ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano on Tennessee short list

I think his ego and sense of his place in the market would put any of those programs off his list. The impression he leaves is that he wants a perennial Top-20 team with money, facilities, potential fans and heritage.

A Schiano Man doesn't coach at Kansas when there's a job opening at UF.
Why? If it was all about ego, he wouldn't have rejected Michigan for RU.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Don't think of him as Bo.. he is a micro-manager who will want to have every aspect of the program be judged by him. If he thinks releasing balloons is a bad idea.. he'll try to do something about it... or he would have.

He does think of all the angles in odd ways.. his teams practiced running out of the tunnel.. apparently there is a right way to do that... the GS way. He changed the side of the field that is Rutgers home side because he wanted TV broadcast of the game to easily show his players. So we are not on the sunny side of the field. And the strange thing about that is.. GS will not wear a hat or visor nor sunglasses.. so in those afternoon games when the sun is low.. he couldn't see what is going on when play is near the south endzone.. sun in his eyes.

So.. the micromanagement.. in most ways it is a good thing.. takes away options that players and staff do not need.. they will go to class because someone will be watching. They will visit every HS you recruit every season.. even if they have no prospects.. (this was to build relationship with NJ coaches). He had a kids book made to be distributed to kindergartens.. "Hello Scarlet Knight"..

I can tell you this.. with GS as coach the Black Shirts will be back.. and will be a force to be reckoned with.
Did he micromanage because he had to or because he wanted to? His coordinators were being paid less than 250K. I can't imagine he would do the same thing with a coordinator that has a bit more experience.

Comparing Chris Ash to Terry Shea is hitting below the belt, ha ! Do you remember the Terry Shea days ?
very very well and like all things with history, people embellish and the like. Terri she could not manage a program any could not recruit but one thing he could do was out coach with inferior Talent people that he was up against. If you recall the players we had on the team then, more than half should have never been in division 1 much less the Big East. He was still able to move the ball and looked like he had a life in the program. We were clearly outmatched clearly did not have the talent Etc but on game day and with the players that he had, he got more out of them then Chris Ash is getting out of Lol at punter LOL

Did he micromanage because he had to or because he wanted to? His coordinators were being paid less than 250K. I can't imagine he would do the same thing with a coordinator that has a bit more experience.
he did he did it because it's in his nature and it had nothing to do with who the coordinator was or how much the coordinator made.

Point out a post by anyone in this thread that mocks Schiano. Or were you being facetious?

Well.. we know there are Schiano haters on this board, right?

And we know they are attracted to any thread that mentions Schiano.. correct?

So one would think that they would participate in such a thread. In fact, the first quote below is by the thread-starting OP.. so, perhaps tempered by the idea that GS might get a P5 job.. I offer you these quotes as those of the haters. And I really do not understand it.. we know Miami and Michigan wanted him when he was here. So how he is not a legitimate P5 candidate.. I don't know how the haters can sustain that argument... but they will try.

I will gladly eat crow if he gets a top flight P5 job. I will also enjoy Tennesee's march to 6-6 campaigns.

Hey all it takes is one, somewhat like selling a home. Just got to find that one. I didn't think Schiano should've ever sniffed an NFL job but it takes just one NFL owner with the recommendation of legend like Belichick and boom it can happen.

Same for this although I think this go around is more realistic in my mind than that ever would have been. He's been "blessed" by the Meyer touch now for 2 years and you'd like to think he's improved in that time so who knows. I think it pretty much depends on how he's evolved on offense. If he's evolved maybe he'll do okay but if not then I don't think he'll live up to Tenn expectations. That's not something we can know.

Me too but I had him pegged for UCF or USF

sorry, this one made me LOL...literally........

Schiano at Tennessee would be 5-7 or 4-8 every year.

Would pay to see them hire Greg just to watch the meltdown in Knoxville!!

Would never happen imho.

Reactions: RUDead
Point out a post by anyone in this thread that mocks Schiano. Or were you being facetious?

So one would think that they would participate in such a thread. In fact, the first quote below is by the thread-starting OP.. so, perhaps tempered by the idea that GS might get a P5 job.. I offer you these quotes as those of the haters. And I really do not understand it.. we know Miami and Michigan wanted him when he was here. So how he is not a legitimate P5 candidate.. I don't know how the haters can sustain that argument... but they will try.

I will gladly eat crow if he gets a top flight P5 job. I will also enjoy Tennesee's march to 6-6 campaigns.

Hey all it takes is one, somewhat like selling a home. Just got to find that one. I didn't think Schiano should've ever sniffed an NFL job but it takes just one NFL owner with the recommendation of legend like Belichick and boom it can happen.

Same for this although I think this go around is more realistic in my mind than that ever would have been. He's been "blessed" by the Meyer touch now for 2 years and you'd like to think he's improved in that time so who knows. I think it pretty much depends on how he's evolved on offense. If he's evolved maybe he'll do okay but if not then I don't think he'll live up to Tenn expectations. That's not something we can know.

Me too but I had him pegged for UCF or USF

sorry, this one made me LOL...literally........

Schiano at Tennessee would be 5-7 or 4-8 every year.

Would pay to see them hire Greg just to watch the meltdown in Knoxville!!

Would never happen imho.

Not sure how many of these are “hate”.

I offer you my quote as someone who practically opens, reads and posts in most any coaching thread if you haven't noticed. Just because my assessment of him or Fleck or Brohm or Durkins or Kill or DM or whomever doesn't match yours or someone else's doesn't classify me as a hater it classifies me as someone giving an objective opinion.

I suppose I was a hater too when DM got hired and I was open to him but wasn't high on him and had been suggesting co-OC since that time not just currently with Kill. Well I guess just about everyone is a hater of DM now right? Or maybe they saw his results, judged them and then have more formed opinion of him. Same for Flood when he got hired and I was doubtful of him but was open. Well I guess most are haters of him too now right? Or they saw the results and formulated their opinion. Just like they should for anyone.

I want Schiano to take the Arkansas job. Just so I can have video of him "calling the hogs" so I can just cut and paste it into any Schiano thread on this board.

Would give a whole new meaning to the old expression: "Porca Miseria!"

Like Mike said, I'm not sure I'd call that stuff hate. It's skepticism and absence of love. And humor.

At least in my opinion.

Of course, it's hard to know what lurks in the hearts of men. In the unlikely case that anybody's wondering what lurks in my heart, it's pretty much 99.9% sexual. Except on Sundays when it's 100%. :)

Reactions: mikemarc1
The objectionable micro-management was beyond the football field. He dumped the radio team and picked his own.. including Tim Pernetti.. who it would seem he later hand-picked for AD to replace Mulcahy. Don't get me wrong.. I think his micro-management did wonders.. but I can see why it ruffled feathers and would do so at his next stop. It did in the NFL when he objected to reporters getting certain access to practices... I think he annoyed certain NFL scouts at Rutgers pro days as well, iirc.

On the field.. we saw him dump his OC and take over the offense a couple times.. and they both worked out. The Cubits and later Flood and his co-OC, I forget his name... in both cases the offense did better in the next game. But, yeah, GS had issues with finding and retaining good assistants.. cost of living in NJ and limited budget were issues that he will not have elsewhere. I think it would be difficult to be a GS DC... and for OC you would have to be both good and run clock and limit turnovers to get along with GS. And you just know GS will demand assistants put in as much time as he did as an assistant coming up.. basically.. 24x7... and they might do that for a brand name coach like Meyer or Saban... but for Schiano? I think they would be more annoyed than inspired. So.. yeah.. he will have trouble... unless he has relaxed in his middle age.

The Boosters at Tenn and Nebby wield great power with the AD and will be involved in helping choose the next HC. They will want a HC with a much stronger winning record (ie Conference Championships) than what is on Greg’s resume. Not to mention that Greg was out of coaching for a few years while he milked his severance package from Tampa.

They also want to win now and don’t expect an extended rebuilding period to success. Will be surprised if they interview him unless it’s just to fill out the scorecard.

Greg better be well liked by Peyton Manning. There are about 4 people making that decision.

Like Mike said, I'm not sure I'd call that stuff hate. It's skepticism and absence of love. And humor.

At least in my opinion.

Of course, it's hard to know what lurks in the hearts of men. In the unlikely case that anybody's wondering what lurks in my heart, it's pretty much 99.9% sexual. Except on Sundays when it's 100%. :)

The only “hateful” post that was quoted, in my opinion..could be VKJ’s first..where it’s implied he will “enjoy” seeing Greg struggle. I’m not even sure he meant it in a hateful way.

Reactions: mildone
anvil....because he was more powerful than his bosses here. he was king and flaunted it.

that wouldn't have been the case at Michigan, which wouldn't have worked with his ego.

That's the thing, I don't get why people can't handle it if their opinion is challenged. As long as someone is this what I think and this is why, there should be no issue. I could give a darn if someone agrees with me or not and am willing to engage in a debate back and forth.

"He sucks, he's great" adds nothing to the conversation but if you have reasoning behind your opinion I don't have any issue with whatever it is.

Take this hypothetical. Say you're in love with Schiano and I'm not as high on him. That's fine. Then go on and assess some other coaches out there and say said Schiano supporter and me are in agreement that coach isn't all that good. Would I be classified as "hater" by said person or would he be? Or would it be well we're in agreement now so it's all hunky dory. This my point if you're in agreement everything is fine in the world but if not then well you must be a "hater" or a "lover" or what have you.

As I said above none of these coaches I talk about are my mortal enemy nor my life long buddy. I give an assessment of how I see them based on their careers. You can agree with me or not.

Reactions: mildone
Those post Tampa interviews were typical PR puff pieces designed to get this exact response from people.

He'll be 99% the same coach at his next stop as he was here.
Thanks for laying that to rest. We'll all defer to your superior knowledge of what Greg will do at his next coaching stop.

The objectionable micro-management was beyond the football field. He dumped the radio team and picked his own.. including Tim Pernetti.. who it would seem he later hand-picked for AD to replace Mulcahy. Don't get me wrong.. I think his micro-management did wonders.. but I can see why it ruffled feathers and would do so at his next stop. It did in the NFL when he objected to reporters getting certain access to practices... I think he annoyed certain NFL scouts at Rutgers pro days as well, iirc.

On the field.. we saw him dump his OC and take over the offense a couple times.. and they both worked out. The Cubits and later Flood and his co-OC, I forget his name... in both cases the offense did better in the next game. But, yeah, GS had issues with finding and retaining good assistants.. cost of living in NJ and limited budget were issues that he will not have elsewhere. I think it would be difficult to be a GS DC... and for OC you would have to be both good and run clock and limit turnovers to get along with GS. And you just know GS will demand assistants put in as much time as he did as an assistant coming up.. basically.. 24x7... and they might do that for a brand name coach like Meyer or Saban... but for Schiano? I think they would be more annoyed than inspired. So.. yeah.. he will have trouble... unless he has relaxed in his middle age.
As for the off-field stuff, I'm giving him a pass on it. IMO, it wouldn't have been possible to accomplish what he accomplished in terms of changing attitudes and building the program without being a massively type-A control-freak. There had to be a ton of red-tape to cut through, a lot of different entrenchment to blow away, a lot of political infighting and resistance to overcome. And he had to do all that while running a football program.

And it's tough, IMO, to be that guy in one area of work life while relaxing it in other areas of work life. OTOH, he was probably running off to S&M clubs in NYC every chance he got to get some chill time as a sub. [winking]

Seriously, though, I have HUGE respect for what he accomplished as a program builder. He's not unique in having accomplished such a thing, but it was a monumental effort and he did a great job.

Moving foward to his next job, given a program that doesn't require building from the ground up, he can focus on just running the team, let his AD handle the rest. So perhaps he ease off a bit on the control w/the coaches, find more balance. We'll probably find out over the next few years.

That's the thing, I don't get why people can't handle it if their opinion is challenged. As long as someone is this what I think and this is why, there should be no issue. I could give a darn if someone agrees with me or not and am willing to engage in a debate back and forth.

"He sucks, he's great" adds nothing to the conversation but if you have reasoning behind your opinion I don't have any issue with whatever it is.

Take this hypothetical. Say you're in love with Schiano and I'm not as high on him. That's fine. Then go on and assess some other coaches out there and say said Schiano supporter and me are in agreement that coach isn't all that good. Would I be classified as "hater" by said person or would he be? Or would it be well we're in agreement now so it's all hunky dory. This my point if you're in agreement everything is fine in the world but if not then well you must be a "hater" or a "lover" or what have you.

As I said above none of these coaches I talk about are my mortal enemy nor my life long buddy. I give an assessment of how I see them based on their careers. You can agree with me or not.

Agree 100%.

It’s an indication of the country we live in today. Everyone is a “hater” or horrible just because they have s different opinion. Sad.

The only “hateful” post that was quoted, in my opinion..could be VKJ’s first..where it’s implied he will “enjoy” seeing Greg struggle. I’m not even sure he meant it in a hateful way.
I agree. That first post was the most emotionally negative of this thread. It's always possible @vkj91 has more reason than most to have an issue with Schiano. Or it could've been just going for humor and we're taking it the wrong way.

I know some people got really offended when Schiano left, and the way he left. Perhaps some people haven't gotten over that?

You're WRONG!

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Thanks for laying that to rest. We'll all defer to your superior knowledge of what Greg will do at his next coaching stop.
Wiseass. I can't imagine what kind of losers you hang out with given that sarcastic attitude.

Agree 100%.

It’s an indication of the country we live in today. Everyone is a “hater” or horrible just because they have s different opinion. Sad.
Because there are no such thing as "haters"? What about "griefers" and "trolls"? They do not exist either? What about "fanboys"?

The GS haters exist. We have seen their work here for years. To refer to them in this thread is perfectly reasonable. The post that got us talking about "haters" did not question posts that indicated "hate".. just "haters".. and we know they exist and are in this thread. Such a "hater" could have said "meh".. and it would have been a post by a "hater".

Also.. if everyone were entirely logical and reasonable when discussing GS then no one could be called a "hater". But there is history here... we have seen unreasonable posts about GS and those people have been labelled "haters".. accurately, imo, as the term "hater" is used.

Last edited:
Hey #s...what do you think of my ref bias conspiracy theory now ? it went as I said it would (crippling RU penalties to put them in a hole), and even better...the Michigan "no touchdown" call on replay against UW in the first half when game tied even though video showed otherwise.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-failed-td-drive-with-a-controversial-ruling/

and I will ask you again...do you think refs would be just as likely to throw a red zone holding flags on OSU and UW in the conf champ game if a UW win get them into the playoff at 13-0 ?

I agree. That first post was the most emotionally negative of this thread. It's always possible @vkj91 has more reason than most to have an issue with Schiano. Or it could've been just going for humor and we're taking it the wrong way.

I know some people got really offended when Schiano left, and the way he left. Perhaps some people haven't gotten over that?
I have no ill will towards Schiano and I will always give him credit for making RU relevant. Hell, if not for him, I would have never become a fan. What I won't do is go along with the narrative that he was something he was not. He caught lighting in a bottle in 06 and that was huge for RU. However, from there on he was simply a 500 in conference coach. I simply don't understand why being Honest or critical of Schiano is such a sin around here.

Because there are no such thing as "haters"? What about "griefers" and "trolls"? They do not exist either? What about "fanboys"?

The GS haters exist. We have seen their work here for years. To refer to them in this thread is perfectly reasonable. The post that got us talking about "haters" did not question posts that indicated "hate".. just "haters".. and we know they exist and are in this thread. Such a "hater" could have said "meh".. and it would have been a post by a "hater".

Also.. if everyone were entirely logical and reasonable when discussing GS then no one could be called a "hater". But there is history here... we have seen unreasonable posts about GS and those people have been labelled "haters".. accurately, imo, as the term "hater" is used.
Can you tell me what was unreasonable and illogical in my post that you quoted?

I have no ill will towards Schiano and I will always give him credit for making RU relevant. Hell, if not for him, I would have never become a fan. What I won't do is go along with the narrative that he was something he was not. He caught lighting in a bottle in 06 and that was huge for RU. However, from there on he was simply a 500 in conference coach. I simply don't understand why being Honest or critical of Schiano is such a sin around here.
Explain how he "caught" lightning in a bottle and did not build that team for 5 years? How do you convince yourself that Schiano somehow got lucky in 2006? He invested in building that defense for years and years.. costing us easy victories over physically inferior teams.. just to get his defense moving and reading and executing the way he wanted them to. That defense and special teams he built got us all those early season wins when the offense was struggling. His investment in Ray Rice and moving BL to fullback.. got us wins.

2006 was ALL GS doing (after the players of course).. he did not "catch lightning". His tendencies cost us games and they won us games too... but in denying him credit for 2006, that is what makes you a hater.

Reactions: gringo
That's what I figured. I'm in very much the same boat.

why do the Schiano can do no wrong crowd always do this to us? It is like we are not allowed to have an opinion of his coaching skills. Let me try to say this again and I can bet that those like VKJ and a couple of others agree. THANK YOU GREG SCHIANO FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR THIS PROGRAM. WITHOUT YOU, WE WOULD NEVER BE IN THE B1G AND NEVER WOULD HAVE THE TEN BEST YEARS THIS PROGRAM HAS ENJOYED UP TO DATE1
The man built a program where no one else may have been able to do so.

With that, he got the opportunity of a lifetime, HC in the NFL. I don't even hate how that happened either.

But, some of us just don't want him back here and also do not see ANYTHING that says he would be successful as a top level P5 HC. Why can't we have that opinion and not be considered hating on him? I wish the man great success in life. There is no reason not to. Just don't see him as a top P5 candidate.

Reactions: gringo and vkj91
Had Schiano stayed, we would be in much better shape as a football program than we are now.

Had he returned rather than our hiring Ash, I believe we would be in much better shape than we are now.

Ash gets one more season to show significant progress as far as I am concerned. Then we should go after an established coach — my first choice, once again, would be this guy:

tunnel-nsu.jpg

Rutgers fans are weird bunch. On anational scale getting Rutgers to 6-8 wins every year was considered a miracle. We’re the only people who think we should’ve been winning our conference every year.

Can you tell me what was unreasonable and illogical in my post that you quoted?
Did you read my post? I said..

If a hater posts "meh".. it can still be called a post by a "hater". I do not know if you are a hater or not.. you would know. But we do know the haters exist and have made illogical and unreasonable posts regarding Schiano.. you know it too.. if you haven't made such posts you certainly have read them. So assuming at least some of the negative comments regarding Schiano to Tennessee as being posts by "haters".. that is a reasonable assumption.. even if the post was not hate-filled.

But.. to your point.. how about this line from you:

"I didn't think Schiano should've ever sniffed an NFL job but it takes just one NFL owner with the recommendation of legend like Belichick and boom it can happen. "

What is logical or reasoned about that assumption.. that the DC for number 1 Miami.. a head coach that built a ranked program at Rutgers.. a guy with NFL assistant experience.. a guy offered by Michigan and Miami for HC.. should "never sniff an NFL job". What's reasonable about that?

Explain how he "caught" lightning in a bottle and did not build that team for 5 years? How do you convince yourself that Schiano somehow got lucky in 2006? He invested in building that defense for years and years.. costing us easy victories over physically inferior teams.. just to get his defense moving and reading and executing the way he wanted them to. That defense and special teams he built got us all those early season wins when the offense was struggling. His investment in Ray Rice and moving BL to fullback.. got us wins.

2006 was ALL GS doing (after the players of course).. he did not "catch lightning". His tendencies cost us games and they won us games too... but in denying him credit for 2006, that is what makes you a hater.
I'm sorry. I didn't realize "lightning in a bottle" carried such a negative connotation. Probably because it doesn't. I never said he doesn't deserve credit for 06 but he always deserves criticism for staying 500 going forward. Like most programs who have a magical year there are usually a few variables. Cuse firing their coach being one. Remember, we are an offsides away from being 4-3 in conference that year. Just like as horrible as Flood was he was an illegal man down field call away from going to BCS game. It's not hate it's objectivity.

Rutgers fans are weird bunch. On anational scale getting Rutgers to 6-8 wins every year was considered a miracle. We’re the only people who think we should’ve been winning our conference every year.
Human beings are a weird bunch. How do you go from the reality of never winning the conference even once in eleven years to promoting the idea that anybody thinks we should have won the conference every year?

Last edited:
Had Schiano stayed, we would be in much better shape as a football program than we are now.

Had he returned rather than our hiring Ash, I believe we would be in much better shape than we are now.

Ash gets one more season to show significant progress as far as I am concerned. Then we should go after an established coach — my first choice, once again, would be this guy:

tunnel-nsu.jpg
Maybe but people forget that Schiano and Pernetti had it out after UCONN trounced us. Many believe he was told he should seek employment elsewhere if the chance arose.

If a hater posts "meh".. it can still be called a post by a "hater". I do not know if you are a hater or not.. you would know. But we do know the haters exist and have made illogical and unreasonable posts regarding Schiano.. you know it too.. if you haven't made such posts you certainly have read them. So assuming at least some of the negative comments regarding Schiano to Tennessee as being posts by "haters".. that is a reasonable assumption.. even if the post was not hate-filled.

"I didn't think Schiano should've ever sniffed an NFL job but it takes just one NFL owner with the recommendation of legend like Belichick and boom it can happen. "

What is logical or reasoned about that assumption.. that the DC for number 1 Miami.. a head coach that built a ranked program at Rutgers.. a guy with NFL assistant experience.. a guy offered by Michigan and Miami for HC.. should "never sniff an NFL job". What's reasonable about that?

Exactly. For every person ripping on Schiano to the NFL I give you Doug Marrone who won nothing in college, went 8-8 at Buffalo before leaving and still managed to get another NFL HC job.

Reactions: BLewis1968

It is reasonable because nothing on his resume screamed NFL coach, including what you just posted. What are names over the years that have been rumored as possible NFL candidates from college. Bob Stoops national champion coach, Urban Meyer national champion coach, Butch Davis resurrecting a Miami program from sanctions to the cusp of a national championship, Chip Kelly competitor for a national championship taken Oregon to national recognition consistently. Nick Saban national champ coach at LSU. Stack Schiano's resumes to those, I'm sorry it's not even close. He didn't win the BE once or beat WVU once. Kirk Ferentz is probably the one that could be closest and he's taken Iowa to national level recognition on a handful of occasions into the top 10. It's not the same and there's nothing unreasonable about it.

I said all it takes is one and that's true too, especially when you have friends like Bellichick and Meyer on your side. I'll give you this example from my old NFL Raider fan days. I couldn't tell you squat about the NFL now I'm so out of touch. Al Davis hired Art Shell back as HC and who does Art Shell bring in as his OC? Tom White IIRC a guy who was his former OC some time ago but had literally been running a bed and breakfast in Idaho after being out of the game. Well it was a disaster but that's my point all it takes is one to pick you.

As for UM coordinators what kind of jobs do they end up with? I don't remember all of them but off the top of my head. Herman to Houston, Whittingham Utah, Mullen Miss. State, Strong Louisville. None of them are top flight program, P5 yes but top quality no. Schiano has been a HC unlike those guys so it's possible for him to get a boost over those guys but not a guarantee. Again nothing unreasonable in what I said.

Last edited:
Exactly. For every person ripping on Schiano to the NFL I give you Doug Marrone who won nothing in college, went 8-8 at Buffalo before leaving and still managed to get another NFL HC job.
I forgot about him and I'll agree with that but he was an NFL OC at one time IIRC before Syracuse. Again all it takes is one. I wouldn't have hired Marone either.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize "lightning in a bottle" carried such a negative connotation. Probably because it doesn't. I never said he doesn't deserve credit for 06 but he always deserves criticism for staying 500 going forward. Like most programs who have a magical year there are usually a few variables. Cuse firing their coach being one. Remember, we are an offsides away from being 4-3 in conference that year. Just like as horrible as Flood was he was an illegal man down field call away from going to BCS game. It's not hate it's objectivity.
In context.. especially considering your OP.. "lightning in a bottle" is synonymous with "flash in a pan".. one-hit wonder.. i.e. getting LUCKY. Objectivity? no. Its haterish.. you know it, we know it. Own it. Afterall.. when he doesn't get these jobs or he fails at them, you can always say "I told you so".

Reactions: RUDead
In context.. especially considering your OP.. "lightning in a bottle" is synonymous with "flash in a pan".. one-hit wonder.. i.e. getting LUCKY. Objectivity? no. Its haterish.. you know it, we know it. Own it. Afterall.. when he doesn't get these jobs or he fails at them, you can always say "I told you so".
I do consider it flash in pan. How can you not if it's not recreated or repeated? I don't consider that hater either. How do you disprove flash in the pan? By producing the same result consistently over time.

I say that for all coaches even when talking about contract extensions. I don't trust short term results. I talk about consistency over time all the time in evaluating any coach. Consistency is a word I use constantly.

I forgot about him and I'll agree with that but he was an NFL OC at one time IIRC before Syracuse. Again all it takes is one. I wouldn't have hired Marone either.
I tell you what.. Marone OWNED Schiano in their first game (thru Schiano's false hope that Flood knew what he was doing as co-OC).. and this thread indicates, I am a GS fan. But GS failed to look at his offense as a good DC would.. and Marone's D ripped that offense apart.. giving teams the blue-print to repeat that tactic over and over the following dreadful year. But then Schiano took over the O for the game vs Syracuse and beat Marone that next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT