ADVERTISEMENT

Schools closing early for heat..lol

You make your kids finish their meals before they leave the table because there are children starving in Korea?
that's rhetoric we heard constantly.

yes but not because of Korea and more because there are starving people and they should be lucky to have been born into a good life. They finish all they take or they get no desert.

kids today are coddled and agree, the 'tough' generation is the one allowing it.....

also, closing the schools is more about the teachers and their complaining than the actual kids

Reactions: bac2therac
My office actually lost its AC at 7am. However thanks to my training of growing up in schools without A/C am I able to endure and type this from my desk. Perhaps these no longer taught survival skills will land me a reality show.

Reactions: mildone
also, closing the schools is more about the teachers and their complaining than the actual kids

As a former teacher, I don't agree with this. Many teachers are still contractually obligated to stay until the end of the day, even if kids are let out for a half day. But then again, I don't remember many days where I got home before 7PM from coaching or other extracurricular stuff, so it never applied to me.

I love the obsession with the wussification of America on this board, it's one of my favorite things. Sadly, the generation that appears to be the ones in charge of making all the decisions that are 'wussifying' our kids is the same generation that was raised to be tough as nails. I'm not sure how that happened. Perhaps all that suffering as kids broke us.

Add to this the current generation of "wussies" have been at war for 17 straight years.

As a former teacher, I don't agree with this. Many teachers are still contractually obligated to stay until the end of the day, even if kids are let out for a half day. But then again, I don't remember many days where I got home before 7PM from coaching or other extracurricular stuff, so it never applied to me.

I think you are the exception my friend

What is the value to the suffering? What successful older person suffers bad working conditions? What does the suffering do except function as an act of hazing?

What is wrong with you people?

The schools have codified protocols in place.

Do you think the administration sat around the conference table yesterday and said, "golly gee Martha, it was really hot today and is gonna be really hot tomorrow. Ya think I should call a half day?"

When the temp hits a certain level, the protocols kick in. They then look at the forecast and the history of how the buildings without A/C cool overnight.

There are all sorts of heat related protocols.

For example, in our district if it's 85 or higher by 10 am, the kids do not go outside for recess.

They aren't sitting there making shit up on the fly

I wonder if I should pick up the 3 year old from day care early. She said they don't have AC at day care.

Do you think the administration sat around the conference table yesterday and said, "golly gee Martha, it was really hot today and is gonna be really hot tomorrow. Ya think I should call a half day?"

When the temp hits a certain level, the protocols kick in. They then look at the forecast and the history of how the buildings without A/C cool overnight.

For example, in our district if it's 85 or higher by 10 am, the kids do not go outside for recess.

It doesn't matter if they have protocols or not. The protocols themselves are soft and wussy (created by soft and wussy parents).

Also, regarding your comment about fighting a war for 17 years. What % of the younger demo is serving (or even know we are at "war")? A few percent at most?

You make your kids finish their meals before they leave the table because there are children starving in Korea?
that's rhetoric we heard constantly.
Yes, I do. They are also taught to say please and thank you and be respectful to adults. They also have to do their homework. Not sure what your point is.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING

But why would we suddenly let facts get in the way of some good "get off my lawn" grousing here on the RU football forum?

Yes, I do. They are also taught to say please and thank you and be respectful to adults. They also have to do their homework. Not sure what your point is.
It's a difficult concept to explain, but here goes. I was making an attempt at humor.

It doesn't matter if they have protocols or not. The protocols themselves are soft and wussy (created by soft and wussy parents).

Also, regarding your comment about fighting a war for 17 years. What % of the younger demo is serving (or even know we are at "war")? A few percent at most?

Define the younger demo...

Millennials are considered born between 1982 and 2004. The bulk of the grunts doing the fighting were and continue to be, the millennial generation.

Screw schools. Many of us were raised in houses that, believe it or not, did not have central air conditioning. If it was brutally hot, you slept in the back yard. Most of the adults on this thread couldn't survive without their air conditioning yet are advocates for reducing greenhouse gases. Guess what, the power plants feeding your central air are polluting the environment. Hypocrites. Kids will adjust. My daughter was running around full speed yesterday at her school's picnic. Highlight was the local fire company blasting the kids with water.

Screw schools. Many of us were raised in houses that, believe it or not, did not have central air conditioning. If it was brutally hot, you slept in the back yard. Most of the adults on this thread couldn't survive without their air conditioning yet are advocates for reducing greenhouse gases. Guess what, the power plants feeding your central air are polluting the environment. Hypocrites. Kids will adjust. My daughter was running around full speed yesterday at her school's picnic. Highlight was the local fire company blasting the kids with water.

3514837-you-sir-deserve-a-cookie.jpg.png

Reactions: patk89
In Sayreville neither the Jr. HS nor the HS had air conditioning. After a stupendous heat wave in the late 70s they enacted a policy that if the temperature hit 93 by 10am, they would dismiss early. Of course, that's a pretty tough number to hit, so... we roasted.

Mostly I didn't mind. It was the 70s. Sheer halter tops were a thing, for the girls. So was not wearing underwear of any kind when it got hot.

Reactions: mildone
In Sayreville neither the Jr. HS nor the HS had air conditioning. After a stupendous heat wave in the late 70s they enacted a policy that if the temperature hit 93 by 10am, they would dismiss early. Of course, that's a pretty tough number to hit, so... we roasted.

Mostly I didn't mind. It was the 70s. Sheer halter tops were a thing, for the girls. So was not wearing underwear of any kind when it got hot.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Reactions: cicero grimes
If the teachers aren't smart enough to know that you can't get a reliable reading from a thermometer in the sun, the district has bigger problems.

My kid is in one of the districts that is going to a half day today.

The only rooms in the building with A/C are the gym, the computer lab and offices (front office/nurse's office).

It's not about coddling kids.

It's about what the hell do you do with them all day? Schools are often 12 hour a day hubs f activities now. It's not 1980, where we all left at 3pm. My kid's school has an after care program that opens at 0700 and runs to 630 pm. That means kids as young as 6 years old are on-site for 11.5 hours.

Additionally, the buildings retain heat when it's hot for multiple days in a row. When I dropped my kids off this morning at before care, the cafeteria was 81 degrees.

How many of you tough guys are posting your pussification of America comments from your air conditioned office?

And anyone who wants to prove how tough they are, whaddya say you put your BDUs, body armor and 120 pound ruck on and meet me at the local park for a few miles...
I don't know what a ruck is. Is it good-looking?

What do you mean did parents do?

Our district's after care program ran as usual.

So instead of sweating in class, they sweat in the cafe or the gym.

Kids who bus went home.

There seem to be two main arguments in this thread.

1. Kids are soft and should sit in school in 90 degree heat and suffer like we did

2. Administrators are cherry picking days off and wasting valuable teaching time.

Point 2 is silly, because in this weather they don't "teach" them anything. They turn the lights off and watch movies or go to the gym and sit in one of the two or three air conditioned spaces.

Point 1 is the age old "we had it so much tougher" argument.

Having it rougher doesn't equate to better training. If it did, college football programs would run August camp like Bear Bryant ran the Junction Boys. But most of us are smart enough to know that the torture in the heat that that team endured was just one variable in what made them successful.

Simple military maxim...it's not stupid if it's effective. The opposite principle holds. It IS stupid if it's ineffective

6, 7, 8, 9 year olds sitting in 87 degree classrooms with windows that don't open and little fans is ineffective

The reason why we are talking about this is because NJ schools end the school year too late into June. No school year should end in the 3rd week of June.

In PA, where I'm raising my kids to keep out of both Penn State and State Pen, most districts end their school year between June 7-12. In my district, school was supposed to end 6/8 this year, but ended up closing Monday 6/12 because we had a couple snow days. We even had school on Monday January 2 this year, the federal new years holiday. We go back the last week of August, but I like that because Labor Day is a totally useless holiday anyway. We still have Xmas break, Easter break and some holidays are in-service days and still manage to get out in early June (but first day of deer season - a Monday in PA - has not been a day off for the past few years). Down South, schools end before Memorial Day (but go back in early-mid August). In Maryland, school ended this week, but because of a law passed last summer to make Ocean City MD businesses happy, they go back after Labor Day. NJ needs to end school the first week of June. Cut some holidays out, make the teachers go to their November convention on a weekend instead of weekdays.

What do you mean did parents do?

Our district's after care program ran as usual.

So instead of sweating in class, they sweat in the cafe or the gym.

Kids who bus went home.

There seem to be two main arguments in this thread.

1. Kids are soft and should sit in school in 90 degree heat and suffer like we did

2. Administrators are cherry picking days off and wasting valuable teaching time.

Point 2 is silly, because in this weather they don't "teach" them anything. They turn the lights off and watch movies or go to the gym and sit in one of the two or three air conditioned spaces.

Point 1 is the age old "we had it so much tougher" argument.

Having it rougher doesn't equate to better training. If it did, college football programs would run August camp like Bear Bryant ran the Junction Boys. But most of us are smart enough to know that the torture in the heat that that team endured was just one variable in what made them successful.

Simple military maxim...it's not stupid if it's effective. The opposite principle holds. It IS stupid if it's ineffective

6, 7, 8, 9 year olds sitting in 87 degree classrooms with windows that don't open and little fans is ineffective
I learned perfectly fine in those conditions. I guess the younger generation, at least in your neck of the woods, can't cut it.
:)

I love the obsession with the wussification of America on this board, it's one of my favorite things. Sadly, the generation that appears to be the ones in charge of making all the decisions that are 'wussifying' our kids is the same generation that was raised to be tough as nails. I'm not sure how that happened. Perhaps all that suffering as kids broke us.

To be fair, they had little time to raise their children as they needed to concentrate on causing the Great Recession and then blaming millenials for it.

Reactions: RedSpartan

The OP does not even have children and given his other, shall we say, material are we to expect familiarity with anything you are saying?

The reason why we are talking about this is because NJ schools end the school year too late into June. No school year should end in the 3rd week of June.

In PA, where I'm raising my kids to keep out of both Penn State and State Pen, most districts end their school year between June 7-12. In my district, school was supposed to end 6/8 this year, but ended up closing Monday 6/12 because we had a couple snow days. We even had school on Monday January 2 this year, the federal new years holiday. We go back the last week of August, but I like that because Labor Day is a totally useless holiday anyway. We still have Xmas break, Easter break and some holidays are in-service days and still manage to get out in early June (but first day of deer season - a Monday in PA - has not been a day off for the past few years). Down South, schools end before Memorial Day (but go back in early-mid August). In Maryland, school ended this week, but because of a law passed last summer to make Ocean City MD businesses happy, they go back after Labor Day. NJ needs to end school the first week of June. Cut some holidays out, make the teachers go to their November convention on a weekend instead of weekdays.
All well and good, but I'm not sure how going back to school in mid August vs staying late in June changes anything regarding hot days in school, except to make the problem more common.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT