ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wearing a mask isn't meant to protect YOU from the virus. You're afraid of the big, bad government telling you what to do so you put everyone around you at risk.

Coward.
Seems to me my little friend when I ignore the EO's I am not affraid of the gov't. And if people want to avoid me that's up to them . I 'm not offended.

Seems to me my little friend when I ignore the EO's I am not affraid of the gov't. And if people want to avoid me that's up to them . I 'm not offended.

What "seems to you" and "reality" are usually totally different. Just like now.

What a badass - you avoid Manning up and taking the simplest of actions that could help to fight a pandemic, then put the impetus on others to avoid you. . Then act like the people taking responsibility for themselves are the scared ones. Why? So you can avoid a little itching on your tender lady face?

Total coward.

Read an interesting article about people potentially not getting the vaccine initially (think it was NYT but cant refind the article).

Obviously there are the normal anti-vaxxer crazies.

They also highlighted and spoke to liberal Democrats potentially not taking the vaccine at first under suspicion that Trump played fast and loose with safety standards.

What "seems to you" and "reality" are usually totally different. Just like now.

What a badass - you avoid Manning up and taking the simplest of actions that could help to fight a pandemic, then put the impetus on others to avoid you. . Then act like the people taking responsibility for themselves are the scared ones. Why? So you can avoid a little itching on your tender lady face?

Total coward.
The virus is looking for you. Run RUN AWAY. And YES I am a BAD ASS for not wearing a mask . All it says is I am NOT affraid of an overblown virus or the gov't. So you can keep hiding under your bed your missing alot .

The virus is looking for you. Run RUN AWAY. And YES I am a BAD ASS for not wearing a mask . All it says is I am NOT affraid of an overblown virus or the gov't. So you can keep hiding under your bed your missing alot .

You keep deluding yourself, weakling. I'll be out every day, like always. Acting like a functional member of society ...and helping your old af ass along the way.

Somebody pinch me. The NYT published this?

"In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found."

"Dr. Mina said he would set the figure at 30, or even less. Those changes would mean the amount of genetic material in a patient’s sample would have to be 100-fold to 1,000-fold higher than the current standard for the test to return a positive result."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/...Lua8C5sdhQZj80E0I30OucwtmfFib78X8dIXmeDQemiEo

Not sure why this would surprise you, since the Times has had consistently strong scientific journalism on COVID. This is an excellent article and dovetails with what I posted last night, including a link to one of Mina's commentaries on the need for a fast, cheap screening test, even if it's not as accurate as the current PCR test, since we need to be finding people who are infectious or soon to be infectious and isolating them. Been talking about this need since early April and thought we would have had something by June.

I like Mina's commentary better than his comments on this article though. For now (until we've deployed the far better antigen screening tests), I'd rather keep the number of amplification cycles, but simply include that with an assessment of that person's infectiousness. I still think such people should quarantine, since it's impossible to know at the point of the test if someone is going to remain asymptomatic (less infectious usually) or if they're on their way to becoming symptomatic (and usually quite infectious 1-2 days before symptoms).

What I'd rather do, though, is follow his recommendation of rolling out these cheap fast tests ASAP as screening tests, only reserving the more sensitive/accurate PCR tests for confirmation testing. When the antigen tests are positive (since less sensitive) it normally means that person is likely infectious and in risky environments, like schools and public-facing occupations, where distancing is hard, use these tests every other day or so, so that we "catch" when people are infectious and quarantine them immediately, instead of getting a very accurate, but largely useless PCR result 5 days after the test. Even if a few folks aren't "caught," when infectious, tons more will be found in a timely manner, greatly reducing transmission rates globally.

I don't think any of this changes anything about the inherent transmissibility or impact/likelihood of death from the virus - it just means we've been finding far more people at the asymptomatic or very early stages of eventual symptomatic infections that we did early on when we were only testing people with symptoms. The issue is we want to find out the results for these people in 15 minutes as opposed to 5 days, so we can take action. The testing Holy Grail would be if we had a fast and extremely sensitive test, so that the tests could be used with confidence for allowing people to attend any event/occasion with confidence they don't have the virus - and if it were tied to a smart phone database, that day's result would probably give one a "pass" to attend any event (or work or school) that day, at least.

No, it means you're a moron, since you have no ability to understand the clear science behind mask wearing, and it means that you don't give a shit about infecting and possibly killing everyone else around you, including family, friends, and your community. You are the poster child for all that's wrong in this country right now.

Scathing rebuke of Dr. Risch's recent editorial in the Journal of Epidemiology (and his follow-up in Newsweek), in which he claimed that early HCQ treatment was a "key to the pandemic crisis," by four of his editorial board colleagues from that same journal (first link). They detailed a number of inaccuracies and errors in his editorial, as well as a number of what they think are flawed analyses/opinions of his related to the existing clinical science around HCQ. Many others have had similar comments (including me), but I actually thought Gorski's very detailed repudiation of Risch's points was the best (2nd link). Below is the abstract from the editorial. And, by the way, Risch has done past consulting work for a couple of the manufacturers of HCQ.

Abstract: In May, this journal published an opinion piece by one of the members of the Editorial Board, Dr. Harvey Risch, that reviewed several papers and argued that using hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) + azithromycin (AZ) early to treat symptomatic COVID-19 cases in high-risk patients should be broadly applied. As members of the journal’s editorial board, we are strongly supportive of open debate in science, which is essential even on highly contentious issues. However, we must also be thorough in our examination of the facts and open to changing our minds when new information arises. In this commentary, we document several important errors in the manuscript by Dr. Risch, review the literature he presented and demonstrate why it is not of sufficient quality to support scale up of HCQ+AZ, and then discuss the literature that has been generated since his publication, which also does not support use of this therapy. Unfortunately, the current scientific evidence does not support HCQ+AZ as an effective treatment for COVID-19, if it ever did; and even suggests many risks. Continuing to push the view that it is an essential treatment in the face of this evidence is irresponsible and harmful to the many people already suffering from infection.

Reactions: Greg2020
Actual it says you are inconsiderate of others in our society

The mask serves to protect other people not you alone

Not sure why this would surprise you, since the Times has had consistently strong scientific journalism on COVID. This is an excellent article and dovetails with what I posted last night, including a link to one of Mina's commentaries on the need for a fast, cheap screening test, even if it's not as accurate as the current PCR test, since we need to be finding people who are infectious or soon to be infectious and isolating them. Been talking about this need since early April and thought we would have had something by June.

I like Mina's commentary better than his comments on this article though. For now (until we've deployed the far better antigen screening tests), I'd rather keep the number of amplification cycles, but simply include that with an assessment of that person's infectiousness. I still think such people should quarantine, since it's impossible to know at the point of the test if someone is going to remain asymptomatic (less infectious usually) or if they're on their way to becoming symptomatic (and usually quite infectious 1-2 days before symptoms).

What I'd rather do, though, is follow his recommendation of rolling out these cheap fast tests ASAP as screening tests, only reserving the more sensitive/accurate PCR tests for confirmation testing. When the antigen tests are positive (since less sensitive) it normally means that person is likely infectious and in risky environments, like schools and public-facing occupations, where distancing is hard, use these tests every other day or so, so that we "catch" when people are infectious and quarantine them immediately, instead of getting a very accurate, but largely useless PCR result 5 days after the test. Even if a few folks aren't "caught," when infectious, tons more will be found in a timely manner, greatly reducing transmission rates globally.

I don't think any of this changes anything about the inherent transmissibility or impact/likelihood of death from the virus - it just means we've been finding far more people at the asymptomatic or very early stages of eventual symptomatic infections that we did early on when we were only testing people with symptoms. The issue is we want to find out the results for these people in 15 minutes as opposed to 5 days, so we can take action. The testing Holy Grail would be if we had a fast and extremely sensitive test, so that the tests could be used with confidence for allowing people to attend any event/occasion with confidence they don't have the virus - and if it were tied to a smart phone database, that day's result would probably give one a "pass" to attend any event (or work or school) that day, at least.

While it doesn't change the inherent risk of transmissibility, it changes the perceived risk. The perceived risk is what politicians are using to justify their continuation of unreasonable policies.

No, it means you're a moron, since you have no ability to understand the clear science behind mask wearing, and it means that you don't give a shit about infecting and possibly killing everyone else around you, including family, friends, and your community. You are the poster child for all that's wrong in this country right now.

Such a fear monger. How many of those 531 Alabama kids have died? And don't come back with killing Grandma. She may get the regular flu in December and die anyways.

The more you post on this the more you sound like an ass clown. Take a hike you irresponsible lunatic.

One thing that never gets mentioned with COVID in any of the information or news. The poor health of our country. 90% of the fatalities Here have also had comorbidities including diabetes, heart disease or obesity. We could probably have eliminated half of the deaths if we just practiced a more healthy lifestyle like the rest of the end industrialized countries. Personal accountability.

We have upwards of 35 to 40 million people with diabetes in this country. This should be a wake up call to take control of your health and reduce the risk of being hospitalized when you do get the flu or COVID. Instead of sitting around and downing Big Mac’s and donuts waiting for a vaccine, your best chance for survival and a long healthy life is personal responsibility.

If masks work why are hospitals still restricting loved ones from visiting theit non covid sick family members

Ask questions...why accept these cruel policies where people die alone

I reply to these mask questions you pose often—and typically find that you’re excited to present evidence that masks aren’t forcefields. If you want near-100% efficacy, shelter in place. Or in the case of the hospitals, if you want to limit the amount of spread coming out of / and around your hospitals, keep guests out.

Masks are an effective alternative to not wearing masks, not an effective alternative to isolating the sick entirely.

As a society, shelter in place / total isolation come with other costs (or in the case of isolating all of the sick, is nearly impossible), and we’ve largely decided we can’t make that trade for an extended period of time; so the alternative is mask or no mask.

Hospitals can isolate their sick patients from outside society, so they do.

One thing that never gets mentioned with COVID in any of the information or news. The poor health of our country. 90% of the fatalities Here have also had comorbidities including diabetes, heart disease or obesity. We could probably have eliminated half of the deaths if we just practiced a more healthy lifestyle like the rest of the end industrialized countries. Personal accountability.

We have upwards of 35 to 40 million people with diabetes in this country. This should be a wake up call to take control of your health and reduce the risk of being hospitalized when you do get the flu or COVID. Instead of sitting around and downing Big Mac’s and donuts waiting for a vaccine, your best chance for survival and a long healthy life is personal responsibility.
And yet 4 billion people are looking to immigrate to the USA to partake in our horrific lives and lifestyles...Yeah we’re the most evil , corrupt and brutal nation on the face of the earth...we enjoy our lives and yet pre pandemic the majority for the most part never gave this “ health” issue a second thought... I would bet upon that fact... all of a sudden we are out of control and this is the reason for the deaths... no it is based upon nature if we are to believe what the so called experts claim...let’s be honest your not concerned about how others take care of their health ...your more concerned with having a personal platform...I’m 70 ...6’1” 198 and though my BMI is excellent by insurance standards I would be moderately obese... it’s what people wish it to be or appear to be.

+1
Obesity is the biggest risk factor with corona, directly and indirectly (since obesity is a driving cause of diabetes and HD). Our sky high obesity rate in the US (over 40%) makes us highly vulnerable to corona complications, even with younger patients.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
And yet 4 billion people are looking to immigrate to the USA to partake in our horrific lives and lifestyles...Yeah we’re the most evil , corrupt and brutal nation on the face of the earth...we enjoy our lives and yet pre pandemic the majority for the most part never gave this “ health” issue a second thought... I would bet upon that fact... all of a sudden we are out of control and this is the reason for the deaths... no it is based upon nature if we are to believe what the so called experts claim...let’s be honest your not concerned about how others take care of their health ...your more concerned with having a personal platform...I’m 70 ...6’1” 198 and though my BMI is excellent by insurance standards I would be moderately obese... it’s what people wish it to be or appear to be.
Lose some weight fatso!
😀

Lose some weight fatso!
😀
Thanks lol...when I had my yearly wellness physical 3 weeks ago my doctor said “ no you are not obese based upon your BMI and test results” ...my goal is to lose 10 pounds and get to my playing weight at 18 ...I’m anticipating a comeback in the spring of 2021.

Thanks lol...when I had my yearly wellness physical 3 weeks ago my doctor said “ no you are not obese based upon your BMI and test results” ...my goal is to lose 10 pounds and get to my playing weight at 18 ...I’m anticipating a comeback in the spring of 2021.
About 3 years ago, I got back down to my college weight after years of marriage and parenthood gave me the excuse to creep up a little. Looking forward to your comeback in the spring! :)

Reactions: LC-88 and RUBOB72
I reply to these mask questions you pose often—and typically find that you’re excited to present evidence that masks aren’t forcefields. If you want near-100% efficacy, shelter in place. Or in the case of the hospitals, if you want to limit the amount of spread coming out of / and around your hospitals, keep guests out.

Masks are an effective alternative to not wearing masks, not an effective alternative to isolating the sick entirely.

As a society, shelter in place / total isolation come with other costs (or in the case of isolating all of the sick, is nearly impossible), and we’ve largely decided we can’t make that trade for an extended period of time; so the alternative is mask or no mask.

My mother went to the hospital the end of April with a urinary infection. She was fine until she became parinoid being there for 3 days and developed deliria. She could not talk to us on the phone. We were not allowed to visit to see how we could help. She was trapped like a prisoner in there. Second rate patient before covid ones. Hard for doctors to contact us. It was a mess, She came home after 2 weeks trapped like a prisoner. Unfortunately she passed 2 days later. Could we have helped her more if we were allowed in to access the situation? Its ridiculous how hospitals still have banned visitors.

correct- CDC now states 94% of Covid deaths had at least 2 other major underlying medical issues. This would take Covid only deaths down to 11k.

I wouldn't say it never gets mentioned. It's been talked about here for sure, and a quick Covid/Obesity google search reveals links to recent articles from CNN the BBC and FOX.

Somebody pinch me. The NYT published this?

"In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found."

"Dr. Mina said he would set the figure at 30, or even less. Those changes would mean the amount of genetic material in a patient’s sample would have to be 100-fold to 1,000-fold higher than the current standard for the test to return a positive result."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/...Lua8C5sdhQZj80E0I30OucwtmfFib78X8dIXmeDQemiEo
The NYT's is certainly left leaning, and this will show itself most in it's editorial's, but there are few institutions that can match the Times in terms of publishing quality information.

There is a reason their articles are so often cited by right leaning institutions such as FOX news.

Here is another data analysis suggesting stay at home orders were fruitless then, and are fruitless now. I really wouldn't mind if someone could explain how this is all wrong and I shouldn't be sharing it.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1266747362728280065.html
I think there were certain areas, or even most areas, which didn't need a lockdown, but as an example NYC at it's peak, because we let it get out of hand, was a spot that likely needed a lock down.

Now could we have jumped in earlier with other measures so as to make the lockdown unnecessary? Sure, but given we didn't and given where we were at that time, I think it was a good call.

Hypocrisy

My mother went to the hospital the end of April with a urinary infection. She was fine until she became parinoid being there for 3 days and developed deliria. She could not talk to us on the phone. We were not allowed to visit to see how we could help. She was trapped like a prisoner in there. Second rate patient before covid ones. Hard for doctors to contact us. It was a mess, She came home after 2 weeks trapped like a prisoner. Unfortunately she passed 2 days later. Could we have helped her more if we were allowed in to access the situation? Its ridiculous how hospitals still have banned visitors.

1) Sorry for your loss; very tough and frustrating. Hope you and/or members of your family at least got to see her and offer some comfort in those last two days.

2) I guess the hospitals’ decision to restrict visitors comes with its own costs; and they’ve decided that the costs are worth it to prevent Covid spread in and around the hospital / community. That doesn’t mean they’ve arrived at the right decision, but it’s the one they’ve reached.

3) My point is that the decision doesn’t have much to do with the separate conversations about masks in society. I don’t think anyone is arguing that masks are as effective at reducing transmission as no contact at all, what could be as effective as that? However, masks are a better alternative than no masks in trying to achieve the three-part goal of reopening society, muting transmission, and giving people confidence that they have some protection when they go to the store or ride the bus, etc.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU-05
correct- CDC now states 94% of Covid deaths had at least 2 other major underlying medical issues. This would take Covid only deaths down to 11k.

Be careful with that one. That includes things like pneumonia, which of course comes along with Covid.

The study/data they released in July is more realistic since it only includes things typically think of as pre-existing conditions. That was about 75%.

NJ released some updated demographics recently as well and the 75% pre-existing conditions is consistent with NJ. The good news is less and less people are dying without pre-existing conditions.

What about those that have been tested repeatedly and know they don't have it?

For the past 6 months,they've been imploring us to wash our hands.Now with the opening of the gyms on Tuesday,they're forbidding us to wash our entire bodies unless the gym also has a pool.The end game will be tens of thousands quitting their gyms to join the more expensive gyms equipped with such.How much scarole was deposited into Biden's campaign by LA Fitness to make possible this nonsensical ruling?It seems that chlorine isn't the only green stuff that has a transmission rate.

In 9 and one half weeks:

If Biden wins,Fauci will be saying:"What-a virus?Old-a country,maybe.Not-a this-a country."

If Trump wins,he'll tell Congress:"I never heard of no vaccine,Senator.Oh! I was an investor in one of Mr.Gates' companies,but that was years ago."

COVID 19-Bringing 2021 deaths into 2020 with unparalleled efficiency.

Sorry, but this thread is not a complaints box or a place to post crazy things like politicians being involved in gym showers.

For the past 6 months,they've been imploring us to wash our hands.Now with the opening of the gyms on Tuesday,they're forbidding us to wash our entire bodies unless the gym also has a pool.The end game will be tens of thousands quitting their gyms to join the more expensive gyms equipped with such.How much scarole was deposited into Biden's campaign by LA Fitness to make possible this nonsensical ruling?It seems that chlorine isn't the only green stuff that has a transmission rate.

In 9 and one half weeks:

If Biden wins,Fauci will be saying:"What-a virus?Old-a country,maybe.Not-a this-a country."

If Trump wins,he'll tell Congress:"I never heard of no vaccine,Senator.Oh! I was an investor in one of Mr.Gates' companies,but that was years ago."

You’re one of those “hold nobody in power accountable, blame everything on conspiracy” types. Nice — good time for you to be alive; hope you’re enjoying the moment.

In 9 and one half weeks:

Or people will just shower when they get home.

Have their always been so many conspiracy theorists? 7 or 8 absolutely crazy people in this thread alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT