ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your top 5 all-time favorite RU players?

The RUT

All American
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Thought this would be a cool post to take a trip down memory lane. What’s your top 5?

It’ll be cool to see the different eras in this thread and hear any specifics on the older players that get name dropped.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Quincy Douby - remember this dude getting essentially triple teamed and still dropping 25 points? Quincy’s range was the craziest thing I’ve seen. Also the tampering attempts by multiple blue blood programs and him sticking with RU.

2. Ollie Bailey - I forget which year it was, maybe his junior year(?) he took such a massive leap. OB would straight up kill the rim any chance he got. I follow his business page on Instagram, doing workouts and training younger players. Not sure what his story is with RU, but would love to see him come back to the RAC someday soon.

3. Corey Sanders - dude was just electric. Loved his fight and what he did for RU, even down big in games he looked like he would never accept defeat until the clock hit 0. I remember watching his hometown hoops videos when he first committed, they were great.

4. Hamady N’Daiye - elite shot blocker. Was he the last RU player to get drafted? He was another one that took a massive leap later in his career after being so raw early on. I believe it was the hook shot that he developed pretty well.

5. Ant Farmer - tough one here for me, but I sat next to Farmer’s dad when I was a kid going to the games. Used to hang out and talk with him all the time, just a great great guy. Ant didn’t blow up the stat sheet, but I felt he was generally a steady player on the court in a time that seemed so up and down in the program.

Let’s hear from the board.

Thought this would be a cool post to take a trip down memory lane. What’s your top 5?

It’ll be cool to see the different eras in this thread and hear any specifics on the older players that get name dropped.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Quincy Douby - remember this dude getting essentially triple teamed and still dropping 25 points? Quincy’s range was the craziest thing I’ve seen. Also the tampering attempts by multiple blue blood programs and him sticking with RU.

2. Ollie Bailey - I forget which year it was, maybe his junior year(?) he took such a massive leap. OB would straight up kill the rim any chance he got. I follow his business page on Instagram, doing workouts and training younger players. Not sure what his story is with RU, but would love to see him come back to the RAC someday soon.

3. Corey Sanders - dude was just electric. Loved his fight and what he did for RU, even down big in games he looked like he would never accept defeat until the clock hit 0. I remember watching his hometown hoops videos when he first committed, they were great.

4. Hamady N’Daiye - elite shot blocker. Was he the last RU player to get drafted? He was another one that took a massive leap later in his career after being so raw early on. I believe it was the hook shot that he developed pretty well.

5. Ant Farmer - tough one here for me, but I sat next to Farmer’s dad when I was a kid going to the games. Used to hang out and talk with him all the time, just a great great guy. Ant didn’t blow up the stat sheet, but I felt he was generally a steady player on the court in a time that seemed so up and down in the program.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Rashod Kent
2. Joel Salvi
3. Geo Baker
4. Hamady N'Diaye
5. Paul Mulcahy

James Bailey
Phil Sellers
Hollis Copeland
Mike Dabney
Roy Hinson
John Battle

Hard to do only that few
I agree. I think based on fan age, you almost have to name favorite players by era, but I realize there are many younger posters here who didn't see these guys play. It's good to see some names in this thread that I almost forgot - like Ollie Bailey. Loved the effort he always gave.

I'm going to try to do this by picking names across eras I have seen:

James Bailey
Roy Hinson
Quincy Douby
Geo Baker
Ron Harper Jr.

Leaving a ton of guys off the list, but trying to cover a bunch of eras. I have to put Geo and Ron on together because they believed and helped build what we are seeing now - which may be one of the best if not the best runs I have witnessed as a fan. I had to put both of them on the list.

Last edited:
Roy Hinson would be the biggest difference maker on any team in Rutgers history.
Add him to any of Pikes tournament teams including Covid cancellation year and your looking at final 4.
Probably same goes for Bailey
I loved Roy and he really developed over his four years. Would have had an even better NBA career if he didn't injure his knee.

James Bailey
Phil Sellers
Hollis Copeland
Mike Dabney
Roy Hinson
John Battle

Hard to do only that few
This is just about it
Bailey
Sellers
Hinson
Battle
Those for sure

Would throw in Douby for number five

In no particular order:

1. Quincy Douby - no need to explain
2. Geo and Ron Harper - they both get in under one entry as they ushered in the
revitalization of Rutgers Basketball.
3. Geoff Billet - bare bones, no nonsense kinda guy. You felt his shot always had a
chance at going in.
4. Keith Hughes - felt like he put the entire team on his back and carried us to an
A-10 title and into to the NCAAs for the first time in a while. RIP.
5. Dylan Harper - He's coming here and will vault us into the upper echelon with this next generation of recruits. Carnac the Magnificent says so.

youre GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
Geo
Ron
Caleb
Paul
Corey

Hon Mention: Mike Williams, Cliff, Myles Johnson, Yeboah, Myles Mack, Douby

I'm an old guy who came back to RU basketball starting in the Mike Rice, Eddie years

Last edited:

I’ll kick it off:

James Bailey
Rashod Kent
Charlie Weiler
Joel Salvi
Geo Baker

Geo
Ron
Caleb
Paul
Corey

Hon Mention: Mike Williams, Cliff, Myles Johnson, Yeboah, Myles Mack, Douby

I'm an old guy who came back to RU basketball starting in the Mike Rice, Eddie years
Interesting. Based on your selections and before I read your disclosure, I guessed you were a young buck.

1. Phil Sellers
  2. Bobby Lloyd
  3. James Bailey
  4. Corey Sanders
  5. Jim Valvano
Honorable Mention: Harper ; Geo; Bob Greacen; Steve Kaplan

Reactions: lne001 and cRURah
Interesting. Based on your selections and before I read your disclosure, I guessed you were a young buck.
Yeah it's weird how my interest dropped and returned in probably the worst times of all (Rice and Eddie), but glad I came back, now I'm obsessed

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Haven't seen any Kelvin Troy mentions yet...
now you have..(not in order)

Kelvin Troy
Geoff Billet
Roy Hinson
Eric Clark
and I can't pick a 5th between Corey, Paul, Ron, Darius Griffith(sp) Damon Santiago and of course SHERIDAN!

#24,996

Last edited:
Tough to limit to 5
Jammin James Bailey
Fast Eddie Jordan
Roy Hinson
John Battle
Quincy Douby
Geo, Myles, RHJ, Caleb & Paul from th present/ recent past

1. Myles Johnson - loved his growth as a player. He is B1G defensive player of the year if we had the same respect 3 years ago that we have now
2. Douby - most electric scorer I have seen in an RU jersey
3. Geo - the Brian Leonard to Rutgers basketball. True Pioneer
4. Myles Mack - had to deal with some awful teams and even worse coaching. He should’ve ran away from Rutgers at any point but stuck it out. Very underrated because of how bad those teams were (not his fault)
5. Hamedy - Just a flat out Dog. Turkey horrifying presence in the paint.

Honorable mention - Herve Lamazana

1 Keith Hughes
2 Quincy Douby
3 Geo Baker
4 Hamady N’diaye
5 Rashod Kent

A lot of Honorable Mentions:
Ron Harper Jr, Tom Savage, Craig Carter, Rick Dadika, Geoff Billet, Mike Jones, Caleb McConnell, Big Cliff, Chuck Weiler, Joel Salvi, Donnell Lumpkin, Ricky Shields, Corey Sanders

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I don’t count guys who transfer out but dahnty jones his sophomore year was great. Long pro career so he was prob the best player or one of that played here. Rashod Kent was amazing. Can’t imagine if he was 3 inches taller what he would have been.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I’m have to assume the OP question doesn’t include players you haven’t seen…multiple answers don’t include Hinson which is beyond laughable

I don’t count guys who transfer out but dahnty jones his sophomore year was great. Long pro career so he was prob the best player or one of that played here. Rashod Kent was amazing. Can’t imagine if he was 3 inches taller what he would have been.
Or if Rashod could have only shot at least 60 percent from the line to keep the other teams more honest.

It's not asking who the best five are, but the favorite five. I can't call someone I never watched a favorite of mine. So I have a big hole in viewing because we were rarely televised nationally in the 90s, and we were pretty bad some of those 2000s seasons until Pike turned it around.

I'll go with Kent, Mike Jones (!! - I liked his intensity on defense, and even my mom told me she liked watching him play), Douby, Harper, and... umm... Myles. If only Kent and Myles could hit 70% from the stripe.

Reactions: zappaa
It would be hard to pick five players from my 50 plus years of rooting for Rutgers, so I’ll list five players from when my friends and I first started watching the games from the first row under the basket as a freshman.
Great to see so many names I remember mentioned in this thread! Back then we got into the games by showing our student ID at the door, so I was able to see the games even after graduating, right into the 75/76 season (until I lost my student ID).

Bob Greacen
Lou Goetz
John McFadden
Doug Brittelle
Dick Stewart

My honorable mentions: John Somogyi, Gene Armstead, Steve Kaplan
Phil Sellers, James Bailey, Eddie Jordon and Mike Dabney

It would be hard to pick five players from my 50 plus years of rooting for Rutgers, so I’ll list five players from when my friends and I first started watching the games from the first row under the basket as a freshman.
Great to see so many names I remember mentioned in this thread! Back then we got into the games by showing our student ID at the door, so I was able to see the games even after graduating, right into the 75/76 season (until I lost my student ID).

Bob Greacen
Lou Goetz
John McFadden
Doug Brittelle
Dick Stewart

My honorable mentions: John Somogyi, Gene Armstead, Steve Kaplan
Phil Sellers, James Bailey, Eddie Jordon and Mike Dabney
I forgot about John Somogyi. He should have been on my list. ..... When he was at St Peters he was unstoppable and may have been the best scorer/outside shooter that Rutgers has ever had. I forget --did he transfer in from Notre Dame?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT