ADVERTISEMENT

Pagin Ragin Russ Wood: Paul M.

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
In your opinion what are the chances he becomes a 4 star?

Also, do you believe he has the sphere of influence to bring more talent to the banks (any ideas"???").
Just wondering....and very happy about Paul joining RU ! :cool2:

MO

I don't think our next update is until after July but, based on what I've seen so far this travel season, I cannot reccomend a fourth star for Mulcahy.

He needs so much improvement on defense.

I told Richard Schnyderite last night that at times I felt bad for Mulcahy when I was watching him play. He was getting abused. Guys were going right right past him and getting to the cup.

I was almost hoping the kid was playing on a sprained ankle, plantar fascitis or turf toe.

That's how much difficulty he had with his on ball defense.

The kid is definitely a very good playmaker though.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I don't think our next update is until after July but, based on what I've seen so far this travel season, I cannot reccomend a fourth star for Mulcahy.

I told Richard Schnyderite last night that at times I felt bad for Mulcahy when I was watching him play. He was getting abused. Guys were going right right past him and getting to the cup.

I was almost hoping the kid was playing on a sprained ankle, plantar fascitis or turf toe.

He actually stated in an interview today that he's been playing on a really messed up ankle and it is making him think about what his summer plans are so he can rehab it... sooo, maybe you were being really perceptive, lol... gonna see if I can find the link

OK … Pikiell is a "D" coach/ I believe he will coach Paul up.

On the other hand, he seems to have ball skills and an assortment of shots.

It's May, it's Spring, it's a Rutgersfest….give him the 4th star and you'll feel better!~ :smiley:

MO

Reactions: RUhobbit
OK … Pikiell is a "D" coach/ I believe he will coach Paul up.

On the other hand, he seems to have ball skills and an assortment of shots.

It's May, it's Spring, it's a Rutgersfest….give him the 4th star and you'll feel better!~ :smiley:

MO
It wasn't so much defensive technique as it was lateral quickness and footwork. Which he may be able to improve some.

We currently have him ranked No. 138, the lowest ranked four-star prospect is No. 115, so you are talking a very strong move up in the rankings to get a fourth star. Is that possible? Sure. Will it happen at the next update? I, for one, need to see more from Mulcahy. There are a couple of more Under Armour Association sessions left, I look forward to watching those games.

Reactions: RAA-1

Not what the choir wanted to hear. :weary:

none of these kids are finished products at this point; even the 5 stars. Every player has stuff to improve on and hopefully Paul can improve his lateral quickness somewhat and become a serviceable defender. Also, Pike and Jay Young are great defensive coaches so they will put Paul in the best position to succeed and not have him matched up on the other teams point guards. I can see a lot of cross matching with our guards since I can see us playing 3 or even 4 at a time. I think Paul will handle the ball for us on offense, but will play other teams 3's . In high school once their big kid got hurt, he guarded the other teams 5.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Actually, most hoops fans on here are objective and value Russ' opinions. Same with bdodger when he posts- another one who never sugarcoats anything but has great info.

Again, please resist the urge to be a dick when you are posting as a guest on another team's board. I know it's difficult, but if Mulcahy can work on his D, you can work on not being a D.

Well luckily what Pike & staff excel at are coaching up on the defensive end. Corey had a good foundation at playing D but Pike took him to another level once he ran the show & I expect him to do the same with Paul where we will see vast improvements YOY. The kid has height & seems to have the drive/motivation to want to succeed so you have to believe the buy in is there. He seems very unselfish which is what we need (we will see over time if that also hurts us as guys were previously passive to Corey) but no doubt in my mind he can grow on the defensive end & help his overall play.

Just read some of his quotes & you can tell this kid will become a fan favorite on the banks with his attitude.

I recall when a lot of fans were excited about Geoff Billet committing but so many others, including pundits, voiced concern about his on ball defense. As it turned out, once he got on the court here, his ability to stay in front of his man on defense was one of his strengths. Wenzel never had a doubt. Let’s see how he does here on D.

Reactions: Rhuarc
He actually stated in an interview today that he's been playing on a really messed up ankle and it is making him think about what his summer plans are so he can rehab it... sooo, maybe you were being really perceptive, lol... gonna see if I can find the link
Correct. He has been playing on a “messed up” ankle (Mulcahy’s words) so that would explain his difficulties. I really don’t care about being a 4 Star. The fact that Northwestern, Uconn, Seton Hall, Xavier, VT and more wanted him tells how good he is. This is the perfect player to run Pike’s offense.

Reactions: dkostus

Really? You give stars based on Defense!? If that's the case 90% of HS 3, 4, 5, star kids would be eliminated! If anything, desire, rebounding "effort" and Basketball IQ should be put way ahead of actual Defensive abilities. How to play in front of your man, moving feet, hands out or up, are all skill sets that can be learned actually fairly easily with a decent coach. You should know that.
But, desire, effort those things can't be taught. HS basketball players should be getting stars on potential, based on size, speed, ability to create shots, making those shots, court awareness, rebounding, and the ability to make teammates better on the court. Defense, can be learned, as long as desire is there.
Now if you were evaluating a College kid, going into the Pro ranks, that's another thing. But you are not!
PM has the one ability that very few HS kids have in todays game, the ability to put the ball into the hands of the shooters, while sacrificing his own shots, and 6'5" point guards in HS don't grow on trees. That's rare, and warrants a higher star consideration from the so called experts. Throw in the fact that his court awareness is exceptional for his age, this kid is a at least a 4, maybe even a 5 star. This kid will be a Pro, and won't be because he can score 30 points per game, or his great defense(though I expect it will get much better in college). He'll become one because of everything he does that others don't.
And, I say this with no skin in the game.

Last edited:
Really? You give stars based on Defense!? If that's the case 90% of HS 3, 4, 5, star kids would be eliminated! If anything, desire, rebounding "effort" and Basketball IQ should be put way ahead of actual Defensive abilities. How to play in front of your man, moving feet, hands out or up, are all skill sets that can be learned actually fairly easily with a decent coach. You should know that.
But, desire, effort those things can't be taught. HS basketball players should be getting stars on potential, based on size, speed, ability to create shots, making those shots, court awareness, rebounding, and the ability to make teammates better on the court. Defense, can be learned, as long as desire is there.
Now if you were evaluating a College kid, going into the Pro ranks, that's another thing. But you are not!
PM has the one ability that very few HS kids have in todays game, the ability to put the ball into the hands of the shooters, while sacrificing his own shots, and 6'5" point guards in HS don't grow on trees. That's rare, and warrants a higher star consideration from the so called experts. Throw in the fact that his court awareness is exceptional for his age, this kid is a at least a 4, maybe even a 5 star. This kid will be a Pro, and won't be because he can score 30 points per game, or his great defense(though I expect it will get much better in college). He'll become one because of everything he does that others don't.
And, I say this with no skin in the game.

Lets pump the breaks...maybe a 5 star and future PRO?

Very good pickup and a major piece going forward.

Noticed you didn't reply to the below in the Manuel thread. Not what your choir wanted to hear I guess.

For those who keep asking for recruiting updates on local kids, it appears Seton Hall verbal, Valdir Manuel (Patrick School) may not sign by the May 16th deadline for Spring signers....(uncertain on if he will be 100% eligible)...if the players signs, he takes one of the available spots for a team but SHU and the player are not bound to each other, as long as there is no Letter of Intent signed.

The player could remain committed to the school in hopes of becoming a certain enrollee without signing by Wednesday but the school can pursue other options as could Manuel.

Reactions: koleszar
Not being able to stay in front of defenders would be a problem and an obvious liability. Obviously improvement can occur.

Let's not forget he is a legitimate 6'5'' and has the length to close out on shooters which might be more important TODAY then staying in front of penetrators.

As said above he will most likely guard opposing 3s on defense....not that a B1G 3s is a slouch though.

I am very happy we got Paul, however my expectations are tempered. I hate the stupid star and ranking systems, but if you were to assign probabilities of success of a kid his ranking it wouldn't be a can't miss. I'd bet large variations from players in his ranking ballpark.

The great news is he enters a program with a foundation built with well defined parameters of what is necessary for a player to get minutes. The keys to the offense won't be given to him on Day 1.

Lets pump the breaks...maybe a 5 star and future PRO?

Very good pickup and a major piece going forward.
Yup, and why not!? All the qualities are there, what he does at RU will be paramount, but as far as his skill set, why not? Have you seen a Pro game lately? The filtered talent level is atrocious, not one player I would pay to see(with the exception of Stephen Curry). No, I wouldn't watch LaBron, if you paid me.
Throw in the fact that he's white(as politically incorrect as that may be), it's big need for the NBA to hold viewership, yeah I can see him going Pro.

Yup, and why not!? All the qualities are there, what he does at RU will be paramount, but as far as his skill set, why not? Have you seen a Pro game lately? The filtered talent level is atrocious, not one player I would pay to see(with the exception of Stephen Curry). No, I wouldn't watch LaBron, if you paid me.
Throw in the fact that he's white(as politically incorrect as that may be), it's big need for the NBA to hold viewership, yeah I can see him going Pro.

okay.

We want your opinion and then once you provide it we want to criticize it. SMH.

Seriously though, thanks for the insight. Greatly appreciated.
No, you want his opinion. I am just commenting on the lack of insight that opinion has. This is still a board where all opinions can be challenged, or has that changed too?

No, you want his opinion. I am just commenting on the lack of insight that opinion has. This is still a board where all opinions can be challenged, or has that changed too?

I only responded to the 5 star and future PRO comment. 5 stars are 1 and done type talent and not many people would share that view right now. But, it's your opinion.

Then, you totally lost me when you brought up the "white" comment. But, go for it.

Reactions: BLewis1968
No, I wouldn't watch LaBron, if you paid me.

giphy.gif

K3AE.gif

Curious how you know so much about the NBA if you only watch Steph Curry?

I am very happy to have Mulcahy. I liked him from from the moment I saw his first highlight. Very Good player, but, most would agree that he needs to improve his shot ( he has plenty of time) and get better on defense (just like most high schoolers entering college).

I only responded to the 5 star and future PRO comment. 5 stars are 1 and done type talent and not many people would share that view right now. But, it's your opinion.

Then, you totally lost me when you brought up the "white" comment. But, go for it.
Why, you don't think that is true??? Less people are watching the NBA today, than 30 years ago. Fact. The NBA is importing more and more European "white" players than ever before. Fact. The NBA finals was the least watched finals of any sport EVER. Fact.
So, you can live in your world, and I will live in mine.

I thought I was coming back to this thread to read some good commentary.

Instead, we got this garbage from KnightsofChrome...
I aim to please. Sorry, that you can't understand the value of a good debate, or just a difference of opinion. But, I guess that's the world we live in now.

You are off your rocker

Another solid piece is the bottom line. Just keep bringing in kids like this ranked in the 50-150 range with multiple D-1 offers and we will be good to go. Some will work out. Some won't. And that's just fine. This is the way to success. The only way.

Reactions: hiwater
"it offends" you, lol.......snowflake, I really don't care about your delicate premise .... "offends" you....too funny!
Lol... you're the one freaking out and immediately questioning whether this is an open forum just because someone pushed back, and then you call other people snowflakes? The same f'ing fake victimhood that we get all over these days. Pathetic. Try stating your opinion like an intelligent, reasonable person and then perhaps people will consider it an exchange of ideas/opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT