ADVERTISEMENT

UW Chancellor Blank on football's return: 'We’re all going to move together in the Big Ten'

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“There are a variety of things that have changes since we last made that decision … the council of presidents met Sunday night. We had a very good discussion. We’re continuing to look at those proposals. I’m not going to say anything more about it at this point. I will say we’re all going to move together in the Big Ten. We’re all going to play or not if we possibly can. This isn’t going to be a school by school thing.”

Reactions: LC-88 and Wolv RU
And that's the way it needs to be. Not every school and/or every school's representatives are going to agree on the outcome, however, it is critical that the Conference takes action one way or another with a unified direction.

As for all the conspiracy theories on what way this school or that school will vote, or which school will play or decide to opt out, I'll wait for reliable sources, such as the Wisconsin Chancellor, who are in the room and involved with these decisions as opposed to some dude on a boat, another dude running a professional sports morning show or an Ohio State fictional writer.

Well, it eviscerates all of the fear that was being put out there by sources that have been proven wrong time and time again that schools X, Y, and Z were going to not play while everyone else in the Big Ten does.

Exactly. Definitely a positive sign ...that the worst case scenario will not play out (conference voting yes, Rutgers going full Rutard and opting out.

“There are a variety of things that have changes since we last made that decision … the council of presidents met Sunday night. We had a very good discussion. We’re continuing to look at those proposals. I’m not going to say anything more about it at this point. I will say we’re all going to move together in the Big Ten. We’re all going to play or not if we possibly can. This isn’t going to be a school by school thing.”

But the 57 tweets you posted from sir yacht said otherwise.

That was a federal court not a pa state court--even more cloud

There’s that circus music again! Amazing how facocked one conference can look...and the commish seems AWOL...

Reactions: cicero grimes
Thank goodness. Saves Rutgers from being incredibly stupid. Also can someone go back and find all the people who’s “sources” said Rutgers and Northwestern were opting out while the rest play so we know who to never believe again

I think they are going to play. I think delaying the vote a couple days was to demonstrate that an excess of caution was used in the decision-making and that they weren't pressured into this.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RURM85
Thank goodness. Saves Rutgers from being incredibly stupid. Also can someone go back and find all the people who’s “sources” said Rutgers and Northwestern were opting out while the rest play so we know who to never believe again

Amazingly, the people that break college football stories for a living, and have track records of doing so accurately, have proven to have reliable sources on whether college football is played.

There’s that circus music again! Amazing how facocked one conference can look...and the commish seems AWOL...

This is where I think you are wrong. The Big Ten should have taken this deliberate and measured approach the first time around and then they wouldn't have looked like fools. It was not the decision they made that was wrong, it was everything about the process before and after it was made that pretty much could not have gone worse.

Reactions: cicero grimes
This is where I think you are wrong. The Big Ten should have taken this deliberate and measured approach the first time around and then they wouldn't have looked like fools. It was not the decision they made that was wrong, it was everything about the process before and after it was made that pretty much could not have gone worse.
This exactly. If the vote was not unanimous when taken not to play, they should have tabled it and said they are going to keep evaluating and decide later. There was no harm in waiting and no rush in early August to make a decision. They really screwed the pooch.

At least someone will save us from ourselves

At least one thing the Big 10 learned is to reflect a united front. There’s a still a lot more hopefully they learned from their dysfunction over the past 4-5 weeks.

Reactions: bac2therac
Well, it eviscerates all of the fear that was being put out there by sources that have been proven wrong time and time again that schools X, Y, and Z were going to not play while everyone else in the Big Ten does.

There was never any truth to those rumors, as I said multiple times. People should trust my sources more. Was right on Greg being our top target last summer and on him being hired after Ash was fired and was right on this. And we'll be playing football again soon, although I don't know the date. As Holloway clearly said, the testing was key (and I agree with him on that).

I always thought a lot of the B1Gs problems were legal considerations . The have the biggest programs, crowds, business partners etc - and also the deepest pockets. B1G has a B1G target on its back. People want to sue for not playing and then also for playing. If 100 people test positive after a game they might run to their Marvins. Have to thread the needle as they say. A lot of the skittish behavior isn't virus related but backstory stuff imo

Reactions: suggakane and LC-88
There was never any truth to those rumors, as I said multiple times. People should trust my sources more. Was right on Greg being our top target last summer and on him being hired after Ash was fired and was right on this. And we'll be playing football again soon, although I don't know the date. As Holloway clearly said, the testing was key (and I agree with him on that).
See, never a doubt, lol...

Reactions: Greg2020
See, never a doubt, lol...

I for one am shocked that a direct source who was in the meeting (from Wisconsin) was correct and those with no sources or who were just pushing someone's agenda were not correct.

Just interestingly, the Big Ten put on a clinic (like they've done with every major decision they've ever made until August 2020) on how to present a unified front as a group yesterday. Sources say there are at least some presidents that were fairly strongly not in favor of playing, but immediately once the decision was made they answered every question on BTN and had quotes from every school at every level supporting it, even from those who may not have agreed.

The Wisconsin Chancellor's statement from earlier this week seems well planned too -- to set the tone that things are going to be different this time. We're all together no matter what we do, which is the way things should always work in the Big Ten.

I for one am shocked that a direct source who was in the meeting (from Wisconsin) was correct and those with no sources or who were just pushing someone's agenda were not correct.

Just interestingly, the Big Ten put on a clinic (like they've done with every major decision they've ever made until August 2020) on how to present a unified front as a group yesterday. Sources say there are at least some presidents that were fairly strongly not in favor of playing, but immediately once the decision was made they answered every question on BTN and had quotes from every school at every level supporting it, even from those who may not have agreed.

The Wisconsin Chancellor's statement from earlier this week seems well planned too -- to set the tone that things are going to be different this time. We're all together no matter what we do, which is the way things should always work in the Big Ten.
Great post.

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT