ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Voting on Tuesday

Is that Kbee3's doggy?
Nope. My Shih Tzu is a male...and much better looking. Also older I'm guessing.
And almost too friendly...with zero bad habits.
He's an incredible babe magnet when we go for our daily walks.

Reactions: ashokan
My understanding is that in NJ you cannot go to the polls and vote like you normally do...... you should have voted by mail, or filled out the mail in ballot and drop it in one of the boxes

If you just show up at the polls you fill out a provisional ballot which gets counted maybe after all is said and done
Nice concise response. However, I can't believe anyone in NJ doesn't know this already. Unless you are disabled, going to the polls is a waste of time this year. If you live in NJ you should have already voted.

Reactions: Kbee3
Florida didn’t declare Bush the winner until Nov 26, 2000. And the Supreme Court ruling didn’t come until Dec 12.

We don’t need to declare winners on election night. We can wait a few days or even a few weeks if necessary.

Nice concise response. However, I can't believe anyone in NJ doesn't know this already. Unless you are disabled, going to the polls is a waste of time this year. If you live in NJ you should have already voted.
Not true ... there are polling places open as far as I know... voted 2 weeks ago

Not true ... there are polling places open as far as I know... voted 2 weeks ago
In NJ? Where? That goes against everything I have read so far. I originally didn't get my ballot and called the Bergen County County Clerk and we discussed exactly what the poster wrote.

Reactions: Kbee3
In NJ? Where? That goes against everything I have read so far. I originally didn't get my ballot and called the Bergen County County Clerk and we discussed exactly what the poster wrote.
The info we got from the state, county, and our municipality all mentioned that there were in fact polling places that were gonna be open on Election Day. But you would receive the exact same paper ballot to fill out that was sent to our home. No machine voting.

Last edited:
At the current rate of early voting, there is going to be close to 100M votes casted before election Tuesday. Last Potus election in 2016, they was almost 139M votes total. A lot of non voters and new voters are showing up this election its going to blast last year's total.

We g

The info we got from the state, county, and our municipality all mentioned that there were in fact polling places that were gonna be open on Election Day. But you would receive the exact same paper ballot to fill out that was sent to our home. No machine voting.
Correct. If you go to the poll on voting day (and are not disabled) that ballot is a provisional ballot (so it won't be worth voting). Only the disabled that need a machine will be able to vote using the standard booth (where available). Vote by the ballot mailed to your house and drop in a voting box somewhere.

Correct. If you go to the poll on voting day (and are not disabled) that ballot is a provisional ballot (so it won't be worth voting). Only the disabled that need a machine will be able to vote using the standard booth (where available). Vote by the ballot mailed to your house and drop in a voting box somewhere.
You can bring the ballot sent in the mail to your polling station on election day .

You can bring the ballot sent in the mail to your polling station on election day .
Good point. But why wait? You could just get it over with and drop in a box now. Not sure I would trust my local poll workers anyway.

Good point. But why wait? You could just get it over with and drop in a box now. Not sure I would trust my local poll workers anyway.
Better yet, you can take it to your county clerk’s office and hand it directly to the person in charge of running elections. Better than handing it to granny at some random polling place.

Probably,BUT,75 years ago when I was discharged from the Army Air Corps it was not only my Birthday(11/06/45) but also Election Day. Wanted to celebrate with a drink but the DRINKING PLACES were all closed because of election day,.
Hope you get to vote another 25 years my friend . 👍

Reactions: mdk01 and goru1869

In Middlesex County , CC office in East Brunswick 4 weeks ago I asked this on ( 2 different days & people) both said yes you could vote in person...but the “ governor wants people to vote by mail or if you had a special issue ( like a disability) you could apply to vote at town hall .The first person gave me the number for the governor’s office in Trenton. Also about the “ law “ suit filed... How’s this ... he calls in the National guard to count votes...how stupid and untrustworthy no matter who you are voting for... at this point I don’t care but I hope everyone has their vote counted .The latest I saw in the news... if your vote wasn’t in by today you are shat out of luck... Can’t wait...

Why would you say it’s not worth voting using a provisional ballot?
From the NJ elections website:

"No provisional ballot is counted at the polling place. All provisional ballots are taken to the County Commissioner of Registration’s office after the close of the polls for verification and counting by the County the County Board of Election."

Chances are your vote will not be counted. Why take the chance?

Better yet, you can take it to your county clerk’s office and hand it directly to the person in charge of running elections. Better than handing it to granny at some random polling place.
Leave my granny alone.

"No provisional ballot is counted at the polling place. All provisional ballots are taken to the County Commissioner of Registration’s office after the close of the polls for verification and counting by the County the County Board of Election."

How that be ? It is being said here all votes will
Counted Nov 10th so we will know a week later.
That has to be wrong.

In Middlesex County , CC office in East Brunswick 4 weeks ago I asked this on ( 2 different days & people) both said yes you could vote in person...but the “ governor wants people to vote by mail or if you had a special issue ( like a disability) you could apply to vote at town hall .The first person gave me the number for the governor’s office in Trenton. Also about the “ law “ suit filed... How’s this ... he calls in the National guard to count votes...how stupid and untrustworthy no matter who you are voting for... at this point I don’t care but I hope everyone has their vote counted .The latest I saw in the news... if your vote wasn’t in by today you are shat out of luck... Can’t wait...
Thanks for the clarification. That is why I voted as early as possible and dropped in the local ballot box. I checked the website and I am good (so far).

Reactions: RUBOB72

Because ALL provisional votes will be counted if they could change the result. Example: If there’s a candidate that is ahead by 50 votes in the mail-in count, and there are at 50 or more provisional votes, then the provisional votes will be counted.

If you want to get technical as long as the total number of provisional votes + the number of votes received by the second place finisher on Election Day is within 1% of the votes received by the 1st place finisher, then all the provisional votes will be counted.

Only if the 1st place finisher from the mail-in and voting machine count is so far ahead that there’s no way the 2nd place finisher could win even if he/she got all of the provisional votes, would the provisional votes not be counted.

I think there are going to be so many provisional votes this year that it will be necessary to open them in many many races.

In summary, all provisional votes will be counted if they need to be and nobody should not vote because they think their provisional vote won’t matter

How that be ? It is being said here all votes will
Counted Nov 10th so we will know a week later.
That has to be wrong.
The amount of voter fraud both ways will be incredible for this election. For the presidential election here in NJ it's pretty much useless to vote republican. However, it's the state and local elections that matter. So everyone should vote. That being said I don't expect the results to be official for a few weeks. Everyone needs to chill. We don't need any violence / protests.

The reason I have not voted yet is I am not sure who I am voting for in regards to president. I might vote for a third party candidate. Election day is when I will decide .

Why would you say it’s not worth voting using a provisional ballot?
Would be a shame if people thought it's not worth voting with a provisional ballot.
There is plenty of time ( in most cases) for that ballot to be counted before it is part of the votes that make up the electoral college votes that are used by the state they are registered to vote in.
This election year the electoral college meet in each state and cast their ballots for president and vice president on Dec.14th
The electors' ballots from all states must be received by the president of the Senate by Dec.23rd
January 6th 2021 is when the electoral college ballots are counted.

Provisional Ballots
https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/provisional-ballots.aspx#time allotted

Reactions: Phi_1055
The amount of voter fraud both ways will be incredible for this election. For the presidential election here in NJ it's pretty much useless to vote republican. However, it's the state and local elections that matter. So everyone should vote. That being said I don't expect the results to be official for a few weeks. Everyone needs to chill. We don't need any violence / protests.
I was able to get the last couple of rounds from a local gun shop yesterday.

Because ALL provisional votes will be counted if they could change the result. Example: If there’s a candidate that is ahead by 50 votes in the mail-in count, and there are at 50 or more provisional votes, then the provisional votes will be counted.

If you want to get technical as long as the total number of provisional votes + the number of votes received by the second place finisher on Election Day is within 1% of the votes received by the 1st place finisher, then all the provisional votes will be counted.

Only if the 1st place finisher from the mail-in and voting machine count is so far ahead that there’s no way the 2nd place finisher could win even if he/she got all of the provisional votes, would the provisional votes not be counted.

I think there are going to be so many provisional votes this year that it will be necessary to open them in many many races.

In summary, all provisional votes will be counted if they need to be.
Agreed. However your provisional could be rejected (for whatever reason). Why take the chance? Just vote with the ballot mailed to your house. It's so simple.

Florida didn’t declare Bush the winner until Nov 26, 2000. And the Supreme Court ruling didn’t come until Dec 12.

We don’t need to declare winners on election night. We can wait a few days or even a few weeks if necessary.

That was an unusual circumstance due to the even division of EC votes and it coming down to one state where it was within 1000 votes

Here today we are inviting delays and indecision, and with that, distrust in the system. It is being baked in

Stupid imo

Would be a shame if people thought it's not worth voting with a provisional ballot.
There is plenty of time ( in most cases) for that ballot to be counted before it is part of the votes that make up the electoral college votes that are used by the state they are registered to vote in.
This election year the electoral college meet in each state and cast their ballots for president and vice president on Dec.14th
The electors' ballots from all states must be received by the president of the Senate by Dec.23rd
January 6th 2021 is when the electoral college ballots are counted.

Provisional Ballots
https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/provisional-ballots.aspx#time allotted
I'm speaking specifically of NJ. Voting Republican for president in NJ is a waste of time anyway. If you need to vote via provisional ballot, that's your choice. However to me it's laziness if people haven't already voted with the mailed ballot.

That was an unusual circumstance due to the even division of EC votes and it coming down to one state where it was within 1000 votes

Here today we are inviting delays and indecision, and with that, distrust in the system. It is being baked in

Stupid imo

It takes time to count ballots. Saying we need a result on election day is beyond stupid. Just look at 2018 Arizona Senate race.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I'm speaking specifically of NJ. Voting Republican for president in NJ is a waste of time anyway. If you need to vote via provisional ballot, that's your choice. However to me it's laziness if people haven't already voted with the mailed ballot.
How is it a waste of time? Almost every one
I talk to hates the Biden and Harris.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

Stupid imo

That’s a conversation for the CE board.

Reactions: wheezer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT