ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to derail the thread, but this just cracked me up...

89999828_592344244652751_4894672621762772992_n.png

Follow up on some earlier posts by @RUfubar and me and others...

Now for some possibly good news. Breaking results on hydroxychloroquine (malaria treatment) in combo with azithromycin (antibiotic often used in pneumonias) show significant reduction in viral load in patients in a study in France. Don't think this is a peer reviewed yet, but it is a placebo controlled field study and these can be very important in emergencies like this.

https://twitter.com/RiganoESQ/status/1239780304082124800

In addition, remdesivir is showing some promising results as are some other anti-viral compounds and remdesivir completes a major phase III clinical trial on 4/3.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2500114-treatment

And lastly, the first patient was enrolled today in a vaccine clinical trial, which will last 6 weeks (this is a preliminary trial just to gauge whether it's worth going to larger trials).

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

To piggyback your news. Sounds like good stuff.

From an article:

A renowned research professor in France has reported successful results from a new treatment for Covid-19, with early tests suggesting it can stop the virus from being contagious in just six days.

He said that the first Covid-19 patients he had treated with the drug chloroquine had seen a rapid and effective speeding up of their healing process, and a sharp decrease in the amount of time they remained contagious.

Chloroquine - which is normally used mainly to prevent and treat malaria - was administered via the named drug, Plaquenil.

The treatment was offered to 24 patients, who were among the first to become infected in the south east of France, and who had voluntarily admitted themselves to hospital for the process.

Patients were given 600mcg per day for 10 days. They were closely monitored, as the drug can interact with other medication, and cause severe side effects in some cases.

Professor Raoult said: “We included everyone who was in agreement [to be treated], which was almost everyone. Two towns in the protocol, Nice and Avignon, gave us [infected] patients who had not yet received treatment.

“We were able to ascertain that patients who had not received Plaquenil (the drug containing hydroxychloroquine) were still contagious after six days, but of those that had received Plaquenil, after six days, only 25% were still contagious.”

Chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine have previously been used to treat coronavirus patients in China, in ongoing Covid-19 clinical trials.

Kaletra, a US-based antiviral drug normally used to treat HIV, is another medicine that is being tested in the fight against Covid-19.

US academic study concurs
A new academic study, published on Friday March 13 by US scientific researchers, also said that chloroquine appeared to be an effective treatment, and appears to align with the findings in France.

It said: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay…

“Research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab, while we wait for a vaccine to be developed.

“Chloroquine is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune and various other conditions…[it] can be prescribed to adults and children of all ages.

"It can also be safely taken by pregnant women and nursing mothers [and] has been widely used to treat human diseases, such as malaria, amoebiosis, HIV, and autoimmune diseases, without significant detrimental side effects.”

Researchers worldwide are continuing to work on developing a vaccine against Covid-19.

So far, no country - nor the World Health Organisation (WHO) - has officially published treatment measures against Covid-19, but in China and South Korea, guidelines already outline the use of chloroquine as an “effective treatment”, the study report said.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...ssful-Covid-19-coronavirus-drug-trial-results

Another article with Elon Musk talking about it.

Some snippets from the article:

As 2.25pm GMT on March 17, the tweet sparked a frenzy of comments and retweets with more than 42,300 people liking the message.

Mr Musk said: “Maybe worth considering chloroquine for C19”

The tweet also included a link to the study, penned by Dr Thomas R. Broker from the Stanford University School of Medicine and colleagues.

He has since followed the tweet with: "Hydroxychloroquine probably better"

Published on March 13 this year, the study examines guidelines issued by China and South Korea on the effectiveness of chloroquine as an antiviral remedy.

According to the study shared by Mr Musk, the Chinese government has prioritised in early February the production of “the active pharmaceutical ingredients chloroquine phosphate”.

However, the study noted serious side effects to the use of chloroquine as a treatment.

The study reads: “One often cited side effect is chloroquine retinopathy, which can result in permanent vision loss after high cumulative doses of chloroquine.

“However, retinal damage is extremely rare in patients with a total dosage under 400g (dosage level only reached after years of treatment).”

The study also noted treating COVID-19 carries the risk of inducing a viral mutation that “can either be beneficial or harmful to humans”.

For the time being, the World Health Organization (WHO) said hospitals can only treat the symptoms of COVID-19 and not the source of infection.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...ID19-cure-chloroquine-latest-coronavirus-news

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
And lastly, the first patient was enrolled today in a vaccine clinical trial, which will last 6 weeks (this is a preliminary trial just to gauge whether it's worth going to larger trials).

https://www.livescience.com/first-person-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-trial.html

I know they get paid a "stipend" of like $1000 to take part in this trial, but I gotta give these people credit. Takes a lot of nerve to be the first to test a brand new vaccine like this, especially one developed so quickly.

Reactions: bac2therac
Just got this text from my old friend and and roommate.He's an ear nose and throat surgeon and trauma in Rutland Vermont. He spent his initial years in the Navy paying back med school. He's seeing lots of Jersey plates up there now. Are people running away from this area like Orson Welles war of the worlds?

"We are in the hospital prep phase , funny but I am one of the senior surgeons now who had military experience and training for things like this "

Follow up on some earlier posts by @RUfubar and me and others...

Now for some possibly good news. Breaking results on hydroxychloroquine (malaria treatment) in combo with azithromycin (antibiotic often used in pneumonias) show significant reduction in viral load in patients in a study in France. Don't think this is a peer reviewed yet, but it is a placebo controlled field study and these can be very important in emergencies like this.

https://twitter.com/RiganoESQ/status/1239780304082124800

In addition, remdesivir is showing some promising results as are some other anti-viral compounds and remdesivir completes a major phase III clinical trial on 4/3.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2500114-treatment

Update from the French doc Didier Raoult...

https://www.20minutes.fr/sante/2742...r7IEwt7bbFr6T5ugwFqznp9JAxHTe1nYEZCjRpR8fWPU4

What a bunch of self-aggrandizing, pompous bullshit.
Do you disagree with this stricter approach? I think it's what we should do nationally. If 99% of the country (letting the very very few % who are required to run things like power and utilities go to work with much better isolation and protection than they probably do now and have them tested regularly) simply stayed in their living space without coming within 6 feet of any other human for 14 days, we'd be done. Instead we're likely to have this long, slow, painful 1-2 month partial lockdown that will only partially work and we'll still overwhelm some hospitals in densely populated cities.

And here's one more thing we could learn from the Chinese - their incredibly sophisticated digital delivery systems, which made their lockdowns much more bearable.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/delivery-technology-is-keeping-chinese-cities-afloat-through-coronavirus

Reactions: CERU00
Do you disagree with this stricter approach? I think it's what we should do nationally. If 99% of the country (letting the very very few % who are required to run things like power and utilities go to work with much better isolation and protection than they probably do now and have them tested regularly) simply stayed in their living space without coming within 6 feet of any other human for 14 days, we'd be done. Instead we're likely to have this long, slow, painful 1-2 month partial lockdown that will only partially work and we'll still overwhelm some hospitals in densely populated cities.

And here's one more thing we could learn from the Chinese - their incredibly sophisticated digital delivery systems, which made their lockdowns much more bearable.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/delivery-technology-is-keeping-chinese-cities-afloat-through-coronavirus

the use of alternative facts and fake news should not have been used in the Hoboken press release, no business for commentary like that.

Reactions: RUJohnny

No mayor should ever write "listen to me" in a press release, like they're a 6th grade teacher addressing students. The guy must fancy himself to be Churchill or Giuliani post 9/11. These politicians are all using each other's measures as political cover, and they seem to be either in coordination or racing to see who can outdo the other. I would have been fine with the full stop draconian lockdown a week ago. This stepwise daily progression to it is making it very difficult to adjust as a business manager and as a head of household. There's nothing special about the actions taken in Hoboken and all the patting on his own back is annoying.

edit- yes I forgot what BAC mentioned... you need to politicize your virus response action like you're a cable news bobblehead? How stately Mr. Mayor.

Reactions: bac2therac

I doubt that is true, and certainly not aligned with the "blunting the curve" path the medical experts have been pushing.

This was always going to be a long drawn out process.

Yes Bac paracetamol is the only fever reducer/pain reliever anyone should be taking right now

In 14 days this will not be completely eradicated, it will only flatten the curve in regards to the rate of infection. 100% self quarantine compliance will never be achieved and this virus will continue to circulate. Once people come out from their quarantines, there will be fresh outbreaks thanks to those who did not comply..or eventually somebody entering the country will do the same. Flatten the curve (isolate more than 2 weeks (not sure how long), people will still get infected and casualties will occur, but the healthcare system will be more apt to deal with it both in manpower and adequate supplies. This who survive, should develop immunity and over the course of that time, treatments and vaccines will be developed and tested. This seems the most reasonable path to me. Stamp that and send it to Washington who still cant get ANY masks to multiple locations or an adequate amount of test kits to sites. Yes, it's true and reported first hand to me from multiple locations from east coast to west coast.

apparently ibuprofen has been found to greatly worsen coronavirus in many cases
Yea I saw that yesterday and it was put out by the French Health Minister. I think other health professionals/scientists are unsure about that recommendation though without any study or peer review. I think the WHO has followed up also making the same recommendation but I don't think it's got wide support in the scientific community without supporting evidence.

Last edited:
Advil is ibuprofen so is Motrin it's just a brand name. Tylenol is just a brand name but it's acetaminophen and it's called paracetamol in Europe.

read on the post about the 4 year old whose symptoms worsened right after she was given ibuprofen...also a good number of cases in Italy......just given those circumstances I would avoid taking them

In 14 days this will not be completely eradicated, it will only flatten the curve in regards to the rate of infection. 100% self quarantine compliance will never be achieved and this virus will continue to circulate. Once people come out from their quarantines, there will be fresh outbreaks thanks to those who did not comply..or eventually somebody entering the country will do the same. Flatten the curve (isolate more than 2 weeks (not sure how long), people will still get infected and casualties will occur, but the healthcare system will be more apt to deal with it both in manpower and adequate supplies. This who survive, should develop immunity and over the course of that time, treatments and vaccines will be developed and tested.
Yep, as people get infected/recover, they should have immunity (at least for a while, though from what I've read immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time). As more people become immune the rate of spread will be reduced since there aren't so many easily infected people around. I expect the virus will be around for a long time (probably at least a year) but infection rates should become low enough to be manageable. We just need to get through the first big surge which is happening now.

Saw someone post a report from Italy, not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but it said they tested basically everyone in one town (like 3000 people) and of the positive cases, the vast majority were either asymptomatic or had mild illness. This is both good and bad, good because it means the fatality rate might be lower (maybe much lower) than it appears, but bad because it means it spreads so easily, So even if the fatality rate is low the total number of cases can still swamp hospital systems.

In 14 days this will not be completely eradicated, it will only flatten the curve in regards to the rate of infection. 100% self quarantine compliance will never be achieved and this virus will continue to circulate. Once people come out from their quarantines, there will be fresh outbreaks thanks to those who did not comply..or eventually somebody entering the country will do the same. Flatten the curve (isolate more than 2 weeks (not sure how long), people will still get infected and casualties will occur, but the healthcare system will be more apt to deal with it both in manpower and adequate supplies. This who survive, should develop immunity and over the course of that time, treatments and vaccines will be developed and tested. This seems the most reasonable path to me. Stamp that and send it to Washington who still cant get ANY masks to multiple locations or an adequate amount of test kits to sites. Yes, it's true and reported first hand to me from multiple locations from east coast to west coast.

the travel ban should continue...no one from Europe or Asia or anywhere for that matter enters...that should be the last thing lifted

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I doubt that is true, and certainly not aligned with the "blunting the curve" path the medical experts have been pushing.

This was always going to be a long drawn out process.

It is true. The max 14-day period from infection to still being contagious was just reconfirmed in another non-China study. So if we could magically wave a wand and have everyone quarantined in place for 14 days, there'd be nobody left who was infected after those 14 days. See the parts in italics from the 2nd/3rd links below.

Obviously, that's not reality, but I was trying to illustrate the concept. It's going to be much more drawn out than that, because, well people suck and are not going to follow instructions and there are going to be plenty more people giving and receiving the virus in the weeks to come, sustaining the epidemic to some extent and creating new hotspots where there are superspreaders.

In fact because of the imperfections in it, some are theorizing that some level of social distancing will be the new normal for the next year or so or until and unless we have a cure or a vaccine. The Vox article just below, which discusses the long term future, is superb.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...-covid-19-lockdowns-end-how-long-months-years

These findings confirm the current recommendations for quarantine: Most patients who become symptomatic do so within 11 or 12 days and the vast majority within 14 days. However, we already know that asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic persons can transmit infection, and this group was not included here. Better access to testing for asymptomatic infection will shed light on this issue.

https://www.jwatch.org/na51083/2020/03/13/covid-19-incubation-period-update

“Everything that we have seen so far verifies the experience in China. Once you acquire the illness, you may be infectious to other people for up to 14 days. Now, those who are asymptomatic may not know when Day 1 starts to start counting to Day 14. But it's encouraging to know that while asymptomatic individuals can get sick, their ability to spread the disease is far less than those who are actively symptomatic, who have secretions, who are coughing, who can take this virus and spread it around to other people.”

https://laist.com/latest/post/20200317/coronavirus-qa-how-long-am-i-contagious

Hoboken issues SF-style lockdown...
What a bunch of self-aggrandizing, pompous bullshit.

Do you disagree with this stricter approach?
It's got nothing to do with what they're implementing and much to do with their opening:
Over the past several days, the rest of the country has followed Hoboken’s lead in regulations and policies that promote social distancing, in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Hoboken currently has five positive COVID-19 cases, but due to the lack of testing, this number will increase substantially. Hoboken was the first City to introduce regulations on bars and restaurants over the weekend ...
My immediate thought was: "What a pompous jackass!"

Obviously, that's not reality, but I was trying to illustrate the concept. It's going to be much more drawn out than that, because, well people suck and are not going to follow instructions and there are going to be plenty more people giving and receiving the virus in the weeks to come, sustaining the epidemic to some extent and creating new hotspots where there are superspreaders.

In fact because of the imperfections in it, some are theorizing that some level of social distancing will be the new normal for the next year or so or until and unless we have a cure or a vaccine. The Vox article just below, which discusses the long term future, is superb.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...-covid-19-lockdowns-end-how-long-months-years

These findings confirm the current recommendations for quarantine: Most patients who become symptomatic do so within 11 or 12 days and the vast majority within 14 days. However, we already know that asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic persons can transmit infection, and this group was not included here. Better access to testing for asymptomatic infection will shed light on this issue.

“Everything that we have seen so far verifies the experience in China. Once you acquire the illness, you may be infectious to other people for up to 14 days. Now, those who are asymptomatic may not know when Day 1 starts to start counting to Day 14. But it's encouraging to know that while asymptomatic individuals can get sick, their ability to spread the disease is far less than those who are actively symptomatic, who have secretions, who are coughing, who can take this virus and spread it around to other people.”

It's not because people suck(although as we are seeing that is part of it) , it's because it is totally unrealistic to completely quarantine for 14 days, for example people need to get food, or go to the doctor, as well as a host of other reasons why people need to interact.

Not to mention, unless you isolate each individual for the entirety of those 14 days, there could be contamination within a household at say day 7 or even later.

Or contamination spreading from the hospitals.

This 14 day quarantine and call it a day plan is just not real world thinking, and it's why Fauci and other experts have been out there preaching the blunting of the curve.

It is true. The max 14-day period from infection to still being contagious was just reconfirmed in another non-China study. So if we could magically wave a wand and have everyone quarantined in place for 14 days, there'd be nobody left who was infected after those 14 days. See the parts in italics from the 2nd/3rd links below.

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69#Fig2

Old study (2005) of chloroquine against corona-SARs

He's seeing lots of Jersey plates up there now. Are people running away from this area like Orson Welles war of the worlds?

a lot of NJ people ski and have 2nd homes there. would be a great option for the next 2 weeks than staying in NJ if you like the green mountains.

To piggyback your news. Sounds like good stuff.

From an article:

A renowned research professor in France has reported successful results from a new treatment for Covid-19, with early tests suggesting it can stop the virus from being contagious in just six days.

He said that the first Covid-19 patients he had treated with the drug chloroquine had seen a rapid and effective speeding up of their healing process, and a sharp decrease in the amount of time they remained contagious.

Chloroquine - which is normally used mainly to prevent and treat malaria - was administered via the named drug, Plaquenil.

The treatment was offered to 24 patients, who were among the first to become infected in the south east of France, and who had voluntarily admitted themselves to hospital for the process.

Patients were given 600mcg per day for 10 days. They were closely monitored, as the drug can interact with other medication, and cause severe side effects in some cases.

Professor Raoult said: “We included everyone who was in agreement [to be treated], which was almost everyone. Two towns in the protocol, Nice and Avignon, gave us [infected] patients who had not yet received treatment.

“We were able to ascertain that patients who had not received Plaquenil (the drug containing hydroxychloroquine) were still contagious after six days, but of those that had received Plaquenil, after six days, only 25% were still contagious.”

Chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine have previously been used to treat coronavirus patients in China, in ongoing Covid-19 clinical trials.

Kaletra, a US-based antiviral drug normally used to treat HIV, is another medicine that is being tested in the fight against Covid-19.

US academic study concurs
A new academic study, published on Friday March 13 by US scientific researchers, also said that chloroquine appeared to be an effective treatment, and appears to align with the findings in France.

It said: “Use of chloroquine (tablets) is showing favorable outcomes in humans infected with Coronavirus including faster time to recovery and shorter hospital stay…

“Research shows that chloroquine also has strong potential as a prophylactic (preventative) measure against coronavirus in the lab, while we wait for a vaccine to be developed.

“Chloroquine is an inexpensive, globally available drug that has been in widespread human use since 1945 against malaria, autoimmune and various other conditions…[it] can be prescribed to adults and children of all ages.

"It can also be safely taken by pregnant women and nursing mothers [and] has been widely used to treat human diseases, such as malaria, amoebiosis, HIV, and autoimmune diseases, without significant detrimental side effects.”

Researchers worldwide are continuing to work on developing a vaccine against Covid-19.

So far, no country - nor the World Health Organisation (WHO) - has officially published treatment measures against Covid-19, but in China and South Korea, guidelines already outline the use of chloroquine as an “effective treatment”, the study report said.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...ssful-Covid-19-coronavirus-drug-trial-results

Another article with Elon Musk talking about it.

Some snippets from the article:

As 2.25pm GMT on March 17, the tweet sparked a frenzy of comments and retweets with more than 42,300 people liking the message.

Mr Musk said: “Maybe worth considering chloroquine for C19”

The tweet also included a link to the study, penned by Dr Thomas R. Broker from the Stanford University School of Medicine and colleagues.

He has since followed the tweet with: "Hydroxychloroquine probably better"

Published on March 13 this year, the study examines guidelines issued by China and South Korea on the effectiveness of chloroquine as an antiviral remedy.

According to the study shared by Mr Musk, the Chinese government has prioritised in early February the production of “the active pharmaceutical ingredients chloroquine phosphate”.

However, the study noted serious side effects to the use of chloroquine as a treatment.

The study reads: “One often cited side effect is chloroquine retinopathy, which can result in permanent vision loss after high cumulative doses of chloroquine.

“However, retinal damage is extremely rare in patients with a total dosage under 400g (dosage level only reached after years of treatment).”

The study also noted treating COVID-19 carries the risk of inducing a viral mutation that “can either be beneficial or harmful to humans”.

For the time being, the World Health Organization (WHO) said hospitals can only treat the symptoms of COVID-19 and not the source of infection.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...ID19-cure-chloroquine-latest-coronavirus-news

Particularly interested in this part, below from your post above. Is it saying that these various combinations could potentially induce a mutation and thus wouldn't be allowed to be used? I could imagine a huge outcry if there's a study that shows some combo is 90+% effective in reducing viral loads to non-symptomatic levels (and could be a preventative) and wouldn't be allowed to be used.

edit: @RUfubar - from an MD's perspective, given the limited but promising, so far, data on HQC (with or without azithromycin), would you advocate off label use for CV2? Have heard of lots of use in China/SK. Do you think the concerns in italics are valid (treatment causing viral mutation)? Also wonder if it's something easy to get or not - it's been off-patent for decades, but what happens if everyone wants it at the same time? As an aside the synthesis looks pretty simple, so it wouldn't be too hard to make - could probably make it in my garage, lol...

Article below sounds very skeptical of the role of the WHO/CDC in recommending CV2 treatments. Tells story of of a New Jersey healthcare worker who was on the verge of dying but was saved.

He was only saved because Chinese family members reached out to doctors in Wuhan who told them to begin immediate treatment with either chloroquine or Kaletra.

He said “Fortunately I have the resources and knowledge about it. I would be dead and gone already. Most medical providers here don’t know about it. Medical providers need to communicate with Chinese medical teams.”

https://twitter.com/adrianbye (actual article is on medium.com by adrian bye, but medium doesn't seem to allow links to be pasted)

Last edited:
Yep, as people get infected/recover, they should have immunity (at least for a while, though from what I've read immunity to coronaviruses wanes over time). As more people become immune the rate of spread will be reduced since there aren't so many easily infected people around. I expect the virus will be around for a long time (probably at least a year) but infection rates should become low enough to be manageable. We just need to get through the first big surge which is happening now.

UK herd immunity controversy has a study behind it. A slow burn is sought. Let some people get sick while protecting some of most vulnerable

"Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand"

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

“To avoid a second peak in the winter, Vallance said the U.K. would suppress the virus “but not get rid of it completely,” while focusing on protecting vulnerable groups, such as the elderly. In the meantime, other people would get sick. But since the virus causes milder illness in younger age groups, most would recover and subsequently be immune to the virus. This “herd immunity” would reduce transmission in the event of a winter resurgence. On Sky News, Vallance said that “probably about 60 percent” of people would need to be infected to achieve herd immunity."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ndemic-herd-immunity-uk-boris-johnson/608065/

Of course the "slow burn" is still hot for people charged with providing care

Anyone know protocols for testing in the workplace ? Is an employer allowed to require a sick employee to test negative before he/she returns to work ? Is an employer permitted to disclose positive results with employees that may may be at risk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT