ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Series of Poker Final Table...

Fascinating Big One for One Drop $1MM buy-in tourney finishing up tonight (winner gets $10MM). The money bubble was 6th place, which got nothing, while 5th place gets the $1MM back. After knocking out Dan Einhorn on the bubble (kind of sad as he had pledged all winnings to charity), we had a really cool hand, where Fedor Holz scored a double knockout.

Holz had 10s, Kaverman had A-5 suited and Saloman had A-10 suited. Kaverman went all in for $8MM chips, then Holz called with his 10s, but then Salomon went all in for about $26MM in chips. After Saloman somehow exposed his ace, Holz called the all-in. The flop came A-K-2, putting Saloman in a huge lead, but the turn was a Q of clubs giving Holz a straight draw and Kaverman a flush draw. And then the river was a 10, giving Holz trips and the hand. Ouch.

Holz is now the big chip leader with 3 players left, all of whom are among the top no-limit player in the world (Justin Bonomo, who would become the all-time tournament winnings leader were he to win this, and Dan Smith are the other 2).

Fascinating Big One for One Drop $1MM buy-in tourney finishing up tonight (winner gets $10MM). The money bubble was 6th place, which got nothing, while 5th place gets the $1MM back. After knocking out Dan Einhorn on the bubble (kind of sad as he had pledged all winnings to charity), we had a really cool hand, where Fedor Holz scored a double knockout.

Holz had 10s, Kaverman had A-5 suited and Saloman had A-10 suited. Kaverman went all in for $8MM chips, then Holz called with his 10s, but then Salomon went all in for about $26MM in chips. After Saloman somehow exposed his ace, Holz called the all-in. The flop came A-K-2, putting Saloman in a huge lead, but the turn was a Q of clubs giving Holz a straight draw and Kaverman a flush draw. And then the river was a 10, giving Holz trips and the hand. Ouch.

Holz is now the big chip leader with 3 players left, all of whom are among the top no-limit player in the world (Justin Bonomo, who would become the all-time tournament winnings leader were he to win this, and Dan Smith are the other 2).

Fell asleep for a bit and when I woke up, Bonomo was heads up with Holz and the big chip leader. Bonomo won about 15 minutes later with A-J against A-4, as Holz went all-in with the ace. Bonomo moved into into the #1 place all-time in tournament winnings ($42MM), passing Danile Negreanu.

https://www.cardplayer.com/poker-ne...er-justin-bonomo-wins-one-drop-for-10-million

Holz is now the big chip leader with 3 players left, all of whom are among the top no-limit player in the world (Justin Bonomo, who would become the all-time tournament winnings leader were he to win this, and Dan Smith are the other 2).[/QUOTE

I wonder if Saloman does not expose the Ace, Holtz still calls. I thought he did it on purpose to induce a fold. Ironically, the way it played out had Saloman just called and taken a flop, he probably would have gotten Holtz to fold by betting or moving all in on the flop or turn.

I wonder if Saloman does not expose the Ace, Holtz still calls. I thought he did it on purpose to induce a fold. Ironically, the way it played out had Saloman just called and taken a flop, he probably would have gotten Holtz to fold by betting or moving all in on the flop or turn.

During the hand when Holz was debating whether to call, Phil said he thought Holz would've been more likely to fold if he hadn't seen the ace, since seeing the ace probably made it more likely that both of the other guys had an ace-something and less likely that either had aces, which he would really fear especially from Saloman who almost had him covered. He could afford to lose the $8MM in chips from Kaverman, but not the $28MM from Saloman (some similarities to the AA vs. KK/KK hand with 10 players left in the Main Event - thinking more about potential future ladder earnings).

They also agreed that Saloman just calling pre-flop and then going all-in on the A-K flop would've made it much more likely for Holz to fold, but that's easy to say post-flop - don't think going all-in there to try to knock Holz out of the hand and isolate him against Kaverman was a bad play at all.

During the hand when Holz was debating whether to call, Phil said he thought Holz would've been more likely to fold if he hadn't seen the ace, since seeing the ace probably made it more likely that both of the other guys had an ace-something and less likely that either had aces, which he would really fear especially from Saloman who almost had him covered. He could afford to lose the $8MM in chips from Kaverman, but not the $28MM from Saloman (some similarities to the AA vs. KK/KK hand with 10 players left in the Main Event - thinking more about potential future ladder earnings).

They also agreed that Saloman just calling pre-flop and then going all-in on the A-K flop would've made it much more likely for Holz to fold, but that's easy to say post-flop - don't think going all-in there to try to knock Holz out of the hand and isolate him against Kaverman was a bad play at all.
I don't disagree with that. My feeling was Saloman made a mistake turning the ace if he thought that would induce the fold. I still believe he did it intentionally.

During the hand when Holz was debating whether to call, Phil said he thought Holz would've been more likely to fold if he hadn't seen the ace, since seeing the ace probably made it more likely that both of the other guys had an ace-something and less likely that either had aces, which he would really fear especially from Saloman who almost had him covered.

As Hellmuth said, but didn't really explain, the exposed ace makes it easier (but still tough) for Fedor to call because it eliminates JJ,QQ,KK from Salomon's range. So now Fedor knows that Salomon has either AA or AK. Without seeing any cards there are 16 combinations of cards to make AK and 6 ways to make AA. Knowing that specifically the ace hearts has been exposed, there are 3 ways to make AA and 4 to make AK. Kaverman's range of open shoving with 12.5 big blinds includes a bunch of aces as well as most pairs. Taking all that in Fedor played the odds and figured he was likely ahead against an AK and a dead ace.

Pretty standard tourney play to jam AK there, can't be results oriented after seeing the flop. AK misses the flop most of the time, but if you get it in pre it has a better chance to hit by the river. Also by jamming there and if by chance he doesn't expose a card, he'll get Fedor to fold some pairs and worse aces some non-trivial percentage of the time.

I don't disagree with that. My feeling was Saloman made a mistake turning the ace if he thought that would induce the fold. I still believe he did it intentionally.

I don't agree on him exposing the ace intentionally, but haven't seen any statements on it either. As SJRU said, showing him the ace means he almost certainly has either aces or A-K and given Kaverman's all-in with an A-X being quite possible, the likelihood of aces is lower, plus it rules out kings, queens and jacks as hands that dominate him (Kaverman could also hold those, but that's only for ~30% of his stack). Salomon is the threat here to Holz's tournament life and Holz now knows a bunch of hands that beat him are no longer possible. The fact that Holz fell way behind then won on the river is why poker can be so fascinating, but cruel.

Here's a great hand that I missed, which was one of the big keys to Bonomo taking a big chip lead near the end. Before this hand they were about even, but after the hand, Bonomo's lead was $110M to $24MM chips. Classic case of why players loosen up so much head-to-head and sometimes see almost any flop for a small raise, although in this case Bonomo calling a $6.7MM raise before the flow was pretty ballsy.

Hand #135: Holz opened for 2.8 million with K-J offsuit and Bonomo made it 9.5 million with 8-4 suited. Holz stuck around and they saw Q-4-3 (with no flush draws for either) on the flop. Bonomo bet 5 million and Holz called. On the turn, which was a 6, Bonomo checked and Holz bet 11.5 million. Bonomo called, swelling the pot to 53 million. The river was an 8 giving Bonomo 2-pair vs. air and Bonomo checked. Holz shoved all in for another $42MM and Bonomo instantly called. Holz was forced to show his airball and Bonomo took it with for eights up.

http://www.wsop.com/m/updates/

Last edited:
I don't agree on him exposing the ace intentionally, but haven't seen any statements on it either. As SJRU said, showing him the ace means he almost certainly has either aces or A-K and given Kaverman's all-in with an A-X being quite possible, the likelihood of aces is lower, plus it rules out kings, queens and jacks as hands that dominate him (Kaverman could also hold those, but that's only for ~30% of his stack). Salomon is the threat here to Holz's tournament life and Holz now knows a bunch of hands that beat him are no longer possible. The fact that Holz fell way behind then won on the river is why poker can be so fascinating, but cruel.

Here's a great hand that I missed, which was one of the big keys to Bonomo taking a big chip lead near the end. Before this hand they were about even, but after the hand, Bonomo's lead was $110M to $24MM chips. Classic case of why players loosen up so much head-to-head and sometimes see almost any flop for a small raise, although in this case Bonomo calling a $6.7MM raise before the flow was pretty ballsy.

Hand #135: Holz opened for 2.8 million with K-J offsuit and Bonomo made it 9.5 million with 8-4 suited. Holz stuck around and they saw Q-4-3 (with no flush draws for either) on the flop. Bonomo bet 5 million and Holz called. On the turn, which was a 6, Bonomo checked and Holz bet 11.5 million. Bonomo called, swelling the pot to 53 million. The river was an 8 giving Bonomo 2-pair vs. air and Bonomo checked. Holz shoved all in and Bonomo instantly called. Holz was forced to show his airball and Bonomo took it with for eights up.

http://www.wsop.com/m/updates/
That was an interesting hand. I give Holz credit for firing three bullets but I would have preferred he check back the turn for pot control. There was really no reason to commit himself to that pot in that spot.

That was an interesting hand. I give Holz credit for firing three bullets but I would have preferred he check back the turn for pot control. There was really no reason to commit himself to that pot in that spot.

Agreed, but I'm guessing most of us bantering in this thread have been there and it's tough knowing the only way to win that pot is to go all in. You look like the man when it works and a moron when it doesn't. And if you don't ever show the ability to go all-in with a bluff, players will see that and capitalize on it, which is why I thought Miles's all-in bluff against Cynn, knocking him off the winning hand, was so clutch.

Agreed, but I'm guessing most of us bantering in this thread have been there and it's tough knowing the only way to win that pot is to go all in. You look like the man when it works and a moron when it doesn't. And if you don't ever show the ability to go all-in with a bluff, players will see that and capitalize on it, which is why I thought Miles's all-in bluff against Cynn, knocking him off the winning hand, was so clutch.
That was a great play by Miles. I would have liked Holz's play more if he was OOP. In position, objectively I would have made that bluff if a scare card like an Ace hits the turn or river.

That was a great play by Miles. I would have liked Holz's play more if he was OOP. In position, objectively I would have made that bluff if a scare card like an Ace hits the turn or river.

Fair point, although he's probably thinking if I appear to bet maybe 10-15MM representing value, Bonomo maybe goes all-in and then he has a really tough decision. The all in for another 40MM or so is a far more powerful bet - just at the wrong time. I'd probably just give up and check there on the end, as I'm still beating >90% of the no-pair hands with K-J. That's probably also why I wasn't at the final table, lol.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Fair point, although he's probably thinking if I appear to bet maybe 10-15MM representing value, Bonomo maybe goes all-in and then he has a really tough decision. The all in for another 40MM or so is a far more powerful bet - just at the wrong time. I'd probably just give up and check there on the end, as I'm still beating >90% of the no-pair hands with K-J. That's probably also why I wasn't at the final table, lol.
I would have checked the river as well on the board that played out. Which is why I am having this conversation with you in cyberspace and not over drinks at the Rio.:sunglasses:

Reactions: RU848789
Getting back to Holz and the three way all in. I wonder if the hand would have played out another wayif they were on the bubble rather than in the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT