights in White Satin even though I'm ambivalent about the song (I could take it or leave it) just to see if whatever radio station is playing it plays the Late Lament poem at the end. The choice to include the poem, instead of cutting things short, is what separates men from Neanderthals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT