Hall of Famer
Feb 24, 2010
Interested to hear thoughts on our recent mild winter:

- One big snow storm
- 5 or so days of cold weather
- That's it, I'll sign up for this every year

Also:

- Every forecast was wrong, including the big storm, way under-predicted
- The media hype was off the charts, will it keep growing and will the public continue to ignore the mets?

Discuss! :)

Also:

- The media hype was off the charts, will it keep growing and will the public continue to ignore the mets?

First of all, those two points contradict each other.

Second of all, the NAM had the blizzard nailed start to finish. Everyone (except me) ignored it "because it's the NAM".

First of all, those two points contradict each other.

Second of all, the NAM had the blizzard nailed start to finish. Everyone (except me) ignored it "because it's the NAM".
Yes, the NAM was correct, but how many other models screwed the pooch, including the beloved Euro?

- One big snow storm
- 5 or so days of cold weather
- That's it, I'll sign up for this every year

Also:

Oh my, we really need to get you a better hobby....

OP is basically right...we had one big storm and I think one or two other minor events with snow/ice and just maybe a week of cold weather in February.

I dont think the NAM has actually been right since that storm so I dont think nailing that storm meant anything but a blind squirrel finding a nut

Reactions: T2Kplus10
We might have big trouble tonight into tomorrow. Winds will gust up to 60mph. That potentially can bring down trees and power lines.

tomorrow is a stay inside and use the crockpot day...Shop Rite is having a sale on sausage so I will cook that up and maybe whip up a pan of lasagna

PSE&G just sent out an alert:

Strong Wind Alert
Be Prepared and Stay Connected
PSE&G is preparing for the approaching storm system that could bring strong winds across its service area. We take every storm with the potential for outages seriously and have additional personnel scheduled and on standby, with auxiliary equipment ready. Strong winds can make it difficult for our trucks to get around, and our crews can’t go up in buckets to make repairs until the winds subside. Should there be outages, please know that we will restore customers as quickly and safely as possible.

Interesting winter: it seemed to produce some small-minded pricks who appear to get aroused by trolling random weather threads.

OP is basically right...we had one big storm and I think one or two other minor events with snow/ice and just maybe a week of cold weather in February.

I dont think the NAM has actually been right since that storm so I dont think nailing that storm meant anything but a blind squirrel finding a nut
Definitely, broken clock being right twice a day dynamic. But it is what it is!

Definitely, broken clock being right twice a day dynamic. But it is what it is!

It was right twice a day for 5 days.

It's not luck. The dynamics of that storm were sufficiently attuned to the NAM's sweet spot so as to render it practically perfect. That's what happens with these models. The best mets are the ones who understand the algorithmic tendencies of the individual models and recognise which one is better tuned to any given setup.

To answer the op. Yes I'll take it every year until I retire and move west. Especially when the worst stuff falls on the weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT