ADVERTISEMENT

Women's NCAA/WNIT Notable Games

RUcrazee

Senior
Jan 23, 2020
Lasha and Purdue come up short against St. Johns. Lasha put in a valiant effort but it wasn't enough. Guess she'll be able to play professionally overseas. WNBA may be too stacked for her to have a real chance.

Tartamello likely has averted going into "hot seat" status there at St Johns. IMO, they were really trending downward last year after a few mediocre years. With the win over UConn and now fighting their way into the tourney, he was able to right the ship after losing L. Correa, his best player last year to transfer. Looks like Jayla Everett from Pitt is taking up the slack.

A few scores of note.
(6) Michigan 71 - (11) UNLV 59 Yay for Kim Barnes-Arrico
(2) Maryland 93-(16) Holy Cross 61 No surprise.
(2) Iowa 95 - (15) SE Louisiana 43, can Bluder run it up more?
(1) South Carolina 72 - (14) Norfolk State 40 no surprise
1st 3 scores all BIG 10 teams, hmm.

Last edited:
Awwww Shucks!!!

You GOTTA love Dawn Staley!! Just turned the game on and WHAT do I see???

A BEAUTIFUL tribute to our Hall of Fame Coach and, as far as I'm concerned, an All-Time great in WCBB who gave us an RU All-Time great and current WNBA star.

Thank you Dawn for paying respect to such a deserving group of special women. I want one of those jerseys myself. Shoutout to CVS, Yolanda Laney, and her daughter Betnijah.

Now we just have to hope Dawn can give the right halftime speech to get S. Carolina to win this game. S.Florida is dialed in today.

Just caught few minutes of LSU/Michigan. What an obnoxious/arrogant arse Angel Reese is. She, and her arrogant, psycho Coach Kim Mulkey are made for each other. Needless to say they are kicking butt end of half 30-15.

Interesting to see that, perhaps for the first time in memory, the B1G women's teams in their NCAA tournament are seeded higher than the B1G men in their's, Purdue being the major exception and we all know how that turned out. If things break right, the B1G could end up with 5 women's team in the Sweet 16. The best the men can do right now is 2 but yesterday's schedule for the men included UCLA (2), Alabama (1), and Texas (2).

(8) Ole Miss stuns (1) Stanford 54-49. Wow.
Words fail me. Stanford has been a bit inconsistent, at times. But Arizona hosted them after one of their losses and they were firing on all cylinders. Singularly impressive.

I wonder if Brink's illness was a factor. Also, in our game, Haley Jones was "on" in a way she wasn't tonight.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Tya Singleton played most of the game for Ole Miss and now she’ll play in the Sweet Sixteen.
Tya has so much potential. I just keep thinking this could have been us if we had kept about 3-4 of the key players from last year. I am hopeful for the future. I think Coach Washington is a gem.

Tya Singleton played most of the game for Ole Miss and now she’ll play in the Sweet Sixteen.
Yes,...very happy for Tyia. I was probably one of the most critical of her slow offensive development while here at RU. She has yet to really make strides in that aspect of the game. The one thing that could never be questioned with Tyia is her effect on the defensive end of the court. Always a tough defender in the post(despite being undersized), shot blocker, rebounder, quick jumper.

She definitely played a significant role in their upset of Ole Miss. Coach Yo brought in a similar post from Pitt via the portal, who is taller than Tyia. Tyia probably got more of the minutes because she does so many intangibles defensively. A lot of talk about Stanford missing a lot of chippies. Well, that's what good defense causes.

Hat's off to Tyia!

Tya has so much potential. I just keep thinking this could have been us if we had kept about 3-4 of the key players from last year. I am hopeful for the future. I think Coach Washington is a gem.
If we could have kept Kierra Sanderlin, along with either Tyia or Sakima Walker, along with either Lasha or Sayawni Lassiter.

I think any trio from above would have put us in the top half of the conference. Petree would have been the other scorer that teams would have had to prepare for. Sayawni or Kierra were more suited to run PG duties and would have allowed Kai and Awa to play off the ball where they are used to playing.

I don't think Kierra played at all this season. Couldn't find any info on what happened to her at U of Houston this year.

Reactions: RUfanDNT
Just think, those extra bodies would have allowed Coach to really play fast. Lasha really shines in that style of play. The others also would have been a great fit. With the uptempo, everyone would still get minutes because of the need to keep everyone fresh.

What coulda, woulda, shoulda!!🙄........:DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:

Reactions: RUfanDNT
If we could have kept Kierra Sanderlin, along with either Tyia or Sakima Walker, along with either Lasha or Sayawni Lassiter.

I think any trio from above would have put us in the top half of the conference. Petree would have been the other scorer that teams would have had to prepare for. Sayawni or Kierra were more suited to run PG duties and would have allowed Kai and Awa to play off the ball where they are used to playing.

I don't think Kierra played at all this season. Couldn't find any info on what happened to her at U of Houston this year.
Sanderlin seemed to drop from the UH roster after October.

NCAA Women's Championship pres. by Capital One - Greenville Regional 2 - Sweet 16

ss_20230324_165400820_22295841017.jpg

Jasmyne Roberts' big-time and-1 sends Miami to the Elite 8​

TOP PERFORMERS​

J. Roberts

J. RobertsG - MIA

26PTS
9REB
4STL
M. Siegrist

M. SiegristF - VILL

31PTS
13REB
5STL
GAMECASTBOX SCOREBRACKET
FINAL
T

LSU
    (31-2)

Utah
    (27-5)
NCAA Women's Championship pres. by Capital One - Greenville Regional 2 - Sweet 16

ss_20230324_193647491_2229666.jpg

Utah misses both FTs as LSU holds on to Sweet 16 win​

TOP PERFORMERS​

L. Williams

L. WilliamsF - LSU

24PTS
6REB
G. Kneepkens

G. KneepkensG - UTAH

20PTS
8REB
3STL
GAMECASTBOX SCOREBRACKET
FINAL
T

Colorado
    (25-9)

Iowa
    (29-6)
NCAA Women's Championship pres. by Capital One - Seattle Regional 4 - Sweet 16

ss_20230324_215142199_22298361320.jpg

Caitlin Clark's 31 points help Iowa advance to Elite Eight​

TOP PERFORMERS​

A. Vonleh

A. VonlehC - COLO

14PTS
C. Clark

C. ClarkG - IOWA

31PTS
8AST
GAMECASTBOX SCOREBRACKET
FINAL
T

South Carolina smacks UCLA 59-43. They could have really blown UCLA out, but Dawn played , 14 players. Can't see anybody beating them rest of way.

Ohio State leading UCONN 36-26 at the half. Ohio State's freshman has 18 points. Game on ABC.

Has the B1G ever had three teams in the women's Elite 8 before? They'll be there with USCe, LSU, Louisville, and Miami, with one other team yet to be determined.

Good to see although this, along with the vast improvement in the Indiana program will make RU's climb back into prominence much more difficult.

Good to see although this, along with the vast improvement in the Indiana program will make RU's climb back into prominence much more difficult.
I'm not convinced that Iowa or Indiana has staying power. I think Rutgers will, once they get there. I'm no expert, of course...

Reactions: shields
I read the AP recaps of the games that interest me. During the NCAAT that would be most of them. I want to highlight that at least 80%, probably more, make some comment about the winning team's defense in a positive way. Comments are by writer, coach, player--multiple perspectives. I just shake my head at recollections of certain posters on this site droning on about how the game has changed and passed by a certain coach or coaching style or philosophy.

Big loss for Miami, losing one of my favs, Lashae Dwyer. She is the spark plug they need to overcome this deficit. When she's on the floor, they have turned the momentum in their favor.

The only one on Miami that can stick with Morris.

I read the AP recaps of the games that interest me. During the NCAAT that would be most of them. I want to highlight that at least 80%, probably more, make some comment about the winning team's defense in a positive way. Comments are by writer, coach, player--multiple perspectives. I just shake my head at recollections of certain posters on this site droning on about how the game has changed and passed by a certain coach or coaching style or philosophy.
winning team's defense

LSU 54 - Miami 42. Neither team deserves to be in the elite8 let alone the final 4. Really gives women's BB a bad name. Ugh, so many teams that have lost deserved to be there. Nice to see Dee Kantner ref the game, kept Mulkey in her place. Old, albeit brief time at RU Alexis Morris had a very good game.

Iowa up over L'ville 48-43 at the HALF! Clark with a monster offensive game. Van Lith doing very good as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT