ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

He probably thought he had to shoot at the first touch on a possession because he knew he would never see the ball again in that possession. Our guards were selfish, Mag was selfish and Cliff held onto the ball too long.
Gavin rarely got open looks.
None of us can say what Gavin's thoughts and motivations will be but if I had to bet on it, I believe he will turn out to be a 15-20 point a game scorer at some major conference school.
He took more shots than everyone except Simpson and Cliff (many of which were putback attempts). In only 17 minutes of play! So many damn excuses for this kid. Please - he didn’t have a good frosh season. Why can’t it end there? Even if he does better next year - that doesn’t mean anything. Players improved. He was not playable most of the season. How he does in the future won’t change that.

He probably thought he had to shoot at the first touch on a possession because he knew he would never see the ball again in that possession. Our guards were selfish, Mag was selfish and Cliff held onto the ball too long.
Gavin rarely got open looks.
None of us can say what Gavin's thoughts and motivations will be but if I had to bet on it, I believe he will turn out to be a 15-20 point a game scorer at some major conference school.

In any team sport you have to gain the confidence of your teammates - even more true if you are the new guy / freshman. You gain that confidence through hard work, leading by example and execution. If what you say is true in terms of him just hoisting it up because he was insecure about not seeing the ball again in a possession - that would make him even more selfish than the guards you are referencing.

It's much more likely that this was not about selfishness - rather our guards were just ineffective at running an offense and Gavin was inefficient in his shot execution. This does not mean he will not mature and develop into a good / great player. Development for different people happens at different rates.

If Gavin shot better than 32% he would have had a lot more passes and plays run for him. You have to have your head examined if you feed a guy shooting that poorly more? Was he, his family, or any of his defenders here complaining after the BU game?

Last edited:
People are saying he didn't get open shots, whole time I thought he was the type of player that can create his own shot. I'm thinking the coaches thought that as well, I don't know what they were seeing in practice but his ball handling and one on one moves are not what I was expecting. Thought he would be more than a spot up shooter.

People are saying he didn't get open shots, whole time I thought he was the type of player that can create his own shot. I'm thinking the coaches thought that as well, I don't know what they were seeing in practice but his ball handling and one on one moves are not what I was expecting. Thought he would be more than a spot up shooter.
and don't forget he only shot 60% from the foul line!!

and don't forget he only shot 60% from the foul line!!
Excellent point. Can’t blame low free throw % on teammates, coach’s offensive system, or Gavin’s free throw attempts being more difficult than others’ free throw attempts.

You could tell just by watching Gavin he looked out of place. Both physically and by the mental mistakes he was making.

I don't doubt that he could be a really good player in year 2 or 3. But this is college basketball in 2024. Players are not sticking around on teams to develop for 2 years+.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
You could tell just by watching Gavin he looked out of place. Both physically and by the mental mistakes he was making.

I don't doubt that he could be a really good player in year 2 or 3. But this is college basketball in 2024. Players are not sticking around on teams to develop for 2 years+.
as I've said, if our incoming portal transfers prove better than who we lose, I'm all for it. GG, Cliff, whoever. But until we get someone better, which Martini is not if he comes, this is going to continue to sting.

Martini benefitted from precision offense and willing passers at guard. We've heard multiple TV announcers say it during our games: "RU isn't running any kind of offense". GG had nothing to do with that or a below 300 offense. The guards and/or Pike did.

Reactions: coldsprings
If he was so bad why did no one on the message board agree when I said he shouldn't have been in the rotation?
People thought he needed to play his way out of a slump in tot he player his recruiting rank projected him to be. Maybe he becomes that one day but it’s not where he was this past season. It’s ridiculous for anyone to suggest otherwise. It’s also ridiculous to pencil him in as a future star. Not every recruit pans out. Maybe he will, but it’s not a lock either way.

Reactions: BossNJ
Gavin will be fine at Providence
I agree. He made great strides late imo. Got some confidence going. Big East isn’t as physical as the big ten (still a very good conference) so I think it’s probably a better fit. Players tend to make a leap from freshman to sophomore seasons. A lot of his problems were lack of maturity and lack of experience at a higher level. I think he’s going to end up being good. Maybe very good. I am disappointed he didn’t stick around. That’s said we have a lot to look forward to. Dylan is going to be by far the best freshman we’ve seen here in many people’s lifetimes.

Providence guard and Big East player of the year Devin Carter announced today he is entering NBA draft.

Gavin’s opportunity at Providence looking even more promising than it did only a few hours ago. Lots of minutes and shots waiting Gavin next season.

Don’t underestimate being closer to home AND a girlfriend. Just sayin. He looked pretty miserable most of the year…basketball not withstanding

Reactions: rubigtimenow
as I've said, if our incoming portal transfers prove better than who we lose, I'm all for it. GG, Cliff, whoever. But until we get someone better, which Martini is not if he comes, this is going to continue to sting.

Martini benefitted from precision offense and willing passers at guard. We've heard multiple TV announcers say it during our games: "RU isn't running any kind of offense". GG had nothing to do with that or a below 300 offense. The guards and/or Pike did.
First off, Martini is 6'-7" and is a 4 at best, not a 5, and is a major upgrade over Mag who was moody to the point of refusing to play - although I bet you'll still argue a player that won't step on the floor is better

Acuff is light years better than Gavin, it's a joke to even think otherwise, but...

I'm new to this board but have come to the quick realization you're either a hater, a troll, or both. I'll try to avoid your posts in the future

Based upon what ?
Based upon having a longer leash, being in a program that doesn't require D to stay on the court, given all that he learned on D this year, being on a team that may accept him more, being on a team with guards that may pass to him.

The Boston game did happen, although that was a LONG LONG LONG time ago.

Reactions: Shelby65
First off, Martini is 6'-7" and is a 4 at best, not a 5, and is a major upgrade over Mag who was moody to the point of refusing to play - although I bet you'll still argue a player that won't step on the floor is better

Acuff is light years better than Gavin, it's a joke to even think otherwise, but...

I'm new to this board but have come to the quick realization you're either a hater, a troll, or both. I'll try to avoid your posts in the future
Who said Martini is a 5 ? Nobody. Pay attention: Martini would fill a different role than Mag so you're already off course. Martini is supposedly a great shooter, some say an upgrade over GG. False for two reasons. 1) He's not remotely athletic and 2) he will not get the wide open jump shots he got in the surgical Princeton offense.

Your Acuff / GG comparison also fails. Acuff isn't a 3. And you have no idea if he'll be good.

Plain and simple for you....you can't compare players in different systems or leagues based on stats or highlights. Only idiots think you can....but sure, keep on thinking that you can.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
you said he is Jaden Jones , if he lands at Providence than you did not call it
I didn't mean he was going to quit playing college basketball. But the rest of it is pretty damn spot on. Btw if NIL existed with Jaden Jones he'd have ended up somewhere. Or maybe Jones' dad is 20% crazier than Griffiths' and that's the difference

I agree. He made great strides late imo. Got some confidence going. Big East isn’t as physical as the big ten (still a very good conference) so I think it’s probably a better fit. Players tend to make a leap from freshman to sophomore seasons. A lot of his problems were lack of maturity and lack of experience at a higher level. I think he’s going to end up being good. Maybe very good. I am disappointed he didn’t stick around. That’s said we have a lot to look forward to. Dylan is going to be by far the best freshman we’ve seen here in many people’s lifetimes.

Did he really make “great strides” or was he simply not playing “as awful” as before? Yes, I understand he had two games where he hit a bunch of three pointers but sandwiched between those games was another 1-5 game from deep on 2 of 10 total shooting.

More talented and performing better are not the same thing. At the time, Oskar had better season statistics. He was not worse on defense. That meets the definition of performing better.
The fact that late in season this was even a debate is sad in itself. Very disappointing season for GG.

Because there was no one to replace him, and for some ridiculous reason you thought Oscar was better.
Hyatt,oskar, awill all had more minutes to take.

We are a program that has an identity that rebounds, plays defense and wins 50/50. To hand a guy minutes who was deficient in all 3 and was afraid of contact sent a terrible message.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
From his very first B1G game it was evident Gavin was lacking in the strength department. Timidity plagued him for most of the year. Inability to control the ball in the offense and looked so out of touch. Wish the “ kid” luck and stay healthy.

From his very first B1G game it was evident Gavin was lacking in the strength department. Timidity plagued him for most of the year. Inability to control the ball in the offense and looked so out of touch. Wish the “ kid” luck and stay healthy.
Strength has nothing to do with it.

Did he really make “great strides” or was he simply not playing “as awful” as before? Yes, I understand he had two games where he hit a bunch of three pointers but sandwiched between those games was another 1-5 game from deep on 2 of 10 total shooting.
Imo he did. We could call it a different adjective I suppose but he did a lot of things better not just shooting. He defended better, rebounded better, shared the ball. He was playing with confidence. Now that is coming from truly terrible to your point and he wasn’t a superstar by any stretch but I saw a lot of growth and I see a ton of potential. To me the main problems were immaturity and adjusting to very high level college bball.

Who said Martini is a 5 ? Nobody. Pay attention: Martini would fill a different role than Mag so you're already off course. Martini is supposedly a great shooter, some say an upgrade over GG. False for two reasons. 1) He's not remotely athletic and 2) he will not get the wide open jump shots he got in the surgical Princeton offense.

Your Acuff / GG comparison also fails. Acuff isn't a 3. And you have no idea if he'll be good.

Plain and simple for you....you can't compare players in different systems or leagues based on stats or highlights. Only idiots think you can....but sure, keep on thinking that you can.
Agreed. Martini is a marginal upgrade at best. Not sure why anyone's that excited over this possible get. I agree about the athleticism part too.

Strength has nothing to do with it.
Strength has a great deal to do with it. It made him an easy mark in many games. Pushed , shoved off balance. At this level you need a combination of many things. If strength was not an issue why does EVERY program have a strength , conditioning and even a dietician on their staffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT