ADVERTISEMENT

Could it be?

Agreed. Let's skip the NYD bowl games already and just turn the calendar ahead to Monday's game.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Was talking about this with my son today. Traditionally schools are one or the other. Big time, sustained success is rare for both sports at one school. I remember Florida had a magical period but in the end they are Football. SEC and Big money changes things vs the 90s but still think an issue.

We are not going to be a big time national powerhouse in football. Can we be good and have some really nice years, yes I think so.

However, basketball probably gives us our best chance to be a true Big Ten and even national story more often.

Go for broke in basketball and continue to up investment in Olympic sports. So much money coming in we should be good enough in football but don’t see any reason to go all in like the past. We simply won’t compete with Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Penn State in football. Yet we can beat them all in basketball.

We are good at many sports. Basketball, lacrosse, wrestling, field hockey, soccer, softball and baseball on the rise.

We just are not good at the most visible sport right now.
We're pretty much good or at worst competent in everything except football and maybe one or two sports like volleyball which has even shown some semblance of a pulse.

We're pretty much good or at worst competent in everything except football and maybe one or two sports like volleyball which has even shown some semblance of a pulse.
Volleyball is building the same way football is, and showing it takes times. But because it is volleyball it gets little to no exposure and no one cares that it is taking time.

Of the most visible sports, yes, we are a basketball school. I thought football can one day be the kind of program that vacillates between some range of 4-8 and 8-4 but now with all the rule changes, I don't even know that.

Of the most visible sports, yes, we are a basketball school. I thought football can one day be the kind of program that vacillates between some range of 4-8 and 8-4 but now with all the rule changes, I don't even know that.
Getting to the bolded in the B1G would be close to the equivalent of 12-0 around here.

At least in coverage as it would probably mean a big win somewhere along the line and a real NYD game appearance.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Was talking about this with my son today. Traditionally schools are one or the other. Big time, sustained success is rare for both sports at one school. I remember Florida had a magical period but in the end they are Football. SEC and Big money changes things vs the 90s but still think an issue.

We are not going to be a big time national powerhouse in football. Can we be good and have some really nice years, yes I think so.

However, basketball probably gives us our best chance to be a true Big Ten and even national story more often.

Go for broke in basketball and continue to up investment in Olympic sports. So much money coming in we should be good enough in football but don’t see any reason to go all in like the past. We simply won’t compete with Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Penn State in football. Yet we can beat them all in basketball.
There is definitely a metropolitan tristate bball network and culture that fed the Big East. We as a Big Ten school in the current environment stand to reap the benefits of our location. Very exciting

Volleyball is building the same way football is, and showing it takes times. But because it is volleyball it gets little to no exposure and no one cares that it is taking time.
While channel surfing I've occasionally come across volleyball on BTN. Never seen RU though.
I had to check if RU even competed in that sport.

NJ basketball is up there with being the best in the country. Some sustainability of tournament appearances may have some serious dividends in the next decade if we continue.
Drop the provincial recruiting thinking. Get the most talented players. It's a plus if they are from NJ.

Drop the provincial recruiting thinking. Get the most talented players. It's a plus if they are from NJ.
It’s not a requirement to get NJ players by no means, but it’s a very underrated thing to go to a school in state and the offer meaning something

While channel surfing I've occasionally come across volleyball on BTN. Never seen RU though.
I had to check if RU even competed in that sport.
They play at the College Ave Gym, idk if it's fitted for BTN cameras?

I don't think it's a one or other, but I think (know) that when I attended the Pike intro press conference at the RAC, it was met with appreciation.....at the door of the RAC was Pat Hobbs and Steve Pikiell, there to shake hands and thanked everyone for taking the time to show up.

Why does that matter?? Because as much as people want to make excuses, Pike could have hundreds of them. Instead he builds the program in the ways that overcome the hurdles and keeps things clean.

There's a plan and while some fans believe Pike isn't good, the results are what matters to me. Not the players recruited, but more importantly, the people/families/relationships with the assistant coaches......it's now spreading to the fanbase.

I appreciate the hard work this staff puts in. And it doesn't mean things are perfect or without criticism when warranted. But I will say it again.....where would RU be in terms of B1G visibility, without this Basketball program making these moves??

I really hope that there will be a day when Football AND basketball are relevant, recruiting well and are well coached well for an extended period of time. For now however, just ride the wave of momentum and don't let the negative people bother you.

Last edited:
Basketball SOOOOOO much easier than football to get good at.
Is this really true? Not sure Pike and co would agree. How many years were we bad in basketball? Just because rosters are smaller doesn't necessarilly mean it's alot easier to become good at basketball. There are also alot more D1 programs in hoops to compete for talent and, like football, the top recruits typically gravitate to the blue bloods. Plus football doesn't have the AAU infrastructure to deal with. Kansas St and Tulane fans are probably saying it's alot easier to turn around football. Maybe Pike and co have just done a better job of program building.

Is this really true? Not sure Pike and co would agree. How many years were we bad in basketball? Just because rosters are smaller doesn't necessarilly mean it's alot easier to become good at basketball. There are also alot more D1 programs in hoops to compete for talent and, like football, the top recruits typically gravitate to the blue bloods. Plus football doesn't have the AAU infrastructure to deal with. Kansas St and Tulane fans are probably saying it's alot easier to turn around football. Maybe Pike and co have just done a better job of program building.
This. That old argument is never well thought out.

It wasn't easy for the coaches before Pike

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT