ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating article on COVID-19 having a suite ofcardiovascular and circulatory effects. Some of this has been discussed by several others before, but thought this was very nice summary. While it's a respiratory disease first, lots of recent research/observations that it's also a serious cardiovascular/circulatory one too, which makes it very hard to defeat.

The first link below is to an article yesterday in Medium, which does a great job summarizing the research, to date on this angle and it also includes discussions with some leading cardiologists, including Dr. Mehra, who wrote an influential commentary on this in the Lancet about a month ago (2nd link).The excerpt below says it better than I can.

https://elemental.medium.com/corona...isease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30937-5/fulltext

Months into the pandemic, there is now a growing body of evidence to support the theory that the novel coronavirus can infect blood vessels, which could explain not only the high prevalence of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, but also provide an answer for the diverse set of head-to-toe symptoms that have emerged.

“All these Covid-associated complications were a mystery. We see blood clotting, we see kidney damage, we see inflammation of the heart, we see stroke, we see encephalitis [swelling of the brain],” says William Li, MD, president of the Angiogenesis Foundation. “A whole myriad of seemingly unconnected phenomena that you do not normally see with SARS or H1N1 or, frankly, most infectious diseases.”

“If you start to put all of the data together that’s emerging, it turns out that this virus is probably a vasculotropic virus, meaning that it affects the [blood vessels],” says Mandeep Mehra, MD, medical director of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Heart and Vascular Center.

In a paper published in April in the scientific journal The Lancet, Mehra and a team of scientists discovered that the SARS-CoV-2 virus can infect the endothelial cells that line the inside of blood vessels. Endothelial cells protect the cardiovascular system, and they release proteins that influence everything from blood clotting to the immune response. In the paper, the scientists showed damage to endothelial cells in the lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, and intestines in people with Covid-19.

“The concept that’s emerging is that this is not a respiratory illness alone, this is a respiratory illness to start with, but it is actually a vascular illness that kills people through its involvement of the vasculature,” says Mehra.

Each time I am out and about in a store I see that a good percentage of customers either have their mask around their neck or their nose is out. Sad to see people cannot comply with such a simple concept.
I see the nose out a bit, but for the most part, where I live in monmouth county, people are wearing masks properly while in stores, both where I work, and when I'm at the food store.

Sad that this thread is being taken over by the issue of wearing masks outside.

Not every situation is the same with regard to wearing masks outside.

Walking in my neighborhood, nobody is wearing a mask. People walk to the right and generally acknowledge each other with a wave or a nod. Walking on the five mile old train line that runs from Albany to our town, again, nobody is wearing a mask. If you meet someone and start talking, we do it at a safe distance.

Wearing a mask in a car.............ridiculous.

However, if we go to get coffee a one of the food trucks and we are in a line, then we wear a mask. If I have to talk to someone outside and I can't keep six feet apart, then wear the mask.

One size does not fit all.
It's really a matter of distance right? If you are outdoors but people are tight, then yeah masks, but outdoors with space, no mask necessary.

Someone has posted an example of masks in cars which isn't that crazy, and imo, if you're comfortable while doing it, then go for it.

This. And they are the first to complain that things are not opening fast enough. Their inconsiderate selfish actions will only further the delay the recovery time period for all.
I have only seen 2 people in stores who slipped the mask down to catch some air.... they both were employees who were packing out.

The ajc says testing only small part
From the article.

"Georgia’s recent spike in new COVID-19 cases likely indicates the virus is spreading and cannot be solely attributed to a surge in testing, a prominent public health expert said Thursday."

So is it spreading? Sure. How much? The article really doesn't provide much on that.

I went for a walk today (mask free of course as its an excellent way to breathe fresh air and build up my immunity instead of hiding under the bed and when a germ or cold arrives I wouldn't get it) and saw a guy washing his car in his driveway wearing a mask. LMFAO

Last edited:
I think it is very fair to say that most of the states that have begun to reopen(and do note that no state is fully open) have not experienced serious spikes of infection. The #'s are just not there to suggest otherwise.

For those arguing that this virus will continue to be a real concern I think it is best to discuss why those states have not seen spikes, learn from those states so as to continue to open up the country, as opposed to hurting their credibility by pointing to spikes which are just not there.

I set for a walk today (mask free of course as its an excellent way to breathe fresh air and build up my immunity instead of hiding under the bed and when a germ or cold arrives I wouldn't get it) and saw a guy washing his car in his driveway wearing a mask. LMFAO
If not wearing a mask was a way to keep us from getting colds, how come colds are so prevalent?

Also Georgia has been in the 5-800 range for daily cases. These aren't NJ in April numbers down there. They can go from 600 to 800 (25%) because of a few hidden graduation parties layered on top of background fluctuation.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU-05
Also Georgia has been in the 5-800 range for daily cases. These aren't NJ in April numbers down there. They can go from 600 to 800 (25%) because of a few hidden graduation parties layered on top of background fluctuation.
They are having reporting issues. Look at the John Hopkins daily graph. They went from 30k tests a day to near zero.
People love to make false headlines out of false information.

Sad that this thread is being taken over by the issue of wearing masks outside.

Not every situation is the same with regard to wearing masks outside.

Walking in my neighborhood, nobody is wearing a mask. People walk to the right and generally acknowledge each other with a wave or a nod. Walking on the five mile old train line that runs from Albany to our town, again, nobody is wearing a mask. If you meet someone and start talking, we do it at a safe distance.

Wearing a mask in a car.............ridiculous.

However, if we go to get coffee a one of the food trucks and we are in a line, then we wear a mask. If I have to talk to someone outside and I can't keep six feet apart, then wear the mask.

One size does not fit all.
Was just about to troll this post (since most of your posts deserve trolling), however, this is a shockingly common sense post. Well done.

:ThumbsUp

Reactions: RocktheRac
I set for a walk today (mask free of course as its an excellent way to breathe fresh air and build up my immunity instead of hiding under the bed and when a germ or cold arrives I wouldn't get it) and saw a guy washing his car in his driveway wearing a mask. LMFAO
HA! HA!
Funny stuff. Chicken littles need to chicken little.

That story was talking about the week from May 11th to the 18th.

The reporting issue I believe you are talking about came after the 24th.
The past few days yes. It's really f-uped but I like the JH report as they will go back and correct it as they did go back and correct most of NJ issues when NJ sent the new numbers in. NJ has reporting issues constantly.

The past few days yes. It's really f-uped but I like the JH report as they will go back and correct it as they did go back and correct most of NJ issues when NJ sent the new numbers in. NJ has reporting issues constantly.
Definitely a good resource.

I haven't been able to find this info anywhere and I'm surprised I haven't seen the question asked- are antibody test results lumped in with diagnostic test results when the states report daily cases and test positivity?

I haven't been able to find this info anywhere and I'm surprised I haven't seen the question asked- are antibody test results lumped in with diagnostic test results when the states report daily cases and test positivity?
Some states do, and some do not.

Scientific community seems to view it as a faux pas.

It's really a matter of distance right? If you are outdoors but people are tight, then yeah masks, but outdoors with space, no mask necessary.

Someone has posted an example of masks in cars which isn't that crazy, and imo, if you're comfortable while doing it, then go for it.

Yes, that was my point. Distance and proximity rule. We are on the same page.

And this would apply to the car issue. If you were driving other people in your car, yes than wearing a mask makes sense or if you are a passenger in someone else's car, same thing.

Albany County with a population of 500,000+ has had a total of 100 deaths and that includes nursing homes. Everybody wears a mask when they enter a store or public building. But outside, it depends on the situation.

I really don't get what we are arguing about?

Yes, that was my point. Distance and proximity rule. We are on the same page.

And this would apply to the car issue. If you were driving other people in your car, yes than wearing a mask makes sense or if you are a passenger in someone else's car, same thing.

Albany County with a population of 500,000+ has had a total of 100 deaths and that includes nursing homes. Everybody wears a mask when they enter a store or public building. But outside, it depends on the situation.

I really don't get what we are arguing about?
Ha, I was agreeing with your main point about masks outside, just adding on a little.

The masks in the car point was something different and the posters reasoning was something like: If I'm going to multiple places in a single trip I will wear the mask for the entire voyage instead of taking it off and on, and thus putting his hands near his face.

Not something I do, but there is some merit to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT