ADVERTISEMENT

US News Undergraduate ranking (2022) of all P-5 Universities

My guess is they must recalibrate. For example my HS IIRC was on a scale where 4.6 was A+ and say you got an A+ in an AP or Honors course it would count as a 5.6.

When I applied to law school, my RU GPA was also reweighted because RU doesn't use minus grades. While a B+ at RU was 3.5 in the national scale it was 3.3. That is actually another great reason to go to RU that no one realizes, lol. Where as 90 average at some schools would be a 3.67 at RU it's a 4.0.
Do you think they can do that for all students?

Rutgers acceptance rate is 60% vs FSU at 36%.
3.73 vs 4.07 GPA
1300 vs 1270 Sat
FSU must be gaming the GPA here. I believe their state scaling system does to 4.0 for an A. No way there average student is honors and .37 better than the average RU student who does better on the SAT which is more uniform and less subject to gaming.

I have done deep dives on this for many years and as in sports,you are what your record is. Without giving all of my numerous findings,class size,the paucity of alumni giving and the academic reputation of Rutgers among the eastern elite Provosts and Presidents have yet again done Rutgers in. It saddens me because I do countless college fairs in New England on behalf of Rutgers and US News is the proverbial bible. Northeastern has worked the criteria with a consultant and it has paid off. UConn can't hold on to a President and can't hold an academic candle to Rutgers but it has a strong perception. I continue to try to make a substantive difference here but it is tough sledding.
A Research oriented State University has a completely different mission than private liberal arts schools, which invalidates the comparison. This is just another example of how continuing a theological school's tradition of keeping a wealthy slave owner's name has affected our rankings.

Georgia’s rise has been pretty gradual. I don’t think they are gaming things.

Athens is also one of the great American college towns. They have a lot going for them.

What happens in this rankings is we're "behind" the aforementioned like .0001 in some metric.

Generally I'd consider Cuse/Maryland/Lehigh peer schools.

Northeastern and FSU (55 lol) are clearly gaming things.

Florida at 28 is also a stretch.

My guess is UF and FSU draw a lot of OOS applicants but then they take mostly Florida kids and it drives the numbers up. Also their tuition for even OOS students is pretty low which probably helps in the metrics.
And Alumni giving...

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Georgia’s rise has been pretty gradual. I don’t think they are gaming things.

Athens is also one of the great American college towns. They have a lot going for them.

I would consider UGA and UF as both peer schools academically to RU. Other than Vandy and soon to be Texas, it's otherwise generally slackers in the SEC.

I would consider UGA and UF as both peer schools academically to RU. Other than Vandy and soon to be Texas, it's otherwise generally slackers in the SEC.
Surprised UGA isn't in the AAU. They're a very good school in SEC Land. Also I'd add that A&M and Mizzou aren't total clown colleges/glorified community colleges down there.

We're not behind Cuse, Maryland, Lehigh, or Northeastern academically, or tied with UConn academically. Northeastern being #49 is the biggest load of shit out there.
disagree

I will say that we are definitely ahead of cuse, MD, Uconn and BC nut NEU is an outstanding school and their academic teams consistently beat MIT and Harvard in the competitions.

They excel at playing the game well.

Would be nice if we could figure out how to crack the top 50 again.
we should do what is necessary for RU NB. Get rid of rolling admissions, stop focusing on diversity, focus on merit, research, funded chairs, class size etc. you know, the things a school should be doing to bring in money for better academic facilities and professors.

If FSU's acceptance rate is that low, they are getting every warm body to apply, even beyond the spike associated with standardized testing waiver for COVID causing app numbers to rise, and they probably waived their application fee for many.
it's cheap, parents can prepay (something every school should allow) and every kid in the state applies.

our acceptance rate and rolling admissions hurt, a lot!

it's cheap, parents can prepay (something every school should allow) and every kid in the state applies.

our acceptance rate and rolling admissions hurt, a lot!
SAT profiles at U. Florida and Florida State are about where Rutgers-New Brunswick is. And I would be surprised if they don't use rolling admissions, too.; it's a necessity at a big school. I do agree that prepayment is a wonderful idea that every school should use.

SAT profiles at U. Florida and Florida State are about where Rutgers-New Brunswick is. And I would be surprised if they don't use rolling admissions, too.; it's a necessity at a big school. I do agree that prepayment is a wonderful idea that every school should use.

I think Florida has a program that allows for money to be set aside for a state school when a child is born. I believe Illinois and Georgia have similar programs, and probably a bunch of other states.

Like you mentioned earlier in the thread, RU doesn't have the pull in the legislature that many other schools have in their states. Also, we're literally the last state to name a major public U so our history in the field is short despite being one of two non-Ivies to be older than the US itself.

Hopefully that changes. It was really nice to see that after Ash was fired that all of a sudden sticking up for RU Athletics became politically a win.

18 states allow you to prepay and if the child does not go to in state school, the money is returned

NJ should have this

Reactions: bigmatt718
18 states allow you to prepay and if the child does not go to in state school, the money is returned

NJ should have this
The University of California has just adopted "cohort" tuition so that students and parents pay a constant tuition during their time at the school. That's a step in the right direction: Rutgers should do that.

Northeastern being #49 is the biggest load of shit out there.
Plenty of gullible affluent parents seem to think sending your kid to college in Boston is sort of like getting your kid in Harvard.
And we know the target audience of these rankings.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Plenty of gullible affluent parents seem to think sending your kid to college in Boston is sort of like getting your kid in Harvard.
And we know the target audience of these rankings.
Academically, NEU is at best 6th in the Boston area behind Harvard, MIT, Boston U, BC, and Tufts.

Probably 7th- Brandeis is definitely ahead
That's probably right. Brandeis has lots of issues. It was founded in the 1940s to be the "Jewish Harvard" at a time when Ivy League schools had quotas for Jews. The quotas are gone now, and so Brandeis is searching for a reason to be. It still attracts a lot of Jewish students, and it has a good Jewish Studies program, but it's not clear that's enough. It's in Waltham, which is a 25-minute T ride to downtown Boston -- OK, but not great for someone who really wants to be in Boston.

That's probably right. Brandeis has lots of issues. It was founded in the 1940s to be the "Jewish Harvard" at a time when Ivy League schools had quotas for Jews. The quotas are gone now, and so Brandeis is searching for a reason to be. It still attracts a lot of Jewish students, and it has a good Jewish Studies program, but it's not clear that's enough. It's in Waltham, which is a 25-minute T ride to downtown Boston -- OK, but not great for someone who really wants to be in Boston.

I know a bunch of people who went there, at least 2 lawyers and one dentist I can think of. If I were to scratch my head more I probably had many law school classmates from there as well.

I see it is ranked 42, so even USNWR says it's better than Northeastern. I think right or wrong, it still has cache. I am not that old and I remember Northeastern having an average SAT in the 1100s and Brandeis in the 1300s so that will probably factor into the decisions of people hiring older than me. But yeah, it is probably more fun to be in Boston itself.

It's certainly interesting that Rutgers (among others) has a larger Jewish population than Brandeis. It's a different time than it was then. But even in high school- before even getting to college or law school- I remember learning about Justice Brandeis and the laboratory of the states. So his impact will be forever!

I sat by a guy at Rutgers Stadium for a while that had a kid who went to Emerson. The school was expensive, but the kid liked it, the parents liked it, and he wanted a small school.

I know a bunch of people who went there, at least 2 lawyers and one dentist I can think of. If I were to scratch my head more I probably had many law school classmates from there as well.

I see it is ranked 42, so even USNWR says it's better than Northeastern. I think right or wrong, it still has cache. I am not that old and I remember Northeastern having an average SAT in the 1100s and Brandeis in the 1300s so that will probably factor into the decisions of people hiring older than me. But yeah, it is probably more fun to be in Boston itself.

It's certainly interesting that Rutgers (among others) has a larger Jewish population than Brandeis. It's a different time than it was then. But even in high school- before even getting to college or law school- I remember learning about Justice Brandeis and the laboratory of the states. So his impact will be forever!
Rutgers-New Brunswick has over ten times the enrollment of Brandeis --no surprise that it has more Jewish students. I agree Brandeis has cache, but not as much as it once had.

Louis Brandeis is probably best remembered for the Brandeis brief -- a brief containing detailed statistical information about, say, women in the workforce. He was the first Jewish Supreme Court justice (1916, appointed by Woodrow Wilson), and his appointment was very controversial because of his alleged radicalism and because he was Jewish.

There is actually a law school named after Brandeis. It is at the University of Louisville. That may be surprising, but Brandeis was born in Louisville and it is where he is buried.

Probably 7th- Brandeis is definitely ahead
What one Tufts grad, and his friend, thinks of BU. NEU doesn't bear mentioning. It's 50 seconds in.
2009 Tufts commencement

download-15-768x432.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT