ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Damian Weaver lost in the 3rd place match 3-2 in TB-1, but finishes 4th and punches his ticket to AC.

Delbarton brought 13 wrestlers to districts (no heavyweight.) 12 of them won their district and the other took 2nd.

All 13 wrestlers advanced to the finals of regions. This team is nuts.

Yay...Delbarton takes the best wrestlers from neighboring towns then turns around and thoroughly pummels those schools. Congrats to them. They should be proud.

Yay...Delbarton takes the best wrestlers from neighboring towns then turns around and thoroughly pummels those schools. Congrats to them. They should be proud.
If kids and parents decide this is the best destination for them why is that wrong?

Reactions: elvis7
If kids and parents decide this is the best destination for them why is that wrong?

It’s not the kids fault but it’s really unfair to the public schools to have their kids poached when it’s forbidden by NJSIAA rules but nothing is done about it. Happens across all sports and it’s really hurting high school sports in general. Private schools have become glorified travel teams.

It's wrong they recruit. It's wrong they give money to kids to attract them to attend. It's unfair they snare the best talent from local teams then turn around and compete against all the schools they took from in the same district and county. I'm all for development and what's best, but they should be pitted against similar schools who recruit and gain the upper hand with shady tactics. Congrats, they won the counties 12 or so times in a row, with an all star team. Remember when Delbarton was forced to play the other parochial powers in football and they cried like little babies, then refused to play St. Peter's Prep because they thought it was unfair?

It's wrong they recruit. It's wrong they give money to kids to attract them to attend. It's unfair they snare the best talent from local teams then turn around and compete against all the schools they took from in the same district and county. I'm all for development and what's best, but they should be pitted against similar schools who recruit and gain the upper hand with shady tactics. Congrats, they won the counties 12 or so times in a row, with an all star team. Remember when Delbarton was forced to play the other parochial powers in football and they cried like little babies, then refused to play St. Peter's Prep because they thought it was unfair?
Seems like sour grapes to me. But have at it big guy!

Reactions: elvis7 and TRU2RU
It’s not the kids fault but it’s really unfair to the public schools to have their kids poached when it’s forbidden by NJSIAA rules but nothing is done about it. Happens across all sports and it’s really hurting high school sports in general. Private schools have become glorified travel teams.
How has it hurt high school sports?

I agree with you in regards to duals and team titles but for the purpose of this part of this season, wrestling is an individual sport. A good wrestler is a good wrestler.

I have more of an issue with JoJo winning a NJ state title while living in PA than I do the NJ native kids at private schools.

Public school teams are watered down because their elite talent always gets scooped up and they have almost no chance at winning division, conference, or county titles.

Public school teams are watered down because their elite talent always gets scooped up and they have almost no chance at winning division, conference, or county titles.
So it’s accurate to say your contention is public school high school sports have been hurt? High school sports in general seem stronger than ever IMO.

So it’s accurate to say your contention is public school high school sports have been hurt? High school sports in general seem stronger than ever IMO.
You can interpret it however you want. When I evaluate the talent of a league/organization, I look for depth. NJ sports doesn’t really have that. It has a bunch of sports dominated by then Bergen, Delbarton, CBA and St Joes of the world and then there’s everyone else. If you call 4ish teams dominating most sports in a state with 500 high schools a good thing, then we simply disagree.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Recruit Recap

2020:

Clark 145 - D27 champ, R7 champ
O’Neil 170 - D6 champ, R2 champ
Poz 182 - D15 champ, R4 champ
Epperly 195 - D28 champ, R7 3rd Place
Shawver 126 - Sectional Champ

2021:

Oliveri - D10 champ, R3 champ
Weaver - D10 champ, R3 champ
Hamilton - National Prep Champ

Moving forward, Poz, Clark, and Olivieri will likely be the top seeds in AC. I imagine O’Neil will get the 2 behind Reitsma. Weaver probably ends up in the 3-5 range. Epperly around 15 I guess. Not entirely certain how Ohio runs their tournament in regards to Shawver but Kyonte’s father confirms that Kyonte will be heading to the national high school tournament at the end of March. I’d imagine Poz and O’Neil will be there as well.

Reactions: MS-RU
Seems like sour grapes to me. But have at it big guy!

More like a realistic viewpoint of the situation. And big guy? Really?

Creating disproportionate athletic advantages puts athletes at risk for higher injury, no? Back in the day Delbarton scrimmaged our freshman team in football. Their freshman team was bigger than our varsity team. Same goes for hockey and any other contact sport. Let them play in their own league against comparable teams. Oh wait, when they were forced to play other Catholic powerhouses, they put their tail between their legs and tried to retreat. Based on your premise, it would be ok to stick Alabama in the Big East and allow them to play football against Villanova year after year?

Last edited:
The big issue is that most sports still put the private schools in divisions with public teams. It becomes a waste of time for everybody. When Ranney basketball suddenly became the best team in the state via suspicious recruiting practices, they were in a division with a bunch of small public schools that weren’t traditionally good at basketball. Ranney had to play each division team twice and would beat them by 70 points. No one gains anything from that.

At least the people in charge of hockey had enough common sense to create the Gordon conference so these glorified junior teams beat each other up instead of routinely dominating public teams.

Moving forward, Poz, Clark, and Olivieri will likely be the top seeds in AC. I imagine O’Neil will get the 2 behind Reitsma. Weaver probably ends up in the 3-5 range. Epperly around 15 I guess. Not entirely certain how Ohio runs their tournament in regards to Shawver but Kyonte’s father confirms that Kyonte will be heading to the national high school tournament at the end of March. I’d imagine Poz and O’Neil will be there as well.

Poz is also wrestling in the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic which features PA vs the USA all-stars on March 14th. Aragona participated last year and won his matchup vs Jacob Ealy. Vulkah was also there but lost 3-2 to Cameron Amine.

Delbarton brought 13 wrestlers to districts (no heavyweight.) 12 of them won their district and the other took 2nd.

All 13 wrestlers advanced to the finals of regions. This team is nuts.
isn't billy ashnault the new coach ....it's no surprise then, that what they have achieved this year...one hell of a job.

isn't billy ashnault the new coach ....it's no surprise then, that what they have achieved this year...one hell of a job.
Billy Ashnault is at CBA. They’re not very good yet but have a pretty good freshman class.

Delbarton is coached by Bryan Stoll

98490626da33

HEAD WRESTLING COACH
Bryan Stoll
  • 13 Year Delbarton head coach, 172 wins, 54 losses
  • 8 conference championships
  • 8 District IX Championships
  • 9 Morris County Championships
  • Twice named coach of the year by the Daily Record and Star Ledger
  • Coached 7 State Champions

At the NCO, They are doing weigh ins now, as soon as they are done, they will probably populate the brackets.

Doors Open for Athletes: 7:00 am, Sunday March 1, 2020

Medical Check: 7:30 am, Sunday March 1, 2020

Weigh-in: 8:00, Sunday March 1, 2020

Awards: Top-6 place winners earn will be recognized as National Collegiate Open All-Americans and be provided with awards.

My mistake, Kanniard IS wrestling..

133: M. Robinson Rutgers vs M. Schleifer Princeton

133: S. Metzler Rutgers vs T. Lane Virginia

141: D. Britton Rutgers vs M. Laurie Sacred Heart

141: A. Gapas Rutgers vs winner of T. Dilley Lock Haven- A. Velesquez, Cal Baptist

157: J. Benner Rutgers vs J. Curling, Old Dom

157: C Harrison vs K. Budock, Old Do

165: R. Kanniard Rutgers vs J. Stefanowicz, Penn

Reactions: R U Crazy
Kanniard is at 165. It looks like he’s seeded 8th but the bracket is weird and seeds aren’t listed so I’m just assuming.

Based on the shapes of the bracket I think these are the seeds, feel free to correct:

133 - Robinson #1, Metzler #12
141 - Britton #1, Gapas #2
157 - Benner #8, Harrison #19
165 - Kanniard #8 (I feel he should be higher)

Actually now that I think about it, Kannaird might be the #25 seed in the 8/25 first round matchup because he hasn’t wrestled at 165 all year.

Tourney started...watching former RU Commit Heard from Lock haven on Mat 1....Benner is first RU wrestler in the hole mat 8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT