ADVERTISEMENT

Sad News Regarding Brian Sheridan

Terrible news. My best to his family. I will tell you, there was a play at the end of the Army game, in RU's winless season, when Army was basically running into the line to kill clock and end the game, where BS timed and dove to make a hit a knock ball loose to get RU the ball back and have a shot to pass with Mike McMahon. I have been trying to find that clip, it was the signal coolest play I ever saw.

I keep hoping that this story is not correct. It is hard to believe that there still is no official announcement either way.

Way too young if true. Brian will always hold a special place in our history not just because of his stats, but because he took a leap of faith and committed here when he had many options. He played the game the right way. True Scarlet Knight, true Jersey guy.

Huge Graber recruit. Spurned blue bloods. Class act, this one hurts. RIP BS.

Very sad news. He was a terrific player and seemed like a good ambassador for the program as well.

He was the NJ Gatorade Player of the year and came to RU and was a star. He was someone I hoped would come back and coach at RU someday. I never met him but seems like an Irish blessing is in order.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. And rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

My heart aches right now. The type of man any father would feel blessed to call son-in-law.

I was a sports writer at The Daily Journal in Elizabeth from Sept. 1987 until Jan. 1992, when the newspaper closed. I had the pleasure of watching Sheridan at Union H.S. during the 1991 season. The Farmers were loaded that year, and the following year as well.

I remember being so happy when he chose to attend RU.

Here's an article from 2007, when the Giants selected Sheridan as "The Lou Rettino High School Football Coach of the Week" for the week of 10/15/07.

https://www.giants.com/news/giants-name-union-s-sheridan-coach-of-the-week-for-week-5-5116741

R.I.P. Brian

Last edited:
Been digging. There is no public mention of him being ill but I found a recent photo of him and he does not look healthy.

Horrible, horrible shame as he looked downright athletic at the beginning of the year.

I hate cancer.

The picture from the earlier article, posted above your comment, is not Brian. It’s the school’s AD.

RIP. Whatta shame. Palm Beach Post stated it was cancer. Wish we’d find a cure for cancer.

The picture from the earlier article, posted above your comment, is not Brian. It’s the school’s AD.

Yeah, that's not the photo I was referencing. I was digging around in his Twitter feed and there are pics of him from the end of last year/ early this year where he looks in great shape.

Whatever form it took it was fast.

My heart aches right now. The type of man any father would feel blessed to call son-in-law.

I was a sports writer at The Daily Journal in Elizabeth from Sept. 1987 until Jan. 1992, when the newspaper closed. I had the pleasure of watching Sheridan at Union H.S. during the 1991 season. The Farmers were loaded that year, and the following year as well.

I remember being so happy when he chose to attend RU.

Here's an article from 2007, when the Giants selected Sheridan as "The Lou Rettino High School Football Coach of the Week" for the week of 10/15/07.

https://www.giants.com/news/giants-name-union-s-sheridan-coach-of-the-week-for-week-5-5116741

R.I.P. Brian
I must have read your articles often aa i was a regular reader of the Journal. As for Sheridan he was a beast as the fullback in that Union Wing T. R.I.P. Cancer took both him and

Sad news. A true scarlet knight Read through his bios today. He was a Rutgers great and will be deeply missed. So sad

I must have read your articles often aa i was a regular reader of the Journal. As for Sheridan he was a beast as the fullback in that Union Wing T. R.I.P. Cancer took both him and
It was my first job after graduating from RU in May '87. Union County was loaded with outstanding high school sports teams and players in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a blast covering so much young talent.

When the paper closed in Jan. '92, I chose to get out of the journalism business and start a career in publishing. My good friend, Gary Potosky, who I graduated with at RU and worked with at TDJ, chose to remain in the business. He is now the sports editor of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Sad news, my condolences to Brian's family and all that knew and cared for him.

RIP Brian.
A true Scarlet Knight.
Saw him play many games.
Remember down in the Orange Bowl the Miami players were asking why didn’t take our offer and play for the Canes ? Brian said he is a Rutgers guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT