ADVERTISEMENT

OT: That time of year- Snow Blower recommendations

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
Looking to buy my first Snow Blower. We never had one for the house we just sold as the entire DW was pavers and my wife did not want to run a snow blower on them.

We are now renting a property and the driveway is about 100 ft long but a very steep grade. Would need a self propelled. I would like to keep the price under $800...and good recommendations? And what I should look for

Thank you in advance

Looking to buy my first Snow Blower. We never had one for the house we just sold as the entire DW was pavers and my wife did not want to run a snow blower on them.

We are now renting a property and the driveway is about 100 ft long but a very steep grade. Would need a self propelled. I would like to keep the price under $800...and good recommendations? And what I should look for

Thank you in advance

Ariens

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I bought an Ariens last year and I can say it looked great all winter. I have no idea how it works because it never snowed but it looks great.
Always the case...lol Very similar to me installing a 22kW whole house generator after Sandy in my previous home right after Sandy and never lost power again after installing. And now, sold that house in January and just this month alone, lost power for 5 days earlier this month and for 8 hours yesterday. So now, have to buy a generator for this house in hopes we never lose power again. lol

Ariens, reviews look good for the Classic 24 that comes in at $799

Reactions: T2Kplus10
It dosent snow anymore. I heard Ariens are the best but u will pay for it. I have a Husquvarna that works fine for me. Sucks I haven’t had a chance to use it the last two years.

Always the case...lol Very similar to me installing a 22kW whole house generator after Sandy in my previous home right after Sandy and never lost power again after installing. And now, sold that house in January and just this month alone, lost power for 5 days earlier this month and for 8 hours yesterday. So now, have to buy a generator for this house in hopes we never lose power again. lol

It’s too late now but the best time to buy was last spring Home Depot was practically giving away Ariens snowblowers because they pre built so many and with no snow they had no place to store them.

Ariens is a good name. Make sure you get chains to help you with traction on that steep incline.

Thank you in advance

It dosent snow anymore. I heard Ariens are the best but u will pay for it. I have a Husquvarna that works fine for me. Sucks I haven’t had a chance to use it the last two years.
Last year- not much at all- I think maybe one storm that even reached 3-4 inches. The previous year, had a few big storms. But if I dont buy one, you know it will be a record breaking year and my old back just cant hand shovel anymore

Reactions: Kbee3 and Postman_1
Last year- not much at all- I think maybe one storm that even reached 3-4 inches. The previous year, had a few big storms. But if I dont buy one, you know it will be a record breaking year and my old back just cant hand shovel anymore

But the real measure is how many thousands of TKR posts did the winter weather leave behind 😄

I've been holding out for the robotic snowblower I can watch from my window while drinking coffee. Seemed they were getting close but haven't seen anything convincing yet.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Suppose to be a warm winter and little snow if any.

since your budget is somewhat limited, look on facebook, I bought a nice one which retailed at $1000, for $200 about 3 years ago. it was in July so demand was low. Problem is, I've used it maybe 3 times in 3 winters. Last year not once.

EGO battery Two Stage coming out soon.

No maintenance and you can use batteries for lawn equipment

EGO battery Two Stage coming out soon.

No maintenance and you can use batteries for lawn equipment

But it's electric ... can't be good. So sick of these commies pushing that stuff on us. If 'lectricity is so great, why'd God fill earth with oil?

They'll take my kerosene lamps and gas powered toaster ...as they step over my bloody carcass!!!

Thank you in advance
With the amount of snow we've gotten recently just buy a bag of salt. It should last you three or four years. I've got bags sitting in the garage which have now become 40 lb. anchors.

Your saying it wrong. It’s a snow blowah umm kayy. And no one operates one bettah dem the sports Pope. He is numbah one both on the air and with the blowah. Utterwise Julio would nevah be able to get up his driveway to get him to the fan and get us our sports. I don’t see @ru66 boy michal Kay doing much with a snow blowah like Mike does. That’s why kayvwill always be numbah 2.

@RU Cheese

I bought an Ariens last year and I can say it looked great all winter. I have no idea how it works because it never snowed but it looks great.

Same here.

Bought an Ariens last year ... first every snow blower ... sounds like a beast when I start it ... but never got to use it.

But, in any case, Ariens are supposed to be the best.

Your saying it wrong. It’s a snow blowah umm kayy. And no one operates one bettah dem the sports Pope. He is numbah one both on the air and with the blowah. Utterwise Julio would nevah be able to get up his driveway to get him to the fan and get us our sports. I don’t see @ru66 boy michal Kay doing much with a snow blowah like Mike does. That’s why kayvwill always be numbah 2.

@RU Cheese
Agree. Ive never seen anyone obsess about Michael Kay as much as @ru66 . Guy is obsessed.

I am at the stage where I hire a guy with a truck to plow my driveway

The next level.

During my worst winter, had an awesome neighbor who'd come over and plow out my driveway with a little UTV with bulldozer-style shovel. Guy was a lifesaver, but only there occasionally since it was a vacation home. When he wasn't around, I'd sometimes quietly sneak away in the plow truck from work and save the hours of shoveling it'd take just to get through the pile left by the municipal plow. Must have had 250+ inches of snow that year.

Alternative plan, OP: that range rover would look much more rugged with a plow in front 😄

No need to go super expensive for a snowblower in NJ. Even on a heavy snow year, you'll likely be using it less than 5x per year. Lesser brand such as yard machines is fine if you take care of it. Whichever way you go, get a 2 stage machine.

Reactions: RU Golfer
The next level.

During my worst winter, had an awesome neighbor who'd come over and plow out my driveway with a little UTV with bulldozer-style shovel. Guy was a lifesaver, but only there occasionally since it was a vacation home. When he wasn't around, I'd sometimes quietly sneak away in the plow truck from work and save the hours of shoveling it'd take just to get through the pile left by the municipal plow. Must have had 250+ inches of snow that year.

Alternative plan, OP: that range rover would look much more rugged with a plow in front 😄

I think it was 1996 when we had like 3 huge snow storms. I lived in Woodbridge in an area with very small lots. I had a very long driveway and we had snow piled on each side of the driveway that was over 6 feet on each side.

I was young so I did it all by manual labor

Save your money, global warming is awesome and will likely result in mild winters.

Save your money, global warming is awesome and will likely result in mild winters.
Awesome until parr’s of this country are underwater. But you won’t have to worry about that.

but at least you didn’t deny global warming exists.

Awesome until parr’s of this country are underwater. But you won’t have to worry about that.

but at least you didn’t deny global warming exists.
None of the country will be underwater. That's just a scam for Big Science to get more grant money for "research". No crisis, no money.

Global cooling would be way more dangerous than global warming. Enjoy the mild NJ winters!

thumbsup.gif

None of the country will be underwater. That's just a scam for Big Science to get more grant money for "research". No crisis, no money.

Global cooling would be way more dangerous than global warming. Enjoy the mild NJ winters!

thumbsup.gif

This week we expect portions of Texas and Louisiana to be under water

Pay a kid $50 bucks to shovel it. You got 16 snowblowable storms till you hit $800. Plus no gas money or physical effort.

You mentioned a steep grade, you might need one on tracks, and they cost more. I would check Craigslist.

Somewhere along the line RU#s shed a few tears over this...

Pay a kid $50 bucks to shovel it. You got 16 snowblowable storms till you hit $800. Plus no gas money or physical effort.
There aren't any kids doing this anymore. Or mowing lawns.

Well... maybe bac and rock could be classified as children...

Anybody have thoughts or experience with the corded or cordless electric options? I know that gas powered is most powerful... but the reliability and maintenance is annoying.

Heard SnowJoe makes some decent options. I have about a 100ft driveway leading to a detached garage... so a decent amount of snow removal required.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT