ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Series of Poker Final Table...

RU848789

Legend
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Anyone watching? 5 players left right now. Great hand going on. Joe Cada (champion a few years ago) just shoved all in with 10s against Miles who has AK (similar chip stacks).

Edit: Miles took about 4 minutes to call (these guys have not been generally taking a long time to make decisions, which has been awesome) and hit a king on the flop and won the hand knocking out Cada.

Last edited:
By the way, did anyone see the hand that got everyone to the final table? Amazing. With 10 players left, player 1 with aces makes a standard small raise to $1.5MM chips, player 2 with kings calls, slowplaying his monster, assuming he's ahead, and player 3 also has kings and goes all-in (he's the short stack with $24MM). Back to the guy with aces, who goes all-in for $43MM. Player 1 with kings then calls the all-in (he has $52MM chips, so he'll still be alive if he loses). And there was another guy with 10s who folded.

Insane hand and brutal for the guys with kings, since normally aces would be favored over kings at about 80% to 20% to win, but since the cards for the kings to win are in the other guy's hands in this case, neither guy with kings has much chance (needing a straight or flush to win, which is a ~2% chance; and one of the guys with kings has the same suits as the guy with aces, so he can only split the pot with the guy with kings if a straight comes for them). Of course, the aces won. The winner, Manion is currently in 3rd place, while player 1 was the short stack at the final table and finished 9th.

Lots of chatter about player 1 calling the two all-ins in front of him with the kings - should he have assumed someone had aces and folded? Personally, I'd have a hard time not calling there - maybe it's queens and an A-K and you're the favorite to triple up. Tough one.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/wa...-world-series-of-poker-main-event-final-table

Reactions: cicero grimes
Anyone watching? 5 players left right now. Great hand going on. Joe Cada (champion a few years ago) just shoved all in with 10s against Miles who has AK (similar chip stacks).

Edit: Miles took about 4 minutes to call (these guys have not been generally taking a long time to make decisions, which has been awesome) and hit a king on the flop and won the hand knocking out Cada.
Unfortunately, I am/have been watching as well. Not unfortunately due to the poker since there has been good action, but rather since I am doing the same thing you are which isn't cool!
:)

Have been watching, was rooting for Cada, would have liked to see history being made in with the first 2 time winner of the modern era of huge field main events. Especially since he's improved so much since his 1st win 9 years ago. Cada made a couple of ballsy moves to get up to 4th, but unfortunately he lost the flip as you stated above.

About the 10 to 9 handed hand, there have been several points of discussion about it on 2+2, /r/poker , and a pretty good breakdown about it on Doug Polk Youtube's channel. Most of the discussion is surrounding Labat's decision to call with the 2nd pair of Kings after Manions shove with AA. It's a super tough spot considering ICM and how nittty Manion has been leading up to the hand. In a hand shown on coverage earlier Manion folded Kings to 2 all ins and showed it to the table. He also reshoved in about 5 seconds, further weighting his range to AA.

The discussions on 2+2 and /r/poker lean toward folding, given that information and given the ICM implications. According to some calcs in those threads, Labat may have costs himself 1 million or more in real money as he would have been in a comfortable spot around 5th in chips in the final 9 with a fold instead of 9th with the short stack. However in real time it's a hard decision to make. If it wasn't the final table of the World Series with the biggest pay jumps people will ever see, Labat would be fist pump shoving it in.

In his analysis Polk advocates for always calling there because you in tourneys the bulk of the money is in the top 3, you should be and folding KK preflop for less than 100 big blinds given people's ranges in any tourney is generally wrong.

I'm never folding in any of the online tourneys I regularly play, and in game in Labat's seat I probably call there as well. But it is super tough and interesting spot. Complicating matters is that with Labat's sneaky call he may have leveled himself. At that point he probably feels his hand is severely under represented, if he makes a normal 3bet then gets 4bet then 5bet shoved on, he may fould but I doubt it.

As for the final 3 Cynn has been playing the best as he's been making some good decisions and chipped up without making many hands while Miles and Dyer have taken turns being card racks. Rooting for him to overtake Miles but it will be difficult given his massive chip lead.

Have been watching, was rooting for Cada, would have liked to see history being made in with the first 2 time winner of the modern era of huge field main events. Especially since he's improved so much since his 1st win 9 years ago. Cada made a couple of ballsy moves to get up to 4th, but unfortunately he lost the flip as you stated above.

About the 10 to 9 handed hand, there have been several points of discussion about it on 2+2, /r/poker , and a pretty good breakdown about it on Doug Polk Youtube's channel. Most of the discussion is surrounding Labat's decision to call with the 2nd pair of Kings after Manions shove with AA. It's a super tough spot considering ICM and how nittty Manion has been leading up to the hand. In a hand shown on coverage earlier Manion folded Kings to 2 all ins and showed it to the table. He also reshoved in about 5 seconds, further weighting his range to AA.

The discussions on 2+2 and /r/poker lean toward folding, given that information and given the ICM implications. According to some calcs in those threads, Labat may have costs himself 1 million or more in real money as he would have been in a comfortable spot around 5th in chips in the final 9 with a fold instead of 9th with the short stack. However in real time it's a hard decision to make. If it wasn't the final table of the World Series with the biggest pay jumps people will ever see, Labat would be fist pump shoving it in.

In his analysis Polk advocates for always calling there because you in tourneys the bulk of the money is in the top 3, you should be and folding KK preflop for less than 100 big blinds given people's ranges in any tourney is generally wrong.

I'm never folding in any of the online tourneys I regularly play, and in game in Labat's seat I probably call there as well. But it is super tough and interesting spot. Complicating matters is that with Labat's sneaky call he may have leveled himself. At that point he probably feels his hand is severely under represented, if he makes a normal 3bet then gets 4bet then 5bet shoved on, he may fould but I doubt it.

As for the final 3 Cynn has been playing the best as he's been making some good decisions and chipped up without making many hands while Miles and Dyer have taken turns being card racks. Rooting for him to overtake Miles but it will be difficult given his massive chip lead.
Cada did lose the flip, but he went all-in as the leader of the flip (at 57%). If he held on, he would have been a player against Dyer, at the time. It was risky, but you need to do that a few times to win.

Yup....been following / heading back to OR today.
Asked my fiancée to tape the final table action today.

Think Cada really played well considering he didn't have the weight of chips on his side.

Also impressed - though not directly related that the BRAT won his 15 bracelet. What ever happened to Mike the Mouth (he was interesting / obnoxious ...but made for good TV).

LOVE Norm Chad...he's so: corny, cryptic, sarcastic, cliched...LOVE HIM!
Wish he was on TV more for political (e.g. CNN) …it would make it almost palatable.

Last, the player who is helping announce the finals (Antonio): impressive. Like the way he can rattle off the percentages of winning and risk relative to the hands being played.

GO SOMEBODY....hope there's a really interesting / unusual ending to the championship.

MO

Nice post and good links. I'm kind of with Polk here - very tough call, but I think I make it. While he certainly cost himself $1MM or more (per the ICM) with the call, he already had $1MM guaranteed, which is pretty huge and if he wanted to win it all, winning that pot would've given him a huge leg up on the final table.

Plus, it's not that unusual for a guy like Zhu on a fairly short stack to go all-in after a min raise and a call. Obviously, Manion going all in has to give him pause, though, especially given how tight he had been (didn't realize he had folded kings earlier). But, as Polk said, if you start folding kings before the flop to 2 all-ins, there will be many times you'll be losing big pots you could've won, as there are tons of very aggressive players out there who shove with less than kings or aces.

As I said before, Zhu shoving with queens and Manion calling with AK are just as plausible and in that case, you're a big favorite to win.

Agree Cynn has been playing really well and Dyer, after playing so well for so long, made a few missteps, particularly his call of $27MM chips with 3-4 (two pair) when a pair of kings hit the board on the river. Playing the 2 pair with no pairs on the board and losing to Miles's set wouldn't have been too bad, but after the pair hits, you have to think your dead (and only beating a bluff). It's Miles's to lose now.

Went to a party until about 1 am and just got back and it's Cynn and Miles with similar stacks (around $200MM each). Missed the soon-to-be-legendary bluff by Miles, who was down 2:1 in chips and behind on a hand with a decent sized pot, and Miles with absolute air (7-5 with a board that was 3-4-J-3-K and no flushes vs. Cynn who had 6-4) and he goes all-in for his last $95MM chips. Cynn even said, "if you're sick enough to pull this bluff off, I just have to let you have it." Tough to call that much more when folding still leaves you in a slight chip lead. Sick.

And we just had a couple of awesome hands, especially the last one, where Cynn had 7-5 and ended up with 5's full of 3's, while Miles had flopped top pair (9's) and the pair on the river is probably what kept Miles in to call a $46MM bet on the river. Right now, Cynn has 238MM to 155MM for Miles - this is a serious heavyweight battle.

Love Lon, Norman and Antonio doing the commentary. Antonio just called this one of the greatest heads-up battles in poker history and it's nowhere near over (or maybe it could be, lol, the way they're bluffing each other regularly).

Fell asleep around 2 am and forgot to tape the action. Just woke up at 5:30 am and they're still going strong. When I woke back up, Cynn was up about 225MM to 168MM and after 20 minutes that's been reversed, as Miles took the lead on a K-10 over Cynn's K-2 with the board hitting K and K on the turn and river, with Miles's 10 kicker playing. There have been 14 changes heads-up, so far. This is just nuts.

10.5 hours in. Cynn now with a 2:1 chip lead. I think he might've won the whole thing a few hands ago when he had aces against K-9 and overbet to 35MM chips before the flop. Just calling Miles's 13MM bet would've been better. Maybe Miles hits a K or 9 and then shoves all in at some point. Or he hits two pair and doubles up, lol. Crazy game. About to go play our weekly soccer match from 8-10 am. Wonder if this will still be on at 10 am or beyond into the World Cup, which starts at 11 am.

Went to a party until about 1 am and just got back and it's Cynn and Miles with similar stacks (around $200MM each). Missed the soon-to-be-legendary bluff by Miles, who was down 2:1 in chips and behind on a hand with a decent sized pot, and Miles with absolute air (7-5 with a board that was 3-4-J-3-K and no flushes vs. Cynn who had 6-4) and he goes all-in for his last $95MM chips. Cynn even said, "if you're sick enough to pull this bluff off, I just have to let you have it." Tough to call that much more when folding still leaves you in a slight chip lead. Sick.

And we just had a couple of awesome hands, especially the last one, where Cynn had 7-5 and ended up with 5's full of 3's, while Miles had flopped top pair (9's) and the pair on the river is probably what kept Miles in to call a $46MM bet on the river. Right now, Cynn has 238MM to 155MM for Miles - this is a serious heavyweight battle.
The bluff won’t be that legendary now. Love how Cynn trolled him by making him sit there and think about his mistakes. Building up for the next match.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
The bluff won’t be that legendary now. Love how Cynn trolled him by making him sit there and think about his mistakes. Building up for the next match.
Nice job by Cynn, quality player who deserved to win. You will never see Miles again, lucky run for a lucky player, just a moment in time. Cynn will become a fixture at WSOP events in future years.

And the bluff wasn't "legendary" whatsoever, just lucky. Cynn had almost nothing for that board. That's why he didn't call, he had a plan and stuck to it. And then won. Cynn vs. Cada would have been epic!

Nice job by Cynn, quality player who deserved to win. You will never see Miles again, lucky run for a lucky player, just a moment in time. Cynn will become a fixture at WSOP events in future years.

And the bluff wasn't "legendary" whatsoever, just lucky. Cynn had almost nothing for that board. That's why he didn't call, he had a plan and stuck to it. And then won. Cynn vs. Cada would have been epic!
So, yeah, I'll take your poker opinion over Esfandiari's and Hellmuth's. We've found another topic you know very little about. Congrats.

So, yeah, I'll take your poker opinion over Esfandiari's and Hellmuth's. We've found another topic you know very little about. Congrats.
HA! HA! Still can't make up your own mind on a simple topic. You always love to just regurgitate someone else's opinion, just like your weather threads. You know, both of them are being paid to create drama and talk up the action and players, right?

Great job by Cynn, stuck to the plan against a lesser player and won.

Do you really think Cynn trolled him? I don't. I think he was genuinely uncertain about whether to call, although he was clearly leaning that way from the start. Miles was representing a big hand, possibly even K-8 for a full house.

If Cynn had the nut K-Q instead of K-J, don't you think he would have snap-called?

I admit I am not a poker player, just a spectator and fan. So I would defer to those who have actually been in the arena.

Love Lon, Norman and Antonio doing the commentary.

Antonio is pretty good at explaining poker to the layman and setting up the situation, and Norman has some pretty witty moments, but Lon is not good doing live commentary. He messes hands and player reasoning all the time. You can keep him in the both for the shows that cut up the highlights, but Ali and Nick are much better live with their commentary on pokergo, and Tuchman is better on the Twitch streams.

Agree about Cynn, except for maybe Cada, he was clearly the best player at the table and he knew it, not taking risks against Miles early on.

The bluff was very good from Miles for 2 reasons, he hadn't shown an ability to big bluff in the TV coverage that we saw, and the fact that it was for his main event life. I don't think Miles was very good, especially before last night, but you got to give him credit for that. I would assume that Shaun Deeb coached him up a bit and told him to ramp up his aggression.

Do you really think Cynn trolled him? I don't. I think he was genuinely uncertain about whether to call, although he was clearly leaning that way from the start. Miles was representing a big hand, possibly even K-8 for a full house.

If Cynn had the nut K-Q instead of K-J, don't you think he would have snap-called?

I admit I am not a poker player, just a spectator and fan. So I would defer to those who have actually been in the arena.

Wasn't a troll or slowroll, he was just thinking things through in the biggest decision of his life after playing some exhausting days of poker. One of the best in poker, Phil Galfond said it better than I could:

Wonder how often you've bluffed over a life changing event and 3 million bucks......

HA! HA! Still can't make up your own mind on a simple topic. You always love to just regurgitate someone else's opinion, just like your weather threads. You know, both of them are being paid to create drama and talk up the action and players, right?

Great job by Cynn, stuck to the plan against a lesser player and won.
Seriously? I posted about it being legendary before I heard anything from the commentators - they just confirmed what I thought. Tons of other pros said the same and they weren't on TV. You need to learn a little bit about no limit hold-em before spouting off with your silliness. Same thing for the weather threads, but you won't. Whatever - I have no idea why you like looking like a jackass, but you're damn good at it. So you got that goin' for you.

Seriously? I posted about it being legendary before I heard anything from the commentators - they just confirmed what I thought. Tons of other pros said the same and they weren't on TV. You need to learn a little bit about no limit hold-em before spouting off with your silliness. Same thing for the weather threads, but you won't. Whatever - I have no idea why you like looking like a jackass, but you're damn good at it. So you got that goin' for you.
Wow, lose money on the soccer game today? You are even more sensitive than normal lately.

10.5 hours in. Cynn now with a 2:1 chip lead. I think he might've won the whole thing a few hands ago when he had aces against K-9 and overbet to 35MM chips before the flop. Just calling Miles's 13MM bet would've been better. Maybe Miles hits a K or 9 and then shoves all in at some point. Or he hits two pair and doubles up, lol. Crazy game. About to go play our weekly soccer match from 8-10 am. Wonder if this will still be on at 10 am or beyond into the World Cup, which starts at 11 am.

Flew in from So. Cal to OR...and the TV monitors on Jet Blue: couldn't see any of match.

But my fiancée taped the WSOP...except it ended after 3 hours or cut out the ending. I saw a Full house vs a straight....and then NADA.

Is there a link to watch the last day's action anywhere? Could you post it.

Thanks

MO

PS Was just watching Daniel Negranu doing a video on youtube on "ranges" (I don't play poker with anyone ...but would like to start up here in OR). Anyway he explained how you calculate the potential # of hands (interesting). AND THEN I saw this: Miss Finland vs Ronnie??

She's hot...he overthinks, loved the comment: "That's the way all my relationships start, with lies"!

She's hot...he overthinks, loved the comment: "That's the way all my relationships start, with lies"!

Funny video.. thanks for posting. Not sure what the motivation for folding that was... he did put her on straight draw and the 6 did come... but I also wonder if her beauty pageant composure training helped her there.

He absolutely slowrolled him. But not to be a dick, he doesn’t want to give anything away to other players in the future.

At that time, it was a great bluff. But the entire body of work says he’s just got lucky. It was very similar to the final hand. The only difference was the terrible 1st bet and Cynn had a playable hand.

At that time, it was a great bluff. But the entire body of work says he’s just got lucky. It was very similar to the final hand. The only difference was the terrible 1st bet and Cynn had a playable hand.
Bingo! Hit the nail on the head. It was an easy bluff to recognize since it was only a few hands after a big loss (he was tilting). If Cynn had anything more than the bare minimum of hands, he would have called.

Sorry, no - you don't play a marathon 199-hand heads-up with a very, very good pro like Cynn without showing some serious poker skills. Over a dozen lead changes, including coming back from 2 or 3 to 1 chip deficits several times, featuring multiple strong plays, a few serious bluffs and some great laydowns against superior hands, is not something a hack does. And he did not really get all that lucky - even Cynn admitted that he ran pretty lucky against Miles. Also, if you check around the poker media, the consensus is that this was one of the greatest heads-up matches ever in the WSOP - was my favorite in many years, partly because of the incredible back and forth and partly because these just seemed like good guys who really enjoyed playing poker.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...lasts-tony-miles-in-marathon-wsop-main-event/

Sorry, no - you don't play a marathon 199-hand heads-up with a very, very good pro like Cynn without showing some serious poker skills. Over a dozen lead changes, including coming back from 2 or 3 to 1 chip deficits several times, featuring multiple strong plays, a few serious bluffs and some great laydowns against superior hands, is not something a hack does. And he did not really get all that lucky - even Cynn admitted that he ran pretty lucky against Miles. Also, if you check around the poker media, the consensus is that this was one of the greatest heads-up matches ever in the WSOP - was my favorite in many years, partly because of the incredible back and forth and partly because these just seemed like good guys who really enjoyed playing poker.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...lasts-tony-miles-in-marathon-wsop-main-event/
Never said he was a hack. Just said tithe”bluff” was not legendary. It was a great WSOP and the better player won.

Never said he was a hack. Just said tithe”bluff” was not legendary. It was a great WSOP and the better player won.
When you said his entire body of work says he just got lucky, I thought you were talking about the whole heads-up/final table experience being a matter of luck. Thanks for clarifying. Agree on it being a great WSOP and that the better player won, but disagree on that bluff (as does Cynn, by the way).

+1, again. You will never see Miles again, he just had a once in a lifetime run. You will see Cynn and Cada again.

+1, again. You will never see Miles again, he just had a once in a lifetime run. You will see Cynn and Cada again.

While it looked like Cynn was pretty clearly the better player... Miles showed some real skill and poise.. He needs to be more consistent with his decision making, I feel like he could make another run again...Guys like Danneman, and Moon are guys I would consider as that once in a lifetime run... Miles showed way more skill and patience than them...

Miles will be back....here's why

MO

FYI, speaking of Joe Cada, he entered another WSOP tourney after coming in 5th in the Main Event and won his 4th bracelet:

Event #75: $1,500 The Closer No Limit Hold'em
4-Day Event: July 12-15
Number of Entries: 3,120
Total Prize Pool: $4,212,000
Number of Payouts: 457
Winning Hand: 10♥ 10♦
Final Table
Place Name Prize
1st Joe Cada (2/4) $612,886
2nd Paawan Bansal $378,765
3rd Jeffrey Tanouye $278,774
4th Richard Ali $206,813