ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt raids CUSA, could CUSA fold?

Wonder if Army might consider it? If they got Army, New Mexico State, UMass, and UConn for only football, they might be able to get some non-football schools for everything else.Some 1-AA schools have talked about moving up, Sam Houston State,Illinois State, Missouri State,North Dakota State, South Dakota State,SUNY, Tarleton State,West Florida from Division 2. Maybe someone from the Big South? Some of the bigger black colleges, like Tennessee State or Hampton? Maybe they could pull a couple schools out of the MAC who are tired of playing their football games on Tuesdays at 1:30 just to get on ESPN. Maybe they could bring in Two schools from the Tidewater area—William AND Mary ?
Army has no interest

You're focusing on the last 14 months.... I'm talking about what they did over the last 14 years... thinking they were SEC2.1 when they were nothing more than AAC2.0
Ok then what should they have done over the last 14 years to prevent what happened from happening? The answer is nothing. They all beat to the drum of Texas/OU (and really just Texas because OU just follows them too for the most part)...and they appeased them pretty much at every turn. Beyond that that what to do for the other ADs? Frankly, it's about the same in the B10 with OSU/Michigan...they set the agenda I'm sure. You know there was talk of expanding before this departure and handful of years ago and the schools were open to it but who put the kibosh on it? Texas/OU so as usual they went along.

The only possible thing that could have averted this was not something from within but something from the outside but again Texas roadblock. If Larry Scott's play to add 6 from the B12 (Texas/A&M/OU/TT/OK St and cant' remember the last school) worked it might have averted this. But again Texas' LHN stopped it and ESPN actually gave that to them in order stop it (which was said by former ESPN prez John Skipper in a radio interview). If Texas wasn't utterly selfish that could've gotten done but it didn't because of that and there's nothing the other 8 and even OU could do about it. I remember even the OU prez saying something along the lines of we didn't start this but we'll finish it...intimating a move of their own but what happened? Nothing...they stayed right by Texas.

There's nothing any of the schools could have done...they marched to the beat of the Texas drummer. I'm open ears and willing to listen…tell me what they could have done to stop Texas/OU from leaving in any moment over history. They essentially went along with everything Texas wanted so what more can you do than that?

Last edited:
Ok then what should they have done over the last 14 years to prevent what happened from happening? The answer is nothing. They all beat to the drum of Texas/OU (and really just Texas because OU just follows them too for the most part)...and they appeased them pretty much at every turn. Beyond that that what to do for the other ADs? Frankly, it's about the same in the B10 with OSU/Michigan...they set the agenda I'm sure. You know there was talk of expanding before this departure and handful of years ago and the schools were open to it but who put the kibosh on it? Texas/OU so as usual they went along.

The only possible thing that could have averted this was not something from within but something from the outside but again Texas roadblock. If Larry Scott's play to add 6 from the B12 (Texas/A&M/OU/TT/OK St and cant' remember the last school) worked it might have averted this. But again Texas' LHN stopped it and ESPN actually gave that to them in order stop it (which was said by former ESPN prez John Skipper in a radio interview). If Texas wasn't utterly selfish that could've gotten done but it didn't because of that and there's nothing the other 8 and even OU could do about it. I remember even the OU prez saying something along the lines of we didn't start this but we'll finish it...intimating a move of their own but what happened? Nothing...they stayed right by Texas.

There's nothing any of the schools could have done...they marched to the beat of the Texas drummer. I'm open ears and willing to listen…tell me what they could have done to stop Texas/OU from leaving in any moment over history. They essentially went along with everything Texas wanted so what more can you do than that?
where, in any of my comments did I imply they could have done something differently to keep Texas? You are simply arguing about something completely different than my point.

where, in any of my comments did I imply they could have done something differently to keep Texas? You are simply arguing about something completely different than my point.
This is your original comment:

that said... they are barely P5... oh, they will probably stay "in the club" and can thank The Alliance for that.. I wonder of the ADs of the little8 (who got jilted by OU and UT) learned any lessons...I doubt it.

Lessons about what exactly were the other 8 ADs suppose to learn if you're not referring to lessons about how to have kept Texas/OU on board? What lessons do you mean then?

FIU, UTEP and Louisiana Tech are so screwed. Their conference has been picked over and nobody wants them.
They are kind of like UConn. If their football programs disappeared no one would really know

Reactions: czxqa
FIU, UTEP and Louisiana Tech are so screwed. Their conference has been picked over and nobody wants them.
This is old hat for Louisiana Tech. They were in the WAC when that conference fell apart

I believe Army dropped out of CUSA in the first place because they want to control their own scheduling better.
That was code for we are getting pounded in this conference and need to leave. The original C-USA was a true power conference and in many ways, on par with the original Big East. Army couldn't keep up with the level of competition. The C-USA of today is not even a shell of its original self or even the several versions since. A C-USA made up of the five left overs and some mix or UMass, UConn, Liberty, NMSU or a couple of FCS call-ups is more along Army's level.

Reactions: rurichdog
That was code for we are getting pounded in this conference and need to leave. The original C-USA was a true power conference and in many ways, on par with the original Big East. Army couldn't keep up with the level of competition. The C-USA of today is not even a shell of its original self or even the several versions since. A C-USA made up of the five left overs and some mix or UMass, UConn, Liberty, NMSU or a couple of FCS call-ups is more along Army's level.
The number of former C-USA members that ended up P5 is fairly impressive. Even more so if you consider AAC of the last couple years "P6".

• Cincinatti
  • Louisville
  • Houston
  • TCU
  • Central Florida
And if you include basketball, where Big East is included, add on

• Depaul
  • Marquette

This is old hat for Louisiana Tech. They were in the WAC when that conference fell apart
and apparently they burned their bridges with Louisiana-Lafayette and Monroe, so both of them blocked any chance for them to be invited to SBC

WAC at one point was considered a power conference before a chunk of their best members left and formed MWC and then others followed. CUSA basically is the southeastern version of this.

Reactions: rurichdog
Except Army at this point probably rather stick to being indy. CUSA offers them very little of the recruiting territories that they desire. Army isn't looking to be in a NY6 bowl as much as recruit.

and apparently they burned their bridges with Louisiana-Lafayette and Monroe, so both of them blocked any chance for them to be invited to SBC

WAC at one point was considered a power conference before a chunk of their best members left and formed MWC and then others followed. CUSA basically is the southeastern version of this.

The original WAC included Arizona and Arizona State. Utah and BYU were in the conference along with a bunch of schools from the current Mountain West. BYU even won the mythical national championship in 1984.

Reactions: AntiG and rurichdog
They were bad but that isn't why they left. Scheduling at both Army and Navy is very important. Both Academy's have classes and routines Saturday until noon. Navy has a separate TV deal with CBS Sports which allows them to have a big say in the schedule times. Most Navy home games start at 3:30. They had their first noon game just a few weeks ago. First time in years. Army has a similar deal with CBS Sports.

Reactions: AntiG
The original WAC included Arizona and Arizona State. Utah and BYU were in the conference along with a bunch of schools from the current Mountain West. BYU even won the mythical national championship in 1984.
coached by the late, great LaVell Edwards, one of the pioneering practitioners of the Bill Walsh/West Coast Offense

"CAA banning JMU from championships is indictment of college sports"

How about do all the prelim work before accepting an invite and then accept it officially in the summer and leave by the fall. Get them on a technicality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
The Virginia General Assembly's Intercollegiate Athletics Review Commission unanimously voted to approve JMU's request to reclassify to FBS and join the Sun Belt Conference. Expect an official announcement soon and a presser Monday or Tuesday.

JMU made a good case presenting all of its athletics revenues and expenses, anticipated future revenues and expenses, and had the President of ODU there to speak in support of JMU's move. Well done!

Onward and upward! Go Dukes!

SCARED_OF_FAKE_DOG.0.gif

softball-diving.gif

football_memories_lead.jpg

73xnqQ.gif

softball-letsgo.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT