ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The War for Central Jersey's Identity is On

Why would the folks running the Reading RR put their port on a glacier? 😉

BTW Port Reading is the port for the Reading RR … the old coal crane/elevator that lifted entire train cars filled with coal to dump them into barges is still there on the Arthur Kill.
I was not aware of that.

I was a garbage man one summer in Woodbridge Township and I learned that Sewaren was a fancy resort community in the 1920’s.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A couple of observations. First, the fact that state legislature is attempting to define what a CNJ means kinda proves my thought that it really doesn't exist. Second, if by some strange way it does exist, the north has Taylor Ham, the south has pork roll, and at this point in time "CNJ" wink, wink...has no roll or meat name for something that clearly is Taylor Ham.

Twinlights-lighthouse.jpg
Where I proposed to Mrs. Shift. Lovely spot. Mystery canon is cool. For years when the kids were really young, as we passed, they would ask if that's where Mom and Dad got married.

Reactions: Jm0513
I think that anytime someone is making a point in the argument about whether CNJ exists or where the dividing lines are, he/she should be required to disclose a) where he/she was raised and b) where he/she currently resides.

Using myself as an example. Grew up in Monmouth County, currently live in Hunterdon County. CNJ 100% exists and Union is NNJ while parts of Ocean are SNJ.
Fair enough. I grew up in Highland Park and now reside in Asheville, NC. See my post on the subject. :)

I think using 732 is a pretty fair test. Would be Monmouth, Middlesex, most of Ocean, areas close in from the surrounding counties.

I would add in Mercer and the parts of Ocean and Monmouth that fall into 609.

Re: Union, I think most if not all of it has to be North Jersey. I can get from my house in Jersey City to my friend's in Cranford in 20 minutes without traffic, never mind Elizabeth which could be 15 minutes to just past EWR on 1/9. That's North Jersey.

Re: Ocean, the northern part at least is very culturally Central and lumped in always with Monmouth. Once you get past LBI I could see the argument for South.

The northern part of 609 would be included. Culturally RU and Princeton would be same region. Culturally the "leg" of Monmouth should be with the rest of the county.

And certainly all of Middlesex is central, even Woodbridge. Woodbridge is culturally central NJ. It's more akin to Central NJ than it would be a place like Elizabeth.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It’s as central as Edison.

In any event, this is a dumb argument.
I could make the case that Edison (at least the northern section adjacent to Union County) is more north than central Jersey. Even Piscataway plays in North Jersey Section 2. It's not easy to break up based on county.

It’s as central as Edison.

In any event, this is a dumb argument.

It's only dumb when you're wrong, I think. At least, that's how I work. :)

Scotch Plains lies astride Rt. 28, which in turn perfectly describes the southern boundary of the Newark Basin, one of NJ's key geological provinces and, like the NJ Highlands, is definitively "north Jersey".

The Newark Basin is an interesting feature. It's a "failed rift" basin, created when Africa and North America split off from each other about 220 ma. It tilts downward from the Ramapo Fault and is overtopped by sediment collected over the ensuing eras.

Anyway... One rule of "Central Jersey" and "South Jersey", per the geologically-aligned theory, is that there can't be any magmatic rock beneath either. Central Jersey and South Jersey are not, in the geological sense, part of the original continent.

It's only dumb when you're wrong, I think. At least, that's how I work. :)

Scotch Plains lies astride Rt. 28, which in turn perfectly describes the southern boundary of the Newark Basin, one of NJ's key geological provinces and, like the NJ Highlands, is definitively "north Jersey".

The Newark Basin is an interesting feature. It's a "failed rift" basin, created when Africa and North America split off from each other about 220 ma. It tilts downward from the Ramapo Fault and is overtopped by sediment collected over the ensuing eras.

Anyway... One rule of "Central Jersey" and "South Jersey", per the geologically-aligned theory, is that there can't be any magmatic rock beneath either. Central Jersey and South Jersey are not, in the geological sense, part of the original continent.
Theory shmeery.

Last edited:
Really this is a map of football fan loyalties??? I thought it was the delineation of the good dental hygiene and the use of indoor plumbing in the north vs the opposite with the Pineys and Mule Skinners in the south 🤪
That's awesome...what a great post!!!

Also I did some searching on the net and in two seperate places, one in Tennessee and one on the NJ legislature, I found people asking "What's a CNJ?"

Monmouth and Ocean County want no part of a Central Jersey that includes Union County. It's not personal.

"But proposed legislation that's working its way through the halls of Trenton may decide it, at least from a marketing and tourism point-of-view.

The bill would establish three tourism regions in the state for marketing and promotion. There would be Northern, Southern and Central regions."

"But for Central, things get a little tricky. It would include Hunterdon, Somerset, Union, Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth, and Ocean counties. And just about everyone in the state — all 9.3 million of us — has their own borders in mind. (Assuming they acknowledge Central Jersey at all)."

Maybe Monmouth and Ocean and Mercer Counties can secede from the state?

Anything north of the Driscoll Bridge is "north" jersey to anyone south of it

Did you know...

In South Jersey, from the Pine Barrens on down through Cape May, you could theoretically drill straight down to about 100,000' feet and never hit solid rock.
Well we agree on that…it’s certainly south, alright.🙂

Reactions: RU4Real
Anything north of the Driscoll Bridge is "north" jersey to anyone south of it
Growing up in Camden County, I didn't know central jersey existed. Trenton was north. Hell, I had never heard of MBI until college. That was a northern beach.
Now, living in Somerset County, I know it exists. And to anyone claiming football group placement or county puts teams in the north, no way. Piscataway, Edison, and Plainfield are all central.

Making Central Jersey official is like giving away participation trophies in sports. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Anyway, I'm less concerned about having different official regions of NJ. I want Rutgers to have success across the board because it represents all of us. That is a true reflection of NJ.

I was not aware of that.

I was a garbage man one summer in Woodbridge Township and I learned that Sewaren was a fancy resort community in the 1920’s.
Yeah when my parents moved from JC to Woodbridge in the early sixties the JC crowd said they moved down the shore (because of Sewaren pretty much being on the northern part of the bay shore region). I wonder as industry in the area fades, what will that area look like in 100 years… will it be considered the shore if there are no oil tanks or power plants? There are small marinas and boat launches there now and they aren’t making anymore coastline…

That's awesome...what a great post!!!

Also I did some searching on the net and in two seperate places, one in Tennessee and one on the NJ legislature, I found people asking "What's a CNJ?"
Ah, given that Rutgers is squarely in Middlesex county and therefore squarely in Central Jersey (and btw you would order a PORK ROLL ham and cheese in CJ), you have discovered the genesis of the ill fated UT question “What’s a Rutgers?” Good job!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Making Central Jersey official is like giving away participation trophies in sports. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Anyway, I'm less concerned about having different official regions of NJ. I want Rutgers to have success across the board because it represents all of us. That is a true reflection of NJ.
But will you admit it at least exists? 🤔
Yeah, when my parents moved from JC to Woodbridge in the early sixties the JC crowd said they moved down the shore (because of Sewaren pretty much being on the northern part of the bay shore region). I wonder as industry in the area fades, what will that area look like in 100 years… will it be considered the shore if there are no oil tanks or power plants? There are small marinas and boat launches there now and they aren’t making anymore coastline…
Are you also a proud Margaret Hague alum like me?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRnj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT