ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was his word.

Also note, and this is also significant, that he is contradicting himself in the article. He is at once saying new cases are down. He then says the increase could be due to Mexico, though he never actually provides evidence it is happening in AZ, or patients coming in for some other condition testing positive, again with no actual data to support it.

You are right I was consumed by his main point, which was embarrassingly flawed, so I didn't delve into the rest of the article, but now that I have, I have a greater appreciation for how bad it is.
He provides sources-people and articles by NYT and WaPo....as I have pointed out to you already. Are they all lying? His reference to cases decreasing is relative to the prior increases...again that trend is still holding post Jun-2, that is starting Jun-3, the date you are so consumed with. Geez.

Fun vaccine development fact of the day - to make ~7.5 billion doses of Moderna's mRNA vaccine, I calculated that they will need to produce about 1.5 million pounds of mRNA.

Second fun fact, if, with Lonza, they get their planned 5 factories built and running at full capacity, they expect to be able to produce about 600 million to 1 billion doses a year. Based on the little bit of data they released, people will likely need at least two doses.

Fun vaccine development fact of the day - to make ~7.5 billion doses of Moderna's mRNA vaccine, I calculated that they will need to produce about 1.5 million pounds of mRNA.

Second fun fact, if, with Lonza, they get their planned 5 factories built and running at full capacity, they expect to be able to produce about 600 million to 1 billion doses a year. Based on the little bit of data they released, people will likely need at least two doses.

So basically, there will be no vaccine in the near future and we can't rely on that to save us from getting sick. Looks like herd immunity is the only way to go.

So enough to cover America and our neighbors?

So basically, there will be no vaccine in the near future and we can't rely on that to save us from getting sick. Looks like herd immunity is the only way to go.
As RU#’s has made clear on numerous occasions, that means 900k - 2.6 million Americans dead. Grade school simple math.

The title may be misleading but article is clearly describing the use of a specific UV light made a company that can "deactivate" the virus in 3 seconds. The light application could be used in a number of applications as the article mentions. One application that I read about was boxing air conditioning return vents with UV Lights that could "deactivate" the virus. This may limit the spread indoors.
That and the article never states what kind of radiation, which is also a miss, IMO. I've already seen someone with low technical IQ on FB citing this as why there's "zero risk" outdoors, which is a load of crap. However, it's good to have ways to deactivate the virus from high risk areas like hospitals. I wouldn't put much stock in a UVC system for room air, though, since the dilution that would occur in any ventilation system is pretty large and the dose is key to infection - I think circumstantial reports of infections through ventilation systems are questionable, at best - the vast majority are person to person.

That's if they can clear all the hurdles associated with mRNA vaccines - there are reasons an mRNA vaccine has never made it to market.

As RU#’s has made clear on numerous occasions, that means 900k - 2.6 million Americans dead. Grade school simple math.
That was an estimate based on what was known at the time.
Doctors and researchers have learned a lot since then. Several medicines and therapies have begun to show real promise in treating the disease.
I think the estimate of total deaths would be far lower with that in mind.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: RU-05
That and the article never states what kind of radiation, which is also a miss, IMO. I've already seen someone with low technical IQ on FB citing this as why there's "zero risk" outdoors, which is a load of crap. However, it's good to have ways to deactivate the virus from high risk areas like hospitals. I wouldn't put much stock in a UVC system for room air, though, since the dilution that would occur in any ventilation system is pretty large and the dose is key to infection - I think circumstantial reports of infections through ventilation systems are questionable, at best - the vast majority are person to person.

There was a fairly detailed account of people who got the virus in a restaurant in China where the people who got it were sitting in the direct path of the air and those at another table did not get it.
20VIRUS-RESTAURANT2-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/health/airflow-coronavirus-restaurants.html

Doctors and researchers have learned a lot since then. Several medicines and therapies have begun to show real promise in treating the disease.
Just my opinion.
Fair opinion to have and that may be right. But the facts around the math are unchanged. The herd immunity % is still the same, and no new data has been displayed to bring the IFR below his estimated range of 0.5-1%.

75% infected and 0.5% IFR still leaves over 1.2 million dead

That's correct...if no vaccine or cure (I think there will be) and if the virus doesn't weaken (low probability and no sign of it yet) or there isn't more natural immunity in the population than we think (possible, hard to get that data). Also, the rate at which we approach those numbers, via herd immunity, is hugely dependent on our interventions - so far some countries are doing so well that their transmission and death rates are very, very low and it would take decades to reach herd immunity (and they could completely eliminate the virus, like New Zealand has if not for infections from other countries).

There was a fairly detailed account of people who got the virus in a restaurant in China where the people who got it were sitting in the direct path of the air and those at another table did not get it.
20VIRUS-RESTAURANT2-superJumbo.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/health/airflow-coronavirus-restaurants.html

Have read that paper back when it was a preprint and while it's possible, I was and still am skeptical - read the actual paper and the limitations they talk about. The other limitation not discussed is that this was all based on interviews - maybe a couple of people are forgetting an interaction, walking by or in the bathroom or something. I think if it were truly airborne like this we'd see even far greater transmission that we've seen. Of course, I could be wrong.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#comment

Just my opinion.
That's part of why I've been estimating an infection fatality rate of 0.5-1.0%. Currently, our best data on that is 1.1-1.2% IFR based on NY and Spain having those rates (the only large populations with antibody population sampling, so the only countries that have a decent estimate of the true infection rate), but it's fair to say that perhaps a higher fraction of vulnerable people was infected in the first wave and that medical science is improving treatments (certainly know that's now becoming a factor with convalescent plasma, remdesivir, tocilizumab, and now dexamethasone), although my guess is, at best, these might halve the IFR. As I've also said, I think the engineered antibodies will blow these other treatments away and be at least close to a cure - I hope I'm right. But until we have any of that in place, I think the 0.5-10.0% IFR is a decent estimate and that eventually would lead to 0.0-2.6MM US deaths at 55-80% infected - simple math.

Reactions: Greg2020
Excellent interview of Dr. Fauci by a good friend of mine appearing in AJMC this month (I helped her put a few of the questions together). The interview flows across a range of interesting, important subjects, including HIV research (and why a vaccine is so elusive - he made his name in the HIV field), COVID research and how the two have some similarities and differences, as well as some interesting insights on the public health aspects of these diseases. As expected, Dr. Fauci gave clear, concise, logical answers. Worth a read.

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/issue...2FzQpAHb5aeUEfwVVVzQhrrEbNaWnyti6WHRmbwBeDrtA

He provides sources-people and articles by NYT and WaPo....as I have pointed out to you already. Are they all lying? His reference to cases decreasing is relative to the prior increases...again that trend is still holding post Jun-2, that is starting Jun-3, the date you are so consumed with. Geez.
1)It's not about lying, it's about contradicting points. Are AZ cases decreasing? Or are they increasing because of people from Mexico?

2)The fact that you can not see that the numbers are continuing to be updated is really something.

This is what he said: "As you can see, if you break down the new admissions by date of admission, as this chart does, the numbers are actually near zero over the past week." In his argument this was evidence of declining cases. Fast fwd one week, and the week he cites includes the highest one day total of admissions, and 3 days of 60 or more, a total that was reached only 2 times prior.

Amazingly you are still falling into this trap of thinking that graph is indicating a decline in cases.

3)I also love when a conservative outlet rips the liberal media, and then cites information from the NYT's to back their argument. Even funnier when they unwittingly use that information and it actually contradicts their central argument.

Last edited:
Excellent interview of Dr. Fauci by a good friend of mine appearing in AJMC this month (I helped her put a few of the questions together). The interview flows across a range of interesting, important subjects, including HIV research (and why a vaccine is so elusive - he made his name in the HIV field), COVID research and how the two have some similarities and differences, as well as some interesting insights on the public health aspects of these diseases. As expected, Dr. Fauci gave clear, concise, logical answers. Worth a read.

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/issue...2FzQpAHb5aeUEfwVVVzQhrrEbNaWnyti6WHRmbwBeDrtA

AJMC - Do you know who started that publication? Might be your next governor.

1)It's not about lying, it's about contradicting points. Are AZ cases decreasing? Or are they increasing because of people from Mexico?

2)The fact that you can not see that the numbers are continuing to be updated is really something.

This is what he said: "As you can see, if you break down the new admissions by date of admission, as this chart does, the numbers are actually near zero over the past week." In his argument this was evidence of declining cases. Fast fwd one week, and the week he cites includes the highest one day total of admissions, and 3 days of 60 or more, a total that was reached only 2 times prior.

Amazingly you are still falling into this trap of thinking that graph is indicating a decline in cases.

3)I also love when a conservative outlet rips the liberal media, and then cites information from the NYT's to back their argument. Even funnier when they unwittingly use that information and it actually contradicts their central argument.
Wow you're monotonous. If you're trying to bore me to death and get the last word you may actually "win".

1) He didn't just talk about AZ.
2) a) Yeh I see the numbers are being updated, and acknowledged it numerous times already, so you don't need to lie about "what I see" guy. I said I'll stay tuned. So far the hospitalization-by-date trends are down from the peak in AZ. Horowitz also included a rolling average chart from another source that could smooth out test reporting data that may batch high on a particular day. b) He made observations on the same data the media had when panicking about it--I asked you to provide proof of a media report that looked at those same exact numbers and then stated they would be adjusted up for lag effects. Still waiting.
3) Amazing that you still are so willfully ignorant of Horowitz's argument. But anyway, so what if valid info (not opinions or inferences) from a lib source is used in making a point. Your side celebrates any R or a WSJ opinion piece for example that rips another R or conservative position all the time, only to dismiss or attack the same source when a D or liberal position is criticized. Too funny.

The point was the cases in NY and PA are not rising.

How could the protests be the cause of the current spike in Texas, but NY which also had protests, continues to trend downward?
Large numbers of NYC residents had already been exposed previously?

Thanks. I don't follow NJ politics much - seems likable and is self-made, which is always nice to see. Interesting that the page doesn't say, anywhere, that he's a republican, but that's probably understandable with how unpopular Trump is in NJ. Good thing for him the election is next year and not this year - Murphy would win in a landslide this year, mostly due to Trump. Jack will have to creatively distance himself from Trump to win in NJ, though.

https://www.insidernj.com/press-rel...w-hes-just-another-maga-republican-hypocrite/

Reactions: RU23
Nothing really that new in this article, but it's still a good summary of what likely happened early in the outbreak in NJ, with initial cases very likely as early as late January/early February and the virus percolating undetected for 4-6 weeks before testing started a few days into March, way too late to do much about as it was already exploding exponentially by then.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...f8ldQQ8JDrvmSEiA8DgCI38lPYRkSdOv4ISeMpM22fpPg

Thanks. I don't follow NJ politics much - seems likable and is self-made, which is always nice to see. Interesting that the page doesn't say, anywhere, that he's a republican, but that's probably understandable with how unpopular Trump is in NJ. Good thing for him the election is next year and not this year - Murphy would win in a landslide this year, mostly due to Trump. Jack will have to creatively distance himself from Trump to win in NJ, though.

https://www.insidernj.com/press-rel...w-hes-just-another-maga-republican-hypocrite/

It was just funny to see AJMC, when the magazine was started they hired my wife to do the design and layout.

Interesting new development that raloxifene showed in vitro activity against Covid 19 replication in a supercomputer analysis of over 400,000 molecules. It is readily available as a generic (inexpensive) and can be orally administered. Could help prevent progression of mild to more severe disease - hopefully clinical studies will be authorized and commence soon. A glimmer of hope amongst the mainly bleak news:
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_890

Interesting new development that raloxifene showed in vitro activity against Covid 19 replication in a supercomputer analysis of over 400,000 molecules. It is readily available as a generic (inexpensive) and can be orally administered. Could help prevent progression of mild to more severe disease - hopefully clinical studies will be authorized and commence soon. A glimmer of hope amongst the mainly bleak news:
"mainly bleak news?"

2.2 million infected in the US, 120,688 dead, 8.24 million infected worldwide with 445K dead and infections out of control in Central and South America and India, infections rising in 20 states, no vaccine, no reliable treatment, 20 million unemployed, businesses folding, recession, colleges and school systems completely unprepared for "opening" in September (without huge financial outlays), spectre of second wave of viral infections, loss of $200 million plus for Rutgers, all sports seasons impacted. How much more bleak news do you need? Do you want to share some good news?

2.2 million infected in the US, 120,688 dead, 8.24 million infected worldwide with 445K dead and infections out of control in Central and South America and India, infections rising in 20 states, no vaccine, no reliable treatment, 20 million unemployed, businesses folding, recession, colleges and school systems completely unprepared for "opening" in September (without huge financial outlays), spectre of second wave of viral infections, loss of $200 million plus for Rutgers, all sports seasons impacted. How much more bleak news do you need? Do you want to share some good news?

readily available and cheap drug that reduces mortality in severe patients by 1/3 is pretty good news

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/world/europe/dexamethasone-coronavirus-covid.html

NJ seems to have it currently under control.

Large numbers of NYC residents had already been exposed previously?
This was brought up previously, and I think there is some sound reasoning there. I do think a 20-30% antibody rate would have an effect. Maybe not a big effect, but some effect.

But given that the opening of states seems to have taken 4 weeks to show increase in cases, I wouldn't expect these protests to show an effect after 2 weeks.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU23
This will never go away. It goes away when peeps decide to live their lives without masks, social distancing etc. We have an immune system. Let it work. We can't have another shutdown come October.

Pretty interesting. Has this scan successfully identified treatments in the past I wonder?

NYC moving to Phase 2 Monday. Northeast and Europe have the virus under control. This week we had the best news on treatments since this started.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU-05
This will never go away. It goes away when peeps decide to live their lives without masks, social distancing etc. We have an immune system. Let it work. We can't have another shutdown come October.
Well we are seeing that experiment play out in some states now. Early results are alarming.

Edit: actually we saw this experiment play out already and it was not good at all. But other states feel the need to see it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT