ADVERTISEMENT

Crowd of 46,093

First game of the year, top ten opponent....even five years ago it would have been unthinkable to not crack 50.
Rutgers lost a lot of luster under Flood and getting attendance back isn't going to happen until the non season ticket holding RU fans feel RU has a chance to win against teams like Washington.
The OSU and Michigan fanbases would buy enough tickets to make 50,000 obtainable with the lack of RU fans buying , but Washington is to far away so this crowd shouldn't be considered bad.
More games like this 50,000 can be made without needing nelp from the opponents traveling fanbase.

I said 45 of the students sold out ...

They looked 2000 shirts and we still get 46k

Not bad at all

Folks were in early ... I didn't get my War before the Shore towel!

Reactions: RU22
Folks were in early ... I didn't get my War before the Shore towel!

Yeah I was in over an hour early and was told they already ran out. Was excited that it would be jam packed but then I realized that many people just had taken/received multiple bags of towels.

For all the people out there that trash the students I think their area was much more crowded than many sections on the sidelines (not excusing their mass exodus earlier than they should). In contrast The bottom 1/3 of sec 130 was almost empty at the start of the game.

Not true. Not fair. We were literally 1 big play away from being in it at the start of the 4th. The game certainly had gone a bit stale, but that was embarrassing. I felt bad for the players.

Agreed. We were absolutely still in it st that point. 2 score game. Far, far crazier scenarios happen nearly every week in college football.

The exodus began at the end of the 3rd quarter which was pathetic, and student section looked like the game had been over for 30 minutes.

HONESTLY, they should get some tshirt launchers and ONLY give tshirts/towels/whatever to fans who stay for the entire game. When the crowds disappear, it tells every kid on the field playing their hearts out that they should throw in the towel too. You'd never see this at a big-time program. Hopefully we'll get there one day.

I never had to park further in the RAC parking lot ever. I had to park almost to the end of the general parking lot. Very surprised like the game.

For all the people out there that trash the students I think their area was much more crowded than many sections on the sidelines (not excusing their mass exodus earlier than they should). In contrast The bottom 1/3 of sec 130 was almost empty at the start of the game.
Encouraged by the student section. They looked like they were having a lot fun. They were in their seats early.

Yes but the game was late.
This is what a lot of posters are complaining about week after week, year after year...the excuses RU fans have for not staying to support the team until the end (or even showing up because of the weather)...granted some people have young kids but...the students? Thousands of regular fans?

This was a very close game against a top 10 team and we want our kids fighting until
The end to pull off an epic upset while fans steam out of the game like it's a blowout? The top college football programs don't have this issue...seems to be a common occurrence around here which is a shame...

1. Labor Day Weekend
2. Ranked opponent but the casual walk up to the window fan doesn't get jazzed by Washington.
3. 2-10 and getting embarrassed by ranked teams last year.

All things considered the crowd was OK. Now next week against a lesser opponent in a game we should win i hope we can get 40+ again.

Reactions: ScarletRunner
This is what a lot of posters are complaining about week after week, year after year...the excuses RU fans have for not staying to support the team until the end (or even showing up because of the weather)...granted some people have young kids but...the students? Thousands of regular fans?

This was a very close game against a top 10 team and we want our kids fighting until
The end to pull off an epic upset while fans steam out of the game like it's a blowout? The top college football programs don't have this issue...seems to be a common occurrence around here which is a shame...
Hey there a lot of fans that already given up on the team and don't go anymore.

Reactions: RU#1fan and RU22
Had thought we'd get 45K and it looked in that range to me. Pretty good crowd coming off such a horrible season. Weather helped, of course, given our very fair weather fan base. Nice to see the students back, although would've been nice if more stayed until the end. Impressive turnout by the UW fans in the upper levels. I assume our strong performance against a top team will energize a few folks to come the next 2 weeks and beyond (assuming we beat EMU).

Very disappointed in the sausage fest in the hot tubs, though - checked several times during the game (binoculars aren't just for isolating on line play, lol) and didn't see any talent - dance/cheerleader squads looked great, though.

Reactions: Local Shill
Good crowd at the Scarlet Walk, still have a long way to go but those that were there were loud! And the band was great. They are definitely improved.

Thought I was in the twilight zone when I turned to look at the student section early fourth qtr. and some giant space ship must have picked up 8000 bodies and delivered them to frat row. They had a disciplined game plan.

Reactions: RU22 and RUnTeX
There were not 46,000 people there.

It sure looked like it to me, and I've been to almost every game for 46 years. Crowd was a bit slow entering, but by the 2nd qtr, we looked up (we are in 127) and said damn, that upper deck is filled from end section to end section, and the end zones were filled too, Student section was filled early as well.

Good Job Students and fans ! Let's do it again next week !

It sure looked like it to me, and I've been to almost every game for 46 years. Crowd was a bit slow entering, but by the 2nd qtr, we looked up (we are in 127) and said damn, that upper deck is filled from end section to end section, and the end zones were filled too, Student section was filled early as well.

I've been going for 22 years and I'll get my eyes checked next week.

Reactions: Abro1975
The mass exodus at the start of the 4th when we still had a shot should tell you something about our "fan base".
At some games the exodus begins at half time after some fans arrive in the middle of the first quarter.Tail gating seems more important than being in the stadium before game starts.This isn't a new phenomena but just the norm at football games.

Thought it was a good crowd based on low expectations but no way were there 46,000 people there with just 6,000 empty seats. The announced average attendance last year was 44,000 but the actual average scanned tickets was only 28,000 per game according to Dunleavy's report the other day. Each upper deck holds 5,000 and we know the new addition in the holds 10,000 and there were a lot of empty seats in all of those those sections.

It looked full on TV. That is what gives national audiences the feeling that this a well supported team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT