ADVERTISEMENT

What year will B1G football start 10 game conference schedule?

What year will B1G football start 10 game conference schedule?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubigtimenow

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
With 18 (or more members) and the ability to add even more revenue while simultaneously developing conference rivalries by playing each other more frequently, will we soon/eventually move to 10 conference game seasons?
(For this question, 10 conference games in a season is either, A. 10 regular season games OR, B. 9 regular season games + 1 final conference game for everybody on championship weekend)
I think it’s going to happen “soon”, just not sure when.

Would love to see 10 game schedule in 2024 but I would expect 10 game schedule to go into effect in 2026.

Another question: when does SEC go to 9 game schedule? How do their fans tolerate an 8 game schedule?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think 2026 personally. B1G is adamant about ensuring that every team plays each either probably once every other year and at every B1G venue at least once every 4 years.

if 18 teams - Football with Two nine team divisions - 8 division games plus 1 crossover game

If 20 teams - Football with (4) 5- team Pod divisions - 4 Division games Plus (5) games against one of the divisions (rotate divisions each year)

The money is too important. Fox (ie also BTN) wants more content, not RU-Wagner. They will have 10 games and the FCS game will go away for everyone

I think 2026 personally. B1G is adamant about ensuring that every team plays each either probably once every other year and at every B1G venue at least once every 4 years.
We will find out how adamant they are about this idea that they presented. Something has to give, and from what little has been disseminated through the media, I’m not sure it has really been looked at.

I’ve mentioned in the past I think 10 games is a real possibility if they went this national route. I think it will happen but probably around new tv deal time like most things. So maybe 2030 or any tv deal expiration after that. It’s another carrot for the networks to keep paying.

Timetables are always difficult to predict.

• Love
I’ve mentioned in the past I think 10 games is a real possibility if they went this national route. I think it will happen but probably around new tv deal time like most things. So maybe 2030 or any tv deal expiration after that. It’s another carrot for the networks to keep paying.

Timetables are always difficult to predict.
Btw just as an example to this.

SEC was deciding between 8 and 9 games and they were split. A bunch of the schools wanted more money from ESPN for 9 and they got a nope. So that cooled any movement to 9 and they ended up at 8.

Will that change in the future before they come up for a new tv deal? I don’t know but that’s why I think tv deal time is always a good guess.

The money is too important. Fox (ie also BTN) wants more content, not RU-Wagner. They will have 10 games and the FCS game will go away for everyone
Actually a 10th conference game provides LESS content, if we assume that the foregone OOC game would have been a bought home game.

Quality of the content is another matter, as you note.

With 18 (or more members) and the ability to add even more revenue while simultaneously developing conference rivalries by playing each other more frequently, will we soon/eventually move to 10 conference game seasons?
(For this question, 10 conference games in a season is either, A. 10 regular season games OR, B. 9 regular season games + 1 final conference game for everybody on championship weekend)
I think it’s going to happen “soon”, just not sure when.
How are you adding more revenue with 10 games? You are not adding inventory. If anything you are making it less attractive. You are just ensuring more losses for conference teams and less bowl eligible teams. With ten games you will automatically average 5 losses per team compared to 4.5 or 4 with an 8 or 9 game schedule. It also eliminates all potential attractive out of conference games.

The math does work very well at 10. It allows for up to three protected rivals. The west coast teams can have their own unofficial pod.

If you have three protected rivals, you play each of the other 14 teams every other year.

If you have less then three protected rivals, then it's a little more frequent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT