ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Expansion talk should start

Any expansion should also include the tangible benefit of adding some fertile recruiting ground.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Haha
No you are wrong. You are missing several pieces. You do know that their TV deal is just for their home games right? They also get paid $6 plus from the ACC.
They are #7 in revenue for college football. So please stop crying poverty.
ND is going to drop several places down that list soon, thanks to Delaney's foresight to only sign 6 year TV contracts last time. The new B1G TV deals, with streaming companies fighting to get a part, will likely have some B1G teams that don't have the brand or success of ND making more revenue than ND.

I do think ND is happy with their ACC arrangement, though, because the ACC basically gave them everything ND wanted. Better Oct/Nov football scheduling options without joining a football conference, a conference home for their other sports, and better bowl game options for those years when they are bowl eligible but not a NYD or playoff worthy team.

You have to wonder how comfortable ND would be if dominoes started falling and the ACC lost Va Tech and NC St to the SEC. North Carolina and UVA had some talks with the BIG. Would they jump ship from the ACC like the did the Big East?
I don’t care about expansion at this point,I am just thrilled we have a seat at the table.What a difference the influx of money has made to our Athletic Department, giving all our programs a level playing field to compete. If there is any BIG expansion I hope it can wait until our loan is paid off and we have a full BIG share to work with.

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
Krup, I think the Big 10 could match Oklahoma/Oklahoma State with Texas-Austin and Central Florida. Insane recruiting areas, great facilities, huge schools, and state populations that are going to the moon.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Krup, I think the Big 10 could match Oklahoma/Oklahoma State with Texas-Austin and Central Florida. Insane recruiting areas, great facilities, huge schools, and state populations that are going to the moon.
I don’t think Texas is going to another conference. The ACC is set up perfectly to take another hybrid member, and Texas makes the most sense for that.

You have to wonder how comfortable ND would be if dominoes started falling and the ACC lost Va Tech and NC St to the SEC. North Carolina and UVA had some talks with the BIG. Would they jump ship from the ACC like the did the Big East?
I don’t care about expansion at this point,I am just thrilled we have a seat at the table.What a difference the influx of money has made to our Athletic Department, giving all our programs a level playing field to compete. If there is any BIG expansion I hope it can wait until our loan is paid off and we have a full BIG share to work with.
When you think about conference expansion you have to consider the TV partners for the conferences involved.

ESPN has full control of the ACC and SEC games. They aren’t going to do something that weakens the ACC.

ESPN only shares the Big 12 deal, so they don’t care much if the Big 12 dies, especially if that helps the ACC and SEC at the same time.

Texas to the ACC as a hybrid member, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC. I don’t know what the Big Ten’s strategy would be at that point, maybe raid the PAC 12 since their TV contract and GOR are running out in 2023 and those schools CAN move?

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Krup, you are missing the obvious. If all those things happen, this would be a great time to bring UConn into the Big Ten.

• Haha
Reactions: MADHAT1
I think it should be in the equation.
I think recruiting is one of those things that should be a disqualifying factor if the recruit depth in a school's footprint is especially bad (like New England or, say, upstate NY) and it is hard to see how they can be competitive in the long term. I don't know if a strong recruiting area is high on the list as a positive, because the incumbent schools would probably just rather keep that school out and raid that area for recruits instead.

When you think about conference expansion you have to consider the TV partners for the conferences involved.

ESPN has full control of the ACC and SEC games. They aren’t going to do something that weakens the ACC.

ESPN only shares the Big 12 deal, so they don’t care much if the Big 12 dies, especially if that helps the ACC and SEC at the same time.

Texas to the ACC as a hybrid member, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC. I don’t know what the Big Ten’s strategy would be at that point, maybe raid the PAC 12 since their TV contract and GOR are running out in 2023 and those schools CAN move?
I agree but with the ACC ESPN deal. The financial disparity between the ACC and the BIG/SEC is just going to grow. End of the day the ACC will have to get creative or have a tough time keeping up with both the BIG and SEC.
That’s holds true withe B12 and PAC 10 also.

Maybe Texas to the ACC does it, but I can’t see that happening.

I think recruiting is one of those things that should be a disqualifying factor if the recruit depth in a school's footprint is especially bad (like New England or, say, upstate NY) and it is hard to see how they can be competitive in the long term. I don't know if a strong recruiting area is high on the list as a positive, because the incumbent schools would probably just rather keep that school out and raid that area for recruits instead.
I see that point. I'm saying a tangible benefit, not the be all end all. If the school could bring in enough revenue great. Get the conference in front of more eyeballs wonderful. My concept of recruiting territory is that if they could also get the conference another recruiting feeder state or region that would be ideal.
I posted I saw the video, where it was predicted the BIG10 would add Iowa State and Kansas. Not to put down these 2 choices, I just don't think they would sufficiently add enough. There are many places like that.
Now the big 10 teams can recruit everywhere. However, having a representative in say Texas makes sense to me. It adds value. I am looking at population shifts as well when I bring this up.

If you are a good coach you recruit everywhere. Big Ten isn't in Florida but Schiano get kids from Florida. I think it's above zero but not by much.
It is true, we and others in the BIG can recruit everywhere. It does help get your foot in the door in more homes. Just look at the BIG in NJ. I see it as intrinsic value, especially if big brands are not on the table. Not the be all end all, just a nice extra, especially when you look at population shifts.

It is true, we and others in the BIG can recruit everywhere. It does help get your foot in the door in more homes. Just look at the BIG in NJ. I see it as intrinsic value, especially if big brands are not on the table. Not the be all end all, just a nice extra, especially when you look at population shifts.
The Big Ten has always recruited well in NJ way before Schiano, way before getting into the Big Ten. There is zero logic in that theory.

No schools are worth mentioning other than ND, Okla, Texas, NC, and Va. Any other potential candidates bring nothing to the table or water down the conference.

The Big Ten has always recruited well in NJ way before Schiano, way before getting into the Big Ten. There is zero logic in that theory.
Agree to disagree. It was decent, it has gotten better. There will always be those prospects that will go anywhere. After that, there is a certain percentage that will be more likely to go away if family and friends can definitely see them play.
How many prospects mention the BIG10 in areas Rutgers is just recently having success? I think it all helps. Again it is not the top thing on my list. I'm looking long-term as well. I look at it like a tie-breaker between candidates, that is all.

One more case in point. Louisville, when they were in the Big East with Rutgers they recruited NJ hard for prospects and pulled out some nice talent. Since they don't have a conference tie-in they have not been nearly as successful. Boston College used to do great in the whole state of NJ. It is changing under Hadley somewhat, but they have not pulled a big player out of South Jersey for a while. No one like, that big back from AC, some years ago.

I’d love FSU to join the B1G, but doubt it happens.

Cons
1. GOR lasts until 2036-2037
2. Travel costs for all sports
3. Geographic & cultural outlier

Pros
1. Strong in all sports - great traditions
2. Academics improving - on B1G level
3. Large state university
4. Brings in FL recruiting & tv markets

Still don’t think it happens but it’s fun to dream
agree... Florida market would be big addition, adding someone like Virginia would help that with the geography. Would be great, but doubtful

UNC and UVa
-public schools
-excellent academics and athletics
-locks up basketball, soccer and lacrosse
-contiguous land to current B1G footprint
-demographics make sense, south and coastal in population centers
-before you say will never happen, see Maryland-the $ was too good and they can always schedule a hoops game with Duke every year
-I'd love to be in the East pod with them and MD for football ( best of both new and old )
-the traditional B1G schools can play us less ( makes them happy )
I agree with everything in your post but don't see UNC leaving Duke or UVa being allowed to leave VaTech. I would keep an eye on GATech. Although not in the footprint they bring the academics and access to Atlanta and the Southeast market. The other school I would consider is Vandy. Again not in the footprint and private but they could be a southern NW and give you additional access to the southeast and a rapidly growing market. From a demographics prospective both markets would probably insure the payouts grow substantially for the B1G overall. Neither of these schools moves the needle much in football in terms of on field competition but the RU / MD addition was not done for on the field competitiveness but for access to markets and viewers.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
I see that point. I'm saying a tangible benefit, not the be all end all. If the school could bring in enough revenue great. Get the conference in front of more eyeballs wonderful. My concept of recruiting territory is that if they could also get the conference another recruiting feeder state or region that would be ideal.
I posted I saw the video, where it was predicted the BIG10 would add Iowa State and Kansas. Not to put down these 2 choices, I just don't think they would sufficiently add enough. There are many places like that.
Now the big 10 teams can recruit everywhere. However, having a representative in say Texas makes sense to me. It adds value. I am looking at population shifts as well when I bring this up.

I doubt that the B1G would consider adding Iowa State since you already have the University of Iowa in the small population state of Iowa.

If they would consider Iowa State, then they would also consider adding Pitt in the larger population state of Pennsylvania. Not that Pitt would leave the ACC (GOR's until 2036) or would get a B1G offer.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I doubt that the B1G would consider adding Iowa State since you already have the University of Iowa in the small population state of Iowa.

If they would consider Iowa State, then they would also consider adding Pitt in the larger population state of Pennsylvania. Not that Pitt would leave the ACC (GOR's until 2036) or would get a B1G offer.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Agree. Iowa St. adds nothing. Pitt is a great fit for all purposes other than marketplace, which effectively excludes them. The GOR makes it a non-starter regardless.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
To my mind, Pitt would be light years ahead of Iowa State or Kansas for that matter. Just think Pitt almost was in the Big 10 decades ago. I don't see PSU letting it happen.

Reactions: Wolv RU
To my mind, Pitt would be light years ahead of Iowa State or Kansas for that matter. Just think Pitt almost was in the Big 10 decades ago. I don't see PSU letting it happen.

Your right. Pitt almost got into the B1G years ago but I think it was Michigan State that got the invite.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Who really knows what would happen with regard to GOR if push came to shove in any particular case? I don't think anybody does. When Maryland jumped there were many that thought the fifty-million dollar exit fee would stop the move, but it didn't. Everything can be negotiated.

Edited to add: I wonder what Pitt fans would prefer? I know Maryland fans didn't feel very welcome in their own conference, and, even though it was abrupt, are much happier now. But Pitt fans may not feel that way.

(p.s., Pittsburgh one of my favorite cities. I will never forget driving through that tunnel and seeing the city when I popped out on the other side)...

Last edited:
Who really knows what would happen with regard to GOR if push came to shove in any particular case? I don't think anybody does. When Maryland jumped there were many that thought the fifty-million dollar exit fee would stop the move, but it didn't. Everything can be negotiated.

Edited to add: I wonder what Pitt fans would prefer? I know Maryland fans didn't feel very welcome in their own conference, and, even though it was abrupt, are much happier now. But Pitt fans may not feel that way.

(p.s., Pittsburgh one of my favorite cities. I will never forget driving through that tunnel and seeing the city when I popped out on the other side)...
No ACC school is going to risk taking on the GOR concept in court when the downside risk is a huge amount of money plus a long time spent in legal limbo, and the conference has been strengthened since MD left by the addition of the ND hybrid arrangement and consolidation of their rights with ESPN (and away from Raycom).

They may not like making less than the B1G and SEC, but they are solidly in third place in revenue and are relevant to the football championship thanks to Clemson.

People need to give up the pipe dream of ACC schools leaving and realize the B12 and P12 are unstable with TV contracts and GORs running out, so those are the schools that have the ability to easily move.

Top 2 choices are UNC & UVA
GA Tech, FSU & Kansas would also be solid additions
ND & Texas are pie in the sky options, and OU is tied in w the Pokes

Reactions: Ridge 22
For the longgg range future of the conference, need at least one in Texas and/or Florida.

30 million people in Texas and growing

22 million people in Florida and growing

Insane football talent and interest
Very underrated basketball talent
Great facilities
Long Horn Network $ means less and less each year compared to what Big Ten schools get
Espn would end the contract tomorrow if they could
Need to get schools in at least one of these states

Call me greedy but I do not want to se the Big Ten expand any further. Rutgers teams are finally starting to show improvement in terms of competitiveness. I do not want to see a top tiered program come in and push us back down the pecking order.

Reactions: fsg2
NC growing
VA growing
Both schools fit B1G footprint
Both are big accredited state schools
Both have solid athletics

UT & FSU, though attractive candidates, I’d be shocked if either or both made the jump

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT