ADVERTISEMENT

BACATOLGY 3/4 : NCAA TOURNAMENT ANALYSIS

I think the Big East Tournament this year is the most compelling.

Defending champs / several bubble teams / local teams etc.

We play every team once and 3 TBD schools twice for the 20 conference games.

Being we played Sparty on the road only this year - my expectation is they will definitely play us at the RAC next year.
I wonder who the three are. Kinda would like Indiana. Think we’ve developed a little bit of a rivalry. PSU and Maryland make too much sense? West Coast schools play each other? Guessing Indiana gets Purdue. Illinois and NW?

This is where you wonder.
UConn & Creighton all set.
Much better for league if Providence and Nova win and repercussions for UConn and Creighton (maybe) aren’t that big.
Rest players?

Pitino war would be great for TV. Have to think CBS chomping at the bit.
Think Nova could easily handle UVA.
Wonder if St. John would be frustrated by UVA pace.
Hurley rest players? Never.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I wonder who the three are. Kinda would like Indiana. Think we’ve developed a little bit of a rivalry. PSU and Maryland make too much sense? West Coast schools play each other? Guessing Indiana gets Purdue. Illinois and NW?
Just a guess but I’m sure Maryland will be a fixed twice a year game.

Other 2 games / schools to play twice will be random based on competitiveness.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Love the passion bac2therac. Checkmy reference. No 15 loss team has ever gotten an at large bid. a bunch of 14 loss teams have. . I don’t think Villanovas profile warrants testing that record. A Nova loss to Creighton would put them in that realm barring winning the BET. Your thoughts.

Reactions: bac2therac
Love the passion bac2therac. Checkmy reference. No 15 loss team has ever gotten an at large bid. a bunch of 14 loss teams have. . I don’t think Villanovas profile warrants testing that record. A Nova loss to Creighton would put them in that realm barring winning the BET. Your thoughts.

I believe Vandy was 19-15 in 2017

I dont think Nova gets in with 15..too many otheroptions this year

Keep in mind Richmond and USF...if they dont win the AQs and Dayton/USF does there could be 2 open spots

I believe Vandy was 19-15 in 2017
You are correct on Vandy.

Pre-First Four, Georgia not only got in once with a 16-14 record, but they were an 8 seed (2001). But there isn't much to take from that as they were such an outlier (not sure when you started doing this bac, but they were a polarizing team that year). 27th in the RPI, 9-7 in Conference...but they had a completely ridiculous SOS. This is using RPI (pre-NET), but their breakdown was...
4-5 in top 25 RPI games
4-4 in games 26-50
6-4 in games 51-100
1-1 in games 101-150
1-0 in sub-150 games

Literally the 2nd worst team they played all season (and played them twice) was LSU with an RPI of 104...even crazier in Kenpom, as he had Vandy at 88th as the 2nd worst team they played over their 30 games.

I'm actually looking forward to the Mountain West tournament

7 of 11 teams could realistically win it

6 NCAA tournament teams

You are correct on Vandy.

Pre-First Four, Georgia not only got in once with a 16-14 record, but they were an 8 seed (2001). But there isn't much to take from that as they were such an outlier (not sure when you started doing this bac, but they were a polarizing team that year). 27th in the RPI, 9-7 in Conference...but they had a completely ridiculous SOS. This is using RPI (pre-NET), but their breakdown was...
4-5 in top 25 RPI games
4-4 in games 26-50
6-4 in games 51-100
1-1 in games 101-150
1-0 in sub-150 games

Literally the 2nd worst team they played all season (and played them twice) was LSU with an RPI of 104...even crazier in Kenpom, as he had Vandy at 88th as the 2nd worst team they played over their 30 games.
yes....those 3 losses by Nova are not even ones you can brightside......its not as good as that Georgia profile and recent history shows you have to be a least 4 games over 500

Arizona wraps up the Pac 12 title by routing UCLA

Washington upsets Washington State. Seeding is generally been at 5-6 or WSU so we shall see what happens there

Colorado wins at Oregon 79-75. Key Q1 win. I dont like their resume but I do recognize the committee will.

Utah is getting boatraced early at Oregon State 38-22. Would be a highly damaging loss and put Colorado above them in the pecking order

I do see the Pac 12 getting 3.

What are your thoughts on Utah losing and if Villanova were to lose tomorrow doesn't that really hurt St John's alot? I personally don't know how they are ahead of us now.

What are your thoughts on Utah losing and if Villanova were to lose tomorrow doesn't that really hurt St John's alot? I personally don't know how they are ahead of us now.
it is definitely complicated that is for sure. A few results can change alot. I think Utah and Nova are close enough to the field where those wins are still looked at highly.

PC was 2-4 vs Nova/SJU/SHU. Nova is not getting in with 15 losses....95% on that. The issue is PC will likely lose to UConn and that means they will drop to 9-1 in Q1/2/3 and that is tough to recover from. 10 wins coming from Quad 4 sticks out.....but the biggest factor is your injured player. Like with RU last year the committtee can say it just isnt the same team

what is the projected opponent for PC in the Big East for the opener and beyond.

also keep in mind the USF/Richmond factor currently going on with potentially opening up 2 more slots.

LAST FOUR BYES: MISSISSIPPI STATE, OKLAHOMA, SETON HALL, FLORIDA ATLANTIC

LAST FOUR IN: SAINT JOHN'S, VIRGINIA, VILLANOVA, NEW MEXICO

FIRST FOUR OUT: COLORADO, PROVIDENCE, IOWA, TEXAS A & M

NEXT FOUR OUT: UTAH, WAKE FOREST, PITTSBURGH, MEMPHIS

ON DECK: VIRGINIA TECH, DRAKE, BUTLER, OHIO STATE, JAMES MADISON, UNLV, MISSISSIPPI, KANSAS STATE

LAST FOUR BYES: MISSISSIPPI STATE, OKLAHOMA, SETON HALL, FLORIDA ATLANTIC

LAST FOUR IN: SAINT JOHN'S, VIRGINIA, VILLANOVA, NEW MEXICO

FIRST FOUR OUT: COLORADO, PROVIDENCE, IOWA, TEXAS A & M

NEXT FOUR OUT: UTAH, WAKE FOREST, PITTSBURGH, MEMPHIS

ON DECK: VIRGINIA TECH, DRAKE, BUTLER, OHIO STATE, JAMES MADISON, UNLV, MISSISSIPPI, KANSAS STATE
Iowa replaces New Mexico if they beat Illinois at home this weekend?

Wouldn't hurt our NIT chances if that were to happen I guess.

Iowa replaces New Mexico if they beat Illinois at home this weekend?

Wouldn't hurt our NIT chances if that were to happen I guess.
My last team in is Saint Johns not New Mexico but Virginia seems more vulnerable than the Redmen. Virginia has a home game with surging Ga Tech they need to win.

I could see Iowa getting screwed even with a win over Illinois. Its just a feeling I have and likely because the Big 10 even ranked 2nd this year is more so because everyone in the league except Michigan is competitive night in and night out but they dont have the true top tier like the big 12 or sec has. Big 10 will be lucky to get Illinois as a 4 seed. SEC has 3 schools in top 16 seeds on the s curve and Big 12 has 4 perhaps 5. Big East has 3. Big 10 barely 2.

The big issue I am wrestling with is Colorado. They had 2 wins vs teams in the field and one them is tenuous in Richmond. Best win was Washington State. Their 2 Q1 wins are nit teams Oregon and Washington. Yet at 29 now in the NET and more importantly 15-9 in Q1/2/3 I am resigned to them going as the third Pac 12 school eventually as long as they win at Oregon State this weekend.

With New Mexico, alot rides on their game at Utah State. If they can win, they stay in. Also Nova-Creighton huge too, if Nova loses they are out and likely out 95%

Reactions: fatsam98
My last team in is Saint Johns not New Mexico but Virginia seems more vulnerable than the Redmen. Virginia has a home game with surging Ga Tech they need to win.

I could see Iowa getting screwed even with a win over Illinois. Its just a feeling I have and likely because the Big 10 even ranked 2nd this year is more so because everyone in the league except Michigan is competitive night in and night out but they dont have the true top tier like the big 12 or sec has. Big 10 will be lucky to get Illinois as a 4 seed. SEC has 3 schools in top 16 seeds on the s curve and Big 12 has 4 perhaps 5. Big East has 3. Big 10 barely 2.

The big issue I am wrestling with is Colorado. They had 2 wins vs teams in the field and one them is tenuous in Richmond. Best win was Washington State. Their 2 Q1 wins are nit teams Oregon and Washington. Yet at 29 now in the NET and more importantly 15-9 in Q1/2/3 I am resigned to them going as the third Pac 12 school eventually as long as they win at Oregon State this weekend.

With New Mexico, alot rides on their game at Utah State. If they can win, they stay in. Also Nova-Creighton huge too, if Nova loses they are out and likely out 95%
Villanova now has 13 losses.. Are you saying Villanova has to win the Big East tournament if they lose to Creighton (as they probably will)?

it is definitely complicated that is for sure. A few results can change alot. I think Utah and Nova are close enough to the field where those wins are still looked at highly.

PC was 2-4 vs Nova/SJU/SHU. Nova is not getting in with 15 losses....95% on that. The issue is PC will likely lose to UConn and that means they will drop to 9-1 in Q1/2/3 and that is tough to recover from. 10 wins coming from Quad 4 sticks out.....but the biggest factor is your injured player. Like with RU last year the committtee can say it just isnt the same team

what is the projected opponent for PC in the Big East for the opener and beyond.

also keep in mind the USF/Richmond factor currently going on with potentially opening up 2 more slots.
Yeah I agree they will probably hold that against them even though he got hurt third game of the conference season. Also the two quad one wins they had with him were convincing 15 point wins. I'm not sure who they will match up with in Big East . Could finish anywhere from 5th to eight I believe.

Villanova now has 13 losses.. Are you saying Villanova has to win the Big East tournament if they lose to Creighton (as they probably will)?
they beat Creighton at Creighton so this one at home they have a real chance with alot on the line

but that would be their 14th loss...they head into the BE a 17-14 with another loss coming if they dont win it. I dont like their prospects at 17-15 or 18-15

Reactions: retired711
Just fear will bend over backwards to get Nova in.
May want Utah in for more western balance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT