ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

That’s correct. He may be listed as a PG but he is did not play the point for his high school team. Isiah Brown, soon to be teammate of Chol is a pure point and played that position on Dylan’s team. Dylan is a go to scorer. That’s his role and will be his role at Rutgers too first and foremost. He’s a good enough ball handler to run the point if he had to, I’m sure, but he’s not being brought here to be an elite passer nor is that what his scouting report focuses on. His job is to score. Sometimes he may bring the ball up and create for himself.
His performance last night emphatically says otherwise.

Reactions: soundcrib
Strength has a great deal to do with it. It made him an easy mark in many games. Pushed , shoved off balance. At this level you need a combination of many things. If strength was not an issue why does EVERY program have a strength , conditioning and even a dietician on their staffs.
It depends. Tell me how strong the Murray twins on Iowa were. the freshman Christie on Minnesota who beat us. Or Ace Bailey lol.

In our misguided offense with usually 3 guards, all shorter than 6’4”, Gavin had to be a good rebounder for us. Especially when Cliff was not in the game, or was in the game but was completely out of position, which was a lot.

So, he did get pushed around but again that’s due to roster fail.

GG on a team as a 3 with a solid 4 and 5 would not have stood out as a poor rebounder.

You heard it here first: in a 3 guard offense Ace will get abused on the boards next year.

It depends. Tell me how strong the Murray twins on Iowa were. the freshman Christie on Minnesota who beat us. Or Ace Bailey lol.

In our misguided offense with usually 3 guards, all shorter than 6’4”, Gavin had to be a good rebounder for us. Especially when Cliff was not in the game, or was in the game but was completely out of position, which was a lot.

GG on a team as a 3 with a solid 4 and 5 would not have stood out as a poor rebounder.
👍 i was also going to point out Bailey but was worried I would get mauled by rabid posters lol. But it's the truth.

You heard it here first: in a 3 guard offense Ace will get abused on the boards next year.
But isn’t the problem GG sees him self as a 2 guard lol

Did he really make “great strides” or was he simply not playing “as awful” as before? Yes, I understand he had two games where he hit a bunch of three pointers but sandwiched between those games was another 1-5 game from deep on 2 of 10 total shooting.
Seemed like his progress was made in what some would call "garbage time" games where the season goals were essentially over for RU.

Jaden Jones vibes? I dont recall Jaden getting getting major minutes in the last few games of the year scoring points

I don’t know how much stock can really be put in that. The team had checked out. We were mostly non-competitive with all double digit losses. Yes, Gavin had 2 games in that mix where he hit a bunch of 3s. But sandwiched in between those two games was also a horrific 2-10 / 1-5 performance.

His performance last night emphatically says otherwise.

No not really. He looked fantastic. But that doesn’t mean that over the course of a season he wont produce more points and be more efficient in the halfcourt sets with someone else responsible for feeding him the ball.

Remember - just because a player projects to be an NBA PG does not mean their HS and college teams who are otherwise not surrounded by 4 other future NBA caliber playmakers on the court are best off with that kid running the point as opposed to someone else who can execute running plays for them. We’ll see.

But isn’t the problem GG sees him self as a 2 guard lol
point is, his strength would have nothing to do with his positional rebounding ability if the team had a legit 4 or a consistent 5. Wolf was virtually unplayable on both ends and Cliff was usually lost on REB opportunities. So we blame GG for poor team rebounding ?

Last edited:
point is, his strength would have nothing to do with his positional ability if the team had a legit 4 or a consistent 5. Wolf was virtually unplayable on both ends and Cliff was usually lost on REB opportunities.

Cliff is one of the top prospects in the portal. Say what? If our guard play and lack of shooters hurt anyone it was definitely Cliff. With no perimeter threats teams clogged up the paint on D. Cliff’s bad year was a result of that - evident by worse performance than other years by him.

So in summary, it’s really the exact opposite of what you’ve been saying. Teams were daring us to shoot over and over again. The issue wasn’t about open looks. They wanted us to shoot because we were so bad at it collectively as a team They stacked the box and dared us to shoot from the outside often.

He’s had exactly two players who were considered “top talent” in recruiting rankings. Cliff I would consider to be both developed and retained. So he’s 1 for 2 at worst. And if Gavin never pans out anywhere that would be 1 for 1

And to be fair, Cliff was a big project. He wasn’t a basketball player when he arrived.

Cliff is one of the top prospects in the portal. Say what? If our guard play and lack of shooters hurt anyone it was definitely Cliff. With no perimeter threats teams clogged up the paint on D. Cliff’s bad year was a result of that - evident by worse performance than other years by him.

So in summary, it’s really the exact opposite of what you’ve been saying. Teams were daring us to shoot over and over again. The issue wasn’t about open looks. They wanted us to shoot because we were so bad at it collectively as a team They stacked the box and dared us to shoot from the outside often.
Cliff's freak athleticism is why so many teams are intrigued. Pretty much no big guy is as athletic as him. That doesn't make him a great baller though.

You must be fun at parties

More talented and performing better are not the same thing. At the time, Oskar had better season statistics. He was not worse on defense. That meets the definition of performing better.
Oscar's tied hard I will give him that, but he defense was no better. It was better in the long run to give a freshman the time to develop than a 5th year senior who is not getting any better.

Cliff's freak athleticism is why so many teams are intrigued. Pretty much no big guy is as athletic as him. That doesn't make him a great baller though.
I said recently, CO is the greatest waste of athleticism of all time. He’d be the most athletic NBA big man if only he could catch, pass, dribble or shoot. But he can’t do any of those things even at the HS varsity level.

Not really. Once Cliff got the ball it never came back out. But yes, other teams let our guards lose games for us. Again, GG wasn’t the reason the O was near the bottom of 350 D1 teams.

Not really. Once Cliff got the ball it never came back out. But yes, other teams let our guards lose games for us. Again, GG wasn’t the reason the O was near the bottom of 350 D1 teams.

Nobody said Gavin was the only reason our offense was bad. How could he be when he only played 17 mpg? The point is, no team guarded us tightly on the perimeter. They wanted us to shoot from the outside because we rarely made it. That included when Gavin had the ball. The game plan against us was to make things hard inside for Cliff, Mag, Hyatt, etc. in the paint because on average, that was our best chance of scoring. So once again - your theory that Gavin never got any open looks just isnt true. Everyone got there share of open looks on our team. They just didn’t knock them down at an efficient rate.

We were a horrific shooting team in all aspects except dunks. That should not be the case for the 24/25 Rutgers team.

Not theory. Guard play sucked so it’s unfair to judge the other players. And it’s not true he got open looks. The only open looks he got were from 30+.

He got nothing uncontested around the arc. Never once. Other teams get its shooters wide open uncontested shots a few times a game. GG never got that.

No not really. He looked fantastic. But that doesn’t mean that over the course of a season he wont produce more points and be more efficient in the halfcourt sets with someone else responsible for feeding him the ball.

Remember - just because a player projects to be an NBA PG does not mean their HS and college teams who are otherwise not surrounded by 4 other future NBA caliber playmakers on the court are best off with that kid running the point as opposed to someone else who can execute running plays for them. We’ll see.
To add

1. We have a PG already
2. It would be an inefficient use of his talent
3. He would be asked to be a primary ball handler, run the offense, play defense and score. Too much on a freshman plate

Oscar's tied hard I will give him that, but he defense was no better. It was better in the long run to give a freshman the time to develop than a 5th year senior who is not getting any better.
Oskar played tough, gave up his body, and was a better defender.

We were better with Oskar on the floor.

To add

1. We have a PG already
3. He would be asked to be a primary ball handler, run the offense, play defense and score. Too much on a freshman plate

Steph Curry’s collegiate path demonstrates the point well. Davidson was a better team his junior year when Steph played off ball.

Also - whether Dylan plays more on or off ball next season will have no bearing one way or the other on his NBA trajectory. He doesn’t need to prove to scouts that he can handle the rock as a primary ball handler. The scouting report already says he has the handling skills.

To add

1. We have a PG already
Really? Who might that be?

Steph Curry’s collegiate path demonstrates the point well. Davidson was a better team his junior year when Steph played off ball.

Also - whether Dylan plays more on or off ball next season will have no bearing one way or the other on his NBA trajectory. He doesn’t need to prove to scouts that he can handle the rock as a primary ball handler. The scouting report already says he has the handling skills.
I am guessing multiple people will start the offense. If I’m playing ru next year my best defender is on Dylan denying him the ball at least early in the shot clock. Once he gets it I expect a lot of pick and roll or with someone that can shoot pick and pop. It’s going to be very interesting. I am hoping Bailey doesn’t force things to much and lets it come to him.

Davidson had an NBA-(bench)caliber point guard (pre a career ending injury) that year who led the NCAA in assists and had 13 assists and zero turnovers against Wisconsin in the Sweet 16.

If you were playing as Rutgers in a video game and every player had an energy bar over their name and everytime a player had to bring the ball up and the opposing guard applied 3/4 pressure the energy would go down a little. Would you have Dylan as the primary PG or Jwill?

You can't change game settings and toggle off fatigue.

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
The thinking that one or the other should be the primary ball distributor is limiting the abilities of those two players. Creativity …specifically from this caliber of athlete would be counterproductive directly impacting those other significant parts who will be surrounding Dylan. JW, Ace . We need multiple good ball handlers .

Reactions: bethlehemfan

Pretty sure both Murray twins were like 20 lbs thicker than Gavin. He mostly, until the end of the year, played as one of the three guards when he was out there.
He got much better on the boards as he got comfortable. Better on the boards than he got defensively. He'll be fine on the boards going forward.
I'm firmly in the camp that many of Gavin's issues this year were Gavin, no one was helped by the lack of talent around them, and I wish Gavin was returning despite how bad he was this year. He will be better.

Davidson had an NBA-(bench)caliber point guard (pre a career ending injury) that year who led the NCAA in assists and had 13 assists and zero turnovers against Wisconsin in the Sweet 16.

Of course he had a ton of assists. He was feeding Steph Curry in the Southern Conference.

Your suggestion that Jason Richards was an NBA caliber PG with far superior skills to J Will is laughable. He went undrafted and then got an opportunity to play in the G league, but come on man. Compare Jeremiah’s time at Temple to Richard’s frosh and sophomore years. Richards rode the bench as a frosh and played 15 mpg as a sophomore. To say there’s no way Jeremiah can have the same success with kids like Dylan and Ace to feed the ball to makes no sense.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nobody said Gavin was the only reason our offense was bad. How could he be when he only played 17 mpg? The point is, no team guarded us tightly on the perimeter. They wanted us to shoot from the outside because we rarely made it. That included when Gavin had the ball. The game plan against us was to make things hard inside for Cliff, Mag, Hyatt, etc. in the paint because on average, that was our best chance of scoring. So once again - your theory that Gavin never got any open looks just isnt true. Everyone got there share of open looks on our team. They just didn’t knock them down at an efficient rate.
Here's an interesting stat, kind of off topic, kind of not:

The five man lineup that played to the highest offensive rating was Noah, Simpson, Gavin, Hyatt, and Cliff. Only 49 minutes together, but played to an offensive rating of 118.3, also a defensive rating of 97.8. The Efg% while this group was on the floor was 53% The group didn't really rebound well.

Compare to the most used JWill lineup - JWill, Simpson, Davis, Hyatt, and Cliff. 69 minutes together. 111 offensive rating, 106.2 defensive rating, 47.6 Efg%. Their rebounding was actually worse than first group.

Most used lineup total - Simpson, A Will, Hyatt, Mag, Cliff - 77 minutes - 105 offensive rating, 100.6 defensive rating, 48.3 Efg%. Even worse rebounding.

They are all small sample sizes, but kind of tells me that spreading the court out a bit more often would have benefitted this team.

Reactions: bac2therac
Of course he had a ton of assists. He was feeding Steph Curry in the Southern Conference.

Your suggestion that Jason Richards was an NBA caliber PG with far superior skills to J Will is laughable. He went undrafted and then got an opportunity to play in the G league, but come on man. Compare Jeremiah’s time at Temple to Richard’s frosh and sophomore years. Richards rode the bench as a frosh and played 15 mpg as a sophomore. To say there’s no way Jeremiah can have the same success with kids like Dylan and Ace to feed the ball to makes no sense.
I didn't suggest anything. I was stating a fact. But if you're asking me directly IMO was Jason Richards a better point guard than JWill - I mean.... no question. And I like JWill. And that's from watching both not "googling."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT