ADVERTISEMENT

Average career of NFL RB is 2.6 years

Injury is a big reason why the average career of a running back is so short . Running backs spend their careers colliding at high speed with people who are bigger than they are. It's important for an RB to know when to hang the helmet up. There are guys who have long careers, but any financial advisor to an RB needs to tell him not to count on being one of them.

Edit: for an indication of why running backs' careers are short, see this video of Donnie Shell tackling Earl Campbell.

Last edited:
Most of us make our largest paychecks from the middle of our careers until retirement- most NFL players will never make the same money again. It is a very tough concept to a lot of players.
Also to fans.

I’m probably never gonna make 550k a year..

Anyone who blows through this amount of money is so dumb.

You beat me to it.Pacheco is more than capable of catching the football out of the backfield. This thinking he ‘s only a runner is lame.

I was comparing him to Rice - who was like a WR and not just catching little dump-off passes in the flats.
Pacheco in year 2 = 1,179 run/receive combined.
Rice in year 2 = 2040 (78 receptions for 700 yds with 9.0 average - better than McCaffrey this year)

How many years do you think you'll work?
Probably til ‘ 65..

Hence why I’ve been adamant that college athletes shouldn’t take scholarships for granted and get their degrees. So after football they can continue to work

You’re also going to be working until you’re 65. Most of these guys are done at 25-26 which is the point of the OP

No, that’s just when they stop playing football. All athletes have to stop playing at some point and move on to do something for the rest of their life.

We’ve gone from a situation where pro athletes used to have a 2nd job in the off-season while they played to make ends meet to where fans expect them to never have to work another day in their life after a few years of working.

Wild.

You’re also going to be working until you’re 65. Most of these guys are done at 25-26 which is the point of the OP

There’s no reason they should be done working at 26. They’re done with football, fine. But have plenty of opportunities to work.

No, that’s just when they stop playing football. All athletes have to stop playing at some point and move on to do something for the rest of their life.

We’ve gone from a situation where pro athletes used to have a 2nd job in the off-season while they played to make ends meet to where fans expect them to never have to work another day in their life after a few years of working.

Wild.
I don’t expect anyone to do anything nor do I care what pro athletes do after their career is done. I’m sure most college grads would love to make that kind of starting salary even if for a few years. If done smartly they can be set up nicely with a debt free head start

There’s no reason they should be done working at 26. They’re done with football, fine. But have plenty of opportunities to work.

I don’t think the guy who said running backs end up broke after playing meant it literally (like after football that’s it and they are living on the street). The point is that few running backs are set for life when their careers end.

I don’t think the guy who said running backs end up broke after playing meant it literally (like after football that’s it and they are living on the street). The point is that few running backs are set for life when their careers end.

True. Which is why education and scholarships are much more important to a student athlete than NIL money..which I will never support. I think with this emphasis on NIL money, we’ll see more ncaa athletes going broke when their playing careers are over

True. Which is why education and scholarships are much more important to a student athlete than NIL money..which I will never support. I think with this emphasis on NIL money, we’ll see more ncaa athletes going broke when their playing careers are over
Nah - I think for the kids where education was a priority before it will still matter unless there’s true separation from the universities. The kids who weren’t strong students to begin with should focus on things that could enhance their earning abilities post graduation. There is an abundance of opportunities available to these kids that don’t involve direct academic success. Trainers, announcers, coaches, etc.

Nah - I think for the kids where education was a priority before it will still matter unless there’s true separation from the universities. The kids who weren’t strong students to begin with should focus on things that could enhance their earning abilities post graduation. There is an abundance of opportunities available to these kids that don’t involve direct academic success. Trainers, announcers, coaches, etc.

I’m just saying if someone is broke at 25 and can’t find a way to work.it’s totally their fault. I don’t really understand this thread

I’m just saying if someone is broke at 25 and can’t find a way to work.it’s totally their fault. I don’t really understand this thread
You are sort of missing the point.
Yes, a kid making 2-5 mil before the age of 25 really has nothing to bitch about. But, it is not as easy street as one would think. These guys will never make the same money again and they started life living like a successful 50 y/o and then have to scale down. That is not an easy thing. It should be but, mentally, it takes a toll.
Even the guys who did get their education and took it serious- they get started in the NFL and for what ever reason- they only make it 2-3 years.
Think about this mental aspect of it- most of these guys do understand they will have to continue to work. Most do not have the fame to walk them through their next step- maybe they go into sales, marketing, finance, etc and reality hits that they are now at the bottom- 3 years in the rear window of their non sports friends who got the business jump start and they are finding that the starting base pay is $40k.
This is the moment you see a lot of these guys crack- many already feel they failed because they only lasted 2 years, most in serious pain and then need to be at the bottom and making very little money. It can either crush you or build you.

Yes, a kid making 2-5 mil before the age of 25 really has nothing to bitch about. But, it is not as easy street as one would think. These guys will never make the same money again and they started life living like a successful 50 y/o and then have to scale down. That is not an easy thing. It should be but, mentally, it takes a toll.
Even the guys who did get their education and took it serious- they get started in the NFL and for what ever reason- they only make it 2-3 years.
Think about this mental aspect of it- most of these guys do understand they will have to continue to work. Most do not have the fame to walk them through their next step- maybe they go into sales, marketing, finance, etc and reality hits that they are now at the bottom- 3 years in the rear window of their non sports friends who got the business jump start and they are finding that the starting base pay is $40k.
This is the moment you see a lot of these guys crack- many already feel they failed because they only lasted 2 years, most in serious pain and then need to be at the bottom and making very little money. It can either crush you or build you.
Yes exactly. I believe that’s all that was meant by the original post about “going broke”. It’s back to square one after 2-3 years. From the outside, it may be easy to think they should “save for a rainy day” but it’s not that simple at all.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

I understand your point..but I think a lot of this is because of people’s choices. As you say..these kids making millions of dollars at 24 or 25 are living like they’re successful 50 year old. They’re dumb to live like that at 24 or 25..they aren’t successful 50 year olds so why are they living like they are? Stupidity.

Most pro athletes who leave sports early…are totally fine. Some aren’t. I think those who aren’t just made unwise decisions. That’s all

Pacheco's already logged two years and has two remaining. He makes just under 1MM a year, so aside from any other streams of revenue, he's probably bringing in 550k a year net? What are the chances he'll survive another two years and still be able to negotiate another better paying contract?

No wonder these guys are broke within two years of retirement.
He's making under a mil? Jeez.

Pacheco is a guy that a holdout might make sense for.
But KC will be paying a lot after 3 Super Bowls.
KC might figure they can find another cheap RB.
The new cap figures would help.
I can see where there might be a lot of holdouts now

I understand your point..but I think a lot of this is because of people’s choices. As you say..these kids making millions of dollars at 24 or 25 are living like they’re successful 50 year old. They’re dumb to live like that at 24 or 25..they aren’t successful 50 year olds so why are they living like they are? Stupidity.

Most pro athletes who leave sports early…are totally fine. Some aren’t. I think those who aren’t just made unwise decisions. That’s all
I’m coming from- I get it. My son is totally fine. But it took everything he had to do so. And he had the education, support and belief in himself to do so. You miss any of those…and it is a hard road.

Reactions: Scarlet1984

It’s not “dumb” or “stupid” - it’s delayed maturation. Many of these kids have been put on a pedastal since the time they were 14. They’ve had free meals, no show jobs, clothes, tutors and girls practically throwing themselves at them.

All building to a crescendo of a professional career.

In some cases, they may take advice from people who make mistakes or betrayed by people close to them.

It’s a bit callous to suggest they should know better when in many cases the entire community has rallied around the idea they will be “the one” and unwittingly shielded them from being treated like a “normal” person.

This is why I like the program Schiano runs. I think he genuinely prepares them with principles that prioritize work ethic, integrity and are very translatable to life after the games are over and cheering stops.

Reactions: mikemarc1
I’m coming from- I get it. My son is totally fine. But it took everything he had to do so. And he had the education, support and belief in himself to do so. You miss any of those…and it is a hard road.

And for some, they have families relying on them in a way that most 22 years olds don't.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

This goes to non athletes too…education, support and belief. Have those three and you should be fine.

Again, anyone making 500k a year for two three or four years and becomes broke (whether an athlete or not)..is doing something wrong.

To original topic, it seems like the entire RB community is heading to free agency - Jacobs, Barkley, Pollard, Ekler, Gus, Henry, Smith, etc

This goes to non athletes too…education, support and belief. Have those three and you should be fine.

Again, anyone making 500k a year for two three or four years and becomes broke (whether an athlete or not)..is doing something wrong.
Disagree- had it happen to me 20 years ago. Making high 6 figure for 3 years after years of busting ass for much less. Have clients, contracts etc signed for at least 2-3 more years and no reason it would stop. Figured on a 50 y/o retirement- you no longer live like you are making 70k. You don’t go crazy but your vacation is a little nicer, you get the heated seats and leather in your car, move up from a starter home, go out a little more.
Then the company you are crushing it for goes under- no more money coming in and it takes 6-12 months to get back with someone else but your clients are gone and starting over.
Easy to say, you shouldn’t have gotten a nicer car or home. Just not as easy to live like you make 50k if you are making 500k, even if you don’t go crazy on spending.

Do the Chiefs believe Pacheco’s production can’t be duplicated by a younger player?
If they do he will get a nice contract, if they don’t they’ll pay someone a lot less to do the same thing.
It’s a business.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
Do the Chiefs believe Pacheco’s production can’t be duplicated by a younger player?
If they do he will get a nice contract, if they don’t they’ll pay someone a lot less to do the same thing.
It’s a business.
exactly correct...so many NFL players just get replaced going into year 4 instead of getting that 2nd contract. The early round guys stick around more often even if they aren't as good because the team has already invested too much into them. But a guy who is good but not elite or those guys that are good backups- why would a team keep them and sign to a big contract or even pay their 4th year if they feel a rookie could come in for the minimum and do pretty much the same thing for a lot less.
IP is a bit unique though, will be interesting to see how it goes for him. You can pretty much say he is the 3rd most recognized Chief right now,

Injury is a big reason why the average career of a running back is so short . Running backs spend their careers colliding at high speed with people who are bigger than they are. It's important for an RB to know when to hang the helmet up. There are guys who have long careers, but any financial advisor to an RB needs to tell him not to count on being one of them.

Edit: for an indication of why running backs' careers are short, see this video of Donnie Shell tackling Earl Campbell.

Yes and compare that to the career of say...a longsnapper like Clark Harris. Few hits, if any. Plays a few snaps a game.

I don't recall anyone mentioning agent takes. I had always assumed that agents take a big chunk of the contract, pre-tax along the lines of 10%. I didn't realize league rules (unless they've changed) limit agents' takes to 3%.

I imagine it’s apples and oranges unless your employed based on a skill that is marketable for only about 2 years. It’s easy to say you should make wise choices with saving and not spending excessively but while your playing you are surrounded by millionaires. So yeah - I can see how many of these guys blow through the money when it’s short lived. The ones who are well spoken can sometimes find a media gig calling the games for one of the sports networks.
You watch ESPN? … well spoken, hell even understandable, is no longer a requirement.

I don't recall anyone mentioning agent takes. I had always assumed that agents take a big chunk of the contract, pre-tax along the lines of 10%. I didn't realize league rules (unless they've changed) limit agents' takes to 3%.
Yeah- agents don't really take much- and a lot of really good ones even put some serious cash out of pocket for their guys.
I remember a few things Kevin's guy did- when selecting where he would train for pro day- agent paid out the money for the training and his travel, food and hotel down to Florida for it.
And after Kevin's injury in his 2nd year- team didn't want him to do anything but rest and rehab. We knew the injury was bad so the agent paid out of pocket to send Kev to Dr James Andrews for his opinion. Again- flight, travel for him and my wife. When it was determined he needed major surgery- the agent paid again for my wife to fly down to be there for the surgery.

And there are agents that just suck too. Anything they pay for- they want back from the player,
One of the best guys out there handles a lot of Rutgers guys - Pat Capra- he always does good and goes beyond. He gets all of his guys involved in charities and foundations.
It is also why it sucks when some of these guys get a good one who wasnt drafted high and some mega agent swoops in and takes them right before the big contract.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RUSK97
You watch ESPN? … well spoken, hell even understandable, is no longer a requirement.
That always reminds me of the time I really saw my wife get so pissed off at some old lady at a charity event. Or, it may have been when Kevin got elected into his HS HOF. He finished his speech and this lady comes up to my wife and says "you must be so proud, he is so well spoken, I wasn't expecting that"
My wife's response "you don't like Rutgers, or is it something else? Why didn't you think he was going to be able to speak well?" lol

Disagree- had it happen to me 20 years ago. Making high 6 figure for 3 years after years of busting ass for much less. Have clients, contracts etc signed for at least 2-3 more years and no reason it would stop. Figured on a 50 y/o retirement- you no longer live like you are making 70k. You don’t go crazy but your vacation is a little nicer, you get the heated seats and leather in your car, move up from a starter home, go out a little more.
Then the company you are crushing it for goes under- no more money coming in and it takes 6-12 months to get back with someone else but your clients are gone and starting over.
Easy to say, you shouldn’t have gotten a nicer car or home. Just not as easy to live like you make 50k if you are making 500k, even if you don’t go crazy on spending.

But did losing you job make you go “broke”? Or were you smart enough to have made wise decisions with it so you didn’t?

Either way…A company going under is a much different scenario than taking a job as an athlete that has an average career span of 2-5 years and thinking that’s gonna set you up for life.

1. I don't think Shell was bigger than Earl.
2. Pacheco is far from an average back. Hopefully, his career is far better than the average back.

1. I don't think Shell was bigger than Earl.
2. Pacheco is far from an average back. Hopefully, his career is far better than the average back.
You're right: Earl was big. But did you see the hit?

Like you, I hope Pacheco has a long career.

But did losing you job make you go “broke”? Or were you smart enough to have made wise decisions with it so you didn’t?

Either way…A company going under is a much different scenario than taking a job as an athlete that has an average career span of 2-5 years and thinking that’s gonna set you up for life.
The reality of it was that I spent 2 years trying to help him build his business back up and then another 3 years basically starting over to get back to where I was. Prior to what had happened I was 46 and had a plan to retire at 50. Those 2 years without income and another starting over- all while still having a mortgage and bills that had been within my means, at the time, ate into my smart savings.
There is a point to it though- many say to make sure you live below your means. And you can do so and still it may look like you are living way above the average person- and then something happens that puts an immediate end to your means.
And too many pro athletes do this and while they may recover and or, they may still have some decent savings- it could catch up to them 3-4 years later while they are trying to suppliment their new much lower income with their savings.

Pacheco's already logged two years and has two remaining. He makes just under 1MM a year, so aside from any other streams of revenue, he's probably bringing in 550k a year net? What are the chances he'll survive another two years and still be able to negotiate another better paying contract?

No wonder these guys are broke within two years of retirement.

Seems like a bad choice of career to devote your young life to. They want to be FB players. No one is forcing them.

Seems like a bad choice of career to devote your young life to. They want to be FB players. No one is forcing them.
It’s funny- maybe not so much…but as a parent, I now wish he never played past Highschool.
But he would do it all over again even though he feels 20 years older than he is.

But you have that talent in anything- to be the best at what you wanted to do as a kid.

Some of these kids want to do it to bring them self or family out of the horrible life they live. Some, with a great family, just have that love, drive and passion.

With us, he just told his mom at 8 that he was going NFL. By the time he was in HighSchool- she could have paid cash for any school he wanted to go too(and she told college coaches the same thing) - he was not going to have to support Mom and family.
He was a good student and everything else- but- he was going to play NFL.
Damn kid got almost 4 years in the NFL and still thinks he failed. But also has a very successful post football career.

The point is- not so easy to say they chose it- sometimes- it is just a calling

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
It’s funny- maybe not so much…but as a parent, I now wish he never played past Highschool.
But he would do it all over again even though he feels 20 years older than he is.

But you have that talent in anything- to be the best at what you wanted to do as a kid.

Some of these kids want to do it to bring them self or family out of the horrible life they live. Some, with a great family, just have that love, drive and passion.

With us, he just told his mom at 8 that he was going NFL. By the time he was in HighSchool- she could have paid cash for any school he wanted to go too(and she told college coaches the same thing) - he was not going to have to support Mom and family.
He was a good student and everything else- but- he was going to play NFL.
Damn kid got almost 4 years in the NFL and still thinks he failed. But also has a very successful post football career.

The point is- not so easy to say they chose it- sometimes- it is just a calling

Funny. I've mentioned this before but I ran on the same club lacrosse midfield line as a member of the RU football Hall of Fame after he retired from the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL in the late 70s. Bounced around the NFL for a year. CFL Rookie of the Year and 3x all CFL TE. Played QB, FB and TE at Rutgers. Was an HM AA midfielder his junior year at RU but didn't play his senior year preparing for the NFL draft. Years before Madden said on TV he said "play 1 game in the NFL and things will be different". In Canada he had an off-season position with IBM in marketing. Got an offer a few years later and moved to Xerox. So RU football players really earn degrees. He used to get busted on being a 6'3 235 lb midfield which was rare back those days. His response "I don't want to hear it. None of you guy s had to try to block Buck Buchannon".

Last edited:
Funny. I've mentioned this before but I ran on the same club lacrosse midfield line as a member of the RU football Hall of Fame after he retired from the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL in the late 70s. Bounced around the NFL for a year. CFL Rookie of the Year and 3x all CFL TE. Played QB, FB and TE at Rutgers. Was an HM AA midfielder his junior year at RU but didn't play his senior year preparing for the NFL draft. Years before Madden said on TV he said "play 1 game in the NFL and things will be different". In Canada he had an off-season position with IBM in marketing. Got an offer a few years later and moved to Xerox. So RU football players really earn degrees. He used to get busted on being a 6'3 235 lb midfield which was rare back those days. His response "I don't want to hear it. None of you guy s had to try to block Buck Buchannon".
The last line is so telling- After Kevin finished playing, he would do some hoops here back in town. They were competitive as hell but still pretty friendly as it was at a local gym.
Some kid he played against in HighSchool tried to trash talk him about how even in HighSchool and college, he played soft.
His response was, do you want me to call- he named 3 HOF he played against in the NFL or call your 3 HS buddies that you played against?

• Haha
Reactions: knightfan7
I had a friend in my gym who tried out to the then Boston Patriots camp as a defensive tackle. He was pulled aside by all pro offensive tackle, John Hannah. His advice to my friend was " If you make it on the Team, safeguard your money. Don't buy a big house or fancy sports cars. So many guys that I know only lasted 2 or 3 years in the NFL and are now broke." At the time John was driving a 5 or 6 year old pickup truck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT