ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US defeats Pakistan in World Cup cricket

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Bored Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

This is one of the greatest upsets in US sports history, comparable to US 1 England zero in 1950 soccer World Cup

Nobody here cares about cricket. I get few TKR posters care about cricket.
I don't know about that; we were just talking about cricket on the D-Day thread...

I have spent a lot of time in India with folks from the UK. Still have a problem understanding the game. The test matches that go for days I don’t get, but the 20/20 format ( I think that is the right terminology) makes it much better to watch and interesting.

I didn't even know there was a U.S. national cricket team.
I also don't understand it nor care.
I tried to watch it on TV over here and I got completely lost. Have no idea what the rules are or even basic scoring.
Part of it reminds me of when you'd play "running bases" when you were a kid.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I worked with a bunch of Indians, Pakis and Bengalis. They are passionate about cricket, especially the World Cup - and even more so when any of the teams play against each other. It's like baseball, except there are two bases (wickets) and the field is a complete circle (360 degrees), as opposed to baseball's 90 degrees.

One problem is that the sport is rarely televised on any channels most Americans would ever encounter. I doubt the average American sports fan has even heard of Willow TV. I would tune in for the USA matches or watch highlights, but the sport is unavailable here without subscribing the Willow. Given the increasing numbers of people from the Indian Subcontinent in the USA, the sport is possibly as popular as, say Rugby or Lacrosse here. But who knows? In any case, it is the World Cup and any World Cup is cool in my book.

Cricket will be played at the LA Olympics in 2028.

I didn't even realize I had Willow TV until last week. Not sure if DirectTV Stream added it for the World Cup only. I have the highest tier so they add/remove channels every once in a while.

Similar to the above, I have watched Cricket from afar for most of my life. My neighbor growing up was from Scotland and the relatives would come over and team us the game. The park I grew up near had a cricket pitch / weekly games with our Caribbean community. I have a lot of Indian co-workers and when I was in the UK for the 2019 World Cup I watched most games with them and my buddy that played for South Africa. I still don't understand all the rules but it was fun because they enjoyed it so much (and if you watch you can see the fans in the stands love it as well).

I appreciate the rabid following cricket and rugby have in countries where they are their national sport.
My local convenience store owner keeps me up to date on the important cricket matches and world rankings.
I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in either sport… completely clueless.

This is one of the greatest upsets in US sports history, comparable to US 1 England zero in 1950 soccer World Cup

Nobody here cares about cricket. I get few TKR posters care about cricket.
Lets be realistic. If the US puts legitimate effort into any sport, we can pound any country on earth at anything

Silly. When we had the wrestling national champs it was posted here, as it should be. It can be posted in more than one place. More traffic here and people should be proud of these achievements.
Exactly. No one reads the Olympic sports board. This is a huge accomplishment especially with the meet record. She has a good shot at making the Olympic team

Please move this to the Olympics sports forum if we can’t even discuss RU national champs here. It’s not like we are spitting out NCAA champs on the regular
I don’t think this falls into that category but I agree they should not have locked your thread. It was more active than the other at the time.

Does anyone on this board understand fully what’s going on in both Rugby and Cricket?
Maybe one, but who knows both games?

Lets be realistic. If the US puts legitimate effort into any sport, we can pound any country on earth at anything
False. The United States failed to qualify for the last rugby World Cup. Kenya, Hong Kong, Portugal, US in the early round, US did not make it. Do not be overconfident.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Does anyone on this board understand fully what’s going on in both Rugby and Cricket?
Maybe one, but who knows both games?
So, I started watching since my wife is a huge cricket fan. Basically it’s simple, both teams play for 20 overs ( an over is like an inning in baseball), you get six balls per over so total of 120 balls. Each team had 10 batters, one keeps batting until they are out or the team uses up all 120 balls.

You start with batter and another on opposite side, there is a boundary ( think home run fence) 360’ around you. When a batter hits the ball, the batter and opposite runner can run and if they both get to the other side, it’s 1 run. If the ball is hit and bounced before the boundary but reached boundary, it’s 4 runs. If the batter hits the ball over the boundary it’s 6 runs.

If the batter hits the ball on the fly and it’s caught, it’s an out. There are 3 stumps behind the batter and if the bowler pitches and batter missed and ball hits stump, batter is out.

Hope this helps!

I appreciate the rabid following cricket and rugby have in countries where they are their national sport.
My local convenience store owner keeps me up to date on the important cricket matches and world rankings.
I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in either sport… completely clueless.

Watched Bangalore vs Chennai when I was over there. Same. Had no clue what I was watching but can appreciate it matters a lot to them.

I don't know or watch cricket, but I did go to rugby in Las Vegas about 5 years ago while out there in March - the World Rugby Sevens. I know some about the sport from college and playing the rugby game back in the day on Playstation 2, but not enough to really know what was going on. But damn was that a raucous crowd and a fun event to watch in Vegas! Some of those fans were nuts!

Silly. When we had the wrestling national champs it was posted here, as it should be. It can be posted in more than one place. More traffic here and people should be proud of these achievements.

Exactly. No one reads the Olympic sports board. This is a huge accomplishment especially with the meet record. She has a good shot at making the Olympic team

I don’t think this falls into that category but I agree they should not have locked your thread. It was more active than the other at the time.

I just unlocked it and bumped it to the top.

I've read that Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, just not popular in the US.
So this win might not be treated as a major accomplishment by most Americans, but seen as a major accomplishment by people around the world.
Kudos to the American players for doing , what some might have considered, the impossible.

Reactions: RUnTeX and cshelley
I've read that Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, just not popular in the US.
So this win might not be treated as a major accomplishment by most Americans, but seen as a major accomplishment by people around the world.
Kudos to the American players for doing , what some might have considered, the impossible.
You don't have to look too hard in Middlesex County to find cricket fields popping up, due to the changing population in some areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT