ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Wire

chrisru99

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
IMO the greatest show ever made. A show that is even more popular now then when on HBO. Since I am in LEO I can truly say that no other cops and robbers show is more authentic in terms of how it really is in a police Department. The characters and the acting made this show special. The show has launched careers of some great actors. The show tackles real problems in cities and is as relevant today as it was when it went off the air Over 10 years ago. If you ever wanted to know what it’s like to be a cop. This show is the closest it comes to the real thing. 5 seasons of brilliance and that 2nd season just grows on you. I highly recommend to the few who have not enjoyed it.

The Wire is an All Time Top 3 show.

What do you guys think of Homicide: Life on the Street? That was The Wire back in the 90s but was held back because of it being on NBC.

Great show . I know season 1 gave away a lot of police tactics that were being used .
The one season I didn’t really like at first was season 2 on the docks. But after watching it again I had a new appreciation for it and the death of the white working class in Baltimore .
I thought season 3 was then best . Lots of good storylines there .

Great show . I know season 1 gave away a lot of police tactics that were being used .
The one season I didn’t really like at first was season 2 on the docks. But after watching it again I had a new appreciation for it and the death of the white working class in Baltimore .
I thought season 3 was then best . Lots of good storylines there .
That was the thing about that show. When you first watched an episode you may be like, okay whatever. Then you would watch again and get hooked. Season 2 was totally like that for me. One of my favorite seasons was the one that focused on the school system.

IMO the greatest show ever made. A show that is even more popular now then when on HBO. Since I am in LEO I can truly say that no other cops and robbers show is more authentic in terms of how it really is in a police Department. The characters and the acting made this show special. The show has launched careers of some great actors. The show tackles real problems in cities and is as relevant today as it was when it went off the air Over 10 years ago. If you ever wanted to know what it’s like to be a cop. This show is the closest it comes to the real thing. 5 seasons of brilliance and that 2nd season just grows on you. I highly recommend to the few who have not enjoyed it.
Season 4 was emotional.

Can't watch any cop/robber/lawyer/doctor/drug/hospital/mafia shows. Some are better than others but the subjects have been done to death. Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire - gave each a shot but meh

Always have said The Soprano's was the best show ever - until I watched The Wire.

Both were great. I prefer the sopranos. Just felt could relate to the characters better and found it much funnier than the wire. Sopranos was comedy in many ways

Reactions: B0ski
McNulty's character is as close to real of any cop show or movie I’ve ever seen. Him and Junior from Reno 911.

The Freddie Gray incident could've inspired one more season of the Wire.

I liked Homicide too. Favorite Yaphet Kotto (Giradello) lines, though not originals: "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" and "When there is no justice, there's just us".

Weren't Rawls or Valcheck in Homicide too? Either as their characters or playing someone else?

I thought HLOTS was my first exposure to Ginacarlo Esposito, but I did not learn until recently he was one of the cadets in Taps too.

84 - If. you haven't seen it, there's really no decision you need to make. I never get tired of The Wire threads because of how good the show was. IMO it was better than Sopranos but people get all defensive because of the NJ angle.
WATCHOO MEAN DEFENSIVE? The Sopranos is the BEST.

Reactions: Caliknight
I watched it when it came out but lately I've been just hitting clips on YouTube and then checking out the comments section, they really do delve into it and break down every scene, a good case can be made it's the best show ever. I plan on watching it start to finish again.

My favorite character - Slim Charles

Reactions: Greg2020
Phenomenal show. The season that takes place in the schools shows exactly what my time in Newark was like.

My favorite series. Love everything about it. The acting, story lines and hidden details make it great. I like how it all ties back to season 2 with the Greeks towards the end.

Reactions: ATIOH and jared04

Retired LEO here. 5 years plain cloths narcotics, 11 years violent crimes/ homicide detective. Involved in around 200 homicide investigations, lead on 35+. I concur, the show is very realistic of what it was like in the late 80's and 90's. Today it's a very different look though. Happily retired since 2011. Dodging golf balls instead of bullets for my second career. 😊

Retired LEO here. 5 years plain cloths narcotics, 11 years violent crimes/ homicide detective. Involved in around 200 homicide investigations, lead on 35+. I concur, the show is very realistic of what it was like in the late 80's and 90's. Today it's a very different look though. Happily retired since 2011. Dodging golf balls instead of bullets for my second career. 😊

What are the big differences you see between then and now?

hat are the big differences you see between then and now?
Technology would be the obvious number 1 difference. Accountability, increased public scrutiny has changed the game dramatically. (I'll refrain from giving my opinion on that subject😜). I keep in touch with a lot of men and women still on the job and there is much less camaraderie and morale is super low in most places. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll stop there.

One of my favorite scenes is during muster the Sgt tells them to stop throwing their beer cans on the roof of the precinct.

Sad endings for most of the players. Brody , deangelo , randy.
The sobotka boys nick and ziggy were just extremely dumb ! I found Omar’s ending kinda wtf . But that figures some bs would happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT