ADVERTISEMENT

Zapruder Analysis on the Lateral Call

Total RU screw job call. The final score will always be 37-27 to me. And the more I think about that bogus overturn plus giving Penix the TD when he was at least 2 1/2 feet short, throw in the questionable Toure ejection--maybe our best pass rusher--I can't help but wonder if we could've stolen a W somehow, even though I concede Indy did outplay us.

Total RU screw job call. The final score will always be 37-27 to me. And the more I think about that bogus overturn plus giving Penix the TD when he was at least 2 1/2 feet short, throw in the questionable Toure ejection--maybe our best pass rusher--I can't help but wonder if we could've stolen a W somehow, even though I concede Indy did outplay us.
Why not 37-29 with 1:30 left, onsides kick, Rutgers recovers, Rutgers ties it, 37-37, and wins in overtime? Indiana would have been on their heels if that call was upheld. As Greg said: "I didn't come here to lose." :CHOP:

Why not 37-29 with 1:30 left, onsides kick, Rutgers recovers, Rutgers ties it, 37-37, and wins in overtime? Indiana would have been on their heels if that call was upheld. As Greg said: "I didn't come here to lose." :CHOP:
I like it....I like 33-28 better--without the Penix gift TD (will give them the FG) --and another RU onside kick coming!!

Anyway, 37-27 is my final forever because that was the score on the screen before the refs hosed us and took it away.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting take by Carino:

If one of the laterals went forward — lateral No. 5, from a falling Shameen Jones to lineman Sam Vretman — it was by an inch. This is where circumstances conspired to hurt Rutgers. * In a normal season, with 40,000-plus fans going bonkers in the stadium — let’s assume most of them stuck around for the finish — it’s hard to see the officials overturning the ruling on the field.

“When one of the officials told me, Coach, we think one of the laterals was a forward pass, I was like, ‘Thank you, Jesus,’” Indiana coach Tom Allen said afterward.

Some say this is how the officials ruled on the “immaculate reception”...

The story goes they asked how many cops were in Three Rivers at that moment. When given the answer one said that’s not enough so the other said, “Touchdown Steelers!” LOL

At least that’s how John Madden tells (fumes) it.

This is the NFL Rule:

FORWARD PASS

Two Images:

gUIo7Ow.jpg

In the image on left, Jones' left hand is at about the 35.5, Krimin's foot is on the 35 and Jones' release of ball looks to be at 36.
In image on right, note the ref's foot at 36. Red line drawn from just before 36. Vretman appears to be at or behind the 36.

Two more images

B89gcD3.jpg

Image on left. It again appears Jones' non-release left hand is at about the 35.5, and his "throwing arm" at point of release is at 36.
Image on right. Vretman is behind 36.

We can debate the exactitude of positioning of Jones' throwing and where ball was and where Vretman was, but it was a bullshit reversal because there was no indisputable evidence. I will be filing a complaint with the B1G tomorrow morning.
Quoting myself here--seeing this on Twitter with the red lines, notations and arrows. One Tweeter said it was the best analysis he saw. 🙌 Kind of weird. I woke up early this morning after the clocks fell back and was bored because nobody else was awake in the house.

Don't forget the targetting call on Toure that was not really targetting at all. He tried to stop and his shoulder grazed the helmet of the QB.

Someone said in another thread or on Twitter that this ref crew has a history of questionable calls.

I can't agree with you on the targeting call. If he was pulling back he needed to be more obvious about it. Looked to us like he took a pretty good shot.

I can't agree with you on the targeting call. If he was pulling back he needed to be more obvious about it. Looked to us like he took a pretty good shot.
My issue with it is that it looked like he just hit him with his forearm. If he clobbered him in the head with a shoulder or helmet then I get it, but you're not going to concuss someone with a helmet on by hitting them with an unpadded forearm. And then when an Indiana player hit Vedral in the head with his arm, that one wasn't targeting. Inconsistent.

Well the guy who caught it was in front of the guy who threw it. So that makes it a forwards pass.

The big picture here is that it’s not worth getting too worked up over a scrimmage. With the Big10 season called off, it’s awesome we still get at least some scrimmages to keep an eye on while the SEC ACC Notre Dame etc play real
Games.

Well the guy who caught it was in front of the guy who threw it. So that makes it a forwards pass.

The big picture here is that it’s not worth getting too worked up over a scrimmage. With the Big10 season called off, it’s awesome we still get at least some scrimmages to keep an eye on while the SEC ACC Notre Dame etc play real
Games.

Troll.

Also it's called a "forward pass", not a "forwards pass".

Games.

So if a B1G 10 team wins the NC it doesn't count? The runner up automatically gets the trophy?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Great job by the OP.
However, a different angle of the play appears to show a shape in a striped shirt in the area where the cannon is located a.k.a. "The Grassy Knoll". This "shape" needs to be identified before evidence begins to disappear.

Exactly, clearly targeting as it's described in the rule book. You just can't hit guys in the head any more, especially QBs who are sliding.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Does anybody have a copy of that overhead video shot? Seems like it would be a pretty good angle. They showed it once on TV and I was yelling for them to show it again, but it wasn't to be.
The stills above are taken from that overhead view.

Also.. keep in mind that the camera is at the 50 looking back.. look at Krimin.. whose foot is on the 35... his head is.. where? 34? That is camera angle perspective.. as the ball and hand are close to the ground you will have a true idea as to where it is.. as it gains in height, it will seem further and further back.. because of where the camera is. That's why they have goal line cams.. so they can shoot straight down the line.. but even there, any mistake as to where the camera is place.. and the barrel distortion of the lens.. will distort "reality". Even a couple inches with a long zoom lens can distort it (that's what she said).

Last edited:
That is simply not true.. look above. The passer was diving.. his hand with ball was way out in front of him and he rotated it to make the latteral.. the guy catching it was moving forward to catch it and over-ran it.. you can tell from where he was when 15 with ball was diving and where he caught it and his body lean as he caught it.. his lead foot was at/over the 36.. but not his hands/arms..

In any case.. the official announced the pass was from the 35.. and video evidence clearly shows that was not true. So why was that said?

The only thing missing from that play was the Stanford Band!
What an effort!
They should have never overturned that play but it is what it is!

This is the NFL Rule:

FORWARD PASS

Two Images:

gUIo7Ow.jpg

In the image on left, Jones' left hand is at about the 35.5, Krimin's foot is on the 35 and Jones' release of ball looks to be at 36.
In image on right, note the ref's foot at 36. Red line drawn from just before 36. Vretman appears to be at or behind the 36.

Two more images

B89gcD3.jpg

Image on left. It again appears Jones' non-release left hand is at about the 35.5, and his "throwing arm" at point of release is at 36.

We can debate the exactitude of positioning of Jones' throwing and where ball was and where Vretman was, but it was a bullshit reversal because there was no indisputable evidence. I will be filing a complaint with the B1G tomorrow morning.
Nice job on the analysis. One thing, the red lines drawn on the pics aren't exactly right. In the first pair of pics, the red line isn't parallel to the 35 yd line. You can see in the right photo the red line drifts away from the 35 and makes it appear Krimin is behind the release point more than he really was.

In the second group of photos the red line starts just inside the 35 at the edge of the field but is just outside the 35 when it gets to the hash mark. That's a difference of almost 6 inches and again makes it look like Krimmin is closer to being "onsides" than he really was.

This doesn't mean I think they should have overturned it. I don't think they should have. But the evidence you have presented isn't rock solid.

Nice job on the analysis. One thing, the red lines drawn on the pics aren't exactly right. In the first pair of pics, the red line isn't parallel to the 35 yd line. You can see in the right photo the red line drifts away from the 35 and makes it appear Krimin is behind the release point more than he really was.

In the second group of photos the red line starts just inside the 35 at the edge of the field but is just outside the 35 when it gets to the hash mark. That's a difference of almost 6 inches and again makes it look like Krimmin is closer to being "onsides" than he really was.

This doesn't mean I think they should have overturned it. I don't think they should have. But the evidence you have presented isn't rock solid.
I sweated more over the parallelism of those red lines than I do over stuff I do on my real job. Seriously. I was a little too wound up about it. The camera angles did not make it easy. I could never draw straight lines in mechanical drawing class. [roll]

Did you do this?
Oh no, I was just being an unhinged lunatic. Doesn't really matter now, does it.

But it does raise a fair question about indisputable video evidence when a call is made on the field. Hell, IIRC, they did not even review the non-touchdown by Pennix at the goal line even after Greg called time out. Just sort of smelled of an Indiana-biased crew.

Agree with everything you said except: "It did not affect the outcome of the game."

If that play was upheld and Rutgers converted on the 2 point conversion, you have a stunned Indiana team, ripe for the picking for an onsides kick. Yeah, a lot of things have to happen, but I'm so pissed off about that call, I will not concede a thing. In my pissed off mind, it most certainly affected the outcome of the game. Nothing against you.
Yes, you are right. it could of affected the outcome.

My issue with it is that it looked like he just hit him with his forearm. If he clobbered him in the head with a shoulder or helmet then I get it, but you're not going to concuss someone with a helmet on by hitting them with an unpadded forearm. And then when an Indiana player hit Vedral in the head with his arm, that one wasn't targeting. Inconsistent.

IMHO ours was mostly an elbow shot to a head of a QB in a late slide. Theirs was a mostly an attempt to block a pass that hit the QB's helmet. One is driven by the shoulder/elbow the other was the remaining movement of a hand in an attempt to block a pass. I was watching with a former college player who's son played for RU. That was his read right off the bat. I originally though that the RU hit was due to a late QB slide but the forearm was never retracted.

Not my hill to die on so I really have nothing else to add. Just kind of playing devil's advocate and help my fellow fans find closure.

Last edited:
Exactly, clearly targeting as it's described in the rule book. You just can't hit guys in the head any more, especially QBs who are sliding.

While I thought that the slide was late and I originally thought that made it look bad and that was why the flag was thrown but on replay if that forearm doesn't go away its automatic. On a shoulder hit you can make the argument the defender was committed and the QB slid into the shoulder because how does one re-target the shoulder/entire body of the defender once he's committed to a "body tackle". The forearm/elbow needs to be pulled back because it can be.

Otherwise flag.

Take that opinion of a guy who's last year of organized football was with the 5th grade Twin Hills Tigers. (and not a starter) LOLOL

Last edited:
This is the NFL Rule:

FORWARD PASS

Two Images:

gUIo7Ow.jpg

In image on right, note the ref's foot at 36. Red line drawn from just before 36. Vretman appears to be at or behind the 36.the ref just had to inject himself at the end of this game......was that conclusive evidence that should over turn a td called on the field . without a penalty, or a stoppage of play....of course not.....dam refs should be seen and not noticed.....i hate the flow of the game being interrupted by a dam yellow flag.....some of these crack back block penalties are really awful....in the mich .st. mich game ,two or three were called that shouldn't have been. the zebras need to keep the flag in there pockets, and let the boys play......stop being media spotlight whores.

Two more images

B89gcD3.jpg

The replay official in this instance is saying he knows better than everyone else, with 100% absolute certainty he knows what transpired. From these still photos I still can't tell if it went forward, backward or lateral.

He has only 2-3 minutes to make this judgement, I studied for 5 mins. In this instance it should have been call on the field stands for lack of indisputable evidence. What did transpire is a gross misuse of the replay review by the replay official. He's either been poorly trained or is incompetent at his job because he simply guessed.
well said........must feel good to be in a position to change an outcome of a situation, even as trivial as a college fb game.
the refs need to be graded, and answer for some dumb judgement calls......i love when the announcers in the booth
swear that the play will stand ,and the replay ref over turns it.

Reactions: koleszar
One of the problems with so many refs are that they don't think. That was one of the most iconic plays in RU history. It did not affect the outcome of the game and was clearly not indisputable. It should of been allowed to stand. Just like holding calls that have nothing to do with the play and calling interference on uncatchable balls, the refs should just let these penalties go.

Excessive penalties are killing football.
right on, my friend

Not being sarcastic here but every game should be played like it's our 11 against their 18, 7 of them wearing stripes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT