ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt raids CUSA, could CUSA fold?

Wonder if Army might consider it? If they got Army, New Mexico State, UMass, and UConn for only football, they might be able to get some non-football schools for everything else.Some 1-AA schools have talked about moving up, Sam Houston State,Illinois State, Missouri State,North Dakota State, South Dakota State,SUNY, Tarleton State,West Florida from Division 2. Maybe someone from the Big South? Some of the bigger black colleges, like Tennessee State or Hampton? Maybe they could pull a couple schools out of the MAC who are tired of playing their football games on Tuesdays at 1:30 just to get on ESPN. Maybe they could bring in Two schools from the Tidewater area—William AND Mary ?

Last edited:
I think the Big 12 will be fine when the dust clears. They got the four best athletic programs that were out there. I still think they go for Memphis at some point too. Conference USA, if still standing, has been hammered on all sides. I have lost track of how many schools have or will move because of the Oklahoma/Texas decision, but a lot of schools should be thanking them. They have really improved their situations. Others, who have put a lot of money and resources into their programs like Western Kentucky and Florida International, must be devastated. Some of these schools have to be VERY happy with recent events. Schools like UCF, UTSA, UNCC started their football programs 20 minutes ago and are in pretty good spots now.

And the insanity continues. At some point colleges will have to be forced to agree to a strong central organization like every other sport that organizes leagues that make sense and polices members. College sports are an unstable mess at the highest levels, and it's all driven by football and to a lesser degree basketball, and money.

Reactions: czxqa
And the insanity continues. At some point colleges will have to be forced to agree to a strong central organization like every other sport that organizes leagues that make sense and polices members. College sports are an unstable mess at the highest levels, and it's all driven by football and to a lesser degree basketball, and money.
I have seen several articles talking about how in the future, we will be getting away from “All sports” conferences. Schools will be in a conference for football and basketball, but the non-revenue sports will be in more localized conferences. It makes no sense to be flying kids 1,000 miles for track, cross-country, soccer, swimming, golf, etc.

Wonder if Army might consider it? If they got Army, New Mexico State, UMass, and UConn for only football, they might be able to get some non-football schools for everything else.Some 1-AA schools have talked about moving up, Sam Houston State,Illinois State, Missouri State,North Dakota State, South Dakota State,SUNY, Tarleton State,West Florida from Division 2. Maybe someone from the Big South? Some of the bigger black colleges, like Tennessee State or Hampton? Maybe they could pull a couple schools out of the MAC who are tired of playing their football games on Tuesdays at 1:30 just to get on ESPN. Maybe they could bring in Two schools from the Tidewater area—William AND Mary ?
Why would any of those FCS schools move up to an unstable conference that could fold at anytime, esp NDSU/HBCU? They can get the same paycheck games where they’re at now while still have a chance at a FCS NC instead of going to the Newark Schools Stadium Bowl at 6-6.

Why would any of those FCS schools move up to an unstable conference that could fold at anytime, esp NDSU/HBCU? They can get the same paycheck games where they’re at now while still have a chance at a FCS NC instead of going to the Newark Schools Stadium Bowl at 6-6.
Why do people with one kid buy a Ford Excursion and a house with four bedrooms and a three car garage ? Just so they can tell people. lol

Another possibility is that the NCAA has reduced the number of transition years for Division 3 schools to jump to Division 1 from 12 to 5. Have no idea if someone like Rowan might take a chance.

Why do people with one kid buy a Ford Excursion and a house with four bedrooms and a three car garage ? Just so they can tell people. lol
And then people wonder why those teams are non existent when they move up to FBS.

C-USA is trying to replace them with FCS teams, i don't think this is going to work, their TV contract is up soon and no way in hell they will get paid the same.

Reactions: MozRU
What happens when 90% of college football programs are "D1" and the rest are D3? Are you truly D1? There isn't enough D1 talent. Or is there....iiiiiiiiiiif everyone is D1?

Who's on first?

Most D1-FCS schools are in no position to move up. JMU Is ready. NDSU and SDSU are, Delaware maybe. Montana and Montana State maybe. That’s really about it, maybe one or two others. Geography isn’t a friend to a few of these, though.

the combination of fan support, budget, facilities is pretty good at those schools. Just about every other D1-FCS school is where they belong.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Most D1-FCS schools are in no position to move up. JMU Is ready. NDSU and SDSU are, Delaware maybe. Montana and Montana State maybe. That’s really about it, maybe one or two others. Geography isn’t a friend to a few of these, though.

the combination of fan support, budget, facilities is pretty good at those schools. Just about every other D1-FCS school is where they belong.
Shoot, most C USA, Sun Belt, and other G5 teams should be/ should’ve stayed FCS.

I believe Army dropped out of CUSA in the first place because they want to control their own scheduling better.

Reactions: colbert17
I believe Army dropped out of CUSA in the first place because they want to control their own scheduling better.
Yes, but that conference is MUCH smaller now. I think as of now, they are down to only five colleges.

Yes, but that conference is MUCH smaller now. I think as of now, they are down to only five colleges.
yes but they would need to add 3 more teams to reach the requisite conference number, so that would take up 8 of Army's game slots already. I doubt they'd want this given that the games they book are specifically based on recruiting cadets.

yes but they would need to add 3 more teams to reach the requisite conference number, so that would take up 8 of Army's game slots already. I doubt they'd want this given that the games they book are specifically based on recruiting cadets.
I believe the minimum number of schools needed is 6, not 8. Read that in a recent article. So that would give them plenty of OOC games, seven, to schedule Air Force, Navy, plus five more. The other thing to remember is that the caliber of teams is not what it was, which should help cut down on injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown

All about facilities. JMU has ridiculous facilities for a 1AA/small conference program

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Unlike other conferences, the Sun Belt's business model all along has been to go after the best available programs, not markets.

Reactions: bigmatt718
With rumors of WKU and MTSU potentially in the MAC's crosshairs, the C-USA is really going to have to build a new conference from scratch.

Meanwhile, JMU's Board of Visitors is meeting right now to consider the move to the Sun Belt. Virginia law requires that a move from FCS to FBS get approval from the General Assembly's Intercollegiate Athletics Review Commission, which won't meet until next Friday (apparently there's a big election between now and then??)

With rumors of WKU and MTSU potentially in the MAC's crosshairs, the C-USA is really going to have to build a new conference from scratch.

Meanwhile, JMU's Board of Visitors is meeting right now to consider the move to the Sun Belt. Virginia law requires that a move from FCS to FBS get approval from the General Assembly's Intercollegiate Athletics Review Commission, which won't meet until next Friday (apparently there's a big election between now and then??)
I have no idea why Temple won’t go to the MAC for all sports. Fwiw, it’s the most stable G5 conference aside from Mountain West and all schools are driving distance/ short flights.

I think the Big 12 will be fine when the dust clears. They got the four best athletic programs that were out there. I still think they go for Memphis at some point too. Conference USA, if still standing, has been hammered on all sides. I have lost track of how many schools have or will move because of the Oklahoma/Texas decision, but a lot of schools should be thanking them. They have really improved their situations. Others, who have put a lot of money and resources into their programs like Western Kentucky and Florida International, must be devastated. Some of these schools have to be VERY happy with recent events. Schools like UCF, UTSA, UNCC started their football programs 20 minutes ago and are in pretty good spots now.
Yes, B12 did get the best 4 options available - no question. There are a lot of metrics you can run and in almost every case - the best 4 were picked.

that said... they are barely P5... oh, they will probably stay "in the club" and can thank The Alliance for that.. I wonder of the ADs of the little8 (who got jilted by OU and UT) learned any lessons...I doubt it.

After the steers and land thieves leave the b12, it becomes a defacto G5 conference…there isn’t enough polish or gold spray paint to make that turd look any prettier. A pretty good basketball conference? Sure, but that’s not what makes a conference P v G - oddly enough this may be the best thing that happens to the baptists and tech/oSu….

Reactions: czxqa
Yes, B12 did get the best 4 options available - no question. There are a lot of metrics you can run and in almost every case - the best 4 were picked.

that said... they are barely P5... oh, they will probably stay "in the club" and can thank The Alliance for that.. I wonder of the ADs of the little8 (who got jilted by OU and UT) learned any lessons...I doubt it.
What lessons were the ADs of the leftovers supposed to learn? Next time when your conference bullies want to roll over you, offer not the least bit of resistance?

C-USA might be better off shutting down. I know that the people that work there and not at the schools will try everything to keep it together, but there is just no way in hell this is going to work. They have to see the writing on the wall. Even the FCS schools they were looking at are not accepting.

There's nothing the ADs or anyone could have done for Texas/OU. The B12 is making a lot less than the SEC (and B10 for that matter) and there's nothing they could have done to close the gap. If they want to leave they're going to leave.

The fact that they were 3rd in revenue was pretty good because intrinsically I think the ACC should be 3rd but Swofford screwed that up and compounded the mistake by locking them up even longer.

Money wise they won't be P5 anymore but access wise as of yet I've seen nothing that will change. In any expanded playoff, the B12 will get an autobid so that's good for them and an opportunity for their old and new schools to raise their profiles without OU (not Texas really) standing in the way of playoff bids.

Reactions: vkj91
ACC was far more concern with making as hard as possible for any of them to leave than trying to get the best TV deal.

PAC-12 TV deal, was at the time the biggest in college history, .... until everyone else deals were up and everyone got a lot more money.

What lessons were the ADs of the leftovers supposed to learn? Next time when your conference bullies want to roll over you, offer not the least bit of resistance?
Go do some more homework.... this was all triggered around the SEC/B12 acting like BMOC with the playoff expansion all while the SEC was backdooring the b12 the entire time... and The Alliance stepped in to shut everything down (and saved the B12 from complete breakup). for a decade the B12 was letting UT be first amongst equals rather than planning for the inevitable break-up. B12 was living in a fantasy of the past where they were still relevant and acting like they were just like the SEC (when in reality, they are barely the PAC12)....., Plan for the future, don't live on your past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT