ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Thread - Portal Now Open (Chol, Simpson, Wolf, Mag, Cliff, Griffiths)

If Gavin leaves, do you really blame him? Again there needs to be major changes on the offensive end with Pike.

Blame him? No, but it’s so odd that there seems to be a significant percentage of fans who believe it’s perfectly normal to jump at money over everything else. I’m not saying it’s you but there’s value in learning, working your way up, developing long term relationships, etc. Yes, I get it, this isn’t your routine workplace, but flying out the door every 8-10 months for a new spot isn’t a positive way to develop.

And this is not a comment on guys like Cliff, who put in their years, and now are looking for one pay day. I get that.

Blame him? No, but it’s so odd that there seems to be a significant percentage of fans who believe it’s perfectly normal to jump at money over everything else. I’m not saying it’s you but there’s value in learning, working your way up, developing long term relationships, etc. Yes, I get it, this isn’t your routine workplace, but flying out the door every 8-10 months for a new spot isn’t a positive way to develop.

And this is not a comment on guys like Cliff, who put in their years, and now are looking for one pay day. I get that.

I would find it shocking if there’s a team out there who is looking to lay out NIL funds for a shooting guard who shot 32% from the floor overall and 28% from 3 last year. Oh yeah - and 60% from the FT line. I don’t give a crap about “potential”. Those are some ugly looking stats. He might have a great bounce back year but it’s also very possible he doesn’t pan out the way recruiting forecasters predicted he would.

It’s the way of the world. Every year is going to be vastly different. There is no such thing as developing talent and a program anymore. Pikes entire strategy needs to change. He’s a program guy but those days are over. Embrace it and use it. Don’t get attached to any player or team. They likely won’t be here very long.

Yearly free agency.

I would find it shocking if there’s a team out there who is looking to lay out NIL funds for a shooting guard who shot 32% from the floor overall and 28% from 3 last year. Oh yeah - and 60% from the FT line. I don’t give a crap about “potential”. Those are some ugly looking stats. He might have a great bounce back year but it’s also very possible he doesn’t pan out the way recruiting forecasters predicted he would.
He will be a good player. You will regret saying that down the road.

College basketball is a joke. Not worth following anymore. Every year 5 guys transferring.

I agree

Even though having MOST of these guys transferring MIGHT end up a good thing for RU I still hate this

Not an enjoyable part of the game….at all.

Totally eroding my enjoyment of college basketball

Last edited:
It’s the way of the world. Every year is going to be vastly different. There is no such thing as developing talent and a program anymore. Pikes entire strategy needs to change. He’s a program guy but those days are over. Embrace it and use it. Don’t get attached to any player or team. They likely won’t be here very long.

Yearly free agency.
The perceived elite basketball programs will still get the best players with or without the NIL and the transfer portal.They have always been able to reload talent every season.Its teams like Rutgers that will suffer.

It is going to reach the point that Seinfeld joked about she we are rooting for laundry. First game of the season and you won't recognize 70% of the roster, rather than watching them develop over the years. Just that year's mercenaries.

Last edited:

Yearly free agency.

Believe this is 100% on point. I think about Pike and early newspaper articles about him calling his players on their birthdays and that always stuck with me because it is a testament to his loyalty and dedication to coaching and building relationships.

Unfortunately, we have moved into a space where the used car salesman will flourish.

The perceived elite basketball programs will still get the best players with or without the NIL and the transfer portal.They have always been able to reload talent every season.Its teams like Rutgers that will suffer.
Rhe only way that changes is with buying them. If Rutgers can figure out NIL on a grand scale they will have a chance. Signing Ace and Harper is a great sign, but that needs to happen more. If it does, there is money flowing to recruits.

Players leaving won't ruin my enjoyment of college basketball. A new batch will come in, and every season will be its own journey

Reactions: #1 RUFan
It’s all about the money. That’s it. Players will go anywhere as long as they are getting paid.

I imagine that’s often true. I don’t see Gavin Griffith commanding much NIL money from anywhere right now though. I know he was highly rated in high school but who would pay a premium for a guy coming off a season like his? There are plenty of proven players in the portal to choose from along with other unproven recruits that have “potential” who won’t command a NIL price tag. It just doesn’t make sense.

I said it before…they expect him to be a ‘shooter’ without running any plays for open shots (staggers, down screens, baseline to corner)…we literally run a ballscreen and hope someone makes a play every possession on offense…95% of this guys shots were contested this year..what ‘shooter’ wants to play like that?

Reactions: RUsojo
I said it before…they expect him to be a ‘shooter’ without running any plays for open shots (staggers, down screens, baseline to corner)…we literally run a ballscreen and hope someone makes a play every possession on offense…95% of this guys shots were contested this year..what ‘shooter’ wants to play like that?

Okay - you can believe that. Cam Spencer had no problem making 3s in our system. I’ll say it again - every fan on here would be furious if we were looking at giving a scholly to a portal kid with Gavin’s stats from another team for free. Now imagine we were throwing NIL at a kid like that. It’s nothing against Gavin and I could see him possibly having a bright future somewhere. But his net worth right now as a college player is close to zero because of his numbers from last season.

Reactions: NickRU714
Okay - you can believe that. Cam Spencer had no problem making 3s in our system. I’ll say it again - every fan on here would be furious if we were looking at giving a scholly to a portal kid with Gavin’s stats from another team for free. Now imagine we were throwing NIL at a kid like that. It’s nothing against Gavin and I could see him possibly having a bright future somewhere. But his net worth right now as a college player is close to zero because of his numbers from last season.
Yeah he won’t leaving for NIL…it would actually be for basketball in his case

I imagine that’s often true. I don’t see Gavin Griffith commanding much NIL money from anywhere right now though. I know he was highly rated in high school but who would pay a premium for a guy coming off a season like his? There are plenty of proven players in the portal to choose from along with other unproven recruits that have “potential” who won’t command a NIL price tag. It just doesn’t make sense.

I guarantee a lot of teams. They look at his stroke. They watch film. They see how our offense is a mess and see a 6'8" guy who has handles and has that stroke and believe they can use him a lot better than Rutgers does with such a putrid offensive system. And he's already getting NIL. The only question is will someone give him more.

I guarantee a lot of teams. They look at his stroke. They watch film. They see how our offense is a mess and see a 6'8" guy who has handles and has that stroke and believe they can use him a lot better than Rutgers does with such a putrid offensive system. And he's already getting NIL. The only question is will someone give him more.
What gets me is that he must have known the “offense” we run. We never ran plays for Cam either and yet Gavin still wanted to be here. At least, Cam had three years under his belt and already had success scoring at D1. Perhaps he thought he’d get the defensive knowledge that would help him but offensively he was left to sink or swim…_and we all know what happened.

Can you name one example of a kid who shot 32% from the field as a frosh moving on to collect a bigger check somewhere else? Again - I’m not seeing it. Derek has a beautiful stroke from the FT line too. This is no guarantee that he’ll be a stud at this level. Jaden Jones could really shoot in HS too. Not every recruit pans out. Would be a huge risk to throw money at him.

This is not a kid who adds value on D, on the glass or otherwise. If anything he went from sub par to closer to servicable in these areas. Reason for optimism - sure. Reason to double down? No way.

I am not going to do any research on other players nor is that even available. NIL money isn't reported.

I will only say I guarantee you a second year 6'8" kid who can dribble and has that stroke, with what he did on the AAU scene will be very coveted.

One can easily look at the terrible offense Rutgers runs and see yea, no wonder the kids stats suck. Watch what happens if he leaves.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Spencer didn't take enough shots at Rutgers.He needed to score more than 14 points per game.

I am not going to do any research on other players nor is that even available. NIL money isn't reported.

I will only say I guarantee you a second year 6'8" kid who can dribble and has that stroke, with what he did on the AAU scene will be very coveted.

One can easily look at the terrible offense Rutgers runs and see yea, no wonder the kids stats suck. Watch what happens if he leaves.
For the record, I am not making any predictions on what kind of year he will have as a sophomore. Lots of kids make a big jump. It’s certainly possible.

His poor play cannot be entirely blamed on the surrounding cast though. I’m sorry but his starting point was poor play against really bad low majors in many games where we won easily sans a great game vs BU. He improved as the season continued, but still. You can’t ignore the comprehensive picture. He entered as a very poor defender. He didn’t shoot well, rebound we’ll or do anything absent a play here or there to impress in games where he shouldn’t have needed plays designed special for him. That’s the reality.

This!

Gavin can play. Difficult for a kid with his attributes to score effectively and efficiently when there is no motion or screens designed to get him open. Can’t have the offensive design bringing 3-5 players away from the basket at all times. Get rid of the high on ball screen and make the offensive flow down hill to the basket penetration and pop and see what that kind of action can do for a spot up shooters .

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
His defending needs to be better. But you can't look at that mess of an offense and say yea, it's the kid who can't play.

No one in that offense was good at anything. The entire team sucked on offense.

This!

Gavin can play. Difficult for a kid with his attributes to score effectively and efficiently when there is no motion or screens designed to get him open. Can’t have the offensive design bringing 3-5 players away from the basket at all times. Get rid of the high on ball screen and make the offensive flow down hill to the basket penetration and see what that kind of action can do for a spot up shooters .

Our poor post play is a huge contributing factor. Cliff got the ball down low and either made out of control moves to the basket throwing up prayers or tried to get through double teams not passing out of it. Basketball is a very easy game. It's five guys with minimal allowable contact. It's a scoring game by design. But we made it look near impossible to get the ball in the basket or even generate open looks with any consistency.

I've said it before. Either the coaches don't understand offense which I have a hard time believing, they don't have interest in focusing on it, or the kids don't hear them when they are teaching. These guys come in with low IQ's due to the AAU system being so one on one and lack of fundamental teaching and more game play, but still. These guys should be able to pick up concepts very easy at this level, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Anyone that saw Gavin's last couple of games would pay top dollar. Hopefully Rutgers has a nice package for him. I feel like he will put in a tremendous amount of work in the off-season. The way he added muscle during the season could see him starting at the 4 next season.

Our poor post play is a huge contributing factor. Cliff got the ball down low and either made out of control moves to the basket throwing up prayers or tried to get through double teams not passing out of it. Basketball is a very easy game. It's five guys with minimal allowable contact. It's a scoring game by design. But we made it look near impossible to get the ball in the basket or even generate open looks with any consistency.

I've said it before. Either the coaches don't understand offense which I have a hard time believing, they don't have interest in focusing on it, or the kids don't hear them when they are teaching. These guys come in with low IQ's due to the AAU system being so one on one and lack of fundamental teaching and more game play, but still. These guys should be able to pick up concepts very easy at this level, but it just doesn't seem to happen.
This team had one player that was projected to start this year. And that was cliff who is actually a negative on offense if he isn't surrounded by good offensive players. Then mag and j will entered the lineup and the team looked good even without Spencer and mulcahy. Then mags injuries flared up and the team was once again terrible. It's not fair to judge offensive coaching ability based on this roster. They were all supposed to be backups. And Griffiths got his shots fine towards the end of the year once his confidence and physical conditioning improved.

Been saying for years. The reliance on AAU has lead to some of the most fundamentally unsound basketball players. We have great athletes with very low basketball iq’s. It’s all games and tournaments with personal trainers on the side with very little tam concept instruction.

Anyone that saw Gavin's last couple of games would pay top dollar. Hopefully Rutgers has a nice package for him. I feel like he will put in a tremendous amount of work in the off-season. The way he added muscle during the season could see him starting at the 4 next season.

If anyone is willing to pay the kid “top dollar” based on anything he did last season well he should jump on it and cash in immediately. Rutgers should not be ponying up over bringing in proven portal players though. We can’t afford to go all in on him when next year is our big chance with Dylan and Ace. We need proven players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT