ADVERTISEMENT

Quint Kessinich takes a shot at the Rutgers non-conference schedule

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
Yeah, I know Quint has never been the biggest Rutgers fan and he can be a jerk but he's not wrong. RU's non-conference schedule is pretty poor compared to other Big Ten teams. B. Brecht and S. Pikiell definitely have similar philosophies about scheduling.

Not as tough as Maryland and Hopkins but I don't see much difference with the others. The game against Loyola probably should count for more. And SOS didn't stop him from moving Harvard moving ahead of Rutgers. Nobody they've played is ranked, though BU was very early. As has been discussed on this board for a while, an OOC game against Yale, Penn or Brown (although Quint wouldn't give them any credit for Brown this year) would help.

If he cares so much he should call some of those programs he's always kissing up to and get them to play us. They almost all either dropped the series (UVa/Syracuse) or don't have the balls to come to NJ and square up.

At the end of the day our RPI will be fine. The schedule isn't an accident. A lot of analytics goes into it. The B1G season alone will ensure that.

Reactions: TRU2RU
If he cares so much he should call some of those programs he's always kissing up to and get them to play us. They almost all either dropped the series (UVa/Syracuse) or don't have the balls to come to NJ and square up.

At the end of the day our RPI will be fine. The schedule isn't an accident. A lot of analytics goes into it. The B1G season alone will ensure that.
I respect all the excellent insight and knowledge your provide to the board but let me be clear - are you implying Syracuse is afraid to play Rutgers but not afraid to play Maryland and Hopkins? Are you saying Virginia fears Rutgers but not Ohio State, Michigan, Hopkins and Maryland? Notre Dame will schedule Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan but never Rutgers?

All would be great showcases for the RU program.

Reactions: nyclax21
I'm not implying it. I am stating it as a known fact. We had a series scheduled with them and have played them many times. We were prepared to continue that series. They opted out.

Uva? We have a 4 year deal that they cancelled after two games. Just as we were ascending.

Scared? Not sure I'd use that word. But there is a reason we don't play those schools and it isn't on our end.

This is what Quint said. I mean, what a d*ck with the bada bing crap.

18) Rutgers​

Bada Bing, Bada Bang, Bada boom held serve 13-8 over Hofstra in the rain. RU is 19-3 in non-conference play over the past three seasons, a direct result of their low SOS.

Jersey boys and Detroit meet on Tuesday and then Princeton and RU battle in a trophy game on Sunday, which is a real gauge.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the facts that establish your point. It gets tiresome to hear people argue against Rutgers on our fan board.

I respect all the excellent insight and knowledge your provide to the board but let me be clear - are you implying Syracuse is afraid to play Rutgers but not afraid to play Maryland and Hopkins? Are you saying Virginia fears Rutgers but not Ohio State, Michigan, Hopkins and Maryland? Notre Dame will schedule Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan but never Rutgers?

Some factors you might consider. Syracuse used to play Rutgers fairly regularly until I believe 8 years ago. Virginia has played Hopkins and Maryland for well over half a century. Syracuse wants to play in the Dome during the OOC part of the season. They are playing their first 7 games this year, including Army and Maryland, at home. I think you need to take the home and home, or lack thereof, into consideration. Loyola will play a home and home series and does. Second hand, but I believe the home and home became an issue for Virginia.

The Acc teams are like SEC football teams. They have a hard time traveling when the weather isn't nice.

Syracuse won't leave the Dome. The last time they came to NJ in March they got smoked.

18) Rutgers​

Bada Bing, Bada Bang, Bada boom held serve 13-8 over Hofstra in the rain. RU is 19-3 in non-conference play over the past three seasons, a direct result of their low SOS.

Jersey boys and Detroit meet on Tuesday and then Princeton and RU battle in a trophy game on Sunday, which is a real gauge.
That shit is borderline stereotypical. In this soft era of PC, why isn't he taking heat on that crap?

Reactions: Caliknight
Part of what irritates me about the OOC strength of schedule talk, especially from someone like Quint, is the implication that unless you play an ACC team, your OOC is poor. It also gets away from regional rivalries or watching games against new teams. Was Utah a powerhouse, nope, but was fun seeing RU play them last year. Would like to see them play again - especially for a road trip in Utah.

It also doesn't take into account the conference schedule. Yes, if you are GT or Denver, you probably need an ACC (or B1G) on the schedule since you play a league with some very poor teams such as Providence or St. John's. Meanwhile, RU will have conference games against at least 4 teams in the top 15, with 1 or 2 possibly top 5 by the time we play.

Our SOS at the end of the year will be more than sufficient. Watch.

If we played all Acc teams (they won't play us) Lil Quint would cry that Rutgers isn't giving other schools a chance to beat power conference teams.

F Quint. He's becoming antiquated in the game anyway.

Our schedule will be much tougher than say, Denver's when the dust settles.

I'll say it again. Scheduling is hard. We have limited dates to get OOC games in. The B1G mandates that once the B1G season starts, only conference games can be played. I love it, but it does limit scheduling opportunities.

There are a couple of pieces to this 1- most of the ACC schools see a loss to Rutgers as far more damaging to their record than a loss to either Hopkins or Maryland. 2- Most of these schools want home games and do not like the fact that Rutgers demands home games in return. We used to always play Syracuse and it was always home and home and now they won't, Duke played us Home and home until we got good enough to beat them, same with UVA. ESPN and the ACC want to control the narrative that 4 ACC schools should be in the tournament.

Part of what irritates me about the OOC strength of schedule talk, especially from someone like Quint, is the implication that unless you play an ACC team, your OOC is poor. It also gets away from regional rivalries or watching games against new teams. Was Utah a powerhouse, nope, but was fun seeing RU play them last year. Would like to see them play again - especially for a road trip in Utah.

It also doesn't take into account the conference schedule. Yes, if you are GT or Denver, you probably need an ACC (or B1G) on the schedule since you play a league with some very poor teams such as Providence or St. John's. Meanwhile, RU will have conference games against at least 4 teams in the top 15, with 1 or 2 possibly top 5 by the time we play.
Exactly. The worst B1G team is OSU and they're RVs. The worst team in the BE is St. John's and our backups would murder the Johnnies. Big difference.

There are a couple of pieces to this 1- most of the ACC schools see a loss to Rutgers as far more damaging to their record than a loss to either Hopkins or Maryland. 2- Most of these schools want home games and do not like the fact that Rutgers demands home games in return. We used to always play Syracuse and it was always home and home and now they won't, Duke played us Home and home until we got good enough to beat them, same with UVA. ESPN and the ACC want to control the narrative that 4 ACC schools should be in the tournament.
Gonna enjoy seeing FSU rip the ACC apart from the inside out with their court battle.

This goes to the heart of the matter. Do you want to travel south year after year early in the season just t prove a point? You lose, and the Quints of the world say "well, there you go." Win and the retort is "well, it's early in the season."

There is another fact to consider. You have no way of knowing how the opponents you play in early games are going to fare later in the season. If we had Syracuse on the schedule last year and beat them, the retort by Quint would have been "well, they caught them in a down year."

Lastly, why be concerned by opinions and polls in the first week in March? It will have very little impact by the end of April.

Yeah … he’s right … Army is only ranked 2nd and first in RPI … such a pushover team.

Reactions: mattkamish
Yeah … he’s right … Army is only ranked 2nd and first in RPI … such a pushover team.
I don't know how they do it but Army is very good... and RU got run off the field by them.

Army also did something last year in the NCAA tournament that Rutgers has not done once since joining the Big Ten but that's another discussion. All the credit in the world to Army lax.

I don't know how they do it but Army is very good... and RU got run off the field by them.

Army also did something last year in the NCAA tournament that Rutgers has not done once since joining the Big Ten but that's another discussion. All the credit in the world to Army lax.

Considering Rutgers made the Final Four in 2022 and Army didn't make the finals in 2023 (I believe they did in the early 70's) I'd be interested in what that was.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Considering Rutgers made the Final Four in 2022 and Army didn't make the finals in 2023 (I believe they did in the early 70's) I'd be interested in what that was.
Beat Maryland. If lacrosse got more mainstream media publicity (I wish it would) this would be a discussion point. The losing streak to them is beyond ugly and the sooner it ends the better. I get Maryland is Maryland but it has to bother this program's leadership.

The other 4 teams in the conference lose to them regularly too but only RU hasn't beaten them even once since Big Ten lacrosse was born.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
This goes to the heart of the matter. Do you want to travel south year after year early in the season just t prove a point? You lose, and the Quints of the world say "well, there you go." Win and the retort is "well, it's early in the season."

There is another fact to consider. You have no way of knowing how the opponents you play in early games are going to fare later in the season. If we had Syracuse on the schedule last year and beat them, the retort by Quint would have been "well, they caught them in a down year."

Lastly, why be concerned by opinions and polls in the first week in March? It will have very little impact by the end of April.

We are happy to go down south and play. They have to come up north though. They are not willing to do that.

Syacuse with 7 home games to start the season is absurd. Great to see it backfiring on them.

Reactions: TRU2RU and rufamily
Beat Maryland. If lacrosse got more mainstream media publicity (I wish it would) this would be a discussion point. The losing streak to them is beyond ugly and the sooner it ends the better. I get Maryland is Maryland but it has to bother this program's leadership.

The other 4 teams in the conference lose to them regularly too but only RU hasn't beaten them even once since Big Ten lacrosse was born.

No doubt. It's time. I thought this was the year prior to the injuries. The lacrosse gods owe us some good fortune after what we are going through this first half of the season. Hopefully we get some of the guys back pretty soon to display the team as it was comprised.

Detroit Mercy legit has to be one of the worst teams in the D1 level. RU can hang 25+ on them if they want to. It's 12-1 RU right before halftime.

It's pretty simple:

BEAT PRINCETON and shut him up.

I'm assuming a good portion of the 14 injured guys (12 on Sat) are ready to go on Saturday. Should be a nice, rested, "plus."

Reactions: Wagram97
It's pretty simple:

I'm assuming a good portion of the 14 injured guys (12 on Sat) are ready to go on Saturday. Should be a nice, rested, "plus."

I don't know about "good portion", but some.

It's pretty simple:

That clown will never shut up. If only we could just slam him into a locker like people did to him every day from age 5 to 18 like the good old days lol.

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Our OOC will be fine. Army loss won’t hurt us too much, Loyola will turn out to be a good win. Beat Princeton and it all comes down to B1G play.
Yep. As long as we handle Princeton and UMass on the road, we just need to find 2-3 B1G wins and we will be in the thick of the May Madness picture.

We had our easier week of the season. Now comes one of the hardest. Princeton Sunday then Umass on 6 days rest. Both are good and will be a challenge. There was a time when a 20 ranked team could never compete with a top 10 team. Those days are over. Georgetown was 19 when they beat number 1 ND. Umass and Princeton are both ranked. Both will be tough. One at a time. Princeton is young but coming together. They have a bunch of talent. Their D is suspect. I think our O will have success. But so will theirs. Faceoffs and goalie play. We need to excel there.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
We had our easier week of the season. Now comes one of the hardest. Princeton Sunday then Umass on 6 days rest. Both are good and will be a challenge. There was a time when a 20 ranked team could never compete with a top 10 team. Those days are over. Georgetown was 19 when they beat number 1 ND. Umass and Princeton are both ranked. Both will be tough. One at a time. Princeton is young but coming together. They have a bunch of talent. Their D is suspect. I think our O will have success. But so will theirs. Faceoffs and goalie play. We need to excel there.

With all the starters sitting out the 2nd half I don't think 6 days is a problem. Gianforcano in the goal for Princeton is a challenge, despite the close D not being a strength. Hopefully there won't be 14 sidelined on Sunday. IIRC Kulas had a great game last year. A repeat would be nice.

Reactions: Wagram97
He did. We are getting a close to a couple of the injured guys returning. Could be Princeton. Could also not be. But it's close for a couple of them.

He did. We are getting a close to a couple of the injured guys returning. Could be Princeton. Could also not be. But it's close for a couple of them.
Do you know if Splaine and Hund were just kept out of yesterday’s game for precautionary reasons, or are they now going to be questionable going forward?

Understand if you don’t feel comfortable answering.

18) Rutgers​

I could be wrong on this, but didn’t our B1G color commentator, Rick Mercurio, coin the “Bada Bing, Bada Boom!” phrase as it relates to RU lax? If so, I don’t fault Quint for using it, and it actually is a net positive. Beyond that, though, Quint is a prick.

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT