ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What’s the chance it’s another snowless winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcheck

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2022
For the I-95 corridor and east? Thanks to all you amateur meteorologists, you make the football board awesome in the winter

Reactions: letitrip2
What did LI get over the weekend? Even Eastern Bergen County got an inch or two before the change over. NYC? Snowless? You're already down to a very small area

What did LI get over the weekend? Even Eastern Bergen County got an inch or two before the change over. NYC? Snowless? You're already down to a very small area
No snow in Trenton area, some flakes but nothing on roads yet

No snow (an inch or more) in Philadelphia County since 1/29/22 over 700 days. That would include the other side of the river from Burlington and South to the Wilmington Bridge. It's not a small area.

I’m in East Brunswick. Got an half an inch on the grass, gone instantly when the rain started. It feels we haven’t had an accumulating snow in years. Even years ago it seems it came and two days later it was 50 degrees.

I’m in East Brunswick. Got an half an inch on the grass, gone instantly when the rain started. It feels we haven’t had an accumulating snow in years. Even years ago it seems it came and two days later it was 50 degrees.
Where in EB? I'm in Lawrence Brook and we got probably 2" on the grass, even some accumulation on the streets that stuck around through the rain (but was mostly gone by morning). Spoke with my Grandma who lives in Spotswood, and your situation sounds more similar to hers.

Its been a couple years now, but we have had shovellable snow a few times since 2019.

Reactions: darkcheck
Where in EB? I'm in Lawrence Brook and we got probably 2" on the grass, even some accumulation on the streets that stuck around through the rain (but was mostly gone by morning). Spoke with my Grandma who lives in Spotswood, and your situation sounds more similar to hers.

Its been a couple years now, but we have had shovellable snow a few times since 2019.
Close to the HS

It’s been a couple years now, but we have had shovellable snow a few times since 2019.
Maybe a couple but that’s five years. Lived in EB since ‘97 and it seems we got a lot more 15+ years ago. Always cold rain now.

Got about 2.5 inches in No. Plfd. Not a lot, but takes us out of the snowless winter category.

I’m starting to think I shouldn’t have said snowless. I should have referred to it as getting enough snow I need to shovel.

I got like 3 inches in Flemington that did not go away until the rain yesterday. Still a few random piles around.

We had 3 ft plus in South River. So much so it was over my head. But that was pre global warming — 1948-49 when I was 5. Lol
I remember the Jan 7, 1996 storm when NYC was basically shut down with 18-24" of snow. People were cross country skiing on the North/South Avenues.

f5f3573542fe5bd4f91bf43271f86184.jpg
EPNDG2L7NRDAVJYCDOFZI73JSE.jpg

I remember the Jan 7, 1996 storm when NYC was basically shut down with 18-24" of snow. People were cross country skiing on the North/South Avenues.

I was working in New York when The Blizzard of 1983 hit just before Valentine's Day - a Friday. No way to get back to New Jersey. Spent the weekend on a four foot couch in the company welcome area AND got a nasty cold on top of that. No pharmacies or stores open to get some medicinal relief. Cars abandoned for 10 miles out the Lincoln Tunnel and down to Route 3 in Clifton and beyond. Finally got a train out of NYC late Sunday afternoon.

But just like your photos, there were people skiing down Broadway. I'll never forget that!

Reactions: darkcheck
Blizzard of '78 in Boston. 28" 10 days after an 18" storm. Rte 128 a 15 mile parking lot. Brigham & Women's and Beth Israel Hospitals snowed in so the Mass National Guard plowed a Fenway Park parking lot and resupplied by helicopter from dawn to dusk.

Hey neighbor. I saw that Fairlawn got nothing. Silly
Depending on what side of town you live on, Fairlawn in Bergen County got 2-4 inches from this weekend's storm.

Syracuse game scheduled for Sunday afternoon was postponed.

My favorite was February 83 storm. As a 13 year old it was my very first mega storm that produced close to 2 feet in NJ

Originally forecasters were calling for a big storm perhaps to a foot but as we moved closer they were dropping the amounts to 1-3/2-4 by the night before. Well that day in Friday it started snowing 9 am and i knew something was up when they called an early early dismissal. The snow kept coming and the amounts forecasted kept going up and up. The first brush with thundersnow

My favorite was February 83 storm. As a 13 year old it was my very first mega storm that produced close to 2 feet in NJ

Originally forecasters were calling for a big storm perhaps to a foot but as we moved closer they were dropping the amounts to 1-3 by the night before. Well that day in Friday it started snowing 9 am and i knew something was up when they called an early early dismissal. The snow kept coming and the amounts forecasted kept going up and up. The first brush with thundersnow
I remember that one thinking we would have school. When my clock radio alarm went off that morning (yes, dating myself, but it is a 1983 storm) the guy on WPLJ just said, "No one is going anywhere today." WPLJ was a rock station at the time. I was happy.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I remember that one thinking we would have school. When my clock radio alarm went off that morning (yes, dating myself, but it is a 1983 storm) the guy on WPLJ just said, "No one is going anywhere today." WPLJ was a rock station at the time. I was happy.

You have wrong storm i think? We went to school in these parts

You have wrong storm i think? We went to school in these parts
I may be recalling a different storm. I think there was close to a foot on the ground when we woke up and it wasn't expected. Still need to give me points for the clock radio/PLJ reference.

• Love
Reactions: bac2therac

Best NJ winter of my life.

Had a rare big storm or two before Xmas 95, too, as I recall. Couple multi-snow-day stretches spent hiking around and snowboarding power line and water tower hills.

I was living on the UWS and there were people riding snowmobiles on Columbus Ave. How they got those snowmobiles into Manhattan that day I don't know...

Hey neighbor. I saw that Fairlawn got nothing. Silly
And it sucked here too- very heavy and wet. My driveway also has a huge slope and I would say 120 feet. So, even the snow blower can be a PIA as with Heavy snow, you have to shove a path up just so you can even get the SB to the road. And partly my fault too- didn’t notice until done, the tire on the driving wheel was running almost flat. Took me 2.5 hours to do…

And it sucked here too- very heavy and wet. My driveway also has a huge slope and I would say 120 feet. So, even the snow blower can be a PIA as with Heavy snow, you have to shove a path up just so you can even get the SB to the road. And partly my fault too- didn’t notice until done, the tire on the driving wheel was running almost flat. Took me 2.5 hours to do…
It was posted that Franklin lakes got 4 inches but N Franklin lakes got 5.7. Where is North Franklin lakes? I’m off high mountain near Market Basket.

It was posted that Franklin lakes got 4 inches but N Franklin lakes got 5.7. Where is North Franklin lakes? I’m off high mountain near Market Basket.
Haha all of it pretty damn north. I’m over in Urban Farms- just tge other side of MB. My weekend morning walk it to MB and back. About a 4 mile round trip

Originally forecasters were calling for a big storm perhaps to a foot but as we moved closer they were dropping the amounts to 1-3/2-4 by the night before. Well that day in Friday it started snowing 9 am and i knew something was up when they called an early early dismissal. The snow kept coming and the amounts forecasted kept going up and up. The first brush with thundersnow
There are several huge snowstorms that stand out to me. I tend to remember the really intense storms with strong winds and heavy, blinding snowfall. In early Feb 1978 , when I was a soph.at RU. That storm is very famous up in New England. It dropped about 18-20 inches of snow in NJ. The big Feb. 1983 storm was one of the most intense I remember. I was working in Newark at the time. They were initially forecasting about 4-6 inches but the storm really intensified off the Delmarva and came up the coast. Thundersnow as mentioned and some ridiculous snow rates of about 3 inches/hr for some time. Got about 20 inches of snow in that one. Also, the big storm in early Jan 1996. A true blizzard , with very cold temps in the upper teens/low 20s and wind driven snow. Got a a legit 2ft of snow where I am in Union Co.

Reactions: bac2therac
There are several huge snowstorms that stand out to me. I tend to remember the really intense storms with strong winds and heavy, blinding snowfall. In early Feb 1978 , when I was a soph.at RU. That storm is very famous up in New England. It dropped about 18-20 inches of snow in NJ. ...
I was up at Allen Dorm on Busch Campus. The snow drifts were so high in 1978 that students were jumping off the roof of the three-story building into the snow. There's still proof of that with photos in that year's Scarlet Letter yearbook.

Also, the nuts on the first floor built an igloo in front of the entrance to Allen Dorm, moved a desk and light in there. Somebody from that time has a photo of a student studying at his snow-protected desk.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan

I had the snowblower out in Jan/Feb '22 in Piscataway.

This has to be a troll post. LOLOL
Why? I corrected my self that it should have said “significant” shovelable snow. I just remember much more accumulating snow 10+ years ago and not very much at all in the recent couple years. Maybe a shift in patterns. I thought someone who follows it had a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT