ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano on Tennessee short list

Greg is too Father Flanagan for a G'Ole Boy school down there. Is Tenn crowd into academics and "doing things the right way" and all that stuff GS is into? I doubt it. Greg's best job would actually be ND.

Last edited:
Fact: Schiano took the worst team in FBS and turned it into the 2006 team - the Pandemonium in Piscataway. They were the best team in Rutgers history and one of the best teams in the country. That makes him a great coach. Nobody else could or did do that. Flood's first year success was a result of what Schiano built, which was unsustainable going forward without him. Imagine if he had the support, tradition and great history of Tennessee behind him. I for one hope he goes to Tennessee because I do not want to have to face him on a B1G team.

Fact: Schiano took the worst team in FBS and turned it into the 2006 team - the Pandemonium in Piscataway. They were the best team in Rutgers history and one of the best teams in the country. That makes him a great coach. Nobody else could or did do that. Flood's first year success was a result of what Schiano built, which was unsustainable going forward without him. Imagine if he had the support, tradition and great history of Tennessee behind him. I for one hope he goes to Tennessee because I do not want to have to face him on a B1G team.

Tennessee is just as backwards as NJ but from a very different angle. He's no Phil Fulmer.

OSU gave up 30+ points three times this year; not sure that reflects well on the job Schiano's done. RU was a special job for him- he was so hungry and had been crafting his vision for what he'd do from the time he was a GA at PSU. Given his connections to Florida, he'd be a better fit for Florida, but just don't think he'll get the opportunity.

2006 was a decade ago - 11 years to be exact. A lot has changed and Schiano and his coaching; ability to relate to college kids; drive for excellence I'm sure has changed as well.

What occurred in 2006 was a miraculous thing but it's 11 friggin years ago

I hope for the best for him but I just don't see him as a serious viable candidate for Tennessee as the Vols can do and should do much better.

Oh how quickly some have forgotten that Rutgers football would absolutely NOT be in the Big Ten without the sustained success and commitment to winning that Greg brought here. He took a national laughingstock to the top 10 and gave this program an identity to be respected. If you look around here you’d think he was John L. Smith.

It’s no wonder our stadium is empty and in state recruits aren’t interested in Rutgers, this fanbase is so cynical and negative it even hates its own successes.

You Schiano haters are a special kind of strange. RU football would be nothing without him and probably wouldn't even be in P5. He's not a fit for all of these jobs but eventually he will get a premier job and will do very well IMO.

You Schiano haters are a special kind of strange. RU football would be nothing without him and probably wouldn't even be in P5. He's not a fit for all of these jobs but eventually he will get a premier job and will do very well IMO.
What Schiano haters? I just went back and read all the way through all the posts in the thread. I didn't see a single post where someone hated on Schiano. Can you quote a Schiano-hate post so we can see who you're talking about?

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
What Schiano haters? I just went back and read all the way through all the posts in the thread. I didn't see a single post where someone hated on Schiano. Can you quote a Schiano-hate post so we can see who you're talking about?

Just generally speaking on the board, not just this thread, but in this thread someone says Schiano would go 5-7 or 4-8 every year. That's certainly not love!

Do you think anyone who thinks Tennessee will be making a mistake hiring Schiano is a Schiano hater?

Or myself, who thinks the majority of Vol nation wants nothing to do with Schiano is a Schiano hater?

Schiano did all he could here. He built this program. But I don’t think he’s the big name candidate that will excite a fan base. And think his time has come and gone. Not a hater one bit though. You are right. RU Football would likely be nothing without him.

Reactions: mildone
Do you think anyone who thinks Tennessee will be making a mistake hiring Schiano is a Schiano hater?

Or myself, who thinks the majority of Vol nation wants nothing to do with Schiano is a Schiano hater?

Schiano did all he could here. He built this program. But I don’t think he’s the big name candidate that will excite a fan base. And think his time has come and gone. Not a hater one bit though. You are right. RU Football would likely be nothing without him.

No, i was referring to RU fans that don't like him and think he's a mediocre coach. I don't think he's a great fit for Tennessee either but do think he will do well there given the chance.

I agree the Tenn fans would hate the hire.

Reactions: mikemarc1

I respect what Schiano accomplished as the RU HC, but can't claim he should be considered a great hire for Tennessee, just good enough to deserve a look and consideration if their top candidates pass on the job.
Schiano took a terrible program and built into a respectably one that overall was fairly good and able to make minor bowl games just about every year.
But Greg could never bring RU FB up to the level of a perennial top 10 ( make that 25) program.
I believe in the 11 years he was RU's HC , his teams only made it into the final top 25 rankings 3 times
If you want to start counting from the Insight bowl:
3 times in 7 seasons. That's not consistent in my book.

Greg might be too much of a gamble for a program like Tennessee or Nebraska, but great catch for a program like Illinois ( though Lovie probably has one more year)
But I think ,more than likely , he will be returning to the College HC ranks as a mid major HC.

Nebraska wants a modern offense. NU's next coach will be an offensive coach. If the new AD were to hire Schiano the NU fan base would probably have the AD fired that day. Not that he isn't a decent coach, they just want nothing to do with a control freak like him. To us NU folks he is Pelini without the temper tantrums on the field, with the media, and towards the fans. Not going to happen.
Don't think of him as Bo.. he is a micro-manager who will want to have every aspect of the program be judged by him. If he thinks releasing balloons is a bad idea.. he'll try to do something about it... or he would have.

He does think of all the angles in odd ways.. his teams practiced running out of the tunnel.. apparently there is a right way to do that... the GS way. He changed the side of the field that is Rutgers home side because he wanted TV broadcast of the game to easily show his players. So we are not on the sunny side of the field. And the strange thing about that is.. GS will not wear a hat or visor nor sunglasses.. so in those afternoon games when the sun is low.. he couldn't see what is going on when play is near the south endzone.. sun in his eyes.

So.. the micromanagement.. in most ways it is a good thing.. takes away options that players and staff do not need.. they will go to class because someone will be watching. They will visit every HS you recruit every season.. even if they have no prospects.. (this was to build relationship with NJ coaches). He had a kids book made to be distributed to kindergartens.. "Hello Scarlet Knight"..

I can tell you this.. with GS as coach the Black Shirts will be back.. and will be a force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: gringo
Just generally speaking on the board, not just this thread, but in this thread someone says Schiano would go 5-7 or 4-8 every year. That's certainly not love!
True, that's not love. But it's not hate either. It's just someone's prediction.

I'm never going to love any coach, no matter how great that coach is. I'm going to think they're doing a good job, or not. I'm also never going to hate a coach. I don't even hate Flood. And once they leave, I stop thinking about them almost entirely.

Given my dispassion for coaches, I'm also likely to be remain pretty objective when I judge them. So, when I look objectively at Schiano's record at RU, I see: 11 years with a .500 record, never beating WVU, never winning the Big East, etc. I also see a fantastic program builder. I see a guy who put together some really good defenses and did a hell of a job coaching up DBs.

Taken all together, his time at RU, his WTF losses as D-Coord at OSU, his brief stay at Tampa Bay, and it just doesn't scream great head coach to me. Really good program builder. Average head coach.

Not hate. Not love. Just my dispassionate analysis based on results.

I respect what Schiano accomplished as the RU HC, but can't claim he should be considered a great hire for Tennessee, just good enough to deserve a look and consideration if their top candidates pass on the job.
Schiano took a terrible program and built into a respectably one that overall was fairly good and able to make minor bowl games just about every year.
But Greg could never bring RU FB up to the level of a perennial top 10 ( make that 25) program.
I believe in the 11 years he was RU's HC , his teams only made it into the final top 25 rankings 3 times
3 times in 7 seasons. That's not consistent in my book.

Greg might be too much of a gamble for a program like Tennessee or Nebraska, but great catch for a program like Illinois ( though Lovie probably has one more year)
But I think ,more than likely , he will be returning to the College HC ranks as a mid major HC.

We have no idea what GS can do as a head coach of a "name" program in a "name" conference. What he could do at Rutgers.. in the Big East.. it had a ceiling. A ceiling that lowered every season that the Big East got weakened and questions were raised about how far Big East teams can go in terms of bowl games. Those problems would not exist at Tennessee or Nebraska.

As a big GS fan for what he did here.. I can say that Ohio State's D in the playoffs last year surprised me.. GS was gold in bowl games... as was Urban Meyer for a long time. And we know there have been some letdowns this year.. though Iowa was an example of the offense committing so many turnovers that the D should not be blamed too much.

I think GS is a better fit recruiting-wise at Tennessee.. but for defense and for his FAMILY values thing.. Nebraska...

I think GS is a better fit recruiting-wise at Tennessee.. but for defense and for his FAMILY values thing.. Nebraska...
Totally disagree about recruiting in TN. I think he'd struggle.

I don't think he'd do so badly coaching in Nebraska, and he might win over the fan-base there, eventually. But I can't imagine the fan-base being happy with the choice at all, initially.

Don't think of him as Bo.. he is a micro-manager who will want to have every aspect of the program be judged by him. If he thinks releasing balloons is a bad idea.. he'll try to do something about it... or he would have.

He does think of all the angles in odd ways.. his teams practiced running out of the tunnel.. apparently there is a right way to do that... the GS way. He changed the side of the field that is Rutgers home side because he wanted TV broadcast of the game to easily show his players. So we are not on the sunny side of the field. And the strange thing about that is.. GS will not wear a hat or visor nor sunglasses.. so in those afternoon games when the sun is low.. he couldn't see what is going on when play is near the south endzone.. sun in his eyes.

So.. the micromanagement.. in most ways it is a good thing.. takes away options that players and staff do not need.. they will go to class because someone will be watching. They will visit every HS you recruit every season.. even if they have no prospects.. (this was to build relationship with NJ coaches). He had a kids book made to be distributed to kindergartens.. "Hello Scarlet Knight"..

I can tell you this.. with GS as coach the Black Shirts will be back.. and will be a force to be reckoned with.

Yeah, see that’s the thing. Nick Saban wouldn’t be allowed to change that stuff at Nebraska, nor would any other coach. Callahan and Pelini both tried to change a lot of the things that make Nebraska somewhat unique including doing away with the blackshirt tradition. That ain’t happening.
They have people that are watching each and every player every day to make sure they go to class. The football coach is not allowed to do anything with the academic side of things. He has no say if/when a player is suspended for not going to class or has bad grades. It’s out of their hands entirely. They miss 3 classes without a very legit reason, your out for the next game. Coach has no say. And it’s an accumulating class thing. You hit 3 somebody better be dead or your going to be at home. Not even allowed in stadium until the following week. Coaches coach, academics are not part of their thing at NU.
Funny you mention side of the field. Nebraska is on the opposite side as most Home teams and that is because of weather. It stays up to 20 degrees warmer on the east sideline than the west one this time of year because the sun is blocked by the stadium way sooner than the east side. Tom Osborne did it when the sky boxes were added. It can get damn cold before the end of a late November game on the West side.

It doesn’t matter. Schiano isn’t going to be at NU unless he wants to be an assistant there. Like I said before, it isn’t a slam on him, he just isn’t what they are looking for. The AD knows what type of coach he is to pursue and Schiano doesn’t match.
There are a lot of donors that have their checkbooks closed till they see who gets hired and a defensive coach will keep them closed.

2006 was a decade ago - 11 years to be exact. A lot has changed and Schiano and his coaching; ability to relate to college kids; drive for excellence I'm sure has changed as well.

What occurred in 2006 was a miraculous thing but it's 11 friggin years ago

I hope for the best for him but I just don't see him as a serious viable candidate for Tennessee as the Vols can do and should do much better.
Can Nick Saban and Urban Meyer still relate to college kids? How's their drive for excellence?

The real knock on Schiano at Tennessee is that the Vols wouldn't put up with a guy who won 9 games a season but lost to Florida and Georgia every year.

Nebraska wants a modern offense. NU's next coach will be an offensive coach. If the new AD were to hire Schiano the NU fan base would probably have the AD fired that day. Not that he isn't a decent coach, they just want nothing to do with a control freak like him. To us NU folks he is Pelini without the temper tantrums on the field, with the media, and towards the fans. Not going to happen.
I doubt he wants you either.

Dan Mullen completely blew the Alabama game! His QB was throwing great in the first half then Mullen decided to not throw unless on third and long in the second half and thought he could win the game with the time clock. He coached Not to Lose rather than to win! Chicken coach who completely FD Up on his biggest national stage. Lost a lot of respect for him; he was a wimp in his strategy. Tenn would not be wise if they took Mullen

3 times in 7 seasons.
That's not consistent in my book.

As far as I remember we were ranked once in the final top 25 rankings during his tenure.

True, that's not love. But it's not hate either. It's just someone's prediction.

I'm never going to love any coach, no matter how great that coach is. I'm going to think they're doing a good job, or not. I'm also never going to hate a coach. I don't even hate Flood. And once they leave, I stop thinking about them almost entirely.

Given my dispassion for coaches, I'm also likely to be remain pretty objective when I judge them. So, when I look objectively at Schiano's record at RU, I see: 11 years with a .500 record, never beating WVU, never winning the Big East, etc. I also see a fantastic program builder. I see a guy who put together some really good defenses and did a hell of a job coaching up DBs.

Taken all together, his time at RU, his WTF losses as D-Coord at OSU, his brief stay at Tampa Bay, and it just doesn't scream great head coach to me. Really good program builder. Average head coach.

Not hate. Not love. Just my dispassionate analysis based on results.
Pretty much have used similar language when talking about Schiano or other coaches (Ash, Kill, DM, Fleck, Brohm, etc...) I like talking coaching prospects. These aren't my mortal enemies nor are they my life long buddies. I just try to give my objective opinion about them based on what I've seen in their careers.

I don't think he'd do so badly coaching in Nebraska, and he might win over the fan-base there, eventually. But I can't imagine the fan-base being happy with the choice at all, initially.

The Boosters at Tenn and Nebby wield great power with the AD and will be involved in helping choose the next HC. They will want a HC with a much stronger winning record (ie Conference Championships) than what is on Greg’s resume. Not to mention that Greg was out of coaching for a few years while he milked his severance package from Tampa.

They also want to win now and don’t expect an extended rebuilding period to success. Will be surprised if they interview him unless it’s just to fill out the scorecard.

Well if Greg isn't hung up about having to be a Power 5 head coach. I could see him at UCF with pretty good success

According to his agent he is always on everyone short list, but of course that doesn't mean it is true.

That fanbase would riot if they hired him. Remember they feel that they should be winning the SEC every year. The fans spend way too much money buying recruits off to not win championships.

well since I well since I am batting almost a thousand and accurately predicted that Greg Schiano would be out in two years of Tampa Bay I will lay this one out there. He will fail it Tennessee and he will fail it Nebraska if he takes either of those positions. Greg needs a lower-level P5 team. He would be great at Northwestern he might even be good back at Rutgers as I would take him over Terry Shea I mean Chris Ash.

I strongly disagree. A whole series of coaches have been able to recruit very successfully at Tenn (the place is amazing) and Schiano is noted for his recruiting. Hell, look what he attracted to Rutgers during his tenure. How many revenue sport coaches at RU stayed when they had offers to jump to a school like Michigan? Answer, zero. For that, he won my respect and admiration. How many revenue sport coaches at RU didn't end up fired by RU and washed up in this profession. Pretty much every one. It is a very hard job to field a competitive football team at our school for a number of reasons.

Loved how the negative crowd justified GS turning down the great opportunity at Michigan by saying he was afraid of the challenge and that he was just milking RU. Then he took the ultimate challenge of the Bucs job in the NFL and those same people were furious because he was leaving. Laughable.

Best coach in RU history. Bottom line. I wish him well except when he coaches against us.

well since I well since I am batting almost a thousand and accurately predicted that Greg Schiano would be out in two years of Tampa Bay I will lay this one out there. He will fail it Tennessee and he will fail it Nebraska if he takes either of those positions. Greg needs a lower-level P5 team. He would be great at Northwestern he might even be good back at Rutgers as I would take him over Terry Shea I mean Chris Ash.

Comparing Chris Ash to Terry Shea is hitting below the belt, ha ! Do you remember the Terry Shea days ?

You're batting a thousand huh? Where is the great Al Golden we missed out on? That guy was a shooting star, how on earth did we blow it by skipping on him?

We get it, it's easy to hate anyone and everyone in charge of anything and say it can be done better. Just like our wonderful President does. Am I right brother?

I strongly disagree. A whole series of coaches have been able to recruit very successfully at Tenn (the place is amazing) and Schiano is noted for his recruiting. Hell, look what he attracted to Rutgers during his tenure. How many revenue sport coaches at RU stayed when they had offers to jump to a school like Michigan? Answer, zero. For that, he won my respect and admiration. How many revenue sport coaches at RU didn't end up fired by RU and washed up in this profession. Pretty much every one. It is a very hard job to field a competitive football team at our school for a number of reasons.

Loved how the negative crowd justified GS turning down the great opportunity at Michigan by saying he was afraid of the challenge and that he was just milking RU. Then he took the ultimate challenge of the Bucs job in the NFL and those same people were furious because he was leaving. Laughable.

Best coach in RU history. Bottom line. I wish him well except when he coaches against us.
He might be the best coach in ru history and what he did here obviously endeared him to a lot of fans. As it should have.

But I can’t see RU fan perception of him weighing very heavily in the minds of ADs seeking a big time winning coach. I think his inability to consistently win big games will weigh more heavily. I think his overall record will weigh more heavily.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I want Schiano to take the Arkansas job. Just so I can have video of him "calling the hogs" so I can just cut and paste it into any Schiano thread on this board.

Reactions: Abro1975
Schiano will get a good P5 job and I predict he'll do very well. Anyone who's read his post Tampa Bay interviews knows that that experience has humbled him quite a bit and that it seems he's very prepared to delegate more than he did in the past, whicb should mean he'd have no issue hiring a top OC and letting that person run the offense. We know he can recruit and do all the organizational things well and, of course, we know he can coach the crap out of the defense and special teams. Still wish we had hired him back...
Those post Tampa interviews were typical PR puff pieces designed to get this exact response from people.

He'll be 99% the same coach at his next stop as he was here.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This again. He had similiar support as every other team in the Big East for a majority of his best years. We were a 500 in conference team at best over that span. Tennesee has the same support, history, and tradition as all the other teams they play. If he couldn't dominate lesser coaches on the same budget why is he a lock to do it at Tennessee? Yes there is the he learned from his lessons argument. Ok, now square it with his OSU D's with 5 star talent getting shredded by clemson, Oklahoma, PSU, and Iowa in the last 12 months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT