ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John Vianney for high school - any recommendations?

Back to the premise that publics educate everyone, and privates educate only the 'hardest working, motivated, etc." therefore those offer a stricter, more rigorous academic experience.

I believe privates are not remotely limited to the hardest working students but instead comprised of kids whose parents insist that they go and/or students who've struggled academically and need the discipline/structure to cope and succeed in school.

The hardest-working cohort do perfectly well in public schools, get into top colleges, etc.

Back to the premise that publics educate everyone, and privates educate only the 'hardest working, motivated, etc." therefore those offer a stricter, more rigorous academic experience.

I believe privates are not remotely limited to the hardest working students but instead comprised of kids whose parents insist that they go and/or students who've struggled academically and need the discipline/structure to cope and succeed in school.

The hardest-working cohort do perfectly well in public schools, get into top colleges, etc.

Depends on the private school in question.

I don't know specifics on other schools but SJV has an admissions test, in addition to GPA requirements, so the assumption is that if you're academically unqualified, you're not getting in.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Colts Neck High School isn't part of the Colts Neck public school system.

If you're going to accuse others of spewing nonsense, then you have to be more exact.
What High School is in the Colts Neck Public School System ?

There isn’t. They only have 2 elementary ones and a middle school.

The high school while in Colts Neck is part of the Freehold Regional School District.

There isn't one.

Colts Neck High School is part of the Freehold Regional High School District - along with Manalapan HS, Howell HS, Marlboro HS, Freehold Boro HS and Freehold Township HS.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
There isn't one.

Colts Neck High School is part of the Freehold Regional High School District - along with Manalapan HS, Howell HS, Marlboro HS, Freehold Boro HS and Freehold Township HS.
How do those other High Schools schools rate :
Academically and safety wise ?

Good luck to the OP. You mentioned this decision is 10 years off so I would keep a close eyes on the districting for the public schools, how SJV continues to rank, any new agreements Brookdale has, and other factors. Also, see if the state approves school vouchers for privates. Right now it doesn't exist but if things change you may find a lot more families being able to use some tax dollars towards private school.

As of today a school like SJV is good for:
- those who want a religious education
- those who don't want the bad apples that public schools are forced to take (every kid won't be an AP student but you won't have the bad apples that refuse to do homework or cause disruptions in class that publics have to take)
- smaller class sizes
- private school feel
- parents who can afford private school

How do those other High Schools schools rate :
Academically and safety wise ?

As much as I've been able to determine, they're not terribly different from each other. They all have grad rates in the low 90s and average SAT scores around 1200.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Had daughters in public and private schools ln Monmouth county.

The issue with the large public schools is that it is easy to get lost in the general population. If the student is in advance placement classes they should do fine.

I can understand the "zoo" reference by an earlier poster - not limited to manalapan.

Younger daughter went to RBC and did fine - but prepared her very well for college - which she is currently thriving.
Depends on the child and their personalities.

What I strongly suggest are avoiding traps such as chosing the school to be with friends or playing time in athletics - these should be secondary considerations. Regarding sports too often I have seen parents transfer kids from competitive sport schools to public schools simply for playing time in the sport.

I think Colts Neck is a pretty good school and a solid choice if available to the OP.

One other thing to consider are the Monmouth magnets - Biotech, Hi Tech, Allied Health, Communications and MAST. All of them are exceptional, highly-regarded programs. Had the latter been an option to me 40 years ago, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Freehold Regional High School District is a solid district offering expanded and intensified programs in many areas. I think it would depend on your daughter's interests and her grades. If there is an advanced option she qualified for in the district grab it Spots are limited. But SJV is a good school in it's own right. Sports programs up and down over the years

This is always an interesting topic. I'm dealing with now as I have an 8th grader. We live in a fine school district and I have no issues with the local HS. She wants to go to an all-girls Catholic HS. She's an excellent student and would do well wherever she goes, but she likes the smaller more intimate environment at the private school. We likely won't move out of our current town but we are talking about downsizing, which I want to do anyway. I have empty rooms I don't use and the taxes are unnecessarily too high. None of her friends are going to the same school and I'm good with that even though they come from good families, and the parents are my personal friends.

This tends to be a very personal decision though. My wife and I have learned to keep our comments to ourselves because we managed to insult our friends when we've been asked to explain why we support our daughter's HS choice (as opposed to the HS of their daughter, etc). Everyone should do what they believe is best for their family.

Depends on the private school in question.

I don't know specifics on other schools but SJV has an admissions test, in addition to GPA requirements, so the assumption is that if you're academically unqualified, you're not getting in.
+1
If you are trying to get into any top private school in 3rd grade or beyond, there are tests and an academic review process to ensure you are qualified (the demand outpaces the supply, so good schools get to choose their students).

This is always an interesting topic. I'm dealing with now as I have an 8th grader. We live in a fine school district and I have no issues with the local HS. She wants to go to an all-girls Catholic HS. She's an excellent student and would do well wherever she goes, but she likes the smaller more intimate environment at the private school. We likely won't move out of our current town but we are talking about downsizing, which I want to do anyway. I have empty rooms I don't use and the taxes are unnecessarily too high. None of her friends are going to the same school and I'm good with that even though they come from good families, and the parents are my personal friends.

This tends to be a very personal decision though. My wife and I have learned to keep our comments to ourselves because we managed to insult our friends when we've been asked to explain why we support our daughter's HS choice (as opposed to the HS of their daughter, etc). Everyone should do what they believe is best for their family.
The data shows a very clear benefit for girls attending same sex schools (data is more mixed for boys) and not just for academics, but also leadership skills and overall confidence.

And no NJ private HS is a Princeton, despite what their proponents think.

As high schools go, I would think Lawrenceville Prep might be up there. :-)

I went to Catholic high school and two of my kids went/go to Catholic HS. Marginally better academically but a different environment. Not for everyone. Personal choice, of course.

For the most part, Catholic high schools should not be confused with true "private schools" in NJ (boarding schools, plus schools like Pingry, Newark Academy, etc.). The name brand privates tend to send a lot more kids to elite colleges. (I would think Delbarton is more like a true private school in this sense.) They really are prep schools and the guidance counselors are on a first name basis with people in admissions at top schools.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Reactions: Knight Shift
As high schools go, I would think Lawrenceville Prep might be up there. :)

I went to Catholic high school and two of my kids went/go to Catholic HS. Marginally better academically but a different environment. Not for everyone. Personal choice, of course.

For the most part, Catholic high schools should not be confused with true "private schools" in NJ (boarding schools, plus schools like Pingry, Newark Academy, etc.). The name brand privates tend to send a lot more kids to elite colleges. (I would think Delbarton is more like a true private school in this sense.) They really are prep schools and the guidance counselors are on a first name basis with people in admissions at top schools.
Lawrenceville School is one of the top prep schools in the entire nation.....top 3 or 5 on practically every list. Agreed on the difference between diocese-based catholic schools and independent private schools (including independent catholic schools like Delbarton), big differences.

I would suggest that if you are concerned with developing self esteem and confidence - private catholic school is an appropriate choice as opposed to being lumped in to a large public school environment.

Parents need to know their kid. A good friend from Westfield had 3 kids and they each went to a different high school because they each had different needs.

One to a small expensive private, one to a small catholic and one to the public high school.

Parents need to know their kid. A good friend from Westfield had 3 kids and they each went to a different high school because they each had different needs.

One to a small expensive private, one to a small catholic and one to the public high school.

I just marvel at paying Westfield taxes and not sending your kid to school there. It's one of the best in the state and probably the country. Assuming the parents work in the city or Morristown area, they are basically just burning money.

Reactions: Local Shill
Lawrenceville School is one of the top prep schools in the entire nation.....top 3 or 5 on practically every list. Agreed on the difference between diocese-based catholic schools and independent private schools (including independent catholic schools like Delbarton), big differences.
I just marvel at paying Westfield taxes and not sending your kid to school there. It's one of the best in the state and probably the country. Assuming the parents work in the city or Morristown area, they are basically just burning money.

Easy to spend another man’s paycheck and raise another man’s kids. You managed to do both :)

Our daughter is scheduled to attend Colts Neck in 10 years, or possibly Howell or Freehold Twp. if our area gets re-districted. However, we know someone who attended SJV and raved about it (education, friends, athletics, school spirit, etc.).

Obviously the price tag has me hesitant. Almost 13 k, so figure 15 k or north when it's time. Our property taxes are north of 10 k, so I feel like it'd be a waste not to take advantage of a great public school system like the FTRHS system.

My wife and I are both public school educated, wife teaches in Manalapan, and we know about the students being able to choose which high school they attend based on what they'd like to study. However, we're only having 1 child and obviously want the best for her.

But with undergrad college costs, possible grad school, wedding, and us liking to retire in our mid 50's - early 60's, the thought of dropping 60 k on private school has me concerned. Few questions:

1. Does SJV offer tuition assistance or athletic / academic scholarships ?
2. Was what the experience like going there ?
3. I prefer SJV to RBC b/c of the country setting - any advantages to RBC or any other parochial schools ?
4. Colts Neck, FTHS or Howell - any experiences?
5. Busing - do they offer it for SJV ?

It looks like they have a strong athletics program all around, as well as a high academic and college placement ranking.

The other thing I am weighing is my daughter can attend Brookdale for free since I work there. With the thought of possibly 4 years of college after that (2 years under grad and 2 years grad school), do i want to spend 60 k on high school for my child to attend Brookdale for 2 years?

My wife and I are both public school educated, but I've always been intrigued by private / parochial school education / student life. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I know plenty of kids that went to catholic school, and literally only one of them is doing something more than the average person, but they got handed a job by a relative. That being said, most of my public school friends are doing way better than my private school friends. I always believe private is a waste of money. Educations are pretty similar, your daughter may meet a guy with a rich dad and then be set if they are HS sweethearts though...

Reactions: rutgers0423
I know plenty of kids that went to catholic school, and literally only one of them is doing something more than the average person, but they got handed a job by a relative. That being said, most of my public school friends are doing way better than my private school friends. I always believe private is a waste of money. Educations are pretty similar, your daughter may meet a guy with a rich dad and then be set if they are HS sweethearts though...

Sounds to me like you simply know a lot of unexceptional people.

No one is saying that everyone who goes to a private high school is going to become a Supreme Court justice. Again, it a lot depends on the kids and how they were raised. I have one with a graduate degree in a medical field and another who is currently at a prestigious law school. Would they have done as well at a public school? Maybe. But the added value of their catholic high school education was, in our opinion, worth the money.

Sounds to me like you simply know a lot of unexceptional people.

No one is saying that everyone who goes to a private high school is going to become a Supreme Court justice. Again, it a lot depends on the kids and how they were raised. I have one with a graduate degree in a medical field and another who is currently at a prestigious law school. Would they have done as well at a public school? Maybe. But the added value of their catholic high school education was, in our opinion, worth the money.

Well my cousin went to manlapan high and is an orthopedic surgeon, my friend went to St Joes and is a car salesman. My cousin went to public HS and had his own show on WFAN, my friend went to SJV and is making 40k a year in marketing. Im just saying I think private catholic schools are overrated nowadays and will probably be worse of 10 years from now

Well my cousin went to manlapan high and is an orthopedic surgeon, my friend went to St Joes and is a car salesman. My cousin went to public HS and had his own show on WFAN, my friend went to SJV and is making 40k a year in marketing. Im just saying I think private catholic schools are overrated nowadays and will probably be worse of 10 years from now

You're cherry-picking. One of my oldest daughter's friends went to MTHS, got pregnant and dropped out.

I have neither the time nor the inclination for your stupidity. Welcome to my ignore list.

• Haha

He makes enough that money is never an issue.

Between high school, college and graduate school I believe he spent close to a million dollars

• Wow
He makes enough that money is never an issue.

Between high school, college and graduate school I believe he spent close to a million dollars
Yup, sounds about right. For us, 14 years of private school (pre-K thru 12) and college, tracking to be around $700k. No grad school, you gotta drawn the line somewhere!
:)

You're cherry-picking. One of my oldest daughter's friends went to MTHS, got pregnant and dropped out.

I have neither the time nor the inclination for your stupidity. Welcome to my ignore list.

I guess more so what I am trying to get at is that it's about the individual kid/kids. Let them make the decision that they feel is best for them. Private School vs Public you can't tell me that education is so vastly different or that it really gives you a leg up. The kid may not want to go that route, so one shouldn't force it on them

I guess more so what I am trying to get at is that it's about the individual kid/kids. Let them make the decision that they feel is best for them. Private School vs Public you can't tell me that education is so vastly different or that it really gives you a leg up. The kid may not want to go that route, so one shouldn't force it on them

Its not the curriculum or the teachers - it is the peer competition.

Let me mention this. Two families I know ran into this issue. They sent this kids to Catholic school 30 mins away and soon after they did they realized they lost 100% control over their kids social life. Their friends were now all over and lived up to an hour away. When their children went to parties they no longer knew the parents or even the neighborhood. Every party wound up being a bunch of people sleeping at this house, a bunch at this house etc. not ever really knowing what was true.

Because the school kids were from all over and relatively smaller enrollment, their kids also started hanging out with Juniors and Seniors much earlier for convienance (rides to school, parties etc.) it was an unexpected dynamic and unfortunate for one.

Private vs Public is all about personal choice. There is value to both.

With publics it teaches kids to deal with everyone from all socioeconomic and educational backgrounds. It leads to being able to deal with diversity.

Some privates can be same sex, 1 religion, limited ethnic diversity, similar socioeconomic families, etc...

Parents have to weigh both sides when making a decision.

For some that I know that went the Catholic private route they went to a religious HS, religious private college, and because the school had good networking it led to nice careers.

For those who went to the town public and then the big state school the netwokring may be limited and you need to learn to do more of it yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT