ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John Vianney for high school - any recommendations?

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
Our daughter is scheduled to attend Colts Neck in 10 years, or possibly Howell or Freehold Twp. if our area gets re-districted. However, we know someone who attended SJV and raved about it (education, friends, athletics, school spirit, etc.).

Obviously the price tag has me hesitant. Almost 13 k, so figure 15 k or north when it's time. Our property taxes are north of 10 k, so I feel like it'd be a waste not to take advantage of a great public school system like the FTRHS system.

My wife and I are both public school educated, wife teaches in Manalapan, and we know about the students being able to choose which high school they attend based on what they'd like to study. However, we're only having 1 child and obviously want the best for her.

But with undergrad college costs, possible grad school, wedding, and us liking to retire in our mid 50's - early 60's, the thought of dropping 60 k on private school has me concerned. Few questions:

1. Does SJV offer tuition assistance or athletic / academic scholarships ?
2. Was what the experience like going there ?
3. I prefer SJV to RBC b/c of the country setting - any advantages to RBC or any other parochial schools ?
4. Colts Neck, FTHS or Howell - any experiences?
5. Busing - do they offer it for SJV ?

It looks like they have a strong athletics program all around, as well as a high academic and college placement ranking.

The other thing I am weighing is my daughter can attend Brookdale for free since I work there. With the thought of possibly 4 years of college after that (2 years under grad and 2 years grad school), do i want to spend 60 k on high school for my child to attend Brookdale for 2 years?

My wife and I are both public school educated, but I've always been intrigued by private / parochial school education / student life. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Both of our daughters went to SJV. We made the decision to "opt out" of Manalapan High School because, being on the first aid squad, I had a pretty good sense of how much of a zoo the place was.

No regrets whatsoever on SJV. The academics are great, the faculty is dedicated and focused and athletics are generally good. My oldest daughter was a 12-time varsity letter winner in XC and track and, at the time, SJV girls' XC was competing at the highest levels in the state.

SJV has an academic reciprocity program with Seton Hall for AP courses - for each one you take, assuming a passing score on the corresponding AP exam, you get course certification from SHU. My youngest entered her freshman year at Dickinson College as an academic sophomore.

Yes, it's expensive. They'll offer you data which demonstrates how you can eventually "win back" that money via college academic scholarships and, generally speaking, it's true. I know you can peel that onion a number of different ways, but our own personal experience proves the logic.

Our daughter is scheduled to attend Colts Neck in 10 years, or possibly Howell or Freehold Twp. if our area gets re-districted. However, we know someone who attended SJV and raved about it (education, friends, athletics, school spirit, etc.).

Obviously the price tag has me hesitant. Almost 13 k, so figure 15 k or north when it's time. Our property taxes are north of 10 k, so I feel like it'd be a waste not to take advantage of a great public school system like the FTRHS system.

My wife and I are both public school educated, wife teaches in Manalapan, and we know about the students being able to choose which high school they attend based on what they'd like to study. However, we're only having 1 child and obviously want the best for her.

But with undergrad college costs, possible grad school, wedding, and us liking to retire in our mid 50's - early 60's, the thought of dropping 60 k on private school has me concerned. Few questions:

1. Does SJV offer tuition assistance or athletic / academic scholarships ?
2. Was what the experience like going there ?
3. I prefer SJV to RBC b/c of the country setting - any advantages to RBC or any other parochial schools ?
4. Colts Neck, FTHS or Howell - any experiences?
5. Busing - do they offer it for SJV ?

It looks like they have a strong athletics program all around, as well as a high academic and college placement ranking.

The other thing I am weighing is my daughter can attend Brookdale for free since I work there. With the thought of possibly 4 years of college after that (2 years under grad and 2 years grad school), do i want to spend 60 k on high school for my child to attend Brookdale for 2 years?

My wife and I are both public school educated, but I've always been intrigued by private / parochial school education / student life. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Good luck with your decision! I believe some folks on this board have direct SJV experience and will reply. @RU4Real

Overall, the public school system has serious problems and there are getting worse, not better (due to stupid decisions by the state and federal governments). Even the best of the best public districts suffer. Resources focus on the two ends of the spectrum, kids with special needs and those truly gifted. The middle 80% of kids are just along for the ride.

My child (only 6) is in private and it has been remarkable. Not just the school, but also the peer group. Being friends and associated with other families that care about education is a huge benefit. Happy to answer any general private schools questions!

If Colts Neck is the option why spend money on SJV? Isn’t that a good school?

I think Colts Neck is a pretty good school and a solid choice if available to the OP.

One other thing to consider are the Monmouth magnets - Biotech, Hi Tech, Allied Health, Communications and MAST. All of them are exceptional, highly-regarded programs. Had the latter been an option to me 40 years ago, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I think Colts Neck is a pretty good school and a solid choice if available to the OP.

One other thing to consider are the Monmouth magnets - Biotech, Hi Tech, Allied Health, Communications and MAST. All of them are exceptional, highly-regarded programs. Had the latter been an option to me 40 years ago, I would have done it in a heartbeat.
Those magnets are essentially publicly-funded private schools. No-brainer if that is an option, but acceptance rates are very lows. They pick the best of the best students in the county to attend.

I’m a long-ago SJV grad. It was then and still is a good school. It’s not right for every kid. 10 years is a long way off for thinking about HS and situations change. It may seem like a hard decision now but when the time comes you’ll know whether private or public HS is right for your child. Lots of parents end up sending some of their kids to public and others to private - it depends upon the uniqueness of each kid (and your means).

Colts Neck is a VERY good HS. As other mentioned, your first option should be the mage net schools if you are really seeking competitive academics. If you are considering SJV do not consider it for the academics. I have heard too many stories of it just not measuring up. But if you want the Catholic School experience, and have a connection to certain athletics, and it has the dual program with Brookdale, it may be your choice. Many, very good public high schools along the shore will take tuition students. I’m not sure all of them but I do know Shore Regional and Point Beach take tuition students for less than SJV, RBC, Donovan Catholic. Good luck!

My firsthand experience would contradict this, so you're going to have to be very specific.

If you are comparing SJV to local surrounding HS’s. Holmdel, Colts Neck, Rumson-FH, County Magnets, CBA - it isn’t close.

Over the past 15 years SJV has fallen behind many of the public schools including those not mentioned in technology offerings.

Again- HS is a comprehensive experience. There are many positives to SJV but academics is not really superior and in many comparisons behind.

It may seem like a hard decision now but when the time comes you’ll know whether private or public HS is right for your child. Lots of parents end up sending some of their kids to public and others to private - it depends upon the uniqueness of each kid (and your means).
This is very good advice.....to match your child with the school. There is also a trend for parents to send kids to privates for the foundation years (EC and K thru 4th), not just the prep HS years. Many public school kids are not prepared for an elite prep school experience and some drop out and return to public.

If you are comparing SJV to local surrounding HS’s. Holmdel, Colts Neck, Rumson-FH, County Magnets, CBA - it isn’t close.

Over the past 15 years SJV has fallen behind many of the public schools including those not mentioned in technology offerings.

Again- HS is a comprehensive experience. There are many positives to SJV but academics is not really superior and in many comparisons behind.
Don't bucket public districts with the county magnets. Apples and oranges except for their source of funding.

Find us the ranking that compares all high schools in NJ, both public and private, on the same list.

Both my son and daughter attend SJV. They thoroughly enjoy the school and find the block scheduling much easier to manage than the standard A/B school day. My wife and I are very happy we sent them there.

Unless you live in Asbury Park or Keansburg or maybe Long Branch or Neptune I don’t know why anyone in Monmouth County would piss away their hard earned money on private school. But hey, to each his own.

As always it’s about the kid having a bit of natural intelligence, applying him or herself and parent involvement. Everything else is a slick marketing campaign and propaganda.

You’re asking this with 10 years to go? Things will be completely different then. Maybe ask again in 9 years?
This is a good post. My example, Catholic vs. Public. My nephew went to St. Joe's(metuchen) freshman year. He said his 7th grade public school was harder academically. Not even close.

This is a good post. My example, Catholic vs. Public. My nephew went to St. Joe's(metuchen) freshman year. He said his 7th grade public school was harder academically. Not even close.
Most diocese-based catholic schools are struggling, especially academically. SJV and probably St. Paul's in Princeton are a few of the exceptions.

I understand private school if you live in an urban area, such as Newark or JC but aren’t the public schools just as good in middle class towns without the 10-15k a year price tag? For instance I grew up near the Morris / Sussex border and Pope Johns rest scores were similar to the surrounding public schools. I’m genuinely interested to understand why private?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Unless you live in Asbury Park or Keansburg or maybe Long Branch or Neptune I don’t know why anyone in Monmouth County would piss away their hard earned money on private school. But hey, to each his own.

As always it’s about the kid having a bit of natural intelligence, applying him or herself and parent involvement. Everything else is a slick marketing campaign and propaganda.
100% Agree. If your kid has an eye on college and wants to succeed in life, most HS's in Monmouth County will get it right. Use that money to get a jump on the college bills. Both my sons went to RHS and went to Rutgers and have great high paying jobs so couple that going out of state or private in state colleges could really cost a fortune. Some in state private colleges cost over $50 grand and need or average C students. How average for that kind of money does a resume from schools like that look for a person looking to hire?

I understand private school if you live in an urban area, such as Newark or JC but aren’t the public schools just as good in middle class towns without the 10-15k a year price tag? For instance I grew up near the Morris / Sussex border and Pope Johns rest scores were similar to the surrounding public schools. I’m genuinely interested to understand why private?
There are different types of private schools. At a minimum, you need to separate the catholic-dioceses based schools (which have more limited resources) and the purely private schools (which include independent catholic schools). The higher end privates easily outperform the "best" public districts and it isn't close. FYI, this statement doesn't include county-based magnet schools, which are essentially private schools paid for by public money.

Reactions: Phi_1055
Back to some of the questions posed by the OP

Some things haven’t changed over the years and will probably still be true in ten years. 1. SJV has a limited amount of tuition assistance available and 2. busing is either provided by the town where you live or private school bus companies that service your town. SJV does not provide busing.

Every time discussion of catholic schools start on these boards lots of posters who never attended catholic school or never sent a child to one feel obligated to chime in and bash them based on heresay or preconceived notions. I would advise you to ignore them.

Something you didn’t ask about but should consider - a catholic school education is at least as much about a way of life as it is about academics. For kids who attended public elementary school transitioning to catholic school for HS can be a cultural shock and they will find that the vast majority of their classmates have attended catholic elementary schools and have much more in common with each other. If you are already considering SJV for HS you should at least explore the possibility of catholic school for elementary.

You can have your daughter shadow a SJV student for the day so she can get a feel of the school

Reactions: T2Kplus10
No bashing. If you make a lot of money and for some reason think it’s going to put the kid on a better path in life, have at it. It’s your money. To me it’s akin to paying for school twice.
You pay for RU, so would you not consider Princeton if your child was able to get it?

Back to some of the questions posed by the OP

Some things haven’t changed over the years and will probably still be true in ten years. 1. SJV has a limited amount of tuition assistance available and 2. busing is either provided by the town where you live or private school bus companies that service your town. SJV does not provide busing.

Every time discussion of catholic schools start on these boards lots of posters who never attended catholic school or never sent a child to one feel obligated to chime in and bash them based on heresay or preconceived notions. I would advise you to ignore them.

Something you didn’t ask about but should consider - a catholic school education is at least as much about a way of life as it is about academics. For kids who attended public elementary school transitioning to catholic school for HS can be a cultural shock and they will find that the vast majority of their classmates have attended catholic elementary schools and have much more in common with each other. If you are already considering SJV for HS you should at least explore the possibility of catholic school for elementary.
Very good advice in this post and love the last paragraph. My daughter goes to an independent catholic school (it's a prep school first with catholic on the side! :) ). The environment is so different and refreshing. You don't have to silo your life and keep your religion on the separated (and FYI, we are mediocre catholics as best). You are taught all of these lessons and about all other religions and cultures in an intimate way. Even though it is a catholic school, only 50-55% of students are catholic (due to the quality of academics and other benefits).

My wife and I chose this school for many reasons and the religious nature was actually secondary. However, we have been surprised with how much we love this aspect of the school and how well it is helping to develop our daughter into an empathetic and caring child. And getting out of 9 years of CCD/Sunday school is a huge bonus!

Manalapan resident here. My son is RU Alum and was accepted to the International Studies magnet program at Freehold Township HS.

Was a great Education and cost me nothing except my taxes. Manalapan HS is a large suburban HS and there are crazy things that go on there, but those things go on at every school and even at SJV. They just have more money to hide those things.

If your child is a bright student and motivated then there is no need to spend extra money on a private school. They will do just fine in any of the Freehold Regional Schools.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Pure, unadulterated bullshit.

I've been to MTHS on 100 EMS calls. The place is a f*ckin' zoo. It's Lord of the Flies.
+1
The stuff that happens at public high schools is many orders of magnitudes worse than privates. This is not debatable in any way.

Wait, 10 years?

I have a 3yo boy and 18month girl.
Do we already need to worry about high schools already?

My wife and I were hoping they would be implanting chips in skulls by then and uploading data like the matrix.

There are different types of private schools. At a minimum, you need to separate the catholic-dioceses based schools (which have more limited resources) and the purely private schools (which include independent catholic schools). The higher end privates easily outperform the "best" public districts and it isn't close. FYI, this statement doesn't include county-based magnet schools, which are essentially private schools paid for by public money.
What are you basing this on? Because what I have seen and heard is the exact opposite. But again you compare apples to oranges . If you want your kid to go to private school and can afford it then go for it but I know where I live I would not send my kids to private school. Good luck with your decision.

What are you basing this on? Because what I have seen and heard is the exact opposite. But again you compare apples to oranges . If you want your kid to go to private school and can afford it then go for it but I know where I live I would not send my kids to private school. Good luck with your decision.
Basing it on facts - college acceptance data and test scores (and not just for college, but MAP scores and other progress testing).

Basing it on facts - college acceptance data and test scores (and not just for college, but MAP scores and other progress testing).
So you want to say that a private institution that takes only the best hardest working students from all of the schools around it is better than the public schools that have to teach and educate everyone that shows up. College acceptance data is complete BS for the same reason. I know of a private school student who went to a prestigious Northern NJ Private school who took multiple AP’s and got 1’s on them while my public school child took the same ones and got 5’s. The reality is that you can skew the numbers any way you want but the numbers you are using are the worst. Why don’t you compare bestto best. Because if you did that you would see that all the money you are spending on private school is being wasted, but it is your money so go ahead. And the kids in the district have plenty of access to schools as witnessed by the slew of ED acceptances in the past couple of weeks.

So you want to say that a private institution that takes only the best hardest working students from all of the schools around it is better than the public schools that have to teach and educate everyone that shows up. College acceptance data is complete BS for the same reason. I know of a private school student who went to a prestigious Northern NJ Private school who took multiple AP’s and got 1’s on them while my public school child took the same ones and got 5’s. The reality is that you can skew the numbers any way you want but the numbers you are using are the worst. Why don’t you compare bestto best. Because if you did that you would see that all the money you are spending on private school is being wasted, but it is your money so go ahead. And the kids in the district have plenty of access to schools as witnessed by the slew of ED acceptances in the past couple of weeks.
Thanks for your data point of one. I will stick to the full set of data that proves my POV. Instead of getting angry, read some of the posts in this thread, including mine that talks about where public schools do well and how not all privates schools are equal.

Thanks for your data point of one. I will stick to the full set of data that proves my POV. Instead of getting angry, read some of the posts in this thread, including mine that talks about where public schools do well and how not all privates schools are equal.
I am not angry and if you read my post or the one before I fully believe that everyone needs to make the choice that is best for them but I will tell you that if you child is smart to being with they will be successful no matter where they go.

People seem to pick HS ‘s for lots of reasons and it seems the academic portion of it appears to be taking a back seat more and more. I have two friends who both sent there kids to private schools because they believed that they would have better athletic options to participate earlier than then would have if they stayed at the public
school. I would say that you can keep an eye on it but as others have said 10 years is a long time. As your child gets closer to HS age you will start to see what they like and or are good at. If you think Private school is the choice than look at the Private school that will help them most. Several private schools have aid and scholarships but that will be something that you will need to discuss with each school at the time. ( we were offered aid from several schools for my son). Are there any choice schools in the area? You can look at those as well. I would think that schools like Rumson and Colts Neck would be great options but I am not sure if you reside within their district.

I nothing about SJV but I would find both people who liked it and people who did not. Maybe the people who did not like it didn’t for reasons that would not affect your kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT