ADVERTISEMENT

RE: the article about Ash's Plan details

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point

Management speak doesn't impress me.
That doesn't mean it won't work, that just means I've been there, done that and I'll wait to see. EVERY new boss rearranges the furniture, establishes new protocols, talks about changing the 'cutlure,' etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

There's a big difference between "Management Speak" and already laying the steel bars and pouring the concrete. I'm pretty sure he's done a little more than just arrange the furniture.

How exactly is overhauling the weight room, new equipment, better nutrition, 24/7 food availability, and a detailed program preparing kids for life after football complete with internships "bullshit wrapped up in management speak"?

What I meant is that 90 percent of the time the "new boss" culture change is bullshit wrapped up in management speak. Thus I'll reserve my excitement.

Are you telling me that a snackbar, new dorms, a new floor in the weight room, brighter colors in the hale center, and internships are going to work miracles?

The new S and C coordinator absolutely is huge and could yield tremendous results, but who knows until we actually see it? Right now Ash is selling himself and his staff, like any coach would.

There's a big difference between "Management Speak" and already laying the steel bars and pouring the concrete.

Huh? Unless we are actually pouring concrete and laying steel, that's the epitome of management speak! CEOs do love their metaphors. And their acronyms. Can't wait to see some acronyms!

What I meant is that 90 percent of the time the "new boss" culture change is bullshit wrapped up in management speak. Thus I'll reserve my excitement.

Are you telling me that a snackbar, new dorms, a new floor in the weight room, brighter colors in the hale center, and internships are going to work miracles?

The new S and C coordinator absolutely is huge and could yield tremendous results, but who knows until we actually see it? Right now Ash is selling himself and his staff, like any coach would.

Your problem is you don't know the difference from the forest from the trees. Here let me clue you in:

3 star overrated QB recruit = Tree

Nutrition program = Forest

Reactions: MrsScrew and RU5781
I hope fans are now understanding why some of us are very high on Ash. He is in many ways similar to Schiano in the sense that he is concentrating on the foundation of the program.

But aren't many of the things that Ash is changing, the things that Schiano put in place. I was under the impression that for the most part, Flood just continued the off-field strategies and programs that Schiano had initiated. Maybe Flood wasn't as adept in managing these programs. But it wasn't like Flood took Schiano's nutrition program and scrapped it.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You don't think taking families to new dorms instead of not even showing them the crappy ones kids used to live in won't help recruiting? You don't think the opportunity for a kid to something healthy for free can help in meeting their target wights? While we are a long way away from looking like Oregon you think all those Cali kids flocked there for the granola and mountain bike trails? Kids like shiny new things, they want to hand out in places that provide the things they like. If that's better TV's, comfortable lockers, xbox, or free snacks than great. TO me, the more time these kids are hanging our in the Hale center the better off they will be as both football players and students.

Reactions: RedSpartan
Your problem is you don't know the difference from the forest from the trees. Here let me clue you in:

3 star overrated QB recruit = Tree

Nutrition program = Forest

You need to polish up your metaphor game if you ever want to rise above Vice President. It's "you cannot see the forest for the trees."

Wow, you want to get personal with me? That's ironic, considering the topic at hand. You assume an awful lot about me considering all I said is that I'm skeptical of "new boss" rhetoric, which is as common as the crow. Do everyone a favor and stick to the issue.

I find your skepticism fair. Unfortunately, unless your waving Pom-poms around here, you're going to be attacked.

However, if the results materialize, you will need to give credit where it's due.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You don't think taking families to new dorms instead of not even showing them the crappy ones kids used to live in won't help recruiting? You don't think the opportunity for a kid to something healthy for free can help in meeting their target wights? While we are a long way away from looking like Oregon you think all those Cali kids flocked there for the granola and mountain bike trails? Kids like shiny new things, they want to hand out in places that provide the things they like. If that's better TV's, comfortable lockers, xbox, or free snacks than great. TO me, the more time these kids are hanging our in the Hale center the better off they will be as both football players and students.

Yes ,I'm sure putting all the football players in Livi suites will have a minor positive effect on recruiting. I'm not denying that. Does anyone know if that's actually going to happen? Where did they used to live? Where are they going to live now? I've heard Ash talk about it, but it's not like he can just decree "all the football players get to live in 5 star housing." Seems like something the President and even the trustees might have to approve.

I haven't lived in a Rutgers dorm since 1999, so I don't really know the lay of the land here in terms of the possibilities. Whatever effect it will have on recruiting will depend on what Ash can actually convince the University to do.

Like I said: skepticism. Not dismissiveness, but skepticism.

Reactions: mdh2003
Also anybody minimizing the "internship" program and the effect on recruiting is simply shortsighted. Those who are familiar with the recruiting circles will tell you that one of the advantages of Notre Dame is that coaches, parents and recruits know that Notre Dame is known for having an unbelievable network in the work force. Many of these kids will never make it to the NFL and believe it or not, many of them understand that. Ensuring kids and their parents that they will be fine even if football doesn't work out is a HUGE element in improving recruiting.

Reactions: vascosg
I find your skepticism fair. Unfortunately, unless your waving Pom-poms around here, you're going to be attacked.

However, if the results materialize, you will need to give credit where it's due.

Dude, if the results materialize I'll donate for the Ash statue across from Willie the Silent. I HOPE IT ALL WORKS! I hope that's abundantly clear to all.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Also anybody minimizing the "internship" program and the effect on recruiting is simply shortsighted. Those who are familiar with the recruiting circles will tell you that one of the advantages of Notre Dame is that coaches, parents and recruits know that Notre Dame is known for having an unbelievable network in the work force. Many of these kids will never make it to the NFL and believe it or not, many of them understand that. Ensuring kids and their parents that they will be fine even if football doesn't work out is a HUGE element in improving recruiting.

I'm sure that''s all true, but wasn't Flood talking about this all the time? Maybe Ash will make it better. Maybe he won't. WE'LL SEE!

Is Ash simply talking? Yes or no?

No, he's putting in a snack bar, putting in a new floor, getting better flat screen TVs, and various other things that he is saying will help improve the culture of the football program. I hope he's right! Referring to those things as "laying steel and pouring concrete" is, indeed, management speak of the most garden variety.

LL, I see what you're saying and acknowledge truth in it, as related to "typical" corporate speak by exuberant new (young) execs in upper-management. But real "change agents" show results to back up the talk, and most (unfortunately) are pretenders or ineffective. Only RESULTS are what separate the "talk the talk" from the "walk the walk."

But the new guy always DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, even from the most jaded in the organization, until his results prove otherwise. I hope we can all agree that the collective and sweeping program changes---as communicated in the Scout article---are indicative that Ash and the department are moving the program forward in many areas that impact recruiting (player and family), conditioning, development, academics, on-field performance, and (hopefully) "wins."

You're a skeptic. I get it. You're not alone. You just made the mistake of vocalizing it. here.

But aren't many of the things that Ash is changing, the things that Schiano put in place. I was under the impression that for the most part, Flood just continued the off-field strategies and programs that Schiano had initiated. Maybe Flood wasn't as adept in managing these programs. But it wasn't like Flood took Schiano's nutrition program and scrapped it.

I would agree with this, BUT I don't feel confident that Flood held the players accountable like Schiano did. I am not sure, but it just seemed more lax; only my opinion.

LL, I see what you're saying and acknowledge truth in it, as related to "typical" corporate speak by exuberant new (young) execs in upper-management. But real "change agents" show results to back up the talk, and most (unfortunately) are pretenders or ineffective. Only RESULTS are what separate the "talk the talk" from the "walk the walk."

But the new guy always DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, even from the most jaded in the organization, until his results prove otherwise. I hope we can all agree that the collective and sweeping program changes---as communicated in the Scout article---are indicative that Ash and the department are moving the program forward in many areas that impact recruiting (player and family), conditioning, development, academics, on-field performance, and (hopefully) "wins."

You're a skeptic. I get it. You're not alone. You just made the mistake of vocalizing it. here.

Sure: Ash deserves the benefit of the doubt and a very long leash, as far as I'm concerned. Make no mistake: I want to believe. We all have an inner Mulder and an inner Scully, and we are well served to listen to them both.

I would agree with this, BUT I don't feel confident that Flood held the players accountable like Schiano did. I am not sure, but it just seemed more lax; only my opinion.

Well, your opinion and the police blotter to back it up, lol.

I think we all are in vehement agreement that the program will benefit from a healthy dose of Schiano-esque discipline.

No, he's putting in a snack bar, putting in a new floor, getting better flat screen TVs, and various other things that he is saying will help improve the culture of the football program. I hope he's right! Referring to those things as "laying steel and pouring concrete" is, indeed, management speak of the most garden variety.
Why do builders stage houses before they show them?
And the housing thing IS happening. In fact, he was told their is zero shot of it occurring as the person in charge won't play ball. Guess what? Whatever he told her in their meeting worked because it's a done deal.

No, the skepticism isn't fair when you are comparing what is happening to simply rearranging the furniture. If you're going to be a skeptic, at least provide one that IS fair. Here is an example:

Mehringer might be an up and coming hot young coach, but he is still very inexperienced. Therefore, how the offense will turn out is very much a HUGE QUESTION MARK. Anybody saying or expecting that we will be scoring lots of point in year 1 of the Mehringer offense might be disappointed. I will have to see it to believe it before I declare our offense in good hands.

See the difference?

Reactions: winRU
No, the skepticism isn't fair when you are comparing what is happening to simply rearranging the furniture. If you're going to be a skeptic, at least provide one that IS fair. Here is an example:

Mehringer might be an up and coming hot young coach, but he is still very inexperienced. Therefore, how the offense will turn out is very much a HUGE QUESTION MARK. Anybody saying or expecting that we will be scoring lots of point in year 1 of the Mehringer offense might be disappointed. I will have to see it to believe it before I declare our offense in good hands.

See the difference?

Sign me up for sustained drives and more first downs. Gotta walk before you can run.

See the difference?

According to the article, though, Ash LITERALLY IS rearranging the furniture. That's not all he's doing, of course. He also opened a snack bar, etc. The utility of these "cultural" changes merit skepticism, and if we can, according to you, be skeptical of Mehringer (of course), then can we not also be skeptical that our new S&C will work miracles? Wasn't he an assistant at OSU?

Yes ,I'm sure putting all the football players in Livi suites will have a minor positive effect on recruiting. I'm not denying that. Does anyone know if that's actually going to happen? Where did they used to live? Where are they going to live now? I've heard Ash talk about it, but it's not like he can just decree "all the football players get to live in 5 star housing." Seems like something the President and even the trustees might have to approve.

I haven't lived in a Rutgers dorm since 1999, so I don't really know the lay of the land here in terms of the possibilities. Whatever effect it will have on recruiting will depend on what Ash can actually convince the University to do.

Like I said: skepticism. Not dismissiveness, but skepticism.
Don't you think it's embarrassing and somewhat deceitful that Flood deliberately did not show the dorms to recruits? I was a huge supporter till the last day and am still grateful for what he did but given all the new dorms I've seen at Rutgers, Ash did something about it and deserves credit. Hell, I've taken my kids on tours where the dorms flat out sucked but at least you knew what you were signing up for...

Don't you think it's embarrassing and somewhat deceitful that Flood deliberately did not show the dorms to recruits? I was a huge supporter till the last day and am still grateful for what he did but given all the new dorms I've seen at Rutgers, Ash did something about it and deserves credit. Hell, I've taken my kids on tours where the dorms flat out sucked but at least you knew what you were signing up for...

Absolutely. And to the best that I can recall JG seemed all set to commit until he saw the dorms.

So where will the players be living now? Anyone know? As of the last reports, it was all still being worked out.

In his first year, yes, Flood simply continued what Schiano did. But as the pressure for winning mounted, more and more of the foundation stuff eroded. The focus on academics, integrity, accountability - all that stuff eroded. Flood delegated a lot of things too. So, if a coach wasn't necessarily invested in the program, then the effort would show. Just think of all the coaches that have left. I know plenty of coaches left under Schiano too, but the difference was that Schiano was a micro manager instead of the "delegator" that was Flood. Also, I think what kept afloat many of the things Schiano did were his players who were still with the program. They self policed themselves during Flood's early years. Of course look what happened as those players graduated.

Last edited:
I just want to address a couple of points here.
The flood worshipers really need to give it a rest. He was fired, please let it go.
I don't agree with lectures, but to be fair nobody here mentioned flood but you... The whole "if you criticize Ash you must be a Flood lover" thing is getting super old super quick
woz hits the nail on the head. No one brought up Flood until you posted.
Beyond silly that free content from another site can't be linked. Get over yourself. The hubris on both sides is laughable.
I think you should go and start up your own site: obviously you have skills that John and Bobby and Shawn are lacking, so will be far more successful in providing Rutgers-centric content while being able to pay the bills.
I'm not sure why free news content from other sites can't be linked. We have links to news content from APP.com, NJ.com, ESPN.com, BleacherReport.com, Yahoo.com, FoxSports.com, etc. Are the moderators saying that sites like Rivals, Scout, 247, etc., aren't legitimate news organizations?
No, I believe the owners and writers of this site are saying that Scout and 24/7 are competitors. Rivals and Scout are associated with Yahoo and Fox respectively, and actually have press credentials. And in that vein, do you see CBS Sports linking ESPN articles on their site?
And this relates to woz's post above. There appears to be an intolerance on this site now in terms of questioning anything that the new coaching staff does. Whether you agree with LL or not, he is being crucified right now simply for not buying wholeheartedly into the new regime. That's the same intolerance we're seeing on Rutgers' campus now, where those with dissenting opinions are being shouted down. We should not embrace that methodology in our discussions here.

Reactions: RUwoz
I don't doubt Ash's sincerity and I'm impressed that he has a plan that touches on everything. Actually reminds me a little of the small details that Greg Schiano obsessed over (remember when the eggs were wrong!).

The 24 hour nutrition access is one of the things being provided to all student athletes, along with the stipends, across the Power Five. Rutgers is adding nutrition bars to numerous athletic facilities.

let's face it this board is a dumping grounds for everything negative from hot dogs, snow on the sidewalks to super bowl haft time--constructive criticism??? no way--some think they look better and smarter when they bitch

And this relates to woz's post above. There appears to be an intolerance on this site now in terms of questioning anything that the new coaching staff does. Whether you agree with LL or not, he is being crucified right now simply for not buying wholeheartedly into the new regime. That's the same intolerance we're seeing on Rutgers' campus now, where those with dissenting opinions are being shouted down. We should not embrace that methodology in our discussions here.

Oh, puhleez. The "intolerance" is no different than the ones being expressed when Flood was in charge and YOU were on the other side of the fence saying how we needed new fans.

The difference between then and now, is that back then folks were negative about things that were actually happening. Today we haven't lost a single game yet and people are already negative.

Nothing Levaos has said is wrong, per se. Although he did fail to back up his "quackery" claim. New management always has new ideas on how to improve culture. More often than not, they are different for the sake of being different. That said, there is reason for optimism right now because the changes Ash seems to be making do seem to be real improvements.

As for the board, nothing has changed. First Flood could do nothing right, and if you even suggested there was something that was not terrible, you were lit up. Now, nothing Ash does is wrong, and if you even suggest there is something that is less than perfect, you get lit up. On issues of coaching and regime change, this board is mob mentality at its finest.

Unfortunately, its beginning to permeate the basketball board as well, thanks to a handful of "dedicated" posters.

It's a small point but does anyone remember all the press the UConn BB player got talking about athletes going to bed hungry? Things like 24/7 snack bars available to these kids is an important added benefit that players, recruits and especially their parents will like.

It seems to me when you have a new administration the first thing you want to do is make it yours. Yes, many of these things are small changes but you have to look at it in it's entirety. It's as much psychological as anything.

It's a small point but does anyone remember all the press the UConn BB player got talking about athletes going to bed hungry? Things like 24/7 snack bars available to these kids is an important added benefit that players, recruits and especially their parents will like.

It seems to me when you have a new administration the first thing you want to do is make it yours. Yes, many of these things are small changes but you have to look at it in it's entirety. It's as much psychological as anything.

That kid lived off campus and wanted more spending money (supposedly for food). Although I guess the off campus athletes could drive (if they have a car) to the Athletic facility to eat when they want .

I just want to address a couple of points here.

woz hits the nail on the head. No one brought up Flood until you posted.

I think you should go and start up your own site: obviously you have skills that John and Bobby and Shawn are lacking, so will be far more successful in providing Rutgers-centric content while being able to pay the bills.

No, I believe the owners and writers of this site are saying that Scout and 24/7 are competitors. Rivals and Scout are associated with Yahoo and Fox respectively, and actually have press credentials. And in that vein, do you see CBS Sports linking ESPN articles on their site?
Spoken like a Flood lover. :p

Flood was asleep at the switch regarding many of the things Schiano implemented. He lost the accountability of many of the players. As can be seen by both the on field product and the off field issues. He was more interested in being their friend than being their mentor. He lost focus. Ash is bringing the accountability and focus back. This does not mean he does not have a good cop on staff but he will not be the good cop for these kids.

Reactions: RU5781
At this point

In the offseason? Recruiting results will impress me.
During the season? On field results will impress me.

I wish him every success in those endeavors.

Management speak doesn't impress me. That doesn't mean it won't work, that just means I've been there, done that and I'll wait to see. EVERY new boss rearranges the furniture, establishes new protocols, talks about changing the 'cutlure,' etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Some of you could do with a healthy dose of skepticism. It's the chiefest of human virtues.

Have to disagree with a simplistic categorization of what Ash is doing as just "Management speak".....

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions & to form (or not form) their own judgments - one of the hallmarks of having 'been there and done that' is that you begin to develop an ability to process what you are hearing - that you develop a basic ability to tell wheat from chaff - When some empty suit pseudo-expert is pontificating & full of fluff - it is obvious and you should recognize it , when some guy who is in over his head is spewing jargon and lip-syncing some familiar song - it has a discernible aroma & you smell it .... and when a genuine content expert shows up and displays a substantive command of the critical issues & a record of achievement - it should register... and if you have a basic grasp of the issues it should be recognizable.

It would seem to be abundantly clear that Ash not only "knows his stuff" - he also has & is implementing proven plans of action. I have no skepticism about his vision, his content expertise, his grasp of all of the nuances of constructing a first rate defense, his comprehensive work ethic, his insight and judgement in putting the right driving forces in place to build a new offense.

So will it all result in success at Rutgers? that will be the unknown - many many uncontrollables factor into to any coaching situation - but it is quite apparent that Ash is thinking and planning many steps ahead & is seeking to optimize all of the controllable factors.

Last edited:
All this time/effort/energy being devoted to trying to convince one poster to be less pessimistic...

If the dude can't find his Prozac, it's his(her?) problem.

Reactions: kupuna133
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT