ADVERTISEMENT

Women's NCAA/WNIT Notable Games

LSU 54 - Miami 42. Neither team deserves to be in the elite8 let alone the final 4. Really gives women's BB a bad name. Ugh, so many teams that have lost deserved to be there.
Rationale for saying a 30+ win team doesn’t deserve to be in the E8? It’s all about how you perform and a sprinkling of luck. Just like every other year. Would you say that if it were RU (not that that is anything other than a pipe dream).

Reactions: sammybb
I read the AP recaps of the games that interest me. During the NCAAT that would be most of them. I want to highlight that at least 80%, probably more, make some comment about the winning team's defense in a positive way. Comments are by writer, coach, player--multiple perspectives. I just shake my head at recollections of certain posters on this site droning on about how the game has changed and passed by a certain coach or coaching style or philosophy.

Still have to score more points than the opponent.

Rationale for saying a 30+ win team doesn’t deserve to be in the E8? It’s all about how you perform and a sprinkling of luck. Just like every other year. Would you say that if it were RU (not that that is anything other than a pipe dream).
It's all about matchups and a little bit of luck. LSU did have to get through #6 seed Michigan and #2 seed Utah to get to the Elite 8. Miami had to beat #1 seed Indiana at Indiana and fend off #4 seed Villanova. Then they played a real ugly game against each other, which doesn't mean they didn't have to earn their spots.

Meanwhile, MD has looked really good for a few months now, and they got to draw a decimated ND team in the sweet 16, only to have to face SC tonight.

Reactions: Turtle31
It's all about matchups and a little bit of luck. LSU did have to get through #6 seed Michigan and #2 seed Utah to get to the Elite 8. Miami had to beat #1 seed Indiana at Indiana and fend off #4 seed Villanova. Then they played a real ugly game against each other, which doesn't mean they didn't have to earn their spots.

Meanwhile, MD has looked really good for a few months now, and they got to draw a decimated ND team in the sweet 16, only to have to face SC tonight.
Yeah, Notre Dame was not the same team that the Terrapins beat in South Bend earlier this season.

And dang, South Carolina seems unbeatable. Last night they didn’t even shoot that well, but they get so many rebounds that it doesn’t matter. I like Coach Staley and it’s cool to see her succeed….

Reactions: eso1989
Yeah, Notre Dame was not the same team that the Terrapins beat in South Bend earlier this season.

And dang, South Carolina seems unbeatable. Last night they didn’t even shoot that well, but they get so many rebounds that it doesn’t matter. I like Coach Staley and it’s cool to see her succeed….
South Carolina has become what UConn used to be

Reactions: LtCol144
South Carolina depth is the difference maker. Boston, and Beal, and Cardoso, etc did what they do last night. Cooke showing up with the driving game and the three pt accuracy was the key to them digging out of a hole while Md tried to make it a dogfight.

The officiating in the women's game is becoming problematic. Geno talked about it a few weeks ago. I didn't like his complaints at that moment because IMO, he did so because his team came out on the short end of the scoreboard. The physical play that officials have allowed is not good for SCar. They don't need that.

This allowance of, IMO, over the top physicality in the paint area, is usually seen when teams know they don't have answers for a team and want to steal the game away in bully fashion. Prime example that always comes to mind, and still makes me upset, is Jeff Walz employing this strategy against Baylor and Britney Griner in the Final Four matchup when Shoni Shimmel was the media hit. The refs allowed them to beat up Griner all game. Disgraceful! Officiating of that game allowed UConn to win a NC that year because Baylor would have beaten them, IMO.

South Carolina is the victim of that kind of strategic play these days. Dawn constantly has to stay on the refs to not allow it. Md tried to employ it last night and was allowed to get away with it for the first quarter, at least.

Md did well this year despite not having a true center or any size in the post. They are set up to be up there again next year, even with the departure of Miller, Meyers, and Pinzan. Meyers was outstanding last night. Masonious impressed also.

Add a post from the portal and another good shooting guard and they'll be making a deep run again next year with Sellers, Briggs, Masonious, and Alexander leading the way.

Md did well this year despite not having a true center or any size in the post. They are set up to be up there again next year, even with the departure of Miller, Meyers, and Pinzan. Meyers was outstanding last night. Masonious impressed also.

Add a post from the portal and another good shooting guard and they'll be making a deep run again next year with Sellers, Briggs, Masonious, and Alexander leading the way.
Yeah. Too bad that Angel Reese, a phenomenal center, decided to transfer to LSU (as did Ashley Owusu, who went to Virginia Tech but sat out with an injury). There is definitely something to all the transfers of high-level players from College Park, though. It's become a pattern. (Yet another Elite 8 team, Ohio State has one -- Taylor Mikesell).

Reactions: RUcrazee
Yeah. Too bad that Angel Reese, a phenomenal center, decided to transfer to LSU (as did Ashley Owusu, who went to Virginia Tech but sat out with an injury). There is definitely something to all the transfers of high-level players from College Park, though. It's become a pattern. (Yet another Elite 8 team, Ohio State has one -- Taylor Mikesell).
I guess things worked out okay for all parties involved(asterisk on Owusu, at least she's in a good place when she gets healthy).

I guess things worked out okay for all parties involved(asterisk on Owusu, at least she's in a good place when she gets healthy).
Owusu has been better but has not played. There has been a lot of chatter on Twitter about her lack of playing time. She will definitely be leaving for either the WNBA or to another college.

Owusu has been better but has not played. There has been a lot of chatter on Twitter about her lack of playing time. She will definitely be leaving for either the WNBA or to another college.
Is she ready for the W??? I don't think so. Looked like she needed better conditioning that last year at Md. Hope she can get fully healthy and jump back into the mix of all the excitement going on with the WCBB scene these days.

So many girls playing this sport these days. They possess high skill levels at young ages. So much more parity. Look at the men's side.....the usual names(Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc) can no longer be penciled in. Any given year, it could be Fairleigh Dickinson, St Peters, Fla Atlantic, San Diego St, Princeton, etc in the Final Four.

The women's game is going in the same direction. Quickly!

Awwww Shucks!!!

You GOTTA love Dawn Staley!! Just turned the game on and WHAT do I see???

A BEAUTIFUL tribute to our Hall of Fame Coach and, as far as I'm concerned, an All-Time great in WCBB who gave us an RU All-Time great and current WNBA star.

Thank you Dawn for paying respect to such a deserving group of special women. I want one of those jerseys myself. Shoutout to CVS, Yolanda Laney, and her daughter Betnijah.

The dawn Staley whose team manager was raped by bill Cosby in 2004? Did Staley stand up for any of the victims? Cosby was a trustee giving commencement til 2013.

RUcrazee, I apologize for giving you bad information about Ashley. I thought she was out for the year, but apparently she was available but not playing much...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT