ADVERTISEMENT

With all the OOC bubble talk...why not a local tournament?

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Get
Rutgers
UConn
seton Hall
St. John’s
Syracuse

In a mini bubble ...play three games in 5 days some where in the New York/New Jersey area

Would create some interest ...and maybe lead to a regular tournament every December played at the garden (maybe in lieu of the ecac holiday festival )

Here's the thing.. is that mini-bubble a 5-day tourney or a 25-day tourney when you factor in possible positive CoVid tests afterward and locking down everyone at the tourney?

Get
Rutgers
UConn
seton Hall
St. John’s
Syracuse

In a mini bubble ...play three games in 5 days some where in the New York/New Jersey area

Would create some interest ...and maybe lead to a regular tournament every December played at the garden (maybe in lieu of the ecac holiday festival )
If that happened in the future, it would be like the old Holiday Festivals.

I heard Boeheim is trying to put together an MTE in the dome. Maybe we end up there. Could even end up playing Cuse twice like SHU did with ISU last year if we draw them in the ACC/B1G matchup

I don't think we would do that. We have so few OOC games we cannot play almost all 5 or 7 of them against teams like are in the Top 40 or so. The 20 games in the BIG are tough enough plus Cuse at home, a Gavitt game away and SHU possibly away. I think we need to play a few less than stellar opponents in the OOC to get more minutes for our new comers and to hopefully get a few more wins. I think we should keep our proposed RU exempt tournament with Holy Cross, Central Connecticut and Miami (Ohio). However if Miami doesn't wish to travel so far we should add another team more local like a NJIT, Monmouth, Rider or such. Just my thoughts. We need to definitely be several games above .500 for NCAA consideration and if we should go 11-9 or 10-10 in the BIG that just might be the case. 20 games in the BIG plus Cuse, SHU and a Gavitt game will already be 23 really difficult games. I think many major teams will play a few mid majors more local to their campus this coming season. We should not play every game against a major conference team. Even Kentucky and Duke etc. play a few mid majors each season.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Jeff Goodman just reported playing a MTE with Rider and FDU. Replaces the MTE we had scheduled and allows for higher game total.

Logistically makes sense.

If true. I think this is good to hear but I thought we must play at least three other teams in a MTE. I would assume that maybe one more local team would be added.

Last edited:
Please advise on schedule so far:

- I believe we can play 25 games
- Appears conference schedule will be 20 games per Goodman
- So known OOC games so far are FDU and Rider in MTE reported by Goodman plus ACC challenge opponent to be known shortly
- That would leave 2 more games which i suspect will be at Seton Hall and a TBD game
- Also been reported that Gavitt games are unlikely.

Does the above appear reasonably accurately?

Yes Phil. I am guessing due to NJ Covid travel and quarantine requirements, the state university is going to abide by this. Therefore, our non conf schedule will likely be (my guess) just 5 games to give us 25 Total Games
NJIT as opener
FDU
Rider
Syracuse at RAC ACC Challenge
At Seton Hall

Reactions: BigEastPhil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT