ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Wrestling Tournament Thread, 10am/SUNDAY Noon , BTN + :

"141 | BOOM! Michael Van Brill earns a 3-0 win over Javier Gasca III (Michigan State)! He'll wrestle tomorrow."

Let’s admit it. Not a good day for the scarlet knights. Not one kid beat a higher seated wrestler and Gravina and DeLuca lost to lower seated kids. WNG has been quite. He is the most pro Rutgers fan and don’t think he can spin that we had a good day. Iowa also has a bad day. At least they had some kids beat higher seeded kids and won some in OT. We need to rebound tomorrow and show up in Cleveland. Otherwise, it will be a long off season.
Just telling it like it is.

Let’s admit it. Not a good day for the scarlet knights. Not one kid beat a higher seated wrestler and Gravina and DeLuca lost to lower seated kids. WNG has been quite. He is the most pro Rutgers fan and don’t think he can spin that we had a good day. Iowa also has a bad day. At least they had some kids beat higher seeded kids and won some in OT. We need to rebound tomorrow and show up in Cleveland. Otherwise, it will be a long off season.
Just telling it like it is.
Agreed.

I would also go to say that the seeding wasn't set up for Rutgers to succeed. Lewis' chance of placing higher than his seed is/was slim. Same goes for Gravina. Sprinkle in Suriano's situation and it's bad all around.

RU is what they are ... the 11th best team in the B1G ... was expecting about 8th going in ... at least some guys qualified and RU has a shot at top 20 at nationals.

And people questioned me when I said I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't really the flu.
Hope he doesn’t have Brown syndrome (track) and be hurt and not compete at nationals ... would be great to see an RU athlete win a national title ... in anything.

I am not being “quite”. I will give my opinion if you want it. I think we had a bad tourney in that we did not wrestle our best. If you saw Scott’s interview about NS, he said he intended to wrestle him throuout the tourney and would evaluate his “lower body injury” after each bout. He re-aggravated it against the Illinois kid so they pulled him from the tourney. Smart move on his part in my opinion. Same with Cael on Nolf. Rl should know better that you don’t let Imar hook up on upper body throws. Bad move. Del and Nick G are better than that. Hopefully both get to nationals and redeem themselves. Disappointed. I am sure so are the coaches.

Reactions: biazza38 and rondi
This win prollly earned MVB a trip to nationals

Rutgers Wrestling‏@RUWrestling 2h2 hours ago

157 | TICKET PUNCHED
1f39f.png
! No. 8 John Van Brill wins by decision over Jake Tucker (Michigan State), 5-2, to secure his trip to nationals and earn a spot on the @bigten podium!

This is the 4th time I've reposted this quote from RU , lol.

Daily Schedule

Welcome to 2018 NCAA DI Wrestling Championships! The championships are a time for everyone to celebrate and experience college wresting at the highest level. Events are being added as details become available so check back for updates!

2018 DI WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE
THURSDAY, MARCH 15

Time Event Location
11 a.m. Gates open Quicken Loans Arena
Noon Session I Quicken Loans Arena
3 - 7 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Fan Festival Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Hall A
6 p.m. Gates Open Quicken Loans Arena
7 p.m. Session 2 Quicken Loans Arena

FRIDAY, MARCH 16
Time Event Location
10 am. Gates Open Quicken Loans Arena
11 a.m. Session 3 Quicken Loans Arena
2 - 7:30 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Fan Festival Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Hall A
7 p.m. Gates open Quicken Loans Arena
8 p.m. Session 4 Quicken Loans Arena

SATURDAY, MARCH 17
Time Event Location
10 a.m. Gates open Quicken Loans Arena
11 a.m. Session 5 Quicken Loans Arena
1 - 7:30 p.m. NCAA Wrestling Fan Festival Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Hall A
7 p.m. Gates open Quicken Loans Arena
7:35 - 7:50 p.m. Parade of All-Americans Quicken Loans Arena
8 p.m. Session 6 Quicken Loans Arena
*All times are local, eastern. All times, events, and locations are subject to change.

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1/daily-schedule

This win prollly earned MVB a trip to nationals

Rutgers Wrestling‏@RUWrestling 2h2 hours ago

157 | TICKET PUNCHED
1f39f.png
! No. 8 John Van Brill wins by decision over Jake Tucker (Michigan State), 5-2, to secure his trip to nationals and earn a spot on the @bigten podium!

This is the 4th time I've reposted this quote from RU , lol.
Can one of the brothers use their historical family name to avoid the confusion?!!

Reactions: Abro1975
SUNDAY, MARCH 4Session 3: 12 p.m. ET
Session 4: 3 p.m. ET (championship session)

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf..._it_was_a_tough_night.html#incart_river_index

"Lewis and Scott DelVecchio (133) are the only two Rutgers wrestlers in the hunt to wrestle back for third place when competition resumes Sunday at noon. Suriano will finish sixth when he medical forfeits a second time in his placement bout while No. 12 Eleazar DeLuca (149) and No. 18 John VanBrill (157) will wrestle for seventh-place."

Last edited:
Better Suriano heal for NCAAs ... but still disappointed no wrestlers at the top of the podium ... can’t change it ... there are 2 chances for 3rd so hopefully the team gets one!!!

I'm confused, I thought MVB was finished after his second loss? Trackwrestlings brackets doesn't show MVB vs Gasca
There is a mini bracket with the 6 wrestlers not top 8 wrestling for 9th place....there now down to 4 left..As mentioned finishing 9th (at weight with 8AQ spots) is considered when NCAA picks At large (Wildcards)

On track wrestling scroll down past 285lbs when choosing weight and it will show all the extra brackets

Final 4 wrestling for 9th place at 141lbs are:
Cole Weaver-Indiana
MVB
Tommy Thorn-Minnesota
Alec McKenna-Northwestern

Last edited:
Hope he doesn’t have Brown syndrome (track) and be hurt and not compete at nationals ... would be great to see an RU athlete win a national title ... in anything.

Brown's syndrome is a little bewildering to me. Suriano's seems to be of a different nature at this time. If he isn't close to 100%, my guess is he is doing this to try and help preserve his #1 ranking and possible #1 overall seed at the Nationals. Similar to what NATO (presumably) did when he was coming off injury and OSU visited us.

Brown's syndrome is a little bewildering to me. Suriano's seems to be of a different nature at this time. If he isn't close to 100%, my guess is he is doing this to try and help preserve his #1 ranking and possible #1 overall seed at the Nationals. Similar to what NATO (presumably) did when he was coming off injury and OSU visited us.

I don't see how Cruz isn't the #1 seed , being the returning champ, and current #1 in the Coaches poll, as long as he wins the EIWA today, which he should, no other ranked opponents a125 there. I think NATO gets #2 seed if he wins today , Suriano will be #3 or ecen vice versa, and Lee #4. .

MVB on deck Mat 1

Maybe NS had a wedding back in NJ he had to attend. Smells like Mr S calling the shots again.
Why do you always make up crap when there isn’t any ..staph is nothing to mess with ..hopefully it’s cleared up but certainly nothing that he needed to finish this tournament for .. it’s just you and your PSU bias talking ..stop trying to sell the agenda you think is goin on with absolutely no facts to back it up

OK I'm done. I just didn't expect an 11th out of 14 team place. To me 11th out of 14 isn't very good. I thought RU was better and would exceed expectations.

We were 11th ranked team out of 14 during regular season. Tournament seemed to track to our BIG regular season performance of 3 wins and 6 losses.

I don't see how Cruz isn't the #1 seed , being the returning champ, as long as he wins the EIWA today, which he should, no other ranked opponents a125 there. I think NATO gets #2 seed if he wins today , Suriano will be #3 or ecen vice versa, and Lee #4. .

MVB on deck Mat 1

Good point and since Cruz isnt in the B1G, his name doesn't get mentioned much. I was going solely on NS's #1 in 2/3 ranking services.

Yes it does ..look at the brackets drop down ...four weight classes have that extra bracket
The brackets actually shows him at the top bracket so not sure why they switched it so he faces Thorn ....kinda confused about that

We were 11th ranked team out of 14 during regular season. Tournament seemed to track to our BIG regular season performance of 3 wins and 6 losses.
Yes I know, but many, including myself thought we had a better tournament team than dual team this year. When your basically conceding 197 and heavyweight most matches it made sense. However that theory in retrospect was wrong and I was completely wrong for believing that and elevating my expectations. Once again 11 out of 14 even in the tough B1G is not very good at this point in the program. Like I said I know I'll be lowering my expectations come NCAA's and for next year's prospects.

What was once considered one of our better squads turned into(via injury or whatever the hell happened) a 8-7 (3-6) dual and current 11th place in B1G Championships. After the dual performance we all moved the needle back to well if RU does well in B1G's all is OK. Now we're moving the needle back again to NCAA's(due to injury or whatever the hell happened). One more shot to get it done if not? I guess we just move the needle to next year.

Last edited:
Today is another day. Let’s hope the boys are ready today. There is still a lot at stake today regardless of WBs or going forward.

Van Brill's match will not count towards our team score, and will go towards at-large qualification considerations for NCAA's.

141 | Michael Van Brill will be the first to go for Rutgers during Session III. He'll face No. 6 Tommy Thorn (Minnesota) on Mat 1.

So Van Brill got the medical forfeit over Thorn and takes 9th. I guess this puts him in the game for a wildcard?

Reactions: IsItLuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT