ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

I’m aware of the history. But they are losing 9 guys next year and we are bringing in the 3rd ranked recruiting class. It’s not an upgrade if you’re leaving for a school that can provide you with playing time when you’d be on the bench here.
And I will bet they bring in a better group of players to replace them next year than we do from the portal and have a better record than we do next season. No way to prove it yet. Time will tell.

Creighton seems like a perfect fit for him. He might not play majority minutes right away but I would expect him to do really well if he stays there a couple of years…and yes, it’s a pretty major upgrade.

I hear ya. But we are hearing that his beef was playing time. So why go to a place like creighton or those other schools listed. What makes him think he’d be guaranteed more minutes?

Reactions: RUinOhio
I hear ya. But we are hearing that his beef was playing time. So why go to a place like creighton or those other schools listed. What makes him think he’d be guaranteed more minutes?
My guess is people are in his ear saying he’s not the only one to blame for his poor performance this year and he needs a different program and coach to succeed. I think he is partially correct.

They also might be telling him that next year will be our version of the “Bernie and Ernie” show (for you old timers like me), and perhaps he’s not thrilled about that either.

I believe it’s less about playing time than people think. How can Pike be discouraging there when we only have 2 definite starters right now?

Reactions: RUDivision
My guess is people are in his ear saying he’s not the only one to blame for his poor performance this year and he needs a different program and coach to succeed. I think he is partially correct.

They also might be telling him that next year will be our version of the “Bernie and Ernie” show (for you old timers like me), and perhaps he’s not thrilled about that either.

I believe it’s less about playing time than people think. How can Pike be discouraging there when we only have 2 definite starters right now?

Solid points ^

Reactions: Mr Magoo

Pike isn’t being discouraging. He’s being upfront about what level recruit he’s after. He kept it mum last year until we announced commitments. It seemed it pissed a few guys off who then took off. He can’t afford that this time. So he’s probably being honest about the type of guys he’s after.

O
I didn’t say anything about NIL. Lower programs don’t have any to give and better programs won’t give him much.

But they will get more production from him. He’ll do very well on a team with functioning offense.

If you’re a top TE prospect would you go to Iowa or RU ? GG picked the wrong school.

exactly my thought....why blow another watching other players chuck. Ernie and Bernie made theirs.

Pike was probably honest and told him he was planning to bring in veteran competition from the portal and it's not only doubtful he'd be a starter, but his minutes would likely go down too. Richie's close to FutureCasting Martini, and if that happens he's leapfrogging GG for PT, plus there should be other transfers too. As many here have pointed out, next year is make or break for Pike, and it's pretty apparent they're going to swing for the fences in the portal, and any of those guys other than a C will cost Gavin minutes, they're not coming here to sit behind him

They might not be a “traditional powerhouse” that reloads every year but their program is certainly ahead of ours..regardless, it’s kind of amazing that a kid who was nearly a 5 star (we all know he was not), who’s strength was mostly offense came here instead of a place like Creighton or Iowa to begin with. Didn’t seem like a recipe for success.
He probably would have been more productive at Iowa or Creighton.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I don't mind if Pike recruits over GG or anyone else....and we will see who he brings in.

But Martini is not that. He's nowhere near as athletic as GG and in our offense (well actually our disorganized, futile front court play which shouldn't be confused with offense), he won't get any good looks either. He's a downgrade.

Pike was probably honest and told him he was planning to bring in veteran competition from the portal and it's not only doubtful he'd be a starter, but his minutes would likely go down too. Richie's close to FutureCasting Martini, and if that happens he's leapfrogging GG for PT, plus there should be other transfers too. As many here have pointed out, next year is make or break for Pike, and it's pretty apparent they're going to swing for the fences in the portal, and any of those guys other than a C will cost Gavin minutes, they're not coming here to sit behind him
I hope you’re right. I’m disappointed we lost him because I do see a lot of potential. However, potential becomes bullshit nowadays because realized potential just means the player is jumping ship to a better program. If the player can’t help immediately, he is of little value. It truly is all about today now.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
And I will bet they bring in a better group of players to replace them next year than we do from the portal and have a better record than we do next season. No way to prove it yet. Time will tell.

Maybe - but we have a +12 ppg returning player and two top 2 recruits already locked in as starters ahead of him. We also have a returning guard in J Mike who logged 23 mpg relative to his 17. That’s before tapping the portal.

Creighton has one returning starter. They return only one more kid who played meaningful minutes (less than JMike - about 21). So even if they hit 2 home runs in the portal they still have 2 more starter positions up for grabs. Creighton isn’t SMU - they don’t have unlimited portal fund to pay for 3 transfer starter locks let alone 4. No way. The most Gavin would be competing with there for the 5 / 6 man slots are the 3 incoming frosh, the kid who played 21 minutes and at best an Austin William’s type. That doesn’t mean Creighton won’t be good - but their unlikely to be deep without player development.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

Maybe. Maybe not. It’s not a knock on Creighton by the way, we’re likely a better team next year. But they’re not going anywhere over the long term. And they have absolutely had a better few decades than us (along with pretty much everyone else lol).

But Gavin did leave because he wasn’t going to start here and would be relegated to about 10 mins a game until his junior year - and honestly, I can’t blame him for wanting to get on the court, same reason everyone else left (except Cliff and Mag).

You can’t argue that. Creighton is a better program and McDermott is a great offensive coach. If the reports are correct, he’s leaving because he didn’t want competition for his spot. That’s the issue I have. Maybe it’s a bit of both. He saw an easier path to playing and has a chance at finding a better team that fits his skills. Either way, he’s not a big loss. He’s still a project and doesn’t want to compete.
Entitled little douche.

Reactions: RAS61
I wonder how JWill feels watching Iowa St Vs Illinois tonight knowing he was forced to leave both due to a bogus gambling scandal….and is probably the piece to get either over the hump for the final 4

I wonder how Gavin will feel next year when Rutgers makes a deep tournament run…a run that Gavin could have been a part of but he wasn’t willing to put the work in to earn his minutes and role.

Maybe you can come back next year and let us know?

I wonder how Gavin will feel next year when Rutgers makes a deep tournament run…a run that Gavin could have been a part of but he wasn’t willing to put the work in to earn his minutes and role.

Lol why is everyone so hostile? All I did was make sense about why he should leave…jeeeez guys

Ha ha. Deep Tournament run. What a great year next year will be. A deep tournament run after Schiano’s team makes the CFP and Wimsatt wins the Heisman. Some people just have no clue whatsoever.

Lol why is everyone so hostile? All I did was make sense about why he should leave…jeeeez guys

You joined a week ago and have pretty much only smugly posted about Gavin.

Most of us are disappointed to see him go because we all see that stroke and his potential - but I think many of us are more disappointed to find out he’s a quitter.

This isn’t a fan base that cares for quitters nor excuses. It’s the reason Aiden Terry gets his name chanted at games despite not having a single meaningful minute in 4 years. The reason Noah Fernandes got a standing O midway through a game. And the reason guys like Caleb McConnell, Geo, Ron and Oskar are legends.

You ought to know what Jersey is like by now. You come join us? Great, you're one of us. But then the same guy walks out on us, something he publicly said you would never do, even though the staff and fanbase would like him to stay, and you expect a warm welcome? As if.

Creighton will be fine long term and I bet fine next year. . I cannot believe this is an argument based on results. I have zero doubt McDermott brings in top portal players

Creighton will be fine long term and I bet fine next year. . I cannot believe this is an argument based on results. I have zero doubt McDermott brings in top portal players
They’ve had plenty of blah years.

Next season he won’t bring in more than 3 top tier portal recruits at most because no teams ever do outside of the true blue bloods occasionally. Creighton wont. The have one starter and a 20 min 5ish ppg returner. That’s it. After that all 9 mpg guys or less. And 3 frosh recruits coming in. So even if they bring in 3 portal studs, it’d just them and the 1 returning starter clearly in front of him.

10 out of 14 (including covid) to ncaa doesn't sound blah. Remember a big transition from mid major to power 6 in all this time

I don't mind if Pike recruits over GG or anyone else....and we will see who he brings in.

But Martini is not that. He's nowhere near as athletic as GG and in our offense (well actually our disorganized, futile front court play which shouldn't be confused with offense), he won't get any good looks either. He's a downgrade.
I am not excited about this Martini kid either. I think RU should have higher expectations.

10 out of 14 (including covid) to ncaa doesn't sound blah. Remember a big transition from mid major to power 6 in all this time
They’ve done it with a lot of multi-year program kids who are all rolling off this season except a Alexander who will be a senior. A transfer or two filtered in each year. Bringing in 4 stud transfers a year is not their MO so I’ll stick with my guns in saying that probably doesn’t happen. They will bring in a few higher end transfers and some program kids with the hope that a couple develop /step up to complement Alexander. There’s a huge opportunity set there for a shooter coming off a rough year to step up.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Not trying to be hostile at all, was just making a genuine request if you could report back to us next year.

You also sound pretty sensitive / soft.
You seem sensitive and soft…mad at an 18 year old for doing what 1000 other D1 ballers are doing right now

And just be realistic this is college bball now every offseason going forward we will be lucky to keep 5 guys on the roster like everyone else

And in GGs case…No shooter wants to play somewhere where no plays are ran to get open shots literally the entire season…it’s not rocket science….get out of your feelings

You seem sensitive and soft…mad at an 18 year old for doing what 1000 other D1 ballers are doing right now

And just be realistic this is college bball now every offseason going forward we will be lucky to keep 5 guys on the roster like everyone else

And in GGs case…No shooter wants to play somewhere where no plays are ran to get open shots literally the entire season…it’s not rocket science….get out of your feelings

Not even close to being mad my guy. I actually think it’s both funny and pathetic that he’s ditching the program and couldn’t hack it here.

As far as open shots - Gavin had plenty of those this season and wasn’t very good at making them. He also struggled big time from the line (unless you think those aren’t open shots).

He had a tough freshman year that didn’t pan out like most thought it would - and that’s okay. He was over ranked in high school and just not mentally or physically ready for the college game. It happens to a lot of kids.

He should have been grateful to get 18 mpg for as bad as he played for most of the season. Most programs wouldn’t have given him that opportunity based on his play.

I just hope he (and his family) realize a change of scenery isn’t going to magically change things. That’s the easy move. The hard part is putting the work in the weight room, having patience and working on his craft. That all could have happened here at Rutgers but he turned his back on the program and will have to make it work elsewhere.

And let’s stop with the “we” talk. We all know you’re connected to Gavin…you blew your cover my guy.

What universe do you live in that you dont think these teams are upgrades over Rutgers right now?

They have won and been consistent...even sniffed the top 25 and made runs in the NCAAs.
Like I said , and it's my opinion ,if you are a season ticket holder, ( I doubt it) and have no faith in RU give up your tickets. Those that constantly repeat similiar posts that show a lack of respect or confidence in RU should go bye bye. You're just a hater-- root for someone else that would appreciate your negativity If they exist.

I am not excited about this Martini kid either. I think RU should have higher expectations.
I’m a little concerned about his consistency… Although he shot 38% from 3 this season, in 8 games over the course of the season he shot a combined 32 for 53 from 3, for 60%, and in the other 21 games, he shot a combined 28 for 106, for 26%… In 9 of Princeton’s last 14 games he shot 25% or below from 3 for the game.. I don’t know how many of his not so good games were due to the opponent’s defense.

Oooo. Serious accusations. Inside info I suppose. All good. Tell your boy to loose the pouting routine at his next stop. Also, maybe show your part of the team by going down the line when you come out like the rest of the team does… yea, I sit there, I saw it. Later.

Oooo. Serious accusations. Inside info I suppose. All good. Tell your boy to loose the pouting routine at his next stop. Also, maybe show your part of the team by going down the line when you come out like the rest of the team does… yea, I sit there, I saw it. Later.
This, plus your “elite shooter” arrived at Rutgers without knowing how to play any defense or shoot free throws. Not sure whose fault that is but I would take a look in the mirror instead of blaming Pikiell.

Senior leadership in addition to shooting ability at the 4. He’s a good fit. Wonder if we have a shot with the C from Yale.
Hope you're right. While I was disappointed Griffiths is transferring, in this environment, you know what, maybe it's best for Rutgers and Gavin. Gavin gave us no indication he should be on floor with Ace and Dylan. So Rutgers no doubt is recruiting over him in portal in today's 1-year mercenary college ball. As things stand now, you just play for the moment. Development means nothing with portal nowadays. So Rutgers just needs to put the absolute best on floor with Ace/Dylan next year. That's not Gavin, so I think it's best all around, at least in today's college basketball environment.

Hope you're right. While I was disappointed Griffiths is transferring, in this environment, you know what, maybe it's best for Rutgers and Gavin. Gavin gave us no indication he should be on floor with Ace and Dylan. So Rutgers no doubt is recruiting over him in portal in today's 1-year mercenary college ball. As things stand now, you just play for the moment. Development means nothing with portal nowadays. So Rutgers just needs to put the absolute best on floor with Ace/Dylan next year. That's not Gavin, so I think it's best all around, at least in today's college basketball environment.

I think GG is mostly a 3 - so he was already recruited over with Ace projected to start at the 3. Gavin isn’t fast nor crafty enough for the 1 or 2 and not strong enough for the 4.

That’s odd because I remember almost every time we had a BLOB and Gavin was in they called a play for him.

I also remember him airballing a good amount of those.

Seems like a place with a lot more room to play his way into a starting role.

They have one incoming frosh recruit ranked way lower than Gavin. Two graduating seniors who started. Three reserve players in the portal. I’m sure they will pick up a few more pieces in the portal, but still likely to be an easier path there to more PT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT