ADVERTISEMENT

Camden - Manasquan

I think the Manasquan coach has a pretty good reputation in the Shore Conference. They lost their best player (Darius Adams) before the season started and yet continue to field a highly competitive team. Taking the air out of the ball when he did may not have been the best strategy but it does appear they got a raw deal at the end.

It was the last play of the game. It’s easy.
Simply reverse the overturn. Period.
Couldn’t be simpler. I would GUARANTEE the Camden coach would agree. If I was the coach I would do the right thing pure and simple. Life lesson and teachable moment… for everyone. What good is “winning” unfairly?
Remember the RU Ohio State game-- we're sorry but you're still screwed.

The concept of "simply reverse the overturn" is an interesting one, but would likely be pretty hard to implement in this spot (unless Camden willing gave up their place)...there are by-laws in place that specifically call out how to handle situations like this, that being that once the referees leave the court, the result is final and nothing can be changed from an officiating standpoint. If the by-laws stated that games can be reviewed after the fact, then sure, it's easy to change it. But if the NJSIAA steps in and reverses it, there is a very strong case from the other side that what they are doing goes against the rules that were written and approved by everyone (and that officiating errors are simply part of the game).

Reactions: redlinehw
Definitely a conundrum for the Camden leadership. Do you say we lost fair and square, or do you take the gift? I don't think there is a precedent for a team voluntarily saying the refs got it wrong and we will forfeit.

Pat Summit had a chance when the refs screwed CVS and RU but she was all too happy to take the tainted W.

Definitely a conundrum for the Camden leadership. Do you say we lost fair and square, or do you take the gift? I don't think there is a precedent for a team voluntarily saying the refs got it wrong and we will forfeit.

Pat Summit had a chance when the refs screwed CVS and RU but she was all too happy to take the tainted W.
You can stop at Camden leadership!

0.00% chance “The HIGH” would ever forfeit.

This is a program that thinks they invented basketball and often cheat/skirt the rules to field their teams lol.

Game was streamed.

Not sure why you just can’t go to the video tape as Warner Wolf used to say.

Reactions: JDNB
njsiaa is awful and will do whatever is the oppostite of makes the most sense. No shotclock (rewards bad offense and stalling), shortening the basketball season while football plays forever, no tournament of champions, playing the same groups for boys and girls on the same day so fans have to choose which one to go to...I can go on and on
They played the hockey state championships at 1pm on a Monday. Insane.

Reactions: Shell21
njsiaa is awful and will do whatever is the oppostite of makes the most sense. No shotclock (rewards bad offense and stalling), shortening the basketball season while football plays forever, no tournament of champions, playing the same groups for boys and girls on the same day so fans have to choose which one to go to...I can go on and on
They need to institute a shot clock. Long overdue.

Winter sports are insanely short. Wrestling is like 6-7 weeks before playoffs start.

They can lengthen winter but they should not be touching football. What theyve done with football is incredible. Shouldve always only had 1 champ.

Reactions: Shell21
Game was streamed.

Not sure why you just can’t go to the video tape as Warner Wolf used to say.
The NJSIAA doesn't use video review...can't just make up new rules on the fly that go against the current rules that are on the books.

I figure the NJSIAA will release a BS statement Ike this . I wrote it up for them if they read this board

The NJSIAA would like to applaud the efforts of the student-athletes from both Manasquan and Camden High Schools in last night’s thrilling (insert sponsor and official tournament name here). The NJSIAA is committed to sportsmanship and our policy is not to comment on the performance of officials.

The mission of the NJSIAA is to assist member schools in providing equitable education-based interscholastic athletic opportunities that support academic achievement, good sportsmanship and fair play for student athletes.

Through collaboration with key stakeholders the NJSIAA will strive to achieve student athlete growth in an ever-changing environment for their future success.

NJSIAA VALUES

• A physically and emotionally safe and healthy playing environment
  • Educational experiences of all student athletes through participation in interscholastic sports
  • Excellence in academics and athletics
  • Rules that support fair play
  • Cooperation among member schools to advance individual and collective well-being
  • Programs that through interscholastic participation develop good citizenship, promote healthy lifestyle, foster involvement from a diverse population and promotes school/community relations
  • Properly trained officials who enhance interscholastic competition
  • Student athlete engagement in programs that promote the understanding that interscholastic athletics is a privilege
  • Insistence that good sportsmanship be exhibited at all times by student athletes, coaches, officials and spectators
  • Effective communication to assist in understanding the function of the NJSIAA at all levels

Thank you again to the student-athletes of both schools for their efforts in last nights (insert sponsor name of tournament here)

credit - plum street rutgers fan board !

Reactions: newell138
Why?

The ruin a highly important game because of their incompetence

Or maybe they had other reasons for their “call”
Because that's not part of what they sign up for when they take the assignment...it's bad enough trying to find high school refs today; no reason to make even more barriers for it and/or drive more good officials away from the sport(s).

It's pathetic that they make a bad call and suddenly there was some fix involved...if they were fixing the game, that's a pretty pathetic attempt at it that you leave it up to that shot (especially when the official called it good on the floor).

Its clear. Manasquan won the game. Very simple to rule on this
How so? The by-laws are very clear that once the referees leave the court, the game is final and no appeals or changes can be made to officiating decisions. Both schools (and every team in the state) agrees to play by those rules. How would it be "very simple" to change them after the fact? Unless Camden is volunteering to give back the win, then this seems pretty complex to me.

Reactions: dconifer

Quick story from my years of coaching wrestling. We were in the State Sectionals and found out in our locker room that one of our wrestlers had a very small case of ringworm on him. He was one of better wrestlers and looking at the matchup he would have won or pinned his opponent. We , the coaches decided we needed to scratch him and forfeit that weight class. We could have hid it with some tape etc. We lost by 1 point.

The wrestlers were livid with us on the bus ride home. But the head coach got up and said , we did the right thing. What if we gave kids on that team and our team ringworm right before the states and kids working their whole lives to get to the states had to back out. He also said you will be mad at us for a few years but in the long run you will see we did the right thing.

Saying all that, the evidence it 100% that the shot went in before the clock ran out. Camden Coaches need to forfeit the game and do the right thing. With all the negative press Camden basketball had received over the years this would be a great story for them.

But they will never do it.

Quick story from my years of coaching wrestling. We were in the State Sectionals and found out in our locker room that one of our wrestlers had a very small case of ringworm on him. He was one of better wrestlers and looking at the matchup he would have won or pinned his opponent. We , the coaches decided we needed to scratch him and forfeit that weight class. We could have hid it with some tape etc. We lost by 1 point.

The wrestlers were livid with us on the bus ride home. But the head coach got up and said , we did the right thing. What if we gave kids on that team and our team ringworm right before the states and kids working their whole lives to get to the states had to back out. He also said you will be mad at us for a few years but in the long run you will see we did the right thing.

Saying all that, the evidence it 100% that the shot went in 'before the clock ran out. Camden Coaches need to forfeit the game and do the right thing. With all the negative press Camden basketball had received over the years this would be a great story for them.

But they will never do it.
As a fellow wrestler, love the ringworm story. I know a few such stories myself, such as wrestlers who refused to accept an injury-default victory over a wrestler who was beating them decisively at the time of the injury.

Camden will never do it, nor has any other team in the history of organized sports that I'm aware of (I'm sure there must be some obscure instance of it, however).

It's a slippery slope to expect coaches to make post-game proclamations of forfeiture to adjust for end-of-game officiating mistakes. Maybe there was a mistake earlier in the game that resulted in two points being taken away from Camden, or given to Manasquan unfairly (etc.). Should more post game adjustments be made for those as well?

It's unfortunate if the shot should have counted, but it was a tough call. They don't always get it right...

Camden just released a statement. They basically apologized for not having as many 4* out-of-town and out-of-state players on this year's roster as they should have. They will make sure this never happens again, so there will never be another tightly contested Camden High School basketball game ever again, which will prevent issues like this. There is also a link to donate for their state championship jackets and to help cover parade costs.

Camden just released a statement. They basically apologized for not having as many 4* out-of-town and out-of-state players on this year's roster as they should have. They will make sure this never happens again, so there will never be another tightly contested Camden High School basketball game ever again, which will prevent issues like this. There is also a link to donate for their state championship jackets and to help cover parade costs.
Ha
Watch Camden has to forfeit this game 6 months from now for some other reason

As a fellow wrestler, love the ringworm story. I know a few such stories myself, such as wrestlers who refused to accept an injury-default victory over a wrestler who was beating them decisively at the time of the injury.

Camden will never do it, nor has any other team in the history of organized sports that I'm aware of (I'm sure there must be some obscure instance of it, however).

It's a slippery slope to expect coaches to make post-game proclamations of forfeiture to adjust for end-of-game officiating mistakes. Maybe there was a mistake earlier in the game that resulted in two points being taken away from Camden, or given to Manasquan unfairly (etc.). Should more post game adjustments be made for those as well?

It's unfortunate if the shot should have counted, but it was a tough call. They don't always get it right...

Very bad comparison. The ringworm thing is not even close to this.
That is communicable and could have Infected other kids. It would have been breaking a rule . So yeah , I don’t think the coach or program should be commended for not cheating. Plus, the kids on the wrestling team still had the opportunity to win the match legitimately.
The Camden players or coaches did nothing wrong here .
Bad analogy !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT