ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Wire

Would this one? I’ve watched this over a hundred times and still watched it twice before posting.

Omar was the best.

If you ever get the chance listen to the Wire with some great headphones and surround sound. The kids yelling in the background "Omar's comin" will make you laugh every time. All the background talk is fantastic.

tenor.gif

I watched it when it came out but lately I've been just hitting clips on YouTube and then checking out the comments section, they really do delve into it and break down every scene, a good case can be made it's the best show ever. I plan on watching it start to finish again.

My favorite character - Slim Charles
When you do Google Sepinwall-The Wire. It will take you to a link where Alan Sepinwall reviews/explains every episode of the series. It's fascinating.

One of my favorite scenes is in season 1 where D explains chess to the two kids

When you do Google Sepinwall-The Wire. It will take you to a link where Alan Sepinwall reviews/explains every episode of the series. It's fascinating.

Also, Sepinwall is a NJ guy from the Star Ledger who got his break covering The Sopranos in depth. One of my favorite scenes that hasn’t been mentioned here so far is the “f*ck” scene. Great dialogue[roll]

IMO the greatest show ever made. A show that is even more popular now then when on HBO. Since I am in LEO I can truly say that no other cops and robbers show is more authentic in terms of how it really is in a police Department. The characters and the acting made this show special. The show has launched careers of some great actors. The show tackles real problems in cities and is as relevant today as it was when it went off the air Over 10 years ago. If you ever wanted to know what it’s like to be a cop. This show is the closest it comes to the real thing. 5 seasons of brilliance and that 2nd season just grows on you. I highly recommend to the few who have not enjoyed it.
While I was never a LEO, I was a volunteer EMT for 20 years and have seen some shit. While most of my time was riding on suburban squads ocassionally we would get called as back up to answer calls in some of NJ's seedier sections. My favorite was riding out Of JSMC with the paramedics as an EMT observer. Saw some pretty crazy stuff in neptune, asbury park, Belmar, and inland towns.
All my respect to LEO's who put up with a ton of crap and then have their own government turn on them is just insane to me. I only had to put up with a little crap as an EMT the LEO's do it day in and day out. Must be stressful as hell.

Technology would be the obvious number 1 difference. Accountability, increased public scrutiny has changed the game dramatically. (I'll refrain from giving my opinion on that subject😜). I keep in touch with a lot of men and women still on the job and there is much less camaraderie and morale is super low in most places. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll stop there.
I would think accountability is more important than morale. Kind of a theme on the Wire...

Reactions: RUissy
Reactions: Postman_1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT