ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 per cent positivity today with 54 deaths.

If we wait until both of these measures reach Blutarski's grade point average,only wildlife will remain in the state.
I don’t follow all the metrics as closely as others here. Those stats all look good. How about the infrastructure with regards to contact tracing/rapid test and such in case of clusters popping up. Is the state adequately all set up ready to go in that respect?

If there are deaths not yet reported from
What are the odds that a proven and safe vaccine is available to the US public within the next 12 months?

As I understand it, very good. It's an arms race between at least a half dozen pharmacueticals and FedGov has given out hundreds of millions in grant funds to spur it along. At least two manufacturers are confident enough in their developments that they are manufacturing the doses alongside the trials.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
FWIW. A neighbor (very nice guy) who was a healthy middle aged male (Not heavy, decent athlete Etc) recently got back from the hospital. He looks like a holocaust survivor. I know people have been saying it can be really bad for those affected and I didn’t dismiss that at all but when you see the aftermath for a healthy person it hits home. Thankfully he seems on the mend and obviously hope it continues.

Well, my former company (and current one, as I'm doing some consulting for them, part-time) Merck, finally broke radio silence today. Great to see, as I've been wondering when we would, as I knew we had a few irons in the fire. Anyway, Merck, the 2nd largest vaccine maker, announced it is developing two vaccines for COVID (including one from Themis, whom Merck is buying) and is licensing a phase II drug for COVID. See the excerpt below and the link, which goes into much more detail on the two vaccines.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/26...of-two-different-covid-19-vaccines-this-year/

Merck is buying Vienna-based Themis, which is developing an experimental Covid-19 vaccine based on a measles vaccine that could begin human studies soon. It is also partnering with the nonprofit IAVI on the development of a vaccine related to Merck’s existing Ebola vaccine that could enter human studies later this year. And it is licensing an experimental drug from a small company called Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

“We are committed to making a contribution to the eradication of Covid-19,” Roger Perlmutter, who heads Merck Research Laboratories, the company’s research and development division, said in an interview.

Merck executives see the company’s history of developing vaccines and treatments against infectious diseases as central to its identity, often citing the decision three decades ago to donate a treatment for river blindness as a pivotal moment in the 129-year-old company’s history. But until now, Merck has been conspicuously absent from the efforts to develop a Covid-19 vaccine. It’s not that the company wasn’t working on the problem, Perlmutter said, but that it simply wasn’t ready to speak.

As I understand it, very good. It's an arms race between at least a half dozen pharmacueticals and FedGov has given out hundreds of millions in grant funds to spur it along. At least two manufacturers are confident enough in their developments that they are manufacturing the doses alongside the trials.
the issues with vaccines like this is that you are dealing with the unknown, in order to test on live patients you have to give them a vaccine and then expose them to the virus, and do it on a large enough scale and with varying patient risk factors

on top of that there is always the possibility of patients having allergic reactions or even causing cancer down the line given that you are dealing with RNA.

Well, my former company (and current one, as I'm doing some consulting for them, part-time) Merck, finally broke radio silence today. Great to see, as I've been wondering when we would, as I knew we had a few irons in the fire. Anyway, Merck, the 2nd largest vaccine maker, announced it is developing two vaccines for COVID (including one from Themis, whom Merck is buying) and is licensing a phase II drug for COVID. See the excerpt below and the link, which goes into much more detail on the two vaccines.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/26...of-two-different-covid-19-vaccines-this-year/

Merck is buying Vienna-based Themis, which is developing an experimental Covid-19 vaccine based on a measles vaccine that could begin human studies soon. It is also partnering with the nonprofit IAVI on the development of a vaccine related to Merck’s existing Ebola vaccine that could enter human studies later this year. And it is licensing an experimental drug from a small company called Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

“We are committed to making a contribution to the eradication of Covid-19,” Roger Perlmutter, who heads Merck Research Laboratories, the company’s research and development division, said in an interview.

Merck executives see the company’s history of developing vaccines and treatments against infectious diseases as central to its identity, often citing the decision three decades ago to donate a treatment for river blindness as a pivotal moment in the 129-year-old company’s history. But until now, Merck has been conspicuously absent from the efforts to develop a Covid-19 vaccine. It’s not that the company wasn’t working on the problem, Perlmutter said, but that it simply wasn’t ready to speak.
Several companies well ahead of Merck. However, Merck was nice enough to offer their vaccine production capacity when someone else finds the vaccine.

So if we get a vaccine you'll come back here and admit that you were wrong?

Im not wrong, it’s my take on the likelihood of it happening. I happen to think the virus mutates away similar to SARS prior to vaccine approval.
That’s how percentages work.

There’s a 1/6 chance a dice roll lands on a six. If you tell someone that, then they roll a six...you weren’t wrong. You could tel me Im wrong if you can quantify the odds with certainty.

Im not wrong, it’s my take on the likelihood of it happening. I happen to think the virus mutates away similar to SARS prior to vaccine approval.

There’s a 1/6 chance a dice roll lands on a six. If you tell someone that, then they roll a six...you weren’t wrong. You could tel me Im wrong if you can quantify the odds with certainty.

You will be wrong if a vaccine gets done within 12 months.

But knowing your history, you'll move the goalposts.

So their new fatality rate is 0.4% of patients that show symptoms? So once you back out those that are asymptomatic (which is way too low), the overall rate is about 0.25%. Starting to sound reasonable.

Also, nice to see some age-based ranges for the fatality rate.

This was talked about last night. The CDC estimates are likely too low, given what we've already seen in NY and Spain, where "true" IFRs are 1.0-1.2% (which would be 1.6-1.8% if calculated just based on symptomatic people, as the CDC does with its 0.4% SIFR), as I detailed last night. I've said I think those numbers could be high, but I can't see them dropping by 75% to 0.4% SIFR.

Also, keep in mind that even an SIFR of 0.4% translates to 520K US deaths, eventually (assuming no cure/vaccine/interventions), but is still much less than the 1-2MM US deaths that a 0.5-1.0% true IFR (which is where I think it'll be, as it drops a bit from 1.0-1.2% in Spain/NY) would translate to across the US, eventually, which is precisely why we need aggressive interventions (testing, tracing, isolating, mask wearing and social distancing) in place while we reopen the economy and society. Details/calcs are all in the post below.

And the Ionnaidis paper is questionable (which is why I didn't even post it when it came out a week ago), as it completely ignores the NY and Spain seroprevalence and IFR data, when they're the best, most complete data sets for IFR vs. actual known infections in their populations. He also was way off in his mid-March paper where he basically thought this wouldn't be much worse than the flu and wouldn't infect more than we saw on the Diamond Princess (19%, which NYC has already surpassed and we've seen up to 80% in closed, close populations like prisons/meatpacking plants). The meta analysis below, which estimates the "true" IFR to be around 0.75%, is much more reasonable.

https://reason.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/COVID-19-IFR-estimates.pdf

It would be good news. If it were true - and keep in mind that if it were true, it would "only" mean 520K total deaths over the next 12-24 months, assuming no cure/vaccine (or interventions) if ~60% become infected (herd immunity level) and only 65% of those have symptoms and 0.4% of those with symptoms dies (so 330MM Americans x 0.6 x 0.65 = 130MM symptomatic Americans x 0.4% fatality rate = 520MM deaths).

Here's the problem with this calculation. It flies completely in the face of the best data we have on total IFR from NY/Spain, which is actually more conservative than the CDC's symptomatic IFR (as it includes both symptomatic and asymptomatic people). We have pretty solid antibody population testing now in NY and Spain, with NY showing 12.3% infected, via antibody testing (which includes all infected, whether symptomatic or asymptomatic) and Spain showing 5.0% infected.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ocial-distancing.191275/page-111#post-4557431

In NY, when the study was done in late April, there were 19K confirmed deaths (not even using the 24.5K confirmed + presumed deaths), so the IFR was 19.5K/2.46MM infected (12.3% of 20MM in NY) or 0.8%; if one includes the presumed dead, which most do (and most think that's still an underestimate based on excess deaths), then the IFR jumps to 24.5K/2.46MM infected or 1.0%. In Spain, as of about 5/15, their antibody population testing showed an infection rate of 5.0%, so their 27K deaths/2.33MM infected (5% of 46.7MM) equals an IFR of 1.16%. On the CDC's basis (excluding 35% of the population), these 1.0-1.2% IFR estimates would be 1.6-1.8% (vs. just symptomatic people), so hard to imagine that number coming down to 0.4% for the US.

Of course, it's possible that areas like these that were hit harder than most other areas and have much higher deaths per capita than everywhere else, have led to a higher percentage of vulnerable people being infected, artificially raising death rates a bit. What we really need to know is the antibody levels in some less impacted states to see if they only have maybe 1-3% infected, as many experts think. This would be about 1/5th to 1/10th the NY infection rate and could explain why so many states have per capita fatality rates that are 1/5th to 1/10th of NYs (NY's is around 1500/1MM and the US, not including NY/NJ has a rate of 200/1MM or 1/7th of NYs). Meaning it's very likely that the reason so many states have lower per capita death rates is that they simply have proportionally lower infection rates, which is not surprising given far less density and regional commuting traffic, especially in NYC metro.

Having said all that, I've been saying in previous posts that the overall final IFR (vs. all infections) would likely be between 0.5-1.0% and if that is multiplied by the 60% of 330MM (which = 198MM) that would get the virus at herd immunity, eventually, that's 1-2MM dead in the US. So yes, 500K would be "great" relatively speaking, but it's likely too low of an estimate.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ocial-distancing.191275/page-111#post-4557369

There is one possible saving grace here (outside of a cure/vaccine) which I mentioned last week based on the evaluation of immunological responses in people that have been tested for antibodies, both those infected previously and uninfected previously. It turns out that 40-60% of uninfected people who do not possess any antibodies do have some CD4+ T-cell activity against this coronavirus, likely due to previous exposure to other coronaviruses, in a phenomenon known as cross-reactivity. If, somehow, some percentage of these people were actually immune to the virus or if it only gave them a very mild case, that would be beyond huge, but it's impossible to know that yet and impossible to rely on.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ocial-distancing.191275/page-116#post-4563258

There is a 95% chance of Rutgers winning the National Championship this season.

Im (sic) not wrong, it’s my take on the likelihood of it happening. I happen to think Schiano can do it.

You could tel me Im wrong if you can quantify the odds with certainty (sic)

Im (sic) not wrong, it’s my take on the likelihood of it happening. I happen to think Schiano can do it.

But I can’t. I disagree with you, but can’t say you’re wrong.

It would be like me asking you the odds of the opening coin flip coming up heads, you saying 50%, then when it comes up tails me saying that you’re wrong.

If there are deaths not yet reported from

the issues with vaccines like this is that you are dealing with the unknown, in order to test on live patients you have to give them a vaccine and then expose them to the virus, and do it on a large enough scale and with varying patient risk factors

on top of that there is always the possibility of patients having allergic reactions or even causing cancer down the line given that you are dealing with RNA.

I've been saying for awhile that I think we'll have a vaccine by the end of the year, assuming we take advantage of the "human challenge" approach (exposing healthy young vaccinated volunteers to the virus) to shave months off timelines.

However, I now have to say I'm a bit less optimistic based on what Merck's R&D head, Roger Perlmutter, was saying, that a truly effective vaccine might take longer than 18 months. He's skeptical of a vaccine being done well in under 18 months as per the excerpt below (from the link I posted above), where he's concerned that the early vaccines will not be "sterilizing" vaccines (with no viral infection), which makes for longer studies to prove safety and efficacy.

As an aside, he is the most brilliant scientist I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and talking to (back in the 90s on his first tour at Merck on a project I was on), plus, since he came back to Merck, he's also been a fantastic leader and an incredible speaker - the man can get up, without notes or visual aids and speak coherently on the most advanced scientific topics for 30+ minutes. Have never seen anyone else do that that well. I hope for all our sakes that he's wrong, but he knows a helluva lot more about this than I do.

“I think the clinical development side is going to take longer than people imagine. And I hate to sound what some people may regard as a sour note, but I don’t want to overpromise.” If a vaccine is sterilizing — meaning that people who get it can’t be infected with SARS-CoV-2 at all — studies could finish very quickly. But Perlmutter thinks that won’t be the case. “Most likely, people will still get infected, but it will only very, very rarely progress to severe disease and, we hope, never to critical.”

That would mean studies couldn’t just test for the presence of the virus in people’s noses or throats but would need to look at how sick people would become. That would require large studies where thousands and thousands of people, many of whom won’t become very sick, would need to be followed before any develop symptoms. Perlmutter does not, however, think there will be much difficulty finding patients for clinical studies.

A 65 person retrospective study is not definitive in any way, although it's not a great result either. We just went through 2 months of this on HCQ and it took a lot more than that to conclude that it wasn't effective in hospitalized patients. Having said that, if the drug were more than marginally effective, it's very likely we'd see efficacy in even small retrospective trials like this, so it is a red flag. But not game over.

So their new fatality rate is 0.4% of patients that show symptoms? So once you back out those that are asymptomatic (which is way too low), the overall rate is about 0.25%. Starting to sound reasonable.

Also, nice to see some age-based ranges for the fatality rate.
Fake news. NYC alone proves it’s not that low. Also gottlieb bringing the boom.

Reactions: RU-05

the zees don't understand math. One the other day told me espn was wrong when they predicted the Falcons with 99.6 percent chance to win the Super Bowl when they were up 28-3 in the third quarter. They just don't get in.

This was talked about last night. The CDC estimates are likely too low, given what we've already seen in NY and Spain, where "true" IFRs are 1.0-1.2% (which would be 1.6-1.8% if calculated just based on symptomatic people, as the CDC does with its 0.4% SIFR), as I detailed last night. I've said I think those numbers could be high, but I can't see them dropping by 75% to 0.4% SIFR.

Also, keep in mind that even an SIFR of 0.4% translates to 520K US deaths, eventually (assuming no cure/vaccine/interventions), but is still much less than the 1-2MM US deaths that a 0.5-1.0% true IFR (which is where I think it'll be, as it drops a bit from 1.0-1.2% in Spain/NY) would translate to across the US, eventually, which is precisely why we need aggressive interventions (testing, tracing, isolating, mask wearing and social distancing) in place while we reopen the economy and society. Details/calcs are all in the post below.

And the Ionnaidis paper is questionable (which is why I didn't even post it when it came out a week ago), as it completely ignores the NY and Spain seroprevalence and IFR data, when they're the best, most complete data sets for IFR vs. actual known infections in their populations. He also was way off in his mid-March paper where he basically thought this wouldn't be much worse than the flu and wouldn't infect more than we saw on the Diamond Princess (19%, which NYC has already surpassed and we've seen up to 80% in closed, close populations like prisons/meatpacking plants). The meta analysis below, which estimates the "true" IFR to be around 0.75%, is much more reasonable.

https://reason.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/COVID-19-IFR-estimates.pdf
CDC's data and estimate seems on target, but still a little high since their % of asymptomatic patients is way too low. With additional data, the CDC rate will come down some more.....probably 0.15% to 0.2%. Once the vaccine is out, the fatality rate will be lower than the flu.

Reactions: bac2therac
But I can’t. I disagree with you, but can’t say you’re wrong.

It would be like me asking you the odds of the opening coin flip coming up heads, you saying 50%, then when it comes up tails me saying that you’re wrong.

Why? Did you read my example?

You don’t have a science background do you?

Seriously though... you keep bringing up examples with fixed, clearly defined probabilities to justify your position. Does that make sense in the context of what we’re discussing:
What are the odds that a proven and safe vaccine is available to the US public within the next 12 months?

Why? Did you read my example?

You don’t have a science background do you?

Seriously though... you keep bringing up examples with fixed, clearly defined probabilities to justify your position. Does that make sense in the context of what we’re discussing:
Yes, because the outcome of something doesn’t drive it’s odds. This is basic statistics.

Yes, because the outcome of something doesn’t drive it’s odds. This is basic statistics.

I can’t figure out if you’re dumb and stumbled upon this or just trolling. This post literally explains why your initial point was wrong.

Either way, I’m done with you. Feel free to respond, but I see no point engaging with you.

Reactions: bac2therac
I can’t figure out if you’re dumb and stumbled upon this or just trolling.

This post literally explains why your initial point was wrong.

Either way, I’m done with you. Feel free to respond, but I see no point engaging with you.

Ok, sounds fair.

But the outcome of something doesn’t determine if the initial probability was a specific number...unless that initial probability is 0 or 1.

If something has a 20% chance of happening and happens, it doesn’t mean the initial likelihood wasn’t 20%.

This is a staggering discussion.

CDC's data and estimate seems on target, but still a little high since their % of asymptomatic patients is way too low. With additional data, the CDC rate will come down some more.....probably 0.15% to 0.2%. Once the vaccine is out, the fatality rate will be lower than the flu.
I'm not sure about respective fatality rates, but we do know that Covid is much more contagious, thus, even with a similar fatality rate, Covid will kill many more people.

Do you think when the OP asked for the odds of a vaccine in 12 months that he was expecting anything beyond an opinion?

Wrong. Scott Gottleib, former FDA commissioner just said he thinks the true IFR will be between 0.5 and 1.0%, which is exactly what I've been saying for a few weeks now (and even guessed it 2 months ago). It's really simple math, so I'm surprised you can't grasp it - are you sure you got a ChemE degree from RU?

And the vaccine is irrelevant to calculating the current IFR - the point is figuring out the risks we run if we don't have a cure or vaccine - of course it goes down if we have one. Stupid point.

Fake news flu bro numbers schooled you again

Looking at the COVID-19 dashboard today, Florida is holding up relatively well.

However, every state that borders Florida plus a number of other nearby southern states are seeing an increase in deaths.

Anecedotaly, I believe the reason for this may be that Florida with a very large 65+ population has heeded the word to shelter in place and avoid large gatherings. When you add the success of the Florida Keys numbers, this makes a very powerful case that shelter-in-place works. We will see if this trend continues and if letting young folks congregating in public places results in 'herd mentality.'

Reactions: biker7766
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT