ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The War for Central Jersey's Identity is On

That's what all of us from CJ have always said: Hunterdon, Somerset, Union, Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer and Ocean (yes, it doesn't make sense geographically, but the shore line is VERY different than the lower 7 SJ counties (just like the vast majority of Burlington is different than Mercer). It's pretty simple IMHO.
Burlington doesn’t get MSG Networks for Devils /Rangers games on cable tv, right? It stops with Trenton in Mercer.

Burlington doesn’t get MSG Networks for Devils /Rangers games on cable tv, right? It stops with Trenton in Mercer.
Growing up in Hamilton we got both NY/Philly even pre-cable. I have no idea what they get in Northern Burlington nowadays.

Now...as someone who has lived all but a few years since '96 in Hudson County I can tell you, meeting thousands of people who grew up in Bergen, Hudson, Passaic, etc....NOBODY from up here considers Union County "North Jersey." Shit, when I was at FDU in Teaneck before RU, for 2 years, Bergen County kids considered Newark "South Jersey" lol!

That's what all of us from CJ have always said: Hunterdon, Somerset, Union, Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer and Ocean (yes, it doesn't make sense geographically, but the shore line is VERY different than the lower 7 SJ counties (just like the vast majority of Burlington is different than Mercer). It's pretty simple IMHO.

This is untrue. Union County for certain is not CNJ. No way in hell.

Growing up in Hamilton we got both NY/Philly even pre-cable. I have no idea what they get in Northern Burlington nowadays.

Now...as someone who has lived all but a few years since '96 in Hudson County I can tell you, meeting thousands of people who grew up in Bergen, Hudson, Passaic, etc....NOBODY from up here considers Union County "North Jersey." Shit, when I was at FDU in Teaneck before RU, for 2 years, Bergen County kids considered Newark "South Jersey" lol!
You talk to geographically challenged folks.

Union County is 💯 North Jersey

You are correct!

The Shore should be it's own designated region, and only towns bordering a navigable waterway to to the Atlantic Ocean are shore towns. Navigable means motorboat. Howell, Freehold, Jackson, etc do not count as Shore towns.

Well...it's your opinion, which is fine, but that doesn't necessarily make it "untrue." As I pointed out in my 2nd post people from around here sure as hell don't consider Union to be a part of "North" Jersey.

You said, "That's what all of us from CJ have always said..."

That is untrue.

Reactions: Section124
I've lived here for a long time now, have spoken to plenty about it (being from CJ, I gotta, lol...),. and it's not necessarily just about "geography" to many.

I lived in southern Union County , Rahway, and it was North Jersey.

You can’t tell me that Elizabeth , Summit, Linden, Westfield, Roselle, is Central Jersey.

Maybe if I’m stretching it I’ll say Plainfield can be included in CNJ since it borders Edison

You can’t tell me that Elizabeth , Summit, Linden, Westfield, Roselle, is Central Jersey.

Maybe if I’m stretching it I’ll say Plainfield can be included in CNJ since it borders Edison
It's hard to argue against that, I get it, but I'm just telling you what I've experienced for 25 or so years living in Hudson County: They don't consider you guys "North" Jersey.

Reactions: Chaiya1

I think that anytime someone is making a point in the argument about whether CNJ exists or where the dividing lines are, he/she should be required to disclose a) where he/she was raised and b) where he/she currently resides.

Using myself as an example. Grew up in Monmouth County, currently live in Hunterdon County. CNJ 100% exists and Union is NNJ while parts of Ocean are SNJ.

I think that anytime someone is making a point in the argument about whether CNJ exists or where the dividing lines are, he/she should be required to disclose a) where he/she was raised and b) where he/she currently resides.

Using myself as an example. Grew up in Monmouth County, currently live in Hunterdon County. CNJ 100% exists and Union is NNJ while parts of Ocean are SNJ.
Nailed it

Prob cuz many in Hudson county didn’t grow up in Jersey. ?
No...I'm talking about those who actually DID grow up here. Same with Bergen County kids when I went to school in Teaneck. They are very protective about their "regionality" (yes, not word, I know...) I've found.

No...I'm talking about those who actually DID grow up here. Same with Bergen County kids when I went to school in Teaneck. They are very protective about their "regionality" (yes, not word, I know...) I've found.

I remember hearing some Devils fans from Bergen County saying online that they wouldn’t keep their tickets all the way down to Newark, like it was SOOOO much further than East Rutherford.

It comical to see, of course most continued their ticket plans when they figured it out that Newark didn’t border Atlantic City.

If it was it wouldn't be a 3-page thread (so far) already. LOL

I can dig that. 👍

You are correct!

The Shore should be its own designated region, and only towns bordering a navigable waterway to the Atlantic Ocean are shore towns. Navigable means motorboat. Howell, Freehold, Jackson, etc. do not count as Shore towns.
Nor does Tinton Falls.

IMO its east of 35 and not the Parkway for the border of that region.

The 195 to 78 borders make a lot of sense. You can adjust them a little, IMHO, to include all of Mercer and The Shore down to Seaside/Toms River.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The problem with the I78 alignment is the western half of it. IMO there's nothing about the definition of CNJ that allows hilly terrain, i.e. the NJ highlands. In fact, from a geological perspective the highlands are definitively northern New Jersey.

Reactions: Section124
The problem with the I78 alignment is the western half of it. IMO there's nothing about the definition of CNJ that allows hilly terrain, i.e. the NJ highlands. In fact, from a geological perspective the highlands are definitively northern New Jersey.
Not Atlantic Highlands or Highlands in Monmouth County. 🙂

And don't confuse the two as they hate that. LOL

Not Atlantic Highlands or Highlands in Monmouth County. 🙂

And don't confuse the two as they hate that. LOL
NY-NJ_Highlands.jpg

Well...it's your opinion, which is fine, but that doesn't necessarily make it "untrue." As I pointed out in my 2nd post people from around here sure as hell don't consider Union to be a part of "North" Jersey.
I was born and raised in Union County. Have lived in Bergen for over 30 years. Union County is definitely North Jersey. Hell even the schools are North Jersey Section II for athletic conferences.

That being said I will give you that my Pre Cana instructor (from Northwest Bergen) said that Linden was a shore town. I still laugh at that one to this day.

Last edited:

Union County would love to ditch Plainfield if it could.

I was born and raised in Union County. Have live in Bergen for over 30 years. Union County is definitely North Jersey. Hell even the schools are North Jersey Section II for athletic conferences.

That being said I will give you that my Pre Cana instructor (from Northwest Bergen) said that Linden was a shore town. I still laugh at that one to this day.
I mean I can’t argue with you but I’ve got friends from Cranford who will always say “central” if you ask lol!

I mean I can’t argue with you but I’ve got friends from Cranford who will always say “central” if you ask lol!
All good. Cranford is my stomping grounds as well. No one in Cranford says they are from Central Jersey. They do use the Central Jersey rail line but that is it.

OMG you guys are literally ludicrous, Central Jersey is a region, terrain has nothing to do with it. That's why you clowns have such a hard time defining anything. You put up all these obstacles to a simple issue.

Reactions: NBHPRU
Not sure you are correct. When I was on Rutgers Fire Dept, I recall that on some calls, Edison Fire would respond.

There are several RU "buildings" that are "in Edison," but they are mostly what we lovingly referred to as "the warehouses."

REHS

Division of Housing Warehouse

Rutgers Outdoors Club "The Shed"

Not sure about Rutgers CAIT, The BEAST, listed as Piscataway, but probably Edison?

Ah you're right, I always thought that part of Livingston was still Piscataway. Learn something new every day.

Reactions: Knight Shift
OMG you guys are literally ludicrous, Central Jersey is a region, terrain has nothing to do with it. That's why you clowns have such a hard time defining anything. You put up all these obstacles to a simple issue.

You obviously didn't read my previous post on the subject.

And if you really knew what you were talking about, you'd understand that geology, specifically topology, actually has a direct influence on the socio-anthropological development of any region.

Maybe read a book.

You obviously didn't read my previous post on the subject.

And if you really knew what you were talking about, you'd understand that geology, specifically topology, actually has a direct influence on the socio-anthropological development of any region.

Maybe read a book.
And as I've stated ad nauseum now, this is why most people from North and South Jersey say there is no Central Jersey...lol.

It's three regions going east to west but you guys want to make defining it harder than a chemical engineering degree.

I'll draw up the boundaries and send them to Murphy to codify since if left to you guys it would look like 4 people on a Twister board.

All good. Cranford is my stomping grounds as well. No one in Cranford says they are from Central Jersey. They do use the Central Jersey rail line but that is it.
See my friends from there do, but then again they’re gymnasts and probably have hit their heads a few too many times, lok!

Was Port Reading also under the ice?
Why would the folks running the Reading RR put their port on a glacier? 😉

BTW Port Reading is the port for the Reading RR … the old coal crane/elevator that lifted entire train cars filled with coal to dump them into barges is still there on the Arthur Kill.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan

I'm from Hackensack, and everyone I knew considered Newark part of North Jersey. It was part of North Jersey that everyone wanted to hide from outsiders. And we consider Union County (most of it) part of North Jersey. Most of Bergen County doesn't consider itself part of New Jersey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT